Metal Storm logo
Where to LEGALLY download music?

31.01.2012 - 22:54
I usually get my music through iTunes, but certain bands/albums, such as "Torn Beyond Reason" by Woods of Desolation and pretty much anything by Fell Voices, aren't on there.

I was wondering where you guys get your music. Any help would be great.
31.01.2012 - 23:51
The Turbanator
Written by I Like Penguins on 31.01.2012 at 22:54

I usually get my music through iTunes, but certain bands/albums, such as "Torn Beyond Reason" by Woods of Desolation and pretty much anything by Fell Voices, aren't on there.

Legally, "bandcamp" is the best site for now. Nearly all bands have their page on that site. Some you have to pay, some you can download for free.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
01.02.2012 - 00:54
Written by The Turbanator on 31.01.2012 at 23:51

Legally, "bandcamp" is the best site for now. Nearly all bands have their page on that site. Some you have to pay, some you can download for free.

Thanks!
01.02.2012 - 01:45
BreadGod
Account deleted
I think you need to rename the thread "Where to download music LEGALLY?"
01.02.2012 - 02:12
IronAngel
Downloading music in most countries is always legal, so that would be misleading. It's the distribution that's a crime. (Might be different in the US, but that's kinda absurd - you can be incriminated for clicking a link whose contents you have know way of knowing?)

But yes, bandcamp. Also, simply consult the artist or label site directly. They will usually provide links to purchase their products, digitally if that's available.

Unfortunately, finding free downloads by casual googling has gotten somewhat harder than before, with the crackdown on many file storage services and our human rights. Still quite doable, though. I suggest you avoid dubious music distributors connected to big media companies and support the artist and label directly.
01.02.2012 - 03:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Do not post any illegal downloading links in this thread...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.02.2012 - 03:36
Just thought I would put my two cents in and say that if you can't find a (legal) digital copy of the album you are looking for then Amazon.com and BlackMetal.com are good resources to get a hold of physical copies. BlackMetal.com, despite it's name, actually does carry more than just Black Metal also.
01.02.2012 - 12:39
Savopipo

Also music glue (www.musicglue.com) has a site that allows you to download stuff in the exchange for an e-mail address. I used it for one of my projects (www.musicglue.com/blackanima) and it's been ok. I'm not sure how it works if you want stuff that costs though since I'm giving my shit away.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
01.02.2012 - 20:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
You can go also in each band page in MA look for a links, from expierience many underground BM bands alowe downloads from home page and other sites, for example apalachain winter you can download all 4 albums for free, go in bands facebook page there is link, many bands post such links in myspace and FB sites
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.02.2012 - 20:58
Edmund Fogg
Bancamp and Soundcloud are my 2 favorites download sites (as you can guess by my posts in the discovery threads)
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
02.02.2012 - 01:09
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 01.02.2012 at 02:12

Downloading music in most countries is always legal, so that would be misleading. It's the distribution that's a crime. (Might be different in the US, but that's kinda absurd - you can be incriminated for clicking a link whose contents you have know way of knowing?)

Wait! So, I can download anything "illegaly", as long as I don't distribute?
02.02.2012 - 01:23
IronAngel
Written by Guest on 02.02.2012 at 01:09

Depends entirely on your country's legislation. That is often the case in Europe, I believe. But that's not really the subject of this topic, I guess.
02.02.2012 - 01:27
Savopipo
Written by IronAngel on 02.02.2012 at 01:23

Written by Guest on 02.02.2012 at 01:09

Depends entirely on your country's legislation. That is often the case in Europe, I believe. But that's not really the subject of this topic, I guess.

I guess that is up to the lawyers to decide. Information wants to be free!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
02.02.2012 - 01:32
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted

I will search.

Also, this thread isn't supposed to be in the extreme forum.
02.02.2012 - 13:12
Written by Guest on 02.02.2012 at 01:32

I will search.

I should have specified that it's black metal I'm looking for.
02.02.2012 - 16:10
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by I Like Penguins on 02.02.2012 at 13:12

I should have specified that it's black metal I'm looking for.

I judged by the title.. Sorry!
02.02.2012 - 22:45
malaikat
I think that Google Music and Spotify offer some free downloads, but it's nothing special. But yes, Bandcamp is the shit.
03.02.2012 - 20:10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Honestly, one of the best is iTunes.
05.02.2012 - 05:47
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Amazon.com has several free metal compilations you can download.
07.02.2012 - 06:08
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Since when does almost every artist have a bandcamp? Certainly there's quite a percentage, and it grows everyday, but most bands don't have them. You should check this blog out, as it summarizes which metal labels/artists have a bandcamp page, in addition to providing updates on additions to bandcamp pages. Pretty useful, but if you have all the artists and labels liked on facebook, you should get the same info anyways. http://metalbandcamp.com/
03.04.2012 - 03:55
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.02.2012 at 20:10

*Facepalm*
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.04.2012 - 08:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.04.2012 at 03:55

*Facepalm*

Was it not a proper place to download legal music? or you were expecting illegal transformer places?
03.04.2012 - 14:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.04.2012 at 08:18

Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.04.2012 at 03:55

*Facepalm*

Was it not a proper place to download legal music? or you were expecting illegal transformer places?

No, but the OP said he couldn't find it on Itunes so he was looking for something else.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.04.2012 - 18:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Guest on 02.02.2012 at 01:32

it was a request specific to black metal, so i left it here when adding the LEGALLY caveat .
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.04.2012 - 02:49
ß
Problem?
Name your price sites such as Bandcamp are quite good.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
05.04.2012 - 06:22
Branzig
I think I am the only person who really doesn't know what Bandcamp is all about

Is it for underground artists only? Or are big name acts putting their tunes up there too?
----
In Grind We Crust
05.04.2012 - 06:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Branzig on 05.04.2012 at 06:22
Is it for underground artists only? Or are big name acts putting their tunes up there too?

It caters mostly to underground/unsigned acts. It's basically a page designed for free streams with the option of a digital purchase (often a name-your-price thing). In some cases a band asks for a flat rate and some even offer physical CDs.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.04.2012 - 09:50
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Branzig on 05.04.2012 at 06:22

I think I am the only person who really doesn't know what Bandcamp is all about

It caters to anyone willing to use it. Most of the time its used by underground artists. Labels use it too.
Its actually a really good platform for bands.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
06.04.2012 - 06:26
Branzig
Hmmm....guess I'll have to check it out! Sounds like a good spot to pick up some brutal lo-fi shit!
----
In Grind We Crust
06.04.2012 - 14:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Branzig on 06.04.2012 at 06:26

Hmmm....guess I'll have to check it out! Sounds like a good spot to pick up some brutal lo-fi shit!

Here you go pal, thank me later: Metal Bandcamp

It seems like some nice soul is working on putting together as many metal bandcamp links as humanly possible and keep them updated.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.