Metal Storm logo
Black Sabbath - Bill Ward Out Of The Reunion

Bill Ward posted a lengthy message onto his Facebook yesterday stating that he is unable to continue with the Black Sabbath album and reunion tour, until a "signable" contract is drawn up that "reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band". This is his full message:

"Dear Sabbath Fans, Fellow Musicians and Interested Parties,

At this time, I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the Black Sabbath album and tour. However, I am unable to continue unless a "signable" contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band. Last year, I worked diligently in good faith with Tony, Ozzy and Geezer. And on 11/11/11, again in good faith, I participated in the L.A. press conference. Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another "unsignable" contract was handed to me.

Let me say that although this has put me in some kind of holding pattern, I am packed and ready to leave the U.S. for England. More importantly, I definitely want to play on the album, and I definitely want to tour with Black Sabbath.

Since the news of Tony's illness, and the understanding that the band would move production to the U.K., I've spent everyday getting to or living in a place of readiness to leave. That involves something of a task, and as I've tried to find out what's going on with the U.K. sessions, I've realized that I've been getting "the cold shoulder" (and, I might add, not for the first time). Feeling somewhat ostracized, my guess is as of today, I will know nothing of what's happening unless I sign "the unsignable contract."

The place I'm in feels lousy and lonely because as much as I want to play and participate, I also have to stand for something and not sign on. If I sign as-is, I stand to lose my rights, dignity and respectability as a rock musician. I believe in freedom and freedom of speech. I grew up in a hard rock/metal band. We stood for something then, and we played from the heart with honesty and sincerity. I am in the spirit of integrity, far from the corporate malady, I am real and honest, fair and compassionate.

If I'm replaced, I have to face you, the beloved Sabbath fans. I hope you will not hold me responsible for the failure of an original Black Sabbath lineup as promoted. Without fault finding, I want to assure everyone that my loyalty to Sabbath is intact.

So here I am. I lay my truth down before you. I'm good to go IF I get a "signable" contract. I don't want to let anyone down, especially Black Sabbath and all the Sabbath fans. You know I love you. It would be a sad day in Rock if this current situation fell to the desires of a few.

My position is not greed-driven. I'm not holding out for a "big piece" of the action (money) like some kind of blackmail deal. I'd like something that recognizes and is reflective of my contributions to the band, including the reunions that started fourteen years ago. After the last tour I vowed to never again sign on to an unreasonable contract. I want a contract that shows some respect to me and my family, a contract that will honor all that I've brought to Black Sabbath since its beginning.

That's the story so far.

Stay safe and stay strong.

I love every single one of you.

--Bill Ward"

A message has been posted on the Black Sabbath Facebook today in response:

"We were saddened to hear yesterday via Facebook that Bill declined publicly to participate in our current Black Sabbath plans...we have no choice but to continue recording without him although our door is always open... We are still in the UK with Tony. Writing and recording the new album and on a roll... See you at Download!!!

- Tony, Ozzy and Geezer"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Black Sabbath
Posted: 03.02.2012 by Baz Anderson

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 38   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 356 users
03.02.2012 - 22:24
Lit.
Account deleted
Not much of a reunion now, is it?
03.02.2012 - 22:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
They've made enough cash at this point... should just split everything to 25% each of whatever the band's share is.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.02.2012 - 22:47
Mattybu

Written by BitterCOld on 03.02.2012 at 22:26

They've made enough cash at this point... should just split everything to 25% each of whatever the band's share is.

Agreed, but then again with Sharon around I don't think this would ever be expected.

My money is on Ozzy having at least 50%.
03.02.2012 - 23:17
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Tough luck, one of the biggest reunions in metal history spoiled...
----
greets,
kual21
03.02.2012 - 23:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mattybu on 03.02.2012 at 22:47
Agreed, but then again with Sharon around I don't think this would ever be expected.

Yep, with Sharon around, there'd be no chance of every member getting an equal share. I say Sharon specifically here, as I believe Ozzy himself would have no problem splitting the money evenly amongst all the band members. I doubt Ozzy's share is that great, or Geezer and Tony probably wouldn't have signed on for that. It would appear at the least, that Bill has been offered substantially less money than any of the other 3 members, in which case, I can understand his feelings. The only way I could accept no Bill Ward in the reunion, is if he wasn't physically capable of playing, or he was no longer with us. Seeing as neither of these things is the case, to me there is no "reunion" without Bill Ward, and it makes me far less interested in it now than I was previously.
03.02.2012 - 23:24
vezzy
Stallmanite
Should have seen it coming. All the legal drama, and all of a sudden they want to reunite...
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.02.2012 - 23:42
Rulatore

He might have his reasons to do this, but at the point of view of many, he looks like an asshole Also, why that interview and all the shit before the contracts and stuff ?
03.02.2012 - 23:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Rulatore on 03.02.2012 at 23:42

He might have his reasons to do this, but at the point of view of many, he looks like an asshole Also, why that interview and all the shit before the contracts and stuff ?

Were it not for the fact that Sharon almost certainly had something to do with the contents of this contract, he may indeed come off looking like an asshole. As it is, I feel it is highly likely he does have a right to feel aggrieved. As for the second part of your comment, Bill was probably not prepared for the tiny slice of the pie he would be recieving. lol
04.02.2012 - 00:26
Unhealer
Eclecticist

I actually think it's more like Ozzy 40%, Iommi 40% and 10% for Butler and Ward, the later two being treated as the "replaceable". Just that Ward is not accepting this.

Think about it, reunion would still be happening without Iommi or Ozzy? I can see it happening without Butler and right now you are seeing what is happening without Ward... but the other two playing together are "the main attraction", for most people at least.
04.02.2012 - 00:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
They shood relise one or 2 good old vein doomy albums and no tour at all, then let they go
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.02.2012 - 00:39
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Tony has lymphoma, Bill's getting pissy about respect to him... it's only a matter of time before this whole reunion thing falls to shit.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
04.02.2012 - 00:51
SSM
Massacred
Reunion or Ruinion?
04.02.2012 - 01:00
RavenKing

Written by Auntie Sahar on 04.02.2012 at 00:39

it's only a matter of time before this whole reunion thing falls to shit.

I expected nothing else.
Now it looks like these old farts are starting to fight among themselves one more time. Makes me laugh.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.02.2012 - 01:29
John Sandman

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sharon that evil c...
04.02.2012 - 03:15
Am I the only one who thought Black Sabbath's response post was more asshole-ish than Bill Ward's? This whole facebook bickering event seems really childish....
04.02.2012 - 03:17
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Unhealer on 04.02.2012 at 00:26

I actually think it's more like Ozzy 40%, Iommi 40% and 10% for Butler and Ward, the later two being treated as the "replaceable". Just that Ward is not accepting this.

Think about it, reunion would still be happening without Iommi or Ozzy? I can see it happening without Butler and right now you are seeing what is happening without Ward... but the other two playing together are "the main attraction", for most people at least.

Geezer Butler wrote most of the lyrics to their first 8 albums. He's not replacable (in songwriting, at least).
It may not be the fault of Ozzy/Sharon. With the musician turnover Sabbath had in the 80s and 90s, Iommi may be the one responsible.
Anyway, will it be Vinnie Apiece or Eric Singer who'll be brought in?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.02.2012 - 05:49
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Well, it did seem too good to be true. I just hope this reunion won't start crumbling from this point on...
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
04.02.2012 - 07:42
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by AndMetalForAll on 03.02.2012 at 23:17

Tough luck, one of the biggest reunions in metal history spoiled...

What if I say this is a publicity stunt??!! Pure stunt..!! He gonna be back and will be back with the bang. It's just that they spit this news in to grab some news and headlines all over the fucking newspapers/ mag/ websites etc. IMO Bill will be back.
04.02.2012 - 09:37
Svneatr
Vitharr
The way Bill is speaking about this, it appears not to be about the money at all. He keeps asking for respect as a musician. Likely the contract, decreases his say in the band, creatively. Maybe Tony or (much more likely) Ozzy has final say on all band related business (which songs make the album, how much touring to do etc. etc.)
04.02.2012 - 10:05
graceB

I kinda like it. Though, it sounds not really a reunion.
04.02.2012 - 14:30
Jan

Not the same with out Ward. Makes me kinda sorry I bought those tickets... :-(
04.02.2012 - 15:15
Milena
gloom cookie
This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
----
7.0 means the album is good
04.02.2012 - 15:47
Scuzzy McDouche

That's a real shame...without Bill Ward, it is not a reunion, it's simply Ozzy rejoining the band. However, I honestly wouldn't mind hearing a new album with Ozzy, and possibly with Vinny Appice on drums.
04.02.2012 - 20:32
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I like Vinny Appice more, but I want there to be a full reunion. I'm on Bill's side on this though, he shouldn't let people jerk him around like that. But I think that the rest of the band members should try and fight for him.
04.02.2012 - 20:38
Milena
gloom cookie
Here's an interesting article on the topic... it's not groundbreaking new information but it is a good read.
----
04.02.2012 - 22:38
Lethean
Account deleted
Gee !! his band mates should have been on his side instead of that unfair message on facebook, the band owes him so much, he was a dedicated member wasn't he? why is that, he is talking of respect not money...it was sad to read this
04.02.2012 - 22:49
Dedcalm
Account deleted
Written by Frankthetank727 on 04.02.2012 at 03:15

Am I the only one who thought Black Sabbath's response post was more asshole-ish than Bill Ward's? This whole facebook bickering event seems really childish....

Cant believe they didnt give him what he wanted. We all need respect, They have walked away and ruined this reunion not Bill.
05.02.2012 - 01:24
ryche76

Cant say I am not surprised this happened. My question is..."Why didn't they all agree to a binding contract before all four of them got back together so no legal BS can occur ?? OOOHHHHH that's right Sharon 'control freak' Osborne wouldn't have anything to do with that unless majority goes to Ozzy !!!!
05.02.2012 - 02:05
Dedcalm
Account deleted
Lets be honest. We all share a mutual hatred of the OZ bitch, but to be fair we don't know this is her fault. Plus Bill did say this isnt a money issue. We don't know the whole story and probably never willl. I'm hoping that the rest of Sbbath didn't find out through Facebook cause if they di thats a bit s**ty on Bills part.
06.02.2012 - 00:46
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Irritable Ted on 05.02.2012 at 13:35

Compared to the reunion with RJD it will probably be really disappointing.

That's one of the things I regret - never seeing RJD live. If he were alive they would probably just continue with Heaven and Hell (well probably) and we wouldn't be hearing any of this shit.
----

Hits total: 5400 | This month: 7