Metal Storm logo
Guns N' Roses

Original post

Posted by Eight, 18.05.2006 - 13:36
I do belive that all of you know this band, don't you ? So i guess ill be the one who creates this thread.
I hear peoplesaying that Guns'n'Roses would be better off whitout Axel! i think not, whats done is done, and there couldnt be G'n'R whitout Axels Guns
02.07.2012 - 00:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I just saw them in concert, and my God, where the hell did Axl find these guys? they are some of the most talented musicians I've ever seen, they played for 3 fucking hours, the longest single concert i've ever seen and even at the very end still had the energy to run around and nail that awesome ending of Paradise City. I have never seen a band play that much with few if any fuckups, and apparently this was a typical show for this tour (only difference is that on some other festivals they were a bit more time-constrained, which did not happen here fortunately).

I still think the real GnR is with Slash, Izzy, Duff and Adler, in addition to Axl and Reed, but this version of Guns kicks serious ass. to the people who don't give them a chance in concert, "I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me".
03.07.2012 - 09:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Valentin B on 02.07.2012 at 00:44

but this version of Guns kicks serious ass. to the people who don't give them a chance in concert, "I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me".

You and I are alone on that one. I actually have a different opinion on Chinese Democracy each time I listen to it. Some times it sounds great, other times I can't stomach.

Either way, there really is no point in comparing it to old GnR, love it or hate it, it's a whole different band, and sounds like a whole different band. On one hand you could say one has more of a gritty charm to it, with much more of a youthful, energetic vibe. while the other is polished, diverse and technically proficient. The strengths lie in completely different areas, it all depends on what you value more in the music.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
03.07.2012 - 19:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 03.07.2012 at 09:32

but this version of Guns kicks serious ass. to the people who don't give them a chance in concert, "I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me".

You and I are alone on that one. I actually have a different opinion on Chinese Democracy each time I listen to it. Some times it sounds great, other times I can't stomach.

Either way, there really is no point in comparing it to old GnR, love it or hate it, it's a whole different band, and sounds like a whole different band. On one hand you could say one has more of a gritty charm to it, with much more of a youthful, energetic vibe. while the other is polished, diverse and technically proficient. The strengths lie in completely different areas, it all depends on what you value more in the music.

I guess you're right that these are two different bands, there have always been huge differences between their songs, for example compare the heavy and fast Nightrain or You Could Be Mine to piano ballads like Estranged or November Rain, I pretty much prefer the latter version of Guns.

Some people out there though, still nurture that hope that somehow Slash (because who cares about Izzy, Duff and Adler) will make peace with Rose and rejoin Guns, "because Guns ain't nothing without Slash". I am pretty sure that will never happen, at least while Axl has so much success and the band is doing so well. Chinese Democracy was a hit without any kind of input from the former members, Rose imo only owes them the name of the band as he has proven, although after quite some years, that he can keep the ship afloat without their help.

And scratch what I said above: the old version of Guns, that ship has sailed. I don't expect them to get back together again, it's a nice listen every now and then and the old songs sound great live, but I listen to it as I listen to Jimi Hendrix or good-vocals-era Queensryche. Good times, those were, but they ain't coming back.
04.07.2012 - 00:18
Warman
Erotic Stains
There's no way in hell I'd pay to see Axl Rose today. Sure, it's probably better than I imagine it to be, but still, for that money? No. Although I can agree with that Chinese Democracy isn't that bad. During it's bad moments, it really is bad. Horrible. But there's several tracks from it which I still have on my MP3. Though I never put on my physical copy of it.
----
20.07.2012 - 08:38
bran

I just saw them in concert, and my God, where the hell did Axl find these guys? they are some of the most talented musicians I've ever seen, they played for 3 fucking hours, the longest single concert i've ever seen and even at the very end still had the energy to run around and nail that awesome ending of Paradise City. I have never seen a band play that much with few if any fuckups, and apparently this was a typical show for this tour (only difference is that on some other festivals they were a bit more time-constrained, which did not happen here fortunately).

I still think the real GnR is with Slash, Izzy, Duff and Adler, in addition to Axl and Reed, but this version of Guns kicks serious ass. to the people who don't give them a chance in concert, "I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me".

they are a great live band and chinese democracy was a great album IMO. i still prefer the 2001/2002 lineup but this lineup is also killer
the current lineup (in case you didnt know their names)
axl rose- vocals
ron "bumblefoot" thal- guitar
richard fortus- guitar
dj ashba- guitar
tommy stinson- bass
frank ferrer- drums
chris pitman- keyboard/synth
dizzy reed- piano
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
22.07.2012 - 21:56
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Doc G. on 03.07.2012 at 09:32

I actually have a different opinion on Chinese Democracy each time I listen to it. Some times it sounds great, other times I can't stomach.

You're not the only one. The album definitely has its depth, but I can't form a solid opinion on it. Sometimes I think it's amazing and other times I hear nothing but a filler after filler. And it has been going on from the first listening to this very day.

And reading Valentin B's experience with GnR live made me wanna see them even more! I hope they come play somewhere near, because even though I am also one of the Axl-Slash-Duff-Izzy-Adler = GnRers, I would so love to see Axl perform live.

p.s.: Just bought a new book about GnR. I know their story to the every last drop of it, but I dunno why, it never starts to bore me reading about it or watching documentaries.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.07.2012 - 01:26
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by AnGina-- on 22.07.2012 at 21:56

And reading Valentin B's experience with GnR live made me wanna see them even more! I hope they come play somewhere near, because even though I am also one of the Axl-Slash-Duff-Izzy-Adler = GnRers, I would so love to see Axl perform live.

p.s.: Just bought a new book about GnR. I know their story to the every last drop of it, but I dunno why, it never starts to bore me reading about it or watching documentaries.

oh, you definitely should, be warned, concert spoilers ahead . Axl is imo just one piece of the puzzle. I'm pretty sure you will be underwhelmed as his voice is very shrill and even annoying at times, but the real strength of the show was the instrumental proficiency of everyone on stage and how effortlessly they went through each song as if it was nothing, for 3 hours straight without almost any breaks. Bumblefoot especially surprised me when he went from some kind of solo acoustic improvisation absolutely seamlessly to the intro of "Don't Cry".

Axl and DJ Ashba were the only two who didn't actually play for pretty much the whole show and had a few breaks in between, but seriously the hat goes off to Fortus, Bumblefoot and the rhythm section. I have no idea what kind of cocaine the drummer is using, but it definitely works. I don't care if this is just a tribute band for some people out there, this kind of chemistry and musical dynamism is ridiculously rare and is worth the ticket price on its own.
15.02.2014 - 22:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.02.2014 - 00:22
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by deadone on 16.02.2014 at 23:53

I'll stick to the 1987 version...

Haha, my thoughts exactly.

The performance is good, no argue in that. I give them also high 5 for actually putting an effort and not making just another cover.

But that's not Sweet Child O'Mine. It doesn't have the flow or the edge that song holds and makes it special.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
07.12.2014 - 13:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What is all that about some rumors say Axel died then suddenly he post how came I am dearth but I still pay taxes?
what was that all about?
----

apos;'
[image]
07.12.2014 - 20:51
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Bad English on 07.12.2014 at 13:25
what was that all about?

It was a stupid hoax made by .... some as*holes I presume. He's not the only one, Jon Bon Jovi was rumoured more than one time to be dead and there's a s whole lot of more famous people (not just musicians) who have undergone the same hoax. I guess people just have too much spare time on their hands.
----
07.12.2014 - 21:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AnGina-- on 07.12.2014 at 20:51

Written by Bad English on 07.12.2014 at 13:25
what was that all about?

It was a stupid hoax made by .... some as*holes I presume. He's not the only one, Jon Bon Jovi was rumoured more than one time to be dead and there's a s whole lot of more famous people (not just musicians) who have undergone the same hoax. I guess people just have too much spare time on their hands.

I see, well as oles are ass loes no matter what
----

apos;'
[image]
11.02.2018 - 01:57
LesbianWithAGun

Love this band...
08.03.2019 - 11:27
JaneM

That is so cool! Me and my boyfriend are big fans of the Guns N Roses. I am thinking to present him this for his birthday - https://displate.com/displate/118442?art=5c81758a35ba9
What do you think?
13.03.2020 - 21:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
According to Billboard, promoters have postponed the GUNS N' ROSES-headlined Lollapalooza festivals in Argentina and Chile, originally set for later this month, in the wake of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The events will be rescheduled for the second half of 2020. No announcements have yet been made regarding Lollapalooza Brazil, which is set for April 3-5 in São Paulo.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-headlined-lollapalooza-festivals-in-argentina-chile-suspended-due-to-coronavirus/
----

apos;'
[image]
18.11.2020 - 17:28
LesbianWithAGun

The band have been using their downtime on lock down to work on new material.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/slash-gives-update-new-guns-n-roses-material-2701265
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1305004/Guns-N-Roses-new-album-Slash-new-music-Axl-Rose-Duff-McKagan
18.11.2020 - 17:49
LesbianWithAGun

Written by JaneM on 08.03.2019 at 11:27

That is so cool! Me and my boyfriend are big fans of the Guns N Roses. I am thinking to present him this for his birthday - https://displate.com/displate/118442?art=5c81758a35ba9
What do you think?

I think you just gave etsy a run for their money!
Good find. Excellent website, I like another Slash pic I see they have there for myself since it's from a beloved performance using a favourite guitar
https://displate.com/displate/2397482, but they have loads to choose from.
05.12.2022 - 17:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
GUNS N' ROSES will headline American Express presents BST Hyde Park for the very first time on Friday, June 30, 2023. One of America's most influential rock groups, featuring classic-lineup members Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan, is heading to London for the tenth anniversary of BST Hyde Park. Tickets go on general sale on Wednesday, December 7 at 10 a.m.
----

apos;'
[image]
05.12.2022 - 17:25
JoHn Doe

Written by Bad English on 05.12.2022 at 17:14

GUNS N' ROSES will headline American Express presents BST Hyde Park for the very first time on Friday, June 30, 2023. One of America's most influential rock groups, featuring classic-lineup members Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan, is heading to London for the tenth anniversary of BST Hyde Park. Tickets go on general sale on Wednesday, December 7 at 10 a.m.

how are they " one of America's most influential rock groups"?
Where did you copy this from? Was it Blabbermouth?
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
17.06.2023 - 12:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Duff McKagan has shared the song "Lighthouse", the title track from his third solo album, arriving everywhere on Friday, October 20. Pre-orders are available now. The album will be available in several variations, including CD, deluxe CD with fold-out photo print, cassette, standard black vinyl, and deluxe vinyl in a host of colors, each with lithographs, booklet, sticker, and guitar pick. Signed versions and exclusive store versions will be available as well. For more information, visit duffonline.com.

Duff states: "The crashing….the cresting waves, the falling through of all that surrounds you. Life sometimes tosses us around, and we feel the want of comfort and the pull of home. A ship tossed like a toy through the Cape, sails ripped and the wood groaning with the scraping of its ballast….a soul trying with all its might to find peace and a center. Find a lighthouse. I have my lighthouse….its beacon swirling in the darkness with her warmth and promise of nurture, love, laughter, and all that is true. Won't you be my lighthouse, give me light,…and bring me home."

"Lighthouse" track listing:

01. Lighthouse
02. Longfeather
03. Holy Water
04. I Saw God On 10th St
05. Fallen
06. Forgiveness
07. Just Another Shakedown
08. Fallen Ones
09. Hope (feat. Slash)
10. I Just Don't Know (feat. Jerry Cantrell)
11. Lighthouse (Reprise) (feat. Iggy Pop)

----

apos;'
[image]