Metal Storm logo
KoRn

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 13:33
One of the most misunderstood bands of today. Hated by almost every metaller everywhere yet they command a powerful fan base.

As far as I know they did invent Nu Metal and have managed to keep their sound fresh and original since then. Their debut self titled album is still brilliant by today's standards and is one of my all time fave albums. Perfect for that teen angst.

I strongly urge any of you neigh-sayers to open your mind and give this band a chance.
19.04.2012 - 18:07
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.04.2012 at 18:02

Hating dubstep is being closed-minded now? Just because someone doesn't like what you like doesn't make them unreceptive to new ideas.

Skrillex is a non-talent and Korn are bandwagon jumpers.

OK, I didn't necessarily mean to say that hating dubstep is being close-minded. DO NOT twist my words. I said that not being open to musical progression is close-minded. Korn were trying to progress their sound a little bit by trying the dubstep thing in their music to see how it would sound. They are always open to things; I think it works and some people do not.

I don't really see how Skrillex is a non-talent, if you ask me...

That's OK though...on Metalstorm, its not cool to follow the herd...how Kantian of this place, eh? Why do you think I was gone for so long?

EDIT AGAIN: Yeah, Korn really started to become bandwagon jumpers around Issues, right?
19.04.2012 - 18:35
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It's pointless arguing with people who get all up in arms because our community is metal-based and the majority of our listeners aren't as forward-thinking as you.

Whatevs, enjoy being so different from the rest of us.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.04.2012 - 18:39
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.04.2012 at 18:35

It's pointless arguing with people who get all up in arms because our community is metal-based and the majority of our listeners aren't as forward-thinking as you.

Whatevs, enjoy being so different from the rest of us.

Gah! That's not what I meant either! Anyways, never mind...its fine...

But....here's the thing...there are so many things being incorporated with metal...why not dubstep?

And you're already so different and special in a good way anyways...that's why we're metalheads and not like all the other cookie cutter people out there, right?
19.04.2012 - 18:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 19.04.2012 at 18:39
But....here's the thing...there are so many things being incorporated with metal...why not dubstep? And you're already so different and special in a good way anyways...that's why we're metalheads and not like all the other cookie cutter people out there, right?

Sounds like I'm misinterpreting you left and right...

As for your questions, it's not that dubstep being mixed with metal is inherently bad. It's that the posterboy of the most generic, cookie-cutter (to borrow from your post) dubstep artist is collaborating with the most trendy metal band of them all. It paints a really bad picture for both parties. They think it looks like two opposing religions joining forces, when in reality it's basically suicide bombers collaborating with the Westboro Baptist Church.

And regardless of the music we listen to, we're all people and therefore different from each other - even if we sell our individuality to look and act like someone else.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.04.2012 - 18:53
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Troy Killjoy: Very good points, dude...can't really argue with that! In all fairness though, there are only two songs on the new Korn album that have Skrillex on it...a lot of those other artists that are dubstep artists are not really posterboys that I know of....
14.05.2012 - 10:51
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
If you hate LB, Korn or whatever.

There is this band who raps with a heavy vocals screaming and little bit of sections of rapcore.
22.05.2012 - 02:07
Zombie94
While I feel that Korn's current work is a total abomination, I have found at least one song from them that I like. Everything else has been ruined for me by aspects of their music like rapping, an obnoxiously loud bass mix or their use of samples. And aside from all that, they look plain silly

24.05.2012 - 18:23
Uldreth
I am curious about one thing. How did the new Korn album end up in the 2011 Awards for Industrial/Cyber/Electronic Metal?

I haven't heard enough of it to form a good opinion of it (and I am not sure I want to, that kind of "dubstep" used in it is not my kind of dubstep, I do enjoy Skrillex' EARLY works <but it IS NOT fukken dubstep> and I don't mind Exicision at all, as well as digging some stuff by Noisia (but that is not dubstep either) but overall I prefer the Distance/Burial-esque sound) but looking at the widespread hate it gets I find it really unbelievable the staff actually voted that in.

Were there not enough industrial/cyber/electronic metal releases that year or did the staff actually like that album?
24.05.2012 - 18:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Uldreth on 24.05.2012 at 18:23
I am curious about one thing. How did the new Korn album end up in the 2011 Awards for Industrial/Cyber/Electronic Metal? Were there not enough industrial/cyber/electronic metal releases that year...?

I believe you answered your own question there.
----
20.06.2012 - 17:03
FinnishSammich
The Path of Totality was pretty good in my opinion, the second best of their 21st century albums.
20.06.2012 - 22:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by FinnishSammich on 20.06.2012 at 17:03

The Path of Totality was pretty good in my opinion, the second best of their 21st century albums.

I think it was a fucking shitshow for a few reasons, one, I never thought Korn was good. Their old stuff was okay when I was like 12 or 13. But they just followed trends and added a dubstep artist and electronica to their music. they aren't even doing it for teh music anymore, juts making what teh public likes.

Just my 2 cents.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.06.2012 - 22:20
FinnishSammich
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 22:14

I think it was a fucking shitshow for a few reasons, one, I never thought Korn was good. Their old stuff was okay when I was like 12 or 13. But they just followed trends and added a dubstep artist and electronica to their music. they aren't even doing it for teh music anymore, juts making what teh public likes.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, that's your opinion and I respect that.
But I like dubstep and if you can't guess, I'm a huge fan of Korn.
20.06.2012 - 22:24
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by FinnishSammich on 20.06.2012 at 22:20

Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 22:14

Just my 2 cents.

Well, that's your opinion and I respect that.
But I like dubstep and if you can't guess, I'm a huge fan of Korn.

Yeah, I never really understood dubstep, all I know is that it's gained popularity, and has been drowend with shitty artists.

Also, what Troy said "Skrillex is a non-talent and Korn are bandwagon jumpers." describes how I feel exactly.

I never want metal to be mainstream
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.06.2012 - 22:33
FinnishSammich
Written by Boxcar Willy on 20.06.2012 at 22:24

I never want metal to be mainstream

Well, I don't think you have anything to worry about because Korn made a dubstep album
Also, I'd rather have metal as mainstream here than this guy
26.06.2012 - 06:25
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yesterday I played their greatest hits to remember the good old times. I can't believe I completely forgot about "Alone I Break", lovely song. This band really could write some impressive tunes, I should check more of their LPs.
17.08.2012 - 15:48
Yellax
I remember Korn starting to really loose it with their album Issues. I stopped listening to them. Somebody then told me that The Path Of Totality was some sort of comeback album? Now, I'm a child of the 80s and don't really understand this whole 'dubstep' thing, so can someone please explain to me how Skrillex is supposed to work in Korn's music? Its the most strangest sounding thing, especially in the song Get Up!. The oscillator is quite the clunky-sounding musical instrument. It works a lot better with drum machines and synthesizers, putting it all through an Apple computer and coming up with something like Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites or First Of The Year (Equinox), but is a total overkill with heavy metal guitars and bass.
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.
31.08.2012 - 02:10
burnt-bridge
I dig their old stuff, Life is Peachy and the Self-titled were good and a few of their other early albums has some good moments, but their new albums are really poor, "Korn III" has gotta be one of the blandest albums i've ever heard, and the dubstep album sucks too
08.09.2012 - 11:28
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I used to love Korn when I was 15, 16. It didn't take too long for me to grow tired of them and decide that I didn't really like them anymore. I seriously can hardly listen to a single one of their songs anymore.

I've heard basically fuckin' nothing from their new albums except a couple songs here and there (from their last few albums I think I've heard Evolution, Hold On, Oildale, and Narcissistic Cannibal, and that's it).
I don't mind dubstep that much when it's done right--which it rarely is. Skrillex is not one of those people who does it right. His stuff is by far the worst piece of shit excuse for electronic music I've ever heard.

That being said, Skrillex and Korn together was not as completely disgustingly shitty as I expected it to be. It was almost a pleasant surprise... except for I still didn't really give much of a shit about the song I heard and so I didn't bother to listen to any more of the album.
----
13.09.2012 - 21:52
Junkhead
Hey guys
listen to this new band from israel and share your thoughts !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpjNKCCsiP0
18.09.2012 - 17:18
Sangre Sani
Written by Junkhead on 13.09.2012 at 21:52

Hey guys
listen to this new band from israel and share your thoughts !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpjNKCCsiP0

no
22.09.2012 - 05:42
Killa Cary
Korn as presented by a Korn fan (You can use this as a guide to figure whether you like Korn or not):

1. Korn (self-titled) 1994 - Ground-breaking. Unlike anything by any band before. Raw, aggressive, and emotional vocally. HEAVY guitars, groovy bass, and hard-hitting percussion instrumentally.
Notable Track: Everyone knows Blind, sooooo: Need To

2. Untouchables 2002 - Best produced and best written album. Davis' best vocal work. More alternative style guitar work, but still distinctive to Korn signature style and heavy. The most well put-together track list, there are no fillers. Notable Track: Thoughtless

3. Life is Peachy 1996 - The second release and the sound from the first release still intact. Silveria's best drumming (listen to Chi). Davis is still powerfully emotional and raw, but there is a couple of
immature aspects in this album that take it a step below from being a strong release that the self-titled was (specifically Low Rider, Wicked, and K@#0%! that are skippable fillers).
Notable Track: Kill You

4. Issues 1999 - A more mature release following LIP and Follow the Leader. Definitely an album with a dark vibe and atmosphere. Led by an intro and interludes between tracks, a couple unnecessary (4U and Wish You Could Be Me), but mostly fitting (Am I Going Crazy and It's Gonna Go Away). Very melancholic overall and a versatile release. Notable Track: Dirty

5. Follow The Leader 1998 - The juggernaut. If you didn't know Korn before, you knew them now. Catchy album with new sounds being introduced - ominous industrial touches. The first album not produced by Ross Robinson (Korn, LIP). This is the first album that legitimately features "rap-metal", whatever you wish to call it. The songs Children of the Korn (Feat. Ice Cube) and Cameltosis (Feat. The Pharcyde) aren't bad at all IF you happen to like rap. However, the throwaway All In The Family is a complete abomination, even though it's not meant to be taken seriously. The singles still
were powerful enough to throw Korn into super-stardom and if you think there aren't any strong supporting track, you are dead wrong (try Pretty, Justin, and Seed). Notable Track: Pretty

6. Take A Look In The Mirror 2003- The heaviest album. The bass is overwhelming, almost too much. Jonathan Davis returns to favor the raspy side of his voice from the first two releases while introducing his Death Metal growl (which as a Death Metal fan, I really like). Notable Track: Alive

7. The Path of Totality 2011 - The "dubstep" album. The fact that this album even bares this title brings it down. Still, after a couple of below-par releases, Korn released something good.
It's Untouchable's catchy and the dubstep elements fill the void of having one guitarist, which was a noticeable weakness in Korn's writing, evident in the past 3 releases (RWYA, SYOTOS, and Untitled). It's a good listen, but you can't thoroughly enjoy it with the whole dubstep gimmick lingering in the back of your mind. Notable Track: Way Too Far

8. Remember Who You Are 2009 - "We're going back to our roots". Without two of your founding members...? Ross Robinson is back, Fieldy's bass is back, drumming is back, the riffing is making a return, but still needs head- I mean help*. It's purposely raw, when they could have easily created something high-quality, soo another obvious ploy/gimmick. Jonathan is pressured to return to his "teen-angsty" times and he clearly doesn't like it himself. This album was for everyone to stfu and not for themselves. Korn are still a talented collective so there are some really awesome songs, but overall, there's no chemistry. Notable Tracks: Never Around, The Past

9. Untitled 2007 - This album and See You on the Other Side is where Korn lost their heaviness. There's no drumming, no bass, and not a lick to headbang to. Jonathan serenades vocally, which is boring to metalheads. There's a slew of instruments included on the album (keyboards, synthesizers, organs...). Musically this is not bad, the songs are beautifully written, but if you are looking
to headbang/moss/release stress, this album will put you to sleep. Notable Track: Evolution

10. See You On The Other Side 2005 - The previous release (TALITM) had too much Fieldy, now there's no Fieldy. Simple drumming. One guitar playing the rhythm and lead? There is no cohesiveness in the guitar work. We know your other guitarist left, but at least try to act like it didn't make any difference. Working with a pop production group didn't help either. Only good songs: Liar, Throw Me Away, Tearjerker, and a maybe for twisted transistor. Like Untitled, they are still musician's, so musically it's not bad. It's just a different sound. Notable Track: Throw Me Away

7 awesome releases, and 3 poor.
20.11.2012 - 17:31
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Well, I found one interesting deal in the net, for a cheap price. It includes the first six studio albums, so I got five great albums and one weak album (Take a look..).
02.12.2012 - 15:51
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Killa Cary on 22.09.2012 at 05:42

Korn as presented by a Korn fan (You can use this as a guide to figure whether you like Korn or not):
7 awesome releases, and 3 poor.

That was awesomely written bro. I don't quite agree with the order, but that's just personal taste, we're on the same side here. For me Untouchables will stay the #1 KoRn album, Issues following closely. And I don't consider See You On The Other Side their weakest release. But all in all you presented the Korn discography from the beginning till the end very well.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.01.2013 - 02:35
stupid noob
Account deleted
"One of the most misunderstood bands of today. Hated by almost every metaller everywhere yet they command a powerful fan base."

So true brother! I don't know how many times people tell me I'm a fag or Korn is for posers and faggots and whatever else they can say about it, but no matter how many times I'm ridiculed I just go back and enjoy some PERFECT nu metal as performed by the masters of the genre. And maybe their dubstep album isn't a masterpiece, but it's definitely something I can appreciate! It takes balls to keep doing your own thing like they do.
10.04.2013 - 11:00
Korn=sellouts
13.09.2013 - 00:42
Killa Cary
So share some yfw's when you heard Love and Meth and how it sounds like Korn again
20.12.2013 - 22:16
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
To me The Paradigm Shift is the best KoRn album since Untouchables. I needed quite some time to pass through Prey For Me, that's song makes me freaking hype. Which also really makes me want to see them live again.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
20.06.2014 - 17:39
Ganondox
Korn is an interesting band. They are pretty ridiculous at times, but I respect them for their experimentalism and honesty. Whether you like them or not, they are very innovative and influential band. I personally don't like most their material particularly much, but I love some of their songs, like "Falling Away From Me". I do like most the songs I've heard from their last two albums.
25.07.2014 - 17:47
Troobs
I loved the first two Korn albums and enjoyed the odd track from the follow ups. Stand-out , I hadn't heard anything quite like it which for me is an important trait to have as a band.
----
www.zediforder.com
11.09.2014 - 04:36
massbrow
KoRn is my favorit band, thanks this article..