Metal Storm logo
System Of A Down

Original post

Posted by , 18.05.2006 - 13:40
Pretty much single handedly responsible for getting me into metal altogether with their 'Toxicity' release. This is one amazing band, respected by critics and fans alike they create very original and unique music which can be appreciated on many levels as they take influence from all sorts of genres.

I've always had a bit a of a hard on for Serj's vocal style. He can be operatic and he can also bellow the house down if he wants to, one of the most distinctive vocals styles I've ever heard.

I've no doubt the "are they Nu Metal?" debate will come into play very soon, I for one don't see how they can be regarded as such, they simply have too many styles in their music to just be classified as simple nu metal.

Anyway, my personal fave album is their self titled debut, just a very chaotic release and very heavy and aggressive whilst having some crazy ass lyrics and compelling songwriting.

SUGAR!!!!!!!!
23.06.2016 - 23:36
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 23.06.2016 at 22:04

Can't quite believe that was 10 years ago. I still love System though. I've been listening to them a lot on the way to work recently. It's funny how many new layers and instruments you suddenly notice in things you've listened to 100s of times after your taste has "matured" after so much dissonant and experimental crap.

Oddly enough I think the album I look forward to listening to most these days is Steal This Album. Not entirely sure why, possibly because of the melodic / melancholic edge it has. Highway Song may be my fave System song these days.

I was also big into System from about five to ten years ago (and had I made a post like this back then it would've been much weirder and much worse, haha). I still love SoaD as well, and still listen to Toxicity and their debut every now and then. I will admit that I'm liking Steal This Album more than I used to. Used to be my least favorite, but now I'm feeling like Hypnotize and Mesmerize are not as good as I remember them being, and STA is actually better than either of those.

Still, nothing from their post-Toxicity stuff beats "Needles", "Forest", or "Aerials". Still my favorite System tracks.
----
24.06.2016 - 00:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 23.06.2016 at 23:36

I was also big into System from about five to ten years ago (and had I made a post like this back then it would've been much weirder and much worse, haha). I still love SoaD as well, and still listen to Toxicity and their debut every now and then. I will admit that I'm liking Steal This Album more than I used to. Used to be my least favorite, but now I'm feeling like Hypnotize and Mesmerize are not as good as I remember them being, and STA is actually better than either of those.

Still, nothing from their post-Toxicity stuff beats "Needles", "Forest", or "Aerials". Still my favorite System tracks.

I always thought Forest would have made a great single off that album. Possibly my fave song off that album.
24.06.2016 - 03:29
Overrwatcher

Forest really really is great. It's the classic SOAD craziness, but muffled and controlled to make a really unsettling song. Probably one of their best songs ever.

Every album they have put out is great. They are amazing songwriters who keep a streamlined sound that fits the radio but still have a crazy amount of energy and love experimentation. I'm really hyped to see what their future albums will be like. Serj's voice sounds the exact same as he did 14 years ago, and they had a lot of time to relax and think, so this can only be good.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
09.07.2016 - 15:44
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 07.07.2016 at 10:31

I'm always enjoyed this band, listened their best album make actually cheered me up in a bad day.

Lately i've been listening to them quite a lot
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
18.07.2016 - 22:56
Ganondox

Written by Guest on 24.06.2016 at 00:28

Written by Jaeryd on 23.06.2016 at 23:36

I always thought Forest would have made a great single off that album. Possibly my fave song off that album.

I'm thirding this.
03.11.2016 - 21:03
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
A 40 piece orchestra group namely "Metamorphestra" covering Chop Suey!

04.11.2016 - 05:43
Ganondox

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.11.2016 at 21:03

A 40 piece orchestra group namely "Metamorphestra" covering Chop Suey!

It's beautiful.
11.01.2017 - 16:27
Fiendfyre

I must admit, not really given System Of A Down much of a listen since I got into the more extreme metal, but when they got confirmed for Download Festival I decided to give the first two albums another spin and I really fell in love with them again cannot wait to see them later in the year. Not entirely sure what I think about the prospect of a new album, because a lot of comeback albums fail to reach the standard of their predecessors. Either way though, going to be a laugh in June!
05.03.2017 - 12:58
Nosferatus90

OMG! I really can't believe that was more then 10 years ago. Still love S.O.A.D.. Forever in my heart and in my player!
15.07.2022 - 12:59
heavyriffs
Account deleted
They are just great. I have seen them live and it was just amazing.
09.08.2022 - 23:05
joelchan

This one is also good! Love SoaD and all their songs actually!

company website worktime
----
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans