Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2011 - Now Open!

Metalstormers, the time is here once more.

The Metal Storm Awards 2011 are now open!

Throughout January we have been painstakingly working to provide you with a run-down of our nominations for what we feel are the best albums of 2011. It is now your job to check out the cream of the crop, and vote for your favourites.

This is the eighth year of the Metal Storm Awards, and as always you have the month of February to cast your judgement. This year however, we have introduced a couple of new categories; Melodic Black and Djent/Math metal, and also split up a few of the categories that were coupled in previous years.

Don't forget to share this news with your friends, or even start your own campaign over the internet for your favourite bands to win. We have done the hard work bringing you these nominations, now let's have some fun. Useful banners and buttons can be found here.

Results will be announced on the 1st March!

- The Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.02.2012 by Ivan

Comments page 9 / 15

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 431   Visited by: 1541 users
03.02.2012 - 04:10
sq_xeper

Written by psykometal on 03.02.2012 at 03:48

Written by sq_xeper on 03.02.2012 at 03:18

I still dont know why Metalstorm ALWAYS puts a band that NO ONE KNOWS into the voting, example: Medeia, not even Metal Archives has a review for that album, Im guessing this site is friend of the band. There was so many other great death metal releases i.e. Entrails, Demonical, Blaspherian, Disma, Supreme Pain, Funerus, etc

2 part answer. A) It's not about if ANYONE knows the bands. B) The MS Awards are also about introducing EVERYONE else to bands they probably didn't know existed...

then dont put them in the voting of best albums of the year and put them in the random stuff or something similar
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
03.02.2012 - 04:13
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by sq_xeper on 03.02.2012 at 03:18

I still dont know why Metalstorm ALWAYS puts a band that NO ONE KNOWS into the voting, example: Medeia, not even Metal Archives has a review for that album, Im guessing this site is friend of the band. There was so many other great death metal releases i.e. Entrails, Demonical, Blaspherian, Disma, Supreme Pain, Funerus, etc

Trust me I tried to get DIsma in but there are a couple of Disma haters around in the staff/elites it seems Same applies to bands such as Entrails, Demonical and Blaspherian. Some people just HATE revivalist bands (even though Entrails isn't opne since they started out in 1990 or 1991) and only want change change change hahahaha
But Disma produced THE best album of 2011 no matter what genre, imo
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.02.2012 - 04:14
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by sq_xeper on 03.02.2012 at 04:10

then dont put them in the voting of best albums of the year and put them in the random stuff or something similar

But you're missing another very important part of the equation (that you would know if you have taken the time to do read through all the other posts in this thread)...the MS Awards are what the Staff think are the best albums of the year AND the Staff listen to a lot more than just the Billboard Top 100...guess that should've been a 3 part answer...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

03.02.2012 - 06:25
Garth Vader

Why the hell are there four, count them... FOUR genres for DOOM?? Really? We need Doom, Extreme Doom, Metalgaze (wtf is that, other than, oh right... doom) and Post Metal (glorified technical doom). Seriously. We get one genre for the vast landscape of say DM or PM or SM and have one choice there but it seems like we have nominated a full 90% of the Doom bands on the planet with all four of the above genres. A little one sided are we? I think we would be better served by less categories in doom and the ability to choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each instead. A little annoyed with having to pencil in a bunch of killer albums into random genres to get them some recognition.
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
03.02.2012 - 06:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Garth Vader on 03.02.2012 at 06:25

A little annoyed with having to pencil in a bunch of killer albums into random genres to get them some recognition.

FYI, putting bands in random genres they don't belong in will get those votes nuked in the end so you might want to delete those yourself and make votes that are actually going to count...
----

03.02.2012 - 06:34
The Galactician

Written by Milena on 01.02.2012 at 02:05

Written by enumaelis on 01.02.2012 at 01:54

Oh there was no Obscura in any nomination?

Nope, so feel free to add it in the write-ins, but try to listen to the death metal nominees first to see if there is anything you like more

I hastily voted thinking Obscura would be someplace else. They would have been my write-in, but I shan't lose sleep over it.
03.02.2012 - 06:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by The Galactician on 03.02.2012 at 06:34

I hastily voted thinking Obscura would be someplace else. They would have been my write-in, but I shan't lose sleep over it.

In case you didn't realize, you can delete your vote and write in Obscura if you want...
----

03.02.2012 - 06:40
Garth Vader

Written by psykometal on 03.02.2012 at 06:32

A little annoyed with having to pencil in a bunch of killer albums into random genres to get them some recognition.

FYI, putting bands in random genres they don't belong in will get those votes nuked in the end so you might want to delete those yourself and make votes that are actually going to go count...

I put them in reasonably close and feasible genres, but I had to use my vote for Septic Flesh in Symphonic Metal??! Why? That is just rude. Not to mention only mildly accurate in any sense of the genre. Do you think they consider themselves SM?? Myrath gets my vote in Progressive Metal and steals that opportunity from Symphony X or Fair to Midland or the excellent Anubis Gate even though Myrath really belong to more of World or Ethnic Metal genre. Just saying some of the groupings are infuriatingly inaccurate unless you are into Doom...
----
03.02.2012 - 06:45
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Garth Vader on 03.02.2012 at 06:40

I put them in reasonably close and feasible genres, but I had to use my vote for Septic Flesh in Symphonic Metal??! Why? That is just rude. Not to mention only mildly accurate in any sense of the genre. Do you think they consider themselves SM?? Myrath gets my vote in Progressive Metal and steals that opportunity from Symphony X or Fair to Midland or the excellent Anubis Gate even though Myrath really belong to more of World or Ethnic Metal genre. Just saying some of the groupings are infuriatingly inaccurate unless you are into Doom...

That's ok, you're not the only person who disagrees with some of the Staffs ideas and you won't be the last...hell most of my disagreements don't even have anything to do with the MS Awards...
----

03.02.2012 - 06:58
Garth Vader

Written by psykometal on 03.02.2012 at 06:45

Written by Garth Vader on 03.02.2012 at 06:40

That's ok, you're not the only person who disagrees with some of the Staffs ideas and you won't be the last...hell most of my disagreements don't even have anything to do with the MS Awards...

On the upside there are quite a few bands to check out now that so many are grouped so randomly. I'll have a few to look into. I had to laugh at the idea of Metallica showing up on the "disappointment" list though... I haven't been even remotely impressed since the Black Album and even that one leaves a sour taste in my mouth. They continue to make my "as expected" list.
----
03.02.2012 - 07:18
The Galactician

Written by psykometal on 03.02.2012 at 06:39

Written by The Galactician on 03.02.2012 at 06:34

In case you didn't realize, you can delete your vote and write in Obscura if you want...

Thanks, I didn't and shall!
03.02.2012 - 07:21
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by The Galactician on 03.02.2012 at 07:18

Thanks, I didn't and shall!

Your welcome...
----

03.02.2012 - 09:24
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Iskander on 03.02.2012 at 01:04

another solution could be to introduce even more sub-genres, so that you could vote for fleshgod AND obscura AND origin (that's my main dilemma in the death metal category right now. oh and ulcerate... arghhh!) because they would be in different genres for some strange reason...

Ah, but that would be too wide and we probably wouldn't have found enough good bands to fill in all the genres
----
7.0 means the album is good
03.02.2012 - 09:34
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Milena on 03.02.2012 at 09:24

Ah, but that would be too wide and we probably wouldn't have found enough good bands to fill in all the genres

Depends on the sub-genres introduced. For example, I believe there should have been a Technical Death metal category cuz 2011 saw several superb TDM releases and the differences in style and technique between the main genre and the subgenre are so vast that, imo, it's not very fair. However I'm not going to throw a fit over it, like so many others, simply because (even though I wasn't able to participate in the official nom process) I can completely understand and comprehend the level of hard work and effort all you guys had to go through to put the awards together.
----

03.02.2012 - 09:37
Milena
gloom cookie

Why the hell are there four, count them... FOUR genres for DOOM?? Really? We need Doom, Extreme Doom, Metalgaze (wtf is that, other than, oh right... doom) and Post Metal (glorified technical doom). Seriously. We get one genre for the vast landscape of say DM or PM or SM and have one choice there but it seems like we have nominated a full 90% of the Doom bands on the planet with all four of the above genres. A little one sided are we? I think we would be better served by less categories in doom and the ability to choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each instead. A little annoyed with having to pencil in a bunch of killer albums into random genres to get them some recognition.

Duuuuuude.
Metalgaze is mostly black metal + shoegaze. No doom there.
Post metal is technical doom? What the fuck is technical about post metal? Actually, scrap that, what the hell is doom about post metal?

For some bands there's no better solution. A big problem with symphonic metal is that it's always symphonic + something (power, gothic, folk and this year we had death). Now, usually, if something is progressive metalcore, we put it in metalcore, but if it's progressive metal with a core-spice, we put it in prog (random example). Every time the symphonic spice takes over the -goth/power/folk roots of the music in the symphonic genre, we put it in symphonic. Which was the case with Septicflesh. And the proof that Septicflesh isn't your everyday extreme metal album is shown by its wide popularity and the fact that a lot of people, who normally aren't even the slightest into death, listened to it and had no problem with it. If we put it in competition against Vallenfyre and similar, a lot of people would have argued against that too.
----
03.02.2012 - 09:41
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by psykometal on 03.02.2012 at 09:34

Depends on the sub-genres introduced. For example, I believe there should have been a Technical Death metal category cuz 2011 saw several superb TDM releases and the differences in style and technique between the main genre and the subgenre are so vast that, imo, it's not very fair. However I'm not going to throw a fit over it, like so many others, simply because (even though I wasn't able to participate in the official nom process) I can completely understand and comprehend the level of hard work and effort all you guys had to go through to put the awards together.

Well, I'm sure some people would have thrown a fit about it and demanded that we introduce several other genres since we have THREE genres for DM but I believe it will be taken into consideration next year... the problem with death, as someone pinpointed earlier, is that it comes in waves, so you can never be sure whether you will have the same categories the next year.
----
03.02.2012 - 09:41
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2012 at 14:04

Written by M C Vice on 02.02.2012 at 09:21

BTW, Cold said something about write in votes being wiped if they don't fit the genre. If I voted for Gallhammer in extreme doom, would it get wiped?

Imo and I think that of a few others as well Gallhammer is balck metal and not extreme doom, so they should be written in in black metal. Their music is mostly black metal mixed with crust punk and only some very very very very slight extreme doom in there.

So would the vote be counted or deleted?
I'm not gonna argue with you about the genre. Neither of us are gonna change the other's mind, so why bother. (PM me if you want to debate it anyway)
I ment to ask yesterday. Do the winning bands get any sort of prize from this? Do you send 'em a certificate or something?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.02.2012 - 09:43
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2012 at 09:41

So would the vote be counted or deleted?
I'm not gonna argue with you about the genre. Neither of us are gonna change the other's mind, so why bother. (PM me if you want to debate it anyway)
I ment to ask yesterday. Do the winning bands get any sort of prize from this? Do you send 'em a certificate or something?

Well, since you've got two answers in favor of black, put it in black.
I think they're being sent a notification that they've won, dunno about virtual trophies and such but with a database of 30 000, it is something to brag about
----
03.02.2012 - 09:45
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2012 at 22:11

prior djent discussions

On the subject of djent there's a group from Switzerland you should look into if you're not already familiar with them, Neosis, who are creating some pretty amazing stuff. They've been working on their sound and getting songs together for the last couple years and hopefully will have something to release later this year (if so they will definitely be a major contender for the Djent/Math category for the 2012 MS Awards).

http://www.facebook.com/Neosisofficial?sk=app_178091127385
----

03.02.2012 - 09:47
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2012 at 09:41

Well, since you've got two answers in favor of black, put it in black.
I think they're being sent a notification that they've won, dunno about virtual trophies and such but with a database of 30 000, it is something to brag about

Alright. (if Wolves In The Throne Room lose by 1 vote, don't blame me)
Mailing the bands a little certificate would be a nice touch. Something they could hang on their wall and look at with pride.
----
03.02.2012 - 09:52
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Milena on 03.02.2012 at 09:41

the problem with death, as someone pinpointed earlier, is that it comes in waves, so you can never be sure whether you will have the same categories the next year.

Yea, this is very true. I'm just sad that I couldn't vote for both Archspire (TDM) AND Demisery (DM).
----

03.02.2012 - 09:54
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2012 at 09:47

Alright. (if Wolves In The Throne Room lose by 1 vote, don't blame me)
Mailing the bands a little certificate would be a nice touch. Something they could hang on their wall and look at with pride.

I think they just get an email with a link to the page that shows they won the category so that they can link it to all the social networks they're on...
----

03.02.2012 - 09:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Ok, I have to know. What the fuck IS djent? What does it sound like?
----
03.02.2012 - 10:02
R'Vannith
ghedengi
"Post Metal (glorified technical doom)"

03.02.2012 - 10:50
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2012 at 09:58

Sample Tesseract from the nominees and you'll get a pretty good idea, since most people agree their this year's album is pretty much one of the ways you can define the sound.
----
03.02.2012 - 10:55
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by M C Vice on 03.02.2012 at 09:58

Listen Meshuggah and you'll know what it is. *as simple as possible*
03.02.2012 - 11:16
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by R'Vannith on 03.02.2012 at 10:02

yep, that is probably the most hilarious comment so far
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.02.2012 - 11:46
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Darkside Momo on 03.02.2012 at 11:16

Technical doom would be quite a feat!
03.02.2012 - 11:53
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by R'Vannith on 03.02.2012 at 11:46

Written by Darkside Momo on 03.02.2012 at 11:16

Technical doom would be quite a feat!

The main problem, I guess would be the conflict between technical (read twisted, elaborate, etc.) songwriting and the simple yet deep emotions that doom is about. I do have difficulties to imagine a band able to evoke sorrow and loss with crazy twisting riffs and stuff.
That said, I'm sure it will be done at some point, if it hasn't already

just back on the comment: this guy has no grasp on the musical scenes as a whole. Post-rock or post-metal = doom? WTF!?
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.02.2012 - 13:46
Charly546

The Heavy/Melodic metal category is a really tough nut to crack this year. All the nominees are great. Except Saxon, good but not great. Or maybe I should write-in something. Riot, Satan's Host or maybe even Manilla Road, though Manilla Road was average by Manilla Road standards (which still means good enough to compete in best of 2011).

Seems like I have to listen to all of them again and then flip a coin to determine the winner.

Also, hypothetically, if I'd want to write-in Riot "Immortal Soul" or Satan's Host "By The Hands of The Devil", what category should I use?

Hits total: 16257 | This month: 26