Metal Storm logo
KoRn

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 13:33
One of the most misunderstood bands of today. Hated by almost every metaller everywhere yet they command a powerful fan base.

As far as I know they did invent Nu Metal and have managed to keep their sound fresh and original since then. Their debut self titled album is still brilliant by today's standards and is one of my all time fave albums. Perfect for that teen angst.

I strongly urge any of you neigh-sayers to open your mind and give this band a chance.
22.10.2011 - 14:07
Slayer666
Actually, I rather liked "Get Up". Who knows, maybe this metal-dubstep thingy is actually going somewhere.
It's weird that I like it, considering how much pure dubstep annoys the fuck out of me.
23.10.2011 - 13:57
JD
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 22.10.2011 at 14:07

Actually, I rather liked "Get Up". Who knows, maybe this metal-dubstep thingy is actually going somewhere.

I hope not.

You see, I liked them more when they were Hiphop-Metal.
01.11.2011 - 16:36
Olli
Been listening to "Fear and the nervous system" a side project of Munkys. Some good shit
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
27.11.2011 - 20:51
MetalicIron
These guys are gods! dubstep + metal = new extreme genre
----
/m\ METAL /m\
29.11.2011 - 20:04
Baz Anderson
staff
I'm not really a fan of dubstep, but I'm going to give this new album a go at some point. Could be interesting...
I admire their push to do something pretty original again.
29.11.2011 - 20:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Dubstep isn't original. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.11.2011 - 00:57
Baz Anderson
staff
It is when mixed with their kind of metal, from what I understand it isn't just a straight-up dubstep album.
30.11.2011 - 01:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Dubstep is essentially making a song with the wubwubwub sound. It doesn't matter what genre - you can look up dubstep Final Fantasy songs, dubstep pop songs, rock songs, you name it. In fact, I'm sure people have already made dubstep metal songs.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.11.2011 - 01:46
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2011 at 01:04

Dubstep is essentially making a song with the wubwubwub sound. It doesn't matter what genre - you can look up dubstep Final Fantasy songs, dubstep pop songs, rock songs, you name it. In fact, I'm sure people have already made dubstep metal songs.

Indeed they have, and it really sucks.
02.12.2011 - 15:34
Olli
Had a chance to hear the whole new album, I quite liked it. I do expect a lot of people will hate it though but I've always liked electronic music as well as metal so it's a winner for me

Oh I should also say although I like electronic music I don't like much dubstep, but combined with Korns sound it is pretty cool.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
02.12.2011 - 22:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 30.11.2011 at 01:46
Indeed they have, and it really sucks.

Wow, that was horrible... I had to turn it off after about a minute and half.
03.12.2011 - 13:36
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
What messed up between Fieldy Korn and Davis is none of my business but I do have to say that at this moment the band is ended being a SHIT!! I do respect what they did towards Nu-metal, they changed the whole scenario along with some other nuheads but right now......??!! Meh.

And the same goes with a Linkin Park[ Good band gone pathetic].
04.12.2011 - 02:35
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Troy Killjoy on 30.11.2011 at 01:04

It's kind of the Metalcore or Deathcore of electronic music. There are a mix of good and bad artists, but in general it's swallowed whole by a lot of people and hated by a lot of elitists, with both camps pigeonholing it all into either genius or shit. It's unfortunate though because there is good dubstep, in my opinion, and not just brostep. As for Korn, I listened to a few songs, it sounded alright but just made me want to listen to breakcore radio on last.fm.
----
The force will be with you, always.
04.12.2011 - 16:20
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Just gave a The Path OF Totality a spin and... Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. I had very mixed feelings of what is to be with this mixture of their style and dubstep, but it actually fits pretty well together. I have to give it a few more rounds to get a more in-depth view of it and create a more defined opinion, but so far I'm not disappointed as I was with Remember Who You Are. But I can't overcome the feeling that if KoRn took the idea of Totality and made it 100% KoRn it would be a blast. The melodies really stick to me, so I'm definately wondering what this album would sound like if all songs were dubster free and 100% KoRn.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
04.12.2011 - 19:55
Kennoth
Written by AnGina-- on 28.06.2011 at 09:45

Hell yea, yesterday in Zagreb was great, but the concert had one colossus flaw - it was way too short! Srsly, I could probably sit there and listen and watch these guys for at least 2 more hours.

So, @Kennoth, liked the setlist? Loads of super old school songs, I only totally missed ''Trash'', really wished they'd play it and the encore ending well... They could've played all the songs from the beggining to the end instead of uniting them into one piece.

But overall, these guys are insane on stage, especially Jonathan in kilt with bagpipes, that was awesome. And not the mention the ''new'' drummer, that guy has some crazy drumming skillz.

Overall, I'm totally blissed to have finally see & hear *my* KoRn live, and when they played Get Up (which I never heard before *blush*), I almost got tears in my eyes.

I loved the setlist! When they opened up with Blind, and he screamed "are you ready??" people moshed like apeshit! And they even played Alone I Break, which is one of my favorites, and they rarely do it live, and there was Thoughtless in the medley, which IS my favorite song

And Get Up actually sounded rather cool live, but it was sort of metallic version, not really the real thing. I'm not liking their kornstep stuff at all.

Btw: You were sitting?
----
*insert something deep and profound*
04.12.2011 - 20:02
Kennoth
Written by Valentin B on 01.08.2011 at 11:19

There's something i don't understand about Korn, especially their lyrics:

Davis is one of the richest musicians in the world. He's got millions of dollars in bank accounts, endorsement deals, fancy cars and huge houses. He can have any girl he wants, he can afford the most opulent luxury and live a life of comfort and affluence that others only dream of. Yet, he still writes songs about teenage angst and being molested and bullied in school, with extra emotional/whiny vocals. Something doesn't add up: either he ran out of things to write about, found that this is Korn's "commercial hook", or he simply can't get over that part of his life (veery slim chance). Either way something's definitely fishy here.

Every band has a gimmick. Why are Immortal, at their 40s still wearing corpsepaint and singing about the devil and dark forests, and why are Rhapsody (of fire) still chasing dragons? It sells. While I wasn't a huge fan of their untitled album, it did mark a new beginning of their musicianship and lyric writing, not much of your typical angst there, it's more abstract. You should check it out.

Not a fan of their latest release though, I expected better.
----
05.12.2011 - 06:40
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Spirit Molecule on 04.07.2011 at 06:24

Still don't like the vocals

When their vocals were good? Out of all their releases till yet[excluding their new dubcrap shit...havent heard off] they just had a strong bass and some low lead key notes. Jonathan gotta only job ta do and to far extent he thinks its really cool is " to pendulistic his weezy, drunken, disfigured voicebox, hairy words coming out of his mouth"] HE IS JUST A SCENE KID AND EVERYONE IN NUHEADS KNOW ABOUT THIS. Fiedly is the only guy who saves Korn on many occasions.
05.12.2011 - 10:40
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.12.2011 at 06:40

When their vocals were good? Out of all their releases till yet[excluding their new dubcrap shit...havent heard off] they just had a strong bass and some low lead key notes. Jonathan gotta only job ta do and to far extent he thinks its really cool is " to pendulistic his weezy, drunken, disfigured voicebox, hairy words coming out of his mouth"] HE IS JUST A SCENE KID AND EVERYONE IN NUHEADS KNOW ABOUT THIS. Fiedly is the only guy who saves Korn on many occasions.

Hmmmm, I just don't know what to say.
I thought I had a hard time understanding bad english.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
05.12.2011 - 16:41
Kennoth

So just out of curiosity... you live in UK and yet you can't express yourself for shit. What's your excuse?
----
05.12.2011 - 17:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by AnGina-- on 04.12.2011 at 16:20

Just gave a The Path OF Totality a spin and... Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. I had very mixed feelings of what is to be with this mixture of their style and dubstep, but it actually fits pretty well together. I have to give it a few more rounds to get a more in-depth view of it and create a more defined opinion, but so far I'm not disappointed as I was with Remember Who You Are. But I can't overcome the feeling that if KoRn took the idea of Totality and made it 100% KoRn it would be a blast. The melodies really stick to me, so I'm definately wondering what this album would sound like if all songs were dubster free and 100% KoRn.

I have right now just finished listening to it, and I pretty much feel the exactly the same way about the album. I was expecting to really hate the album, but I didn't.

But I also was left with the feeling that the album would have sounded so much better had there been no dubstep on it, and the songs were done in the traditional Korn way. The whole time, I was thinking "What's Munky doing?", cos I couldn't hear any guitar! "Kill Mercy Within" was the song that stood out most to me on the first listen... hearing that done in the old Korn style would be awesome, as I thought even with the dubstep, that song was great. "Get Up!" and "Narcissistic Cannibal" were also very good songs, even in the dubstep style.
05.12.2011 - 18:13
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Kennoth on 05.12.2011 at 16:41

So just out of curiosity... you live in UK and yet you can't express yourself for shit. What's your excuse?

Its coz he's from the UK!! No one understands them!
----

Last fm
Don't click here
05.12.2011 - 18:28
Kennoth
Written by Spirit Molecule on 05.12.2011 at 18:13

Must be the accent...
----
05.12.2011 - 18:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Spirit Molecule on 05.12.2011 at 18:13

Its cause you're from the beef prohibited place. What a stupid belief!!? xD
05.12.2011 - 18:55
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.12.2011 at 18:52

Hmmm. Ok
----

Last fm
Don't click here
05.12.2011 - 19:02
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Spirit Molecule on 05.12.2011 at 18:55

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.12.2011 at 18:52

Hmmm. Ok

Dont take it seriously Bor!! D:
06.12.2011 - 22:31
Been a bit nervous checking this one out, Korn were one of the first metal bands I got into in Secondary school and still listen to the older albums fairly regularly and they are amazing live. The album seems to have totally split people but only one way to find out if I like it by giving it a listen I suppose!
----
Heavy Metal Bullet
Blog for New Metal Bands and Album/Gig Reviews
http://heavymetalbullet.blogspot.com/
05.01.2012 - 23:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I puked a little when i heard their new album.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.01.2012 - 03:11
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 22.10.2011 at 14:07

It's weird that I like it, considering how much pure dubstep annoys the fuck out of me.

I don't want to listen more Dubstep from Korn. One time is enough. althought I enjoyed this fusion, nothing compare with the good old korn!
19.04.2012 - 17:58
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I've really been getting into dubstep lately and think that the Skrillex stuff mixed in with Korn is great...

There I said it! Music is all about progression and change people...stop being so bloody closed minded, fuck....shut the fuck up, get up, and love the new Korn album...
19.04.2012 - 18:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Hating dubstep is being closed-minded now? Just because someone doesn't like what you like doesn't make them unreceptive to new ideas.

Skrillex is a non-talent and Korn are bandwagon jumpers.
----