Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2011 - Now Open!

Metalstormers, the time is here once more.

The Metal Storm Awards 2011 are now open!

Throughout January we have been painstakingly working to provide you with a run-down of our nominations for what we feel are the best albums of 2011. It is now your job to check out the cream of the crop, and vote for your favourites.

This is the eighth year of the Metal Storm Awards, and as always you have the month of February to cast your judgement. This year however, we have introduced a couple of new categories; Melodic Black and Djent/Math metal, and also split up a few of the categories that were coupled in previous years.

Don't forget to share this news with your friends, or even start your own campaign over the internet for your favourite bands to win. We have done the hard work bringing you these nominations, now let's have some fun. Useful banners and buttons can be found here.

Results will be announced on the 1st March!

- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.02.2012 by Ivan

Comments page 10 / 15

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 431   Visited by: 1541 users
03.02.2012 - 13:58
Slayer666

Written by Darkside Momo on 03.02.2012 at 11:53

The main problem, I guess would be the conflict between technical (read twisted, elaborate, etc.) songwriting and the simple yet deep emotions that doom is about. I do have difficulties to imagine a band able to evoke sorrow and loss with crazy twisting riffs and stuff.
That said, I'm sure it will be done at some point, if it hasn't already

I think that someone posted the technical doom thingy in the "Impossible Genres" thread, to which Marcel replied: "O, rly?" and provided a link to a band that apparently plays in this style. I wasn't very impressed, so I don't remember the band's name...
03.02.2012 - 14:01
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Charly546 on 03.02.2012 at 13:46

Also, hypothetically, if I'd want to write-in Riot "Immortal Soul" or Satan's Host "By The Hands of The Devil", what category should I use?

Riot was considered for a nomination in hard rock... Satan's Host wasn't mentioned, but if I had to guess, I'd say heavy metal, based on the reviews/opinions/everything.
----
7.0 means the album is good
03.02.2012 - 14:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Slayer666 on 03.02.2012 at 13:58

The main problem, I guess would be the conflict between technical (read twisted, elaborate, etc.) songwriting and the simple yet deep emotions that doom is about. I do have difficulties to imagine a band able to evoke sorrow and loss with crazy twisting riffs and stuff.

I think that someone posted the technical doom thingy in the "Impossible Genres" thread, to which Marcel replied: "O, rly?" and provided a link to a band that apparently plays in this style. I wasn't very impressed, so I don't remember the band's name...

Non Fiction
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.02.2012 - 14:11
R'Vannith
ghedengi
The only thing that comes remotely close I think is maybe some Mastodon material. But that would be more technical sludge, if that.
03.02.2012 - 17:18
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2012 at 09:58

Ok, I have to know. What the fuck IS djent? What does it sound like?

Listen to Vildhjarta and Uneven Structure to hear the heavier end of the genre. Periphery would be the middle weights with a decent combination of heavy and melodic. And listen to TesseracT and Circles to hear the lighter, more melodic end of the genre.

EDIT: What Cynic Metalhead said is pretty accurate, but Meshuggah would of course be on the heavier end of the genre (if we're going to start calling them djent now? ) but the only thing that Periphery, Tesseract and Circles have in common with Meshuggah is the guitar tone and some of the riffing.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

03.02.2012 - 20:00
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by R'Vannith on 03.02.2012 at 14:11

The only thing that comes remotely close I think is

The only thing that comes remotely close I think is LimpBizkit swapping on their latest "Gold fucking Cobra" award here on MS. That would be really good and insane. I really want that band to win something out of that album.
03.02.2012 - 21:06
Darkside Momo
Retired

Just out of curiosity, I'll have to check this Non-Fiction someday, then
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.02.2012 - 23:27
The Galactician

Man the thrash category was tough. Loved Skeletonwitch and Vektor in particular, but had to write in Sylosis. Is that the same as throwing away my vote?
04.02.2012 - 00:48
Metal_4Ever

I think there are alot of Symphonic metal albums in 2011 took my heart including: Imaginareum, The Unforgiving and The Great Mass.. but truly Unforgiving was the best symphonic or should i say the best album in 2011
04.02.2012 - 01:33
Timmeh
Dudeman
I always thought that Djent sounded like the word Djent. DJENT! DJENT DJENT DJENT! JUNT!
04.02.2012 - 01:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by The Galactician on 03.02.2012 at 23:27

Man the thrash category was tough. Loved Skeletonwitch and Vektor in particular, but had to write in Sylosis. Is that the same as throwing away my vote?

Honestly that's a good question which I'm sure many would love an answer to. Me personally I think that they belong in Melodeath but I've seen a lot of others calling them Thrash, in the end it will be up to Staff; probably BitterCOld since he's the one who keeps talking about nuking votes, so you might want to PM him to be sure.
----

04.02.2012 - 01:44
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Timmeh on 04.02.2012 at 01:33

I always thought that Djent sounded like the word Djent. DJENT! DJENT DJENT DJENT! JUNT!

That's where the name comes from, it's an onomatopoeia...
----

04.02.2012 - 02:12
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by psykometal on 04.02.2012 at 01:44

That's what I thought, I just found it weird that nobody explained that to M C when he asked what it sounded like.
04.02.2012 - 02:18
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Timmeh on 04.02.2012 at 02:12

That's what I thought, I just found it weird that nobody explained that to M C when he asked what it sounded like.

Well I didn't explain it to him but I did explain it to like that to someone else who asked on the previous page so if Vice would've read through the thread (or just simply looked on wikipedia or google) he would've seen it...

Quote:
Written by Guest on 02.02.2012 at 13:01

That did help a little, thank you.

Basically djent is an entire genre based on Meshuggah worship. But there are some, like Tesseract and Circles, who are considered djent because of a specialized "twang" in the sound of their guitars that is derived from the special "twang" that is present in Meshuggah's guitar tuning. The name "djent" is an onomatopoeia for how that specialized "twang" sounds when picked, djent djent djent djent...
----

04.02.2012 - 05:00
Garth Vader

Written by Milena on 03.02.2012 at 09:37

Written by Garth Vader on 03.02.2012 at 06:25

Why the hell are there four, count them... FOUR genres for DOOM?? Really? We need Doom, Extreme Doom, Metalgaze (wtf is that, other than, oh right... doom) and Post Metal (glorified technical doom). Seriously. We get one genre for the vast landscape of say DM or PM or SM and have one choice there but it seems like we have nominated a full 90% of the Doom bands on the planet with all four of the above genres. A little one sided are we? I think we would be better served by less categories in doom and the ability to choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each instead. A little annoyed with having to pencil in a bunch of killer albums into random genres to get them some recognition.

Duuuuuude.
Metalgaze is mostly black metal + shoegaze. No doom there.
Post metal is technical doom? What the fuck is technical about post metal? Actually, scrap that, what the hell is doom about post metal?

For some bands there's no better solution. A big problem with symphonic metal is that it's always symphonic + something (power, gothic, folk and this year we had death). Now, usually, if something is progressive metalcore, we put it in metalcore, but if it's progressive metal with a core-spice, we put it in prog (random example). Every time the symphonic spice takes over the -goth/power/folk roots of the music in the symphonic genre, we put it in symphonic. Which was the case with Septicflesh. And the proof that Septicflesh isn't your everyday extreme metal album is shown by its wide popularity and the fact that a lot of people, who normally aren't even the slightest into death, listened to it and had no problem with it. If we put it in competition against Vallenfyre and similar, a lot of people would have argued against that too.

"As a label, some see post-metal as redundant, since some bands listed as post-metal contain many elements similar to doom metal, progressive metal, sludge metal, and stoner metal" - Wikipedia

I would suggest typing the term Metalgaze into Wikipedia and see what happens...
Thus my point, that if Post-Metal and Metalgaze are essentially the same or used many times interchangeably and since Post-Metal has many of its roots in the doom movement and history (Neurosis for example) and is also used to describe many doom/stoner bands (EVEN BY METALSTORM -- In the Post Metal Category 'A Storm of Light' is described as "Pounding post-metal doom riffs..." , I think my point still stands that Doom is a little over represented while other genres are too thin. I know everyone here pretty much hates Nu-metal... but no category? No Retro-Metal category? No NWOAHM? I really don't care all that much. It is fun voting, and checking out bands that I've not heard here, but you are going to have a hard time convincing us that Metalgaze and Post Metal are not related to Doom in any way.
Cheers!
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
04.02.2012 - 05:17
Garth Vader

Also when the word "technical" is used, it doesn't necessarily mean speed. It has more to do with construction. And yes there are technical doom bands out there, not many but they do exist.
----
04.02.2012 - 05:24
Garth Vader

Written by Darkside Momo on 03.02.2012 at 21:06

Just out of curiosity, I'll have to check this Non-Fiction someday, then

Then maybe you will grace us with your vast grasp of the music scene as a whole??
----
04.02.2012 - 06:15
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Garth Vader on 04.02.2012 at 05:17

Also when the word "technical" is used, it doesn't necessarily mean speed. It has more to do with construction. And yes there are technical doom bands out there, not many but they do exist.

So if your saying Post metal is technical doom, therefore there aren't many Post metal bands? You couldn't be further from the truth there, I have to say.

Post metal isn't anywhere close to doom, totally different subgenres. Whilst post metal may not have as cohesive a definition it is easily distinguishable from doom metal in general.
04.02.2012 - 07:39
Garth Vader

Written by R'Vannith on 04.02.2012 at 06:15

Written by Garth Vader on 04.02.2012 at 05:17

So if your saying Post metal is technical doom, therefore there aren't many Post metal bands? You couldn't be further from the truth there, I have to say.

Post metal isn't anywhere close to doom, totally different subgenres. Whilst post metal may not have as cohesive a definition it is easily distinguishable from doom metal in general.

I was meaning technical in the sense that people seem to be attributing it to (see tech death metal, etc...), in other words as attributed to musical prowess the like of which you might find any many of the progressive bands. There aren't many technical doom bands out there like Confessor for instance. Originally I was using the term technical to mean more of a deliberately structured departure from the typical doom elements. Isis was intentionally vague about being called into a genre although many would put them into post metal. I would still call Isis technical in their assembly, lyrics, length, etc.

Maybe the word "technical" is far to vague and confusing without writing at length about how we are intending to use it.
----
04.02.2012 - 08:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Garth Vader on 04.02.2012 at 07:39

Maybe the word "technical" is far to vague and confusing without writing at length about how we are intending to use it.

It sounds to me like you are referring to articulation, meaning more individualized notes vs power chords and such...
----

04.02.2012 - 08:26
R'Vannith
ghedengi

I was meaning technical in the sense that people seem to be attributing it to (see tech death metal, etc...), in other words as attributed to musical prowess the like of which you might find any many of the progressive bands. There aren't many technical doom bands out there like Confessor for instance. Originally I was using the term technical to mean more of a deliberately structured departure from the typical doom elements. Isis was intentionally vague about being called into a genre although many would put them into post metal. I would still call Isis technical in their assembly, lyrics, length, etc.

I'm struggling to understand your idea of both what 'technical' means and what you think 'doom' is. Isis makes no departure from doom, 'technical' or otherwise, it's not connected to doom. They are vague in trying to label them to any specific genre, but their sound is much closer aligned with sludge than doom.

My understanding of your position is that you tend to lump all these things together; sludge, doom, and the subgenre in question postmetal. Those with a bit of experience in these sub genres find it easy to distinguish the three, those with more experience than me might be able to provide you with a more solid definition of each. Whether it's because you don't listen to them a great deal I'm not sure but your idea of 'doom' is a bit clouded in that you throw all these into the same bag. With more experience the differences between them become increasingly apparent.

So going back to your original query, if you are not so familiar with the nuances that distinguish each of the 'doom', 'extreme doom', and 'postmetal' subgenres they may seem similiar to you. The fourth one you mentioned, Metalgaze is something I myself have little knowledge of, so you may be right there in saying it's similiar to doom, but I would hazard a guess and say it's more a fusion between the shoegaze movement and black/post-black side of metal.
04.02.2012 - 11:28
Ankläger

Where do I vote for Pain of Salvation?
Progressive or Alternative?
04.02.2012 - 12:02
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Ankläger on 04.02.2012 at 11:28

Where do I vote for Pain of Salvation?
Progressive or Alternative?

Progressive.
----
04.02.2012 - 12:11
musclassia

Written by psykometal on 04.02.2012 at 01:42

Honestly that's a good question which I'm sure many would love an answer to. Me personally I think that they belong in Melodeath but I've seen a lot of others calling them Thrash, in the end it will be up to Staff; probably BitterCOld since he's the one who keeps talking about nuking votes, so you might want to PM him to be sure.

I asked this one earlier, Momo said it was under thrash. However, I have seen it nominated for about 4 different categories by write-ins >.<
04.02.2012 - 12:14
Milena
gloom cookie

Yes it is. Anyway, Wiki isn't a good source when it comes to music (that's why I didn't cite only Wiki but also another portal when someone asked me for a definition of djent on this thread).

Also, I couldn't see where you're going with post and doom and metalgaze being all alike. I can understand post being a bit alike to doom in your ears, but even if I haven't listened to many of either, I can clearly see the difference. Same with metalgaze. Yes, it takes a bit of influence from post metal, but if gothic metal takes a bit of influence of prog, it's still gothic metal.

Blah, I could just drop explaining all together, my point was - just because you think some genres are redundant (and that just because you don't listen to them), it doesn't mean that anyone else does. I couldn't care less about the nuances of black metal, but if ten or more people thought that having Thulcandra/The Fallen Divine in the same category as Wolves in the Throne Room and Anaal Nathrakh, I trust their judgement. I wouldn't mind them separating avant-garde black from the trad black either, nor tech death from death. If there is a need for subgenre, we'll make a category. The only good complaint I've heard this year is that tech death should be here. And if there are ten good enough releases next year to warrant a category, I'll propose that.

Retro metal, even with being retro, belongs to different subgenres; I'd argue that both heavy and thrash are representatives of retro metal here, are they not? NWOAHM is the silliest category I've ever seen used (YES, a lot sillier than djent and metalgaze) and releases from it can be lumped in any of the given. Nu-metal doesn't have a category because it's hated? Metalcore/deathcore is also hated but someone found 10 good releases from the category and nominated them. The fact nu-metal doesn't have one means it's a dying genre... if you think otherwise, please provide me with 10 nomination-worthy releases of nu-metal this year.
----
04.02.2012 - 12:16
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by musclassia on 04.02.2012 at 12:11

Written by psykometal on 04.02.2012 at 01:42

I asked this one earlier, Momo said it was under thrash. However, I have seen it nominated for about 4 different categories by write-ins >.<

Thrash. Said it a million times any doubts about genres you have, you ask them here, I've opened up a thread for it. Don't trust write-ins since people often put them in randomly.
----
04.02.2012 - 15:37
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Timmeh on 04.02.2012 at 02:12

Written by psykometal on 04.02.2012 at 01:44

I saw that when I looked djent up on wikipedia. I liked this bit from the article:
"Post-metal band Rosetta has said:
Maybe we should start calling doom metal 'DUNNN'"
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.02.2012 - 18:30
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Milena on 04.02.2012 at 12:16

any doubts about genres you have, you ask them here, I've opened up a thread for it. Don't trust write-ins since people often put them in randomly.

Great idea Milena! Thank you for doing this...

Written by Milena on 04.02.2012 at 12:14

The only good complaint I've heard this year is that tech death should be here.

Ego boost is ego boost...
----

04.02.2012 - 18:41
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by psykometal on 04.02.2012 at 18:30

Ego boost is ego boost...

You're not the only person who suggested it though *spoils boost*
----
04.02.2012 - 18:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
The guy quoted Wikipedia... I'm not even going to bother to read his posts seriously.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 16269 | This month: 38