Metal Storm logo
Great Albums Hidden Behind The Language Barrier

Original post

Posted by R'Vannith, 29.01.2012 - 10:45
Some metal albums don't get the attention they deserve because they use lyrics in languages other than English. These might be more popular in their countries of origin than elsewhere and don't get as much recognition as an album written with lyrics in English might outside of that country.

Are their any gems you can think of that have lyrics in languages other than English which don't get the recognition they deserve? These might come from your own language or others.
04.02.2012 - 12:10
ANGEL REAPER

Another good album hidden behind language barrier is Ilkim Oluanem's Girdap.I stomped upon this gem some months ago and since than i have listening it every now and then...
I mean lyrics are in Turkish ,but the music rocks (sorta progressive melodic black metal) and songwriting is just great.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.02.2012 - 12:11
mojo

I think I prefer hearing bands who aren't native speakers of English singing in their own language. Doesn't matter if I understand it or not (after all, we're talking about metal...) I just feel that singing in your native tongue gives a closer connection to what you're singing, and more than anything in music I like authenticity.

Yeah it's great when I can understand the words, but words are only part of the puzzle. I'd rather someone sang something meaningful that I can't understand (and I do speak other languages than English, so sometimes I get it) than sing stupid drivel in bad English. That really can ruin a song for me, honestly. Likewise hearing English-language singers who aren't american or canadian singing with an american accent. I find myself wishing they would just be themselves.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?