Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2011 - Now Open!

Metalstormers, the time is here once more.

The Metal Storm Awards 2011 are now open!

Throughout January we have been painstakingly working to provide you with a run-down of our nominations for what we feel are the best albums of 2011. It is now your job to check out the cream of the crop, and vote for your favourites.

This is the eighth year of the Metal Storm Awards, and as always you have the month of February to cast your judgement. This year however, we have introduced a couple of new categories; Melodic Black and Djent/Math metal, and also split up a few of the categories that were coupled in previous years.

Don't forget to share this news with your friends, or even start your own campaign over the internet for your favourite bands to win. We have done the hard work bringing you these nominations, now let's have some fun. Useful banners and buttons can be found here.

Results will be announced on the 1st March!

- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.02.2012 by Ivan

Comments page 6 / 15

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 431   Visited by: 1541 users
01.02.2012 - 18:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 18:56
Yes I can change my vote.

ah that's a relief, I didn't want to fuck up your vote

Illuminatus does have harsh vocals, harsh as in "yelling" not as growls or anything.
Red (my favorite along with Illuminatus) has both harsh and clean vocals, I think mostly clean though but I really enjoy their music. catchy.

You could check out both
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 18:59
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 18:55

Hhahahah well, that is actually bad for us as our goal is to always avoid the write-ins as much as possible.
I'm not saying you should do that though, just saying that we always hope to ahve the best nominees and please the largest amount of people.

Wishful thinking though...

I know. It's just my personal issue. My favourite albums this year are just not very popular.
I'll give all the albums that were nominated a chance, though. That's for sure.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
01.02.2012 - 19:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Merchant of Doom on 01.02.2012 at 18:56

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 18:32

Written by Merchant of Doom on 01.02.2012 at 18:26

Ixion: To The Void is not their debut album... it's their second... first one was Through The Space We Die (2007)... DELETE!

Nope, it's a demo. Even the band consider it a demo.

ah, shit, it is a demo... DON'T DELETE!

I gotta admit though.... for one split second... I got REALLY scared But then I calmed down, checked their official website and it was a demo
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 19:05
JD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 18:58

Illuminatus does have harsh vocals, harsh as in "yelling" not as growls or anything, but still harsh
Red (probably my favorite) has both harsh and clean vocals, I think mostly clean though but I really enjoy their music. catchy.

You could check out both

I think I'm gonna try Illuminatus. As for Red I remember listening to their "End Of Silence", not my cup of tea
01.02.2012 - 19:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.02.2012 - 19:16
malaikat

People are again voting for Wintersun as the biggest letdown? Come on, they had their chance, and blew it. The album will probably be a 6.0, and that's coming from someone who gave 9 to their first release. I'm surprised people still remember them.
01.02.2012 - 19:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by malaikat on 01.02.2012 at 19:16

People are again voting for Wintersun as the biggest letdown? Come on, they had their chance, and blew it. The album will probably be a 6.0, and that's coming from someone who gave 9 to their first release. I'm surprised people still remember them.

The problem I have with those votes is that the joke is has been dead a while ago.

There are some funny write ins. For the doom category:
I - Hate This Genre.

Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 19:05

I think I'm gonna try Illuminatus. As for Red I remember listening to their "End Of Silence", not my cup of tea

Aye, there's a chance you might like them. I might end up voting for them because they have a superior songwritting comapred to my toher favorite, Red. I dig the post-metal injection.

Thinking back about Opeth. I don't know if I should vote for that one or Shining's latest as dissapointment of the year
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 19:46
Unhealer
Eclecticist

Anyway the biggest letdown winner is clearly going to be Lulu, you know it
01.02.2012 - 19:57
malaikat

Written by Unhealer on 01.02.2012 at 19:46

Anyway the biggest letdown winner is clearly going to be Lulu, you know it

I voted for Opeth. Almost all of us knew that LULU's going to suck, but I was really hyped-up about Opeth going "retro-proggy". As it turns out, that was just a gimmick to justify a lazy written album which tried to justify it's boringness with pretentiousness. I'm the first to call myself an Opeth-fanboy, but that was just dissapointing.
01.02.2012 - 20:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by malaikat on 01.02.2012 at 19:57
I voted for Opeth. Almost all of us knew that LULU's going to suck, but I was really hyped-up about Opeth going "retro-proggy". As it turns out, that was just a gimmick to justify a lazy written album which tried to justify it's boringness with pretentiousness. I'm the first to call myself an Opeth-fanboy, but that was just dissapointing.

THIS
THIS FUCKING POST

Just with a few more curses from my part. I fully agree.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 20:26
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by malaikat on 01.02.2012 at 19:57

Ahhh, I liked that one Not among my top albums, but I'm hyped for hearing some songs live next month
01.02.2012 - 20:42
JD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 19:25

Aye, there's a chance you might like them. I might end up voting for them because they have a superior songwritting comapred to my toher favorite, Red. I dig the post-metal injection.

Thinking back about Opeth. I don't know if I should vote for that one or Shining's latest as dissapointment of the year

For me it's probably between Illuminatus(love the cover!), and Lunatic Soul.

As for the disappointment thingy, I think many of you knows that my vote is definitely going to TGM.
01.02.2012 - 20:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 20:42
For me it's probably between Illuminatus(love the cover!), and Lunatic Soul.

Glad that you liked them! Always great to discover new stuff.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.02.2012 - 20:47
JD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 20:43

The last year I remember skipping the alternative section, but not this year, thanks to you
01.02.2012 - 22:28
musclassia

Thought I might as well check, would Sylosis Edge Of The Earth go under Thrash, metalcore or what else?
And Protest The Hero isn't under metalcore?
01.02.2012 - 22:34
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Best Grindcore Album- Landmine Marathon - Gallows

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.02.2012 - 22:59
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 01.02.2012 at 17:47

Written by Deadmeat on 01.02.2012 at 15:07

Only 3 votes from me (Death, Symphonic and Letdown) and there may be one 4th (Thrash).

i think a reconsideration in the voting system would make the results a bit more fair.

reconsideration is there, i mean on a first go if you select a particular album to be best after that too you can change your option. you gotta whole fucking feb month to do that, then why do you need for again-reconsideration??! and tbh once all the votes are collected...majority wins! it is very pristine and straightforward.

i said reconsideration in the voting system and not to be able to change the vote...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
01.02.2012 - 23:06
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 20:47

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 20:43

The last year I remember skipping the alternative section, but not this year, thanks to you

I'm going to give Illuminatus some proper listens, great stuff !
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
02.02.2012 - 00:27
Merchant of Doom

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 19:01

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.02.2012 at 18:32

Written by Merchant of Doom on 01.02.2012 at 18:26

Ixion: To The Void is not their debut album... it's their second... first one was Through The Space We Die (2007)... DELETE!

Nope, it's a demo. Even the band consider it a demo.

I gotta admit though.... for one split second... I got REALLY scared But then I calmed down, checked their official website and it was a demo

bah, I was convinced it was an album... it's over 30 minutes long (just checked... ) and, to be honest, feels like an album... never checked its "status" either until now... bastards!
02.02.2012 - 01:07
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by musclassia on 01.02.2012 at 22:28

Thought I might as well check, would Sylosis Edge Of The Earth go under Thrash, metalcore or what else?

Sylosis was in our thrash section
Protest The Hero didn't make it, but was considered for metalcore or progressive. Could really fit in both, I guess.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.02.2012 - 01:31
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 01.02.2012 at 18:24

Written by Guest on 01.02.2012 at 14:23

help im being repressed

If you're so pissed and butt hurt about Absu not being nominated and about the Staff, Elites and Contributors giving you shit for over-reacting about such an inconsequential and (in the grand scheme of life) pointless Award ceremony then why don't you just go delete your account and start up your own metal webzine/site (call it bluemobiusthinksabsuisthebestblackmetalbandintheworldawards.com or something to that tune) and have yourself a field day getting mad at your subscribers because/if/when most of them all agreed that bands like Glorior Belli and Wolves In the Throne Room put out better albums then Absu; and then you can invoke your right as site owner/moderator to say they're all retarded and repress their opinions and put in your uber vote that Absu has the best BM album of 2011 and tell them all to "fuck off" cuz they're wrong...

Way to have no sense of humor at all. Looks like you're the butthurt one. Like I've said over and over, there is no need to be hostile over my simple suggestions and questions. If, as a user, I can't question the system, then why even bother having a comment section? I'm not going to praise something I don't agree with. I can offer my opinion, if I want. Notice your cuss word filled paragraph above. Not once have I used that language in any of my replies on this topic. If you want to talk further, calm down.
02.02.2012 - 02:15
musclassia

Written by Darkside Momo on 02.02.2012 at 01:07

Written by musclassia on 01.02.2012 at 22:28

Sylosis was in our thrash section
Protest The Hero didn't make it, but was considered for metalcore or progressive. Could really fit in both, I guess.

Thanks, written in votes for both of them, good to know I've got the right genres. Bit suprised PTH didn't make the metalcore list whilst something as okay-but-disappointing as Becoming The Archetype's latest made the cut, but ah well.
02.02.2012 - 02:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Guest on 02.02.2012 at 01:31

Notice your cuss word filled paragraph above. Not once have I used that language in any of my replies on this topic.

Cuss word filled paragraph? What cuss words?
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.02.2012 - 03:54
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

I said this before and will say it again: It has a Duke Nukem Forever feel. Put off far too long and will never live up to expectation.
----
rekt
02.02.2012 - 05:12
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by tea[m]ster on 02.02.2012 at 03:54

I said this before and will say it again: It has a Duke Nukem Forever feel. Put off far too long and will never live up to expectation.

Agreed...
----

02.02.2012 - 08:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
There's quite a lot of write in votes for albums already nominated in that genre. Can't people read?
And someone beat me to nominating Limp Bizkit. Can't see Lulu in any write ins, though.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.02.2012 - 09:06
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 02.02.2012 at 08:50

There's quite a lot of write in votes for albums already nominated in that genre. Can't people read?

No kidding...fukn ridiculous...

You do realize that you still need to write in Limp Bizkit so they get more votes right?
----

02.02.2012 - 09:21
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by psykometal on 02.02.2012 at 09:06

Written by M C Vice on 02.02.2012 at 08:50

No kidding...fukn ridiculous...

You do realize that you still need to write in Limp Bizkit so they get more votes right?

Yeah, I just thought that I'd be the only one here who liked them.
BTW, Cold said something about write in votes being wiped if they don't fit the genre. If I voted for Gallhammer in extreme doom, would it get wiped?
And Blood Stain Child has been written i in 3 different catagories. Which one do you reckon they have the best chance in (so I can put my vote in there, though I'm leaning towards either power or electro)?
----
02.02.2012 - 09:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 02.02.2012 at 09:21

BTW, Cold said something about write in votes being wiped if they don't fit the genre. If I voted for Gallhammer in extreme doom, would it get wiped?
And Blood Stain Child has been written i in 3 different catagories. Which one do you reckon they have the best chance in (so I can put my vote in there, though I'm leaning towards either power or electro)?

Yea I wouldn't have guessed anybody would vote for Limp Bizkit either, but I haven't liked them since Chocolate Starfish.

As for what BC said, I'm not Staff so I can only speculate but I too would say Gallhammer belongs in extreme doom. And I would say that BSC belongs in Industrial/Electro. If you're worried about your write-in getting nuked then I would PM BC just to be safe (since it seems he's the one who is probably in charge of the strike codes)...
----

02.02.2012 - 09:32
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by psykometal on 02.02.2012 at 09:27

Written by M C Vice on 02.02.2012 at 09:21

Yea I wouldn't have guessed anybody would vote for Limp Bizkit either, but I haven't listened to them since Chocolate Starfish.

As for what BC said, I'm not Staff so I can only speculate but I too would say Gallhammer belongs in extreme doom. And I would say the BSC belongs in Electro. If you're worried about your write-in getting nuked then I would PM BC just to be sure...

Thanks. I asked Cold earlier in this thread, but haven't heard back yet. I asked if Gallhammer could get doomaded to thair styles a while ago, but Troy and Marcel poo-pood it.
I saw ICS Vortex in the melodic black write ins. And I'm surprised Megadeth didn't get a nomination, being a very well known band, although I'll be voting for Diamond Plate.
----

Hits total: 16285 | This month: 13