‹‹ Back to the Alternative metal forum Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]
Users visited: 296  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by !J.O.O.E.! on 18.05.2006 at 13:40
Pretty much single handedly responsible for getting me into metal altogether with their 'Toxicity' release. This is one amazing band, respected by critics and fans alike they create very original and unique music which can be appreciated on many levels as they take influence from all sorts of genres.

I've always had a bit a of a hard on for Serj's vocal style. He can be operatic and he can also bellow the house down if he wants to, one of the most distinctive vocals styles I've ever heard.

I've no doubt the "are they Nu Metal?" debate will come into play very soon, I for one don't see how they can be regarded as such, they simply have too many styles in their music to just be classified as simple nu metal.

Anyway, my personal fave album is their self titled debut, just a very chaotic release and very heavy and aggressive whilst having some crazy ass lyrics and compelling songwriting.

SUGAR!!!!!!!!

Page 11 of 11

deadone
Mainstream Whore

16.06.2014 at 03:25
Written by RavenEffect on 03.06.2014 at 20:26

Written by deadone on 03.06.2014 at 02:10

Man I'm not hearing rap here.

This is /thread for me. The rap component is crystal in that specific song, so yeah...it's you who dont want to listen, or maybe you cant make a clear distinction

How about you put something similar that is rap/hip hop that sounds like the Coal Chamber rap bits?
RavenEffect

20.06.2014 at 12:07
There is no point in doing such. The lyrical structure of the song is Rap, plain and simple. The fact that you dont hear any rap there serves as an answer to your whole argument "Nu metal has little hiphop elements". Like JOE said, the problem is you being unable to identify those same elements, thus they arent present in those specific songs.

If you try analysing the Metrics on the lyrical component, you'll end up seing it resembles more, say, Public Enemy (merely an example) than Kreator. Hip-Hop has some very specific Metric (one of the reasons that make the whole genre so hard to innovate), unlike Metal, which is why its so easy to distinguis what Nu Metal actually is. Rap-based structured Lyrics doesnt mean the guys are using 101 Rap like Limp Bizkit or RATM, sometimes they use a Rispid Semi-Growl on top of that, other times theres some tone there. The Rap is still there, but mixed with a more Metal Vocal style, thus the word "Rap-Based Lyrical Style". Almost all of these bands do so. If you listen to, say, Corey singing, he oftenly shifts between normal Rap to Growl(somewhat) but the structure doesnt change.
Ganondox

20.06.2014 at 16:14
They were one of the first metal bands I got into (though at the time I called them hard rock, wouldn't call them hard rock now), and are still one of my favorite. Their music is very unique, I love just how zany it is, and also love all the Middle Eastern influences. I really want another album from these guys.
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

20.06.2014 at 18:46
Written by Ganondox on 20.06.2014 at 16:14
I really want another album from these guys.

Get in line.
----
Prettier than BloodTears.
Neff Malakian

20.06.2014 at 21:04
System of a Down is one of the first metal bands I started listening to. First two albums were Steal This Album! and Mesmerize. That song "Fuck the System" still makes me laugh to this day.

They really should make another album.
----
My Grooveshark Profile

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]

Login or register to post here.