Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2011 - Now Open!

Metalstormers, the time is here once more.

The Metal Storm Awards 2011 are now open!

Throughout January we have been painstakingly working to provide you with a run-down of our nominations for what we feel are the best albums of 2011. It is now your job to check out the cream of the crop, and vote for your favourites.

This is the eighth year of the Metal Storm Awards, and as always you have the month of February to cast your judgement. This year however, we have introduced a couple of new categories; Melodic Black and Djent/Math metal, and also split up a few of the categories that were coupled in previous years.

Don't forget to share this news with your friends, or even start your own campaign over the internet for your favourite bands to win. We have done the hard work bringing you these nominations, now let's have some fun. Useful banners and buttons can be found here.

Results will be announced on the 1st March!

- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.02.2012 by Ivan

Comments page 13 / 15

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 431   Visited by: 1541 users
09.02.2012 - 13:05
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
It's only 9th and 'em getting fucking excited for the result. As anxious as I am about to give a pro exam. Make it that happen soon.
11.02.2012 - 03:52
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
If Midnattsol were nominated in the symphonic catagory, shouldn't they have symphonic (or a variant of it) addd to their profile?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.02.2012 - 12:40
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by M C Vice on 11.02.2012 at 03:52

If Midnattsol were nominated in the symphonic catagory, shouldn't they have symphonic (or a variant of it) addd to their profile?

Good question.
----
7.0 means the album is good
12.02.2012 - 02:14
JCJen7
NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
12.02.2012 - 03:25
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by JCJen7 on 12.02.2012 at 02:14

NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!

Then listen faster...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

12.02.2012 - 04:56
JCJen7
Written by psykometal on 12.02.2012 at 03:25

Written by JCJen7 on 12.02.2012 at 02:14

NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!

Then listen faster...

I tried that, drone sounds a helluva lot better
----

CHECK THESE OUT
12.02.2012 - 20:45
I used the nominations to catch up on some of the stuff I missed, and found some real winners! Neurotech and Mayan (WTF How did I not know of an Epica side project?)
Can't wait to see the results!
12.02.2012 - 22:47
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by chronic-headache on 12.02.2012 at 20:45

I used the nominations to catch up on some of the stuff I missed, and found some real winners! Neurotech and Mayan (WTF How did I not know of an Epica side project?)
Can't wait to see the results!

Yeah, Mayan's release has gone quite unnoticed this year. And it had lots of promotion from the band.
When they came to play to my country, if the flyer hadn't said "With members of EPICA", almost nodoby would have attended the concert.

In fact everyone was expecting them to play "Cry For The Moon". After seeing Epica three times and the vocal deterioration of Simone, I was like "Kill me, please".
13.02.2012 - 00:55
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Unhealer on 12.02.2012 at 22:47

Yeah, Mayan's release has gone quite unnoticed this year. And it had lots of promotion from the band.
When they came to play to my country, if the flyer hadn't said "With members of EPICA", almost nodoby would have attended the concert.

Yea, I am also quite surprised at how little response Mark Jenson got with MaYaN...
----

13.02.2012 - 01:46
JCJen7
Just curious, why were the Foo Fighters not nominated for hard rock? I don't mind, I just wrote them in, but curious if it was because they were considered more alternative/90's influenced than heavier rock, becuase the staff didn't want to make them a profile considering they are nowhere near metal, or were they considered and just the staff didn't like the album as much as the other 10?
----

CHECK THESE OUT
13.02.2012 - 04:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by JCJen7 on 13.02.2012 at 01:46

Just curious, why were the Foo Fighters not nominated for hard rock? I don't mind, I just wrote them in, but curious if it was because they were considered more alternative/90's influenced than heavier rock, becuase the staff didn't want to make them a profile considering they are nowhere near metal, or were they considered and just the staff didn't like the album as much as the other 10?

They're not on MetalStorm...

Edit: And probably none of the Staff thought they were good enough to get added to the site just so they could be a Staff nomination...
----

13.02.2012 - 05:56
JCJen7
Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 04:13

Edit: And probably none of the Staff thought they were good enough to get added to the site just so they could be a Staff nomination...

Gotcha. will my write-in vote even be counten in that case? (Just wondering at this point, I realize I may be the only one voting for them here)
----

CHECK THESE OUT
13.02.2012 - 06:44
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by JCJen7 on 13.02.2012 at 05:56

Gotcha. will my write-in vote even be counten in that case? (Just wondering at this point, I realize I may be the only one voting for them here)

It'll probably get nuked since the band isn't on the site. I would recast if I were you.
----

13.02.2012 - 07:02
JCJen7
Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 06:44

It'll probably get nuked since the band isn't on the site. I would recast if I were you.

Damn, if it helps, they did just perform on the Grammy's wearing Slayer shirts...
----

CHECK THESE OUT
13.02.2012 - 07:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by JCJen7 on 13.02.2012 at 05:56

Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 04:13

your write in vote will be kept. Foo Fighters ia hard rock/alternative rock. Them not being on the site does not mean it will get nukes. According to most of MS staff/elites it just wasn't good enough to make the 10 nominees that's all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.02.2012 - 07:30
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
They've been considered for hard rock. Didn't have many supporters.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
13.02.2012 - 08:20
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.02.2012 at 07:04

your write in vote will be kept. Foo Fighters ia hard rock/alternative rock. Them not being on the site does not mean it will get nukes. According to most of MS staff/elites it just wasn't good enough to make the 10 nominees that's all.

Well I suppose this is good.

And JC, sporting Slayer shirts doesn't make them cool in my book. I hear that they won the "metal" category of the Grammy's, if you ask me Dave Grohl is a pompous schmuck for accepting it since Foo Fighters isn't metal...
----

13.02.2012 - 10:07
JCJen7
Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 08:20

And JC, sporting Slayer shirts doesn't make them cool in my book. I hear that they won the "metal" category of the Grammy's, if you ask me Dave Grohl is a pompous schmuck for accepting it since Foo Fighters isn't metal...

They won the best hard rock/metal performance. Meaning 1 song that is either hard rock or metal, and White Limo won. Definately a hard rock song. You should watch some interviews with Dave Grohl, seems to be one of the nicest and down-to-earth guys ever. Plus he really likes metal, and has a light-hearted metal side-project/super group Probot. Not really worth checking out, but just kind of fun.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
13.02.2012 - 18:29
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by JCJen7 on 13.02.2012 at 10:07

They won the best hard rock/metal performance. Meaning 1 song that is either hard rock or metal, and White Limo won. Definately a hard rock song. You should watch some interviews with Dave Grohl, seems to be one of the nicest and down-to-earth guys ever. Plus he really likes metal, and has a light-hearted metal side-project/super group Probot. Not really worth checking out, but just kind of fun.

Ah ok well if it's hard rock/metal then fine I guess, I didn't watch them but there were lots of posts on facebook bitching about FF winning the "metal category". I'd still love to know just exactly who all the other nominees were that Foo Fighters were deemed the cream of the crop. I'm aware of Probot, didn't care for it much.
----

13.02.2012 - 19:53
Edmund Fogg
Written by psykometal on 13.02.2012 at 18:29

Ah ok well if it's hard rock/metal then fine I guess, I didn't watch them but there were lots of posts on facebook bitching about FF winning the "metal category". I'd still love to know just exactly who all the other nominees were that Foo Fighters were deemed the cream of the crop. I'm aware of Probot, didn't care for it much.

You had Megadeth, Mastodon and others, I don't remember. I would've preffered to see Matodon win, but since it's more a poularity contest then anything else, I'm not that surprised.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
13.02.2012 - 19:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Edmund Fogg on 13.02.2012 at 19:53

You had Megadeth, Mastodon and others, I don't remember. I would've preffered to see Matodon win, but since it's more a poularity contest then anything else, I'm not that surprised.

I don't think it's even a popularity contest as it is more of how much the record labels pay the Grammy organizers.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.02.2012 - 20:04
Edmund Fogg
^ popularity brings in more money, hence heavier brown enveloppes. Another thought to store in my parainoia/mysantropy file.;D
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
13.02.2012 - 21:33
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.02.2012 at 19:58

I don't think it's even a popularity contest as it is more of how much the record labels pay the Grammy organizers.

And you can bet they all snuffed their noses at the likes of Mastodon and Megadeth. Probably for the best Mastodon or Megadeth didn't win, would've been embaressing for them I think because they'd go out on stage to play and all those teeny boppers who went would be scratching their heads and shooting dirty looks because they probably don't even know who Mastodon or Megadeth are.
----

14.02.2012 - 04:58
JCJen7
Dream Theater and Sum 41 were the other two to be nominated.
And, I'm gonna take another angle at this all, I think the Foo Fighters deserved to win. Not sure how many people heard their new album, it was fucking awesome if you ask me. I mean, White Limo was not my favorite hard rock/metal song, not by a long shot, but it was 10x better than anything off of Megadeth's new album, and I prefer it to Curl Of The Burl (FF and Mastodon don't have all that differant of a sound nowadays it seems).

Anyways, all off topic.

Back on topic, I was about to cast my thrash vote for Skeletonwitch, when I decided I'd give Trials (the only album on there I hadn't heard) a shot. Well holy fuck, I may be reconsidering that vote.

Edit: Oh, and Dave Grohl had this to say about winning the award..."I feel so bad for the Dream Theater guy, because they actually had a metal performance, we didn't..."
----

CHECK THESE OUT
14.02.2012 - 05:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by JCJen7 on 14.02.2012 at 04:58

Oh, and Dave Grohl had this to say about winning the award..."I feel so bad for the Dream Theater guy, because they actually had a metal performance, we didn't..."

Hmm...not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand I could say "well that's humbling and good on him for admitting that", however on the other hand I could say "he's still a schmuck cuz he still accepted it" but then I don't know if they allow artists to just refuse to accept a nomination. Also I can't say whether I feel that Dream Theater is any more metal or deserving just cuz I never really got into DT but I have seen lots of bitching about their latest album so idk.
----

14.02.2012 - 10:11
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Touching on what I was asking about earlier in the thread (I've put in most of my votes, just want to clarify). Write in votes should go in the catagory/style that the band is listed in in their profile? Hopefully I'll emember for next year.
Still need to decide on doom and power (Ixion vs Omit and Tarot vs Symphonia).
----
14.02.2012 - 10:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:11

Write in votes should go in the catagory/style that the band is listed in in their profile? Hopefully I'll emember for next year.

If the band is featured or non-visible, yes it should. No matter if you disagree or not
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.02.2012 - 10:21
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.02.2012 at 10:13

Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:11

Write in votes should go in the catagory/style that the band is listed in in their profile? Hopefully I'll emember for next year.

If the band is featured or non-visible, yes it should. No matter if you disagree or not

Right. That's the clarification i was after.
Even if I disagree.
----
14.02.2012 - 10:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:21

Even if I disagree.

Let me guess which band
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.02.2012 - 10:48
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.02.2012 at 10:37

Written by M C Vice on 14.02.2012 at 10:21

Even if I disagree.

Let me guess which band

Actually, there's a few. But I've only been vocal about one. So far.
----

Hits total: 16297 | This month: 25