Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2011 - Now Open!

Metalstormers, the time is here once more.

The Metal Storm Awards 2011 are now open!

Throughout January we have been painstakingly working to provide you with a run-down of our nominations for what we feel are the best albums of 2011. It is now your job to check out the cream of the crop, and vote for your favourites.

This is the eighth year of the Metal Storm Awards, and as always you have the month of February to cast your judgement. This year however, we have introduced a couple of new categories; Melodic Black and Djent/Math metal, and also split up a few of the categories that were coupled in previous years.

Don't forget to share this news with your friends, or even start your own campaign over the internet for your favourite bands to win. We have done the hard work bringing you these nominations, now let's have some fun. Useful banners and buttons can be found here.

Results will be announced on the 1st March!

- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.02.2012 by Ivan

Comments page 5 / 15

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 431   Visited by: 1541 users
01.02.2012 - 14:51
Slayer666

T'was a nice idea to create the "Melodic Black" and "Metalgaze" categories. Lantlos being nominated (or getting write-ins) for Black Metal category would be just... weird.

And too bad Negative Plane and Arizmenda didn't get nominated, kinda gave me a sad.
01.02.2012 - 14:54
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Slayer666 on 01.02.2012 at 14:51

And too bad Negative Plane and Arizmenda didn't get nominated, kinda gave me a sad.

I remember Joe/Rod/can't remember having a sad for one of those two. With 130 bands that were in the nomination circle for black metal, I honestly can't remember
----
7.0 means the album is good
01.02.2012 - 15:07
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Only 3 votes from me (Death, Symphonic and Letdown) and there may be one 4th (Thrash).

i also love MS awards but i dont like the fact that only 5-10 albums each year are being promoted as the ones to get mainly the attention. i think a reconsideration in the voting system would make the results a bit more fair.

(for example the "little reviews" to be written only for staff picks and the "write in votes" to be changed in the following way: when someone wants to vote another album he "finds" the album in a LIST with ALL 2011 albums (depending on style) for this years albums and "activates" from now on the album so that the next one will be able to see and SELECT the same album for voting -you know, by clicking next to it)
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
01.02.2012 - 15:16
Slayer666

Written by Milena on 01.02.2012 at 14:54

I remember Joe/Rod/can't remember having a sad for one of those two. With 130 bands that were in the nomination circle for black metal, I honestly can't remember

Everyone should be sad about it, those two are really good albums...
01.02.2012 - 15:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 01.02.2012 at 13:45

I won't go in paragraphs to rant about how awards supposed to get edit fuck options and blah blah!! but in THE BEST COVER SONG: not finding an Amon Amarth's-Aerials( SOAD cover) really really freak me out! I mean c'mon it should be(don't you fucking think) there and amusing shit part is by including DF name twice( and eventually both are weak cover stuff as compare to what AMON did)..anyways....move on! rather we should look at more higher level by beautifully representing MS AWARDS 2011 by our dear staff.

That cover is fucking awful it's not even funny to put it there ironically.

Written by Slayer666 on 01.02.2012 at 14:51

Not seeing both Negative Plane and Aaskereia there was a sad punch but I shall take it like a man
I guess the thing that was worse was the fact that both albums were in the nominees... but because we had SO MANY bm albums we had to re-count the lists like 3-4 times and it ended up with both of them being out because some other albums had more votes than we counted and shit.
So yeah I understand the pain but on the other hand... This was after all a really tight BM year so I'm really happy with the final list anyway!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 15:42
Slayer666

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 15:22

So yeah I understand the pain but on the other hand... This was after all a really tight BM year so I'm really happy with the final list anyway!

Was a great year indeed, and we all know Wolves in The Throne Room are going to win anyway.
01.02.2012 - 15:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 01.02.2012 at 15:42

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 15:22

Was a great year indeed, and we all know Wolves in The Throne Room are going to win anyway.

Hhahhaha yeah, it's obvious. I don't mind though! I think it's a really good album.
Also... I'm glad that you appreciate the creation of Melodic Black and Metalgaze. For a moment I was sure tht some people were going to dislike it but so far it seems that it was a success!
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 15:57
MeloDeathViking

Did Protest the Hero not get norminated in any category?
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
01.02.2012 - 16:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by MeloDeathViking on 01.02.2012 at 15:57

Nope. I know some staff/elite who really liked it but others (like me) found it very meh and in the end it didn't make the cut for the best 10 in prog (that was the category we put it in).
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 16:37
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Would've been nice to see Cormorant's latest in there, good luck picking which genre it falls under though. I'd probably vote it in somewhere but I wouldn't know where to put the damn thing.
01.02.2012 - 17:47
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Deadmeat on 01.02.2012 at 15:07

Only 3 votes from me (Death, Symphonic and Letdown) and there may be one 4th (Thrash).

i think a reconsideration in the voting system would make the results a bit more fair.

reconsideration is there, i mean on a first go if you select a particular album to be best after that too you can change your option. you gotta whole fucking feb month to do that, then why do you need for again-reconsideration??! and tbh once all the votes are collected...majority wins! it is very pristine and straightforward.
01.02.2012 - 18:01
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
This gonna be good. I don't care to vote in every category, but Surtur Rising deserves to win! )
01.02.2012 - 18:04
Uldreth

I am curious if Anterior's latest would be in metalcore or gothenburg. I have yet to listen to all albums in those categories but I can see myself deciding to write in that somewhere. It is rather ambigously between those two genres though.
01.02.2012 - 18:10
Kamil
Account deleted
Yet again there is no list for instrumental albums This is huge mistake, that should be fixed.

Btw. Amaranthe in mdm list? I can't believe, that someone is so sick :
Maybe next time MS stuff should add Within Temptation to death metal list, if they will make blast beats and growls?
01.02.2012 - 18:14
JD
Account deleted
I have some questions just to be extra sure:

-The Black Dahlia goes to the "Hardcore / Metalcore / Deathcore" section or Melodic stuff?
-Metallica and Opeth goes to the "Hard Rock" section right?
-I voted for a re-released from album is that allowed?

And one thing I think it should be two death metal categories, classic death metal, and Tech-brutal death, it's not fair for the sake of death metal.

Thanks to the staff, you did a great job!
01.02.2012 - 18:19
Edmund Fogg

Can I write in votes from bands not featured on MS. Will it count in the vote calculations or will it be left out?
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
01.02.2012 - 18:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 18:10
Yet again there is no list for instrumental albums This is huge mistake, that should be fixed.

Why? If it is a BM instrumental album... it will go to a BM category because it's Black metal. I'm sorry, but I find your idea unnecessary.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 18:23
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by bodomdragon on 01.02.2012 at 12:44

Am I the only one not understanding why Amorphis is in Heavy/Melodic Metal instead of "Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal"? Is it a human mistake?

Amorphis are too ambiguous to be labeled into that category. They actually could potentially produce a genre definition which is a merit in itself. Therefore they dominate the ambiguous Heavy (/ Melodic) Metal category whenever they release an album
01.02.2012 - 18:24
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 14:23

help im being repressed

If you're so pissed and butt hurt about Absu not being nominated and about the Staff, Elites and Contributors giving you shit for over-reacting about such an inconsequential and (in the grand scheme of life) pointless Award ceremony then why don't you just go delete your account and start up your own metal webzine/site (call it bluemobiusthinksabsuisthebestblackmetalbandintheworldawards.com or something to that tune) and have yourself a field day getting mad at your subscribers because/if/when most of them all agreed that bands like Glorior Belli and Wolves In the Throne Room put out better albums then Absu; and then you can invoke your right as site owner/moderator to say they're all retarded and repress their opinions and put in your uber vote that Absu has the best BM album of 2011 and tell them all to "fuck off" cuz they're wrong...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

01.02.2012 - 18:26
Merchant of Doom

Ixion: To The Void is not their debut album... it's their second... first one was Through The Space We Die (2007)... DELETE!
01.02.2012 - 18:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 18:14

I have some questions just to be extra sure:

-The Black Dahlia goes to the "Hardcore / Metalcore / Deathcore" section or Melodic stuff?
-Metallica and Opeth goes to the "Hard Rock" section right?
-I voted for a re-released from album is that allowed?

And one thing I think it should be two death metal categories, classic death metal, and Tech-brutal death, it's not fair for the sake of death metal.

Thanks to the staff, you did a great job!

1) I would say "hc/mc/dc" is the category it should go to. I know for sure Marcel would agree with me. Don't know about the others but it feels more safe to do that.
2) Hard-rock would be fine for Opeth imo, no friggin clue for Metallica tbh............. You are not talking about Lulu but that ep they released afterwards?
3) I would say no. If the album wasn't realeased in 2011... it will not go here.
4) About the death category.... I''m not really sure but I would like to put it as a question for next year, it's not nearly as bad as instrumental category ahahhahahahah
5) Thanks for the last comment. This has been my first award with the staff/elite and sure as hell I understand how much work it goes into it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 18:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Merchant of Doom on 01.02.2012 at 18:26

Ixion: To The Void is not their debut album... it's their second... first one was Through The Space We Die (2007)... DELETE!

Nope, it's a demo. Even the band consider it a demo.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 18:40
JD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 18:30

1) I would say "hc/mc/dc" is the category it should go to. I know for sure Marcel would agree with me. Don't know about the others but it feels more safe to do that.
2) Hard-rock would be fine for Opeth imo, no friggin clue for Metallica tbh............. You are not talking about Lulu but that ep they released afterwards?
3) I would say no. If the album wasn't realeased in 2011... it will not go here.
4) About the death category.... I''m not really sure but I would like to put it as a question for next year, it's not nearly as bad as instrumental category ahahhahahahah
5) Thanks for the last comment. This has been my first award with the staff/elite and sure as hell I understand how much work it goes into it.

-Yeah I already voted for it in the "hc/mc/dc", but I wanted to be an extra sure.
-Ok, voted for Opeth.
-Damn, that album was the only alternative album I heard this year [le me sad, any recommendations?]
-The staff should discuss the death metal thingy. 'Bout the Instrumental category....I'lol'd.
-You're welcome, a wonderful job this year really!
01.02.2012 - 18:47
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Thanks to the stuff for adding the Melodic Black metal category at last. Metalgaze category also seems interesting.
I will be taking my time listening to all the great (and not-so-great) music nominated this year. Though, I already have a pretty clear idea of the albums I will be voting for. This is the sixth MS Awards for me and, I guess, I'll use the write-in option more often this time.
Well... I'm off. Wish everyone a good time listening and voting.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
01.02.2012 - 18:48
MeloDeathViking

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 16:16

Written by MeloDeathViking on 01.02.2012 at 15:57

Nope. I know some staff/elite who really liked it but others (like me) found it very meh and in the end it didn't make the cut for the best 10 in prog (that was the category we put it in).

Hmmm. I've heard most of the albums on the progressive list and will check out the rest. I have a feeling tho I'm gonna end up voting for Protest as write-in. If there was ever a write-in that had a chance at taking a category it would be Protest the Hero this year. I don't think it will tho. People seemed to be very split on that. Very much a love it or hate it album.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
01.02.2012 - 18:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 18:40

-Damn, that album was the only alternative album I heard this year [le me sad, any recommendations?]
-The staff should discuss the death metal thingy. 'Bout the Instrumental category....I'lol'd.

- I would flat out say "Check them all" because that's my policy when it comes to the awards. I honestly don't know a lot from the nominees of the alternative category. The ones I've heard and enjoyed are:
Amebix - Sonic Mass
Illuminatus - Glasnost
In Flames - Sounds Of A Playground Fading
Red - Until We Have Faces

I know a lot of people from the staff/elite liked Spellbound Dazzle - Unreal Fairy Tales, I didn't like it, but I'm aware of it's popularity among the staff/elite and therefore I say that you should check them out too.

- The problem I have with your suggestion is that to me it feels like some stuff comes in waves with death metal. Just for a few years ago we got OSDM all over again, this year was quite a boom for that niche... But who knows how it will be next year. If the amount of TDM and OSDM albums we nominate arent really high... there's no point in making a new category. This is a difference from stuff like Melodeath or meloblack where there are far more stuff going on there.
I'm want to hear the thoughts of the others so don't think I will ignore your idea.

PS: Ah shit, forgive me man. I got it wrong with Opeth, we put it in the Prog category when we were counting votes so your write in should be there. You can still change your votes right? I haven't voted for anything yet so I don't remember.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 18:51
Hughes

Pagan's Mind latest is not Power Metal O.o its mostly Prog Metal imo...
01.02.2012 - 18:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by NocturnalStalker on 01.02.2012 at 18:47
This is the sixth MS Awards for me and, I guess, I'll use the write-in option more often this time.

Hhahahah well, that is actually bad for us as our goal is to always avoid the write-ins as much as possible.
I'm not saying you should do that though, just saying that we always hope to ahve the best nominees and please the largest amount of people.

Wishful thinking though...
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 18:56
JD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 18:50

Not that into Alternative, but thanks for you suggestions anyway, I might listen to some tracks thru myspace and see If there is any grungy vocalist then I'm interested. Yes I can change my vote.
01.02.2012 - 18:56
Merchant of Doom

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 18:32

Written by Merchant of Doom on 01.02.2012 at 18:26

Nope, it's a demo. Even the band consider it a demo.

ah, shit, it is a demo... DON'T DELETE!

Hits total: 16259 | This month: 28