Metal Storm logo
System Of A Down

18.05.2006 - 13:40
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Pretty much single handedly responsible for getting me into metal altogether with their 'Toxicity' release. This is one amazing band, respected by critics and fans alike they create very original and unique music which can be appreciated on many levels as they take influence from all sorts of genres.

I've always had a bit a of a hard on for Serj's vocal style. He can be operatic and he can also bellow the house down if he wants to, one of the most distinctive vocals styles I've ever heard.

I've no doubt the "are they Nu Metal?" debate will come into play very soon, I for one don't see how they can be regarded as such, they simply have too many styles in their music to just be classified as simple nu metal.

Anyway, my personal fave album is their self titled debut, just a very chaotic release and very heavy and aggressive whilst having some crazy ass lyrics and compelling songwriting.

SUGAR!!!!!!!!
18.05.2006 - 13:44
__Az__

Hmmm... System Of A Down... id have to say I like their first self-titled album and maybe parts of Toxicity... But, from then on ive gone off them a bit..
20.05.2006 - 08:03
Icewings
La Luna
Well I must say they are an interested band , I really like the song spiders and they have wonderful music ..meaning guitar , and drums, vocals I like when they mixed Asian instruments , I love the combination is great ... I think they have a lot of potential and I hope they don't sell put like many bands ...
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
20.05.2006 - 14:19
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Apparently 'Spiders' is the band's fave song of theirs. Factoid there for you all...
21.05.2006 - 04:03
eleftheria
Account deleted
I think that SOAD in general are too simple-minded in their lyrical themes. Anyway, System of a Down and Toxicity are quite good albums musically. I don't like the new ones, so much pointless tra-la-la...
21.05.2006 - 18:36
Avenant
Profane Seraph
The first two albums were definitely the best... I quite like them, but I don't LOVE them. Of the two latest albums, I prefer Hypnotize... everyone seems to hate it, but honestly I prefer it because I think Mesmerize is horribly weak album
21.05.2006 - 18:55
__Az__

Written by Guest on 21.05.2006 at 04:03

I think that SOAD in general are too simple-minded in their lyrical themes. Anyway, System of a Down and Toxicity are quite good albums musically. I don't like the new ones, so much pointless tra-la-la...

Lol, yeh i know what u mean about all the tra-la-la... they tend to do that on much of their newer work...
31.05.2006 - 21:29
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
This band is good, the music specially, because they mix rock/metal with asian music, but about the lyrics it's true, very simple.
I don't know which is their best album, I find in everyone good music
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
02.06.2006 - 07:09
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I think Toxicity is an extremely good album... very originasl shit, awesome vocals, an eerie ambient never created before and a good concept... after that, I listened to their other stuff and didn't impress me at all, except a few songs on the self titled.
04.06.2006 - 18:36
MaritoM@nson
Account deleted
ASIAN MUSIC??? WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TRYING TO SAID WITH THAT??.. i really don't get it it.. Asian music could be anything(folk,pop,rock) well can you explain that plz
04.06.2006 - 18:44
Thryce
Retired Staff
I think what Icewings was trying to say was that System Of A Down has been influenced by a lot of music styles and uses a lot of different instruments. The following (from Wikipedia) explains it more :
"System of a Down's main influence is mostly from early alternative rock bands, as well as from heavy metal, punk rock, jazz, fusion, Armenian folk music, classic rock, blues and industrial genres. The band has used a wide range of instruments, including baritone electric guitars, electric mandolins, sitars, 12-string guitars and middle eastern ouds."
----
Your favorite band sucks.
07.06.2006 - 02:29
Horlequism
Account deleted
I just listened to Toxicity...I can't beleive what I heard really..it's so original and wow....I used to call them nu metal...they really aren't...that album has a punk feel to it at times...well, lyrically...that track at the end was cool too....where are they originally from, Venezula or something?
07.06.2006 - 02:54
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Guest on 07.06.2006 at 02:29

where are they originally from, Venezula or something?

"System of a Down is often referred to as an Armenian band, since three of its four members claim Armenian heritage - two of them, Serj and John, were born in Lebanon, and Shavo in Armenia itself."

From: http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/artists_lounge/featured_artists/system.htm
07.06.2006 - 03:42
Horlequism
Account deleted
@KryptoN: Hah, thanks for clearing that up...I really should've googled that or something but what're u gonna do...I actually had a friend tell me that they were from Venezula so I just trusted him...
08.06.2006 - 22:36
Ziom

SOAD... damn leftwingers and hippies :p
They ARE interesting, although guitarwork is too simple. Way too simple. It's improved on their new releases, but Toxicity is simply... amatourish. And the secondary vocals - this guy who also plays the guitar - should be murdered. Or at least mutilated in a way, which would prevent him from singing. He's abominable.
09.06.2006 - 01:29
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I'm getting to know this band, since I only owned Toxicity till recently. Now I'm totally hooked on Dreaming from Hypnotize! And the whole Hypnotize/Mesmerize thingie sounds very interesting to me
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
09.06.2006 - 21:22
LethargyMan

Apparently, the band is going to be on hiatus after Ozzfest, during which Daron will be fronting a new band called Scars on Broadway... so if you can't get enough of his beautiful singing on Hypnotize/Mesmerize, you'll be able to get your Daron fix by next year! Hurrah![/sarcasm]
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
09.06.2006 - 23:42
DLMokoma
Account deleted
Interesting band, that is easy to listen to. They have created really good sounding guitars and drums to their songs. I like all of their albums. Well, Mezmerize and Hypnotize have too much "aaa-aaa" thing like somebody already mentioned. And Daron should still let Serj sing more.
15.06.2006 - 23:43
arinya
Account deleted
SOAD is good for a quickie. It's heavy, catchy, you can sing along and you can take them seriously since alot of their songs have great social commentary. They talk about things that actually matter! From suicide, genocide to all out war and consumerism.
16.06.2006 - 11:56
Nightwish15
Account deleted
hmmz yes.. SOAD.. it has been a while since I listen to them..
A few years ago I got all their songs, After a good half year. I dont listened it anymore. I dont know excactly why but I disliked their music for some reason
But since a few days I listen it again.. So if you have listen intensively to their music till it come downs your troath. Then wait a year or so.. And then listen again, Then its really cool
01.07.2006 - 18:58
Remus

Written by Guest on 18.05.2006 at 13:40

Pretty much single handedly responsible for getting me into metal altogether with their 'Toxicity' release. This is one amazing band, respected by critics and fans alike they create very original and unique music which can be appreciated on many levels as they take influence from all sorts of genres.

Anyway, my personal fave album is their self titled debut, just a very chaotic release and very heavy and aggressive whilst having some crazy ass lyrics and compelling songwriting.

SUGAR!!!!!!!!

I guess you can tell i'm a fan myself! They also got me into "real" metal and are one of the few alternative bands i still listen to(the other is Disturbed). Selftitled album is by far the best and "Spiders", "Peephole" and "Mind" are their best songs ever. Too bad their new stuff is not as "different" as their old material. They still hold a special place in my music folder!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
01.07.2006 - 19:10
Carolitz
Account deleted
I haven't listened to them in a while but I loved Toxicity when it came out. I've listened to some of their newer stuff and I can't say that I've liked it. Quite an interesting band nonetheless.
04.07.2006 - 13:28
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I love their cryptic lyrics I finally got all their albums and I really like Mesmerize/Hypnotize along with Toxicity which I listened to day after day when it came out. As most of you said, their music is simply catchy, but they create amazing melodies. I really love how sometimes when the song is on its top they just hit inbetween with a slow, heartbraking melody.... and then they hit again. Gotta love Tentative for that reason
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
04.07.2006 - 19:45
nick35
Account deleted
really original band they have like a thrash guitar riff but very original vocals. i like just about every album besides hypnotize. that was good but more mellow and laid back for soad didnt really care for it
06.07.2006 - 01:27
Basso
Account deleted
System of a Down really rocks. One of my fav bands since Toxicity got me into metal. Cheers!
10.07.2006 - 13:12
Throne of Rats

Written by Guest on 21.05.2006 at 04:03

I could not agree more. I owe them alot because they got me into metal pretty much but after a while you start to get sick of their childish, politcical and just plain silly lyrics. Dont get me wrong I love their first two records but when Steal this Album came out and I bought it I listened to it once and gave it away. VERY dissapointed SOAD thought you guys wouldnt turn out like you did, its quite sad actually when all that talent went flushing down the toilet so fast.
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
10.07.2006 - 18:28
tulkas
el parcero
I think this band is really great. Specially their writing, it´s so profund but it´s also very direct and I think that´s good, not showing fear to express their thoughts behind metaphors or things like that. My fav album is also the self-titled, it has the best songs and it´s a very powerful record in everyway.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
13.07.2006 - 16:19
Bankler
Account deleted
Why are they "inactive" on metalstorm?
14.07.2006 - 02:37
Bass_Grime
Account deleted
system are one of those really clever then really stupid bands, it all depends on your mood and your life , because lets face it if you cant relate then you aint gonna like it are you.

sytem use points of oppinion to manipulate the listener

there political but completely out of reality at the same time

a true mainstream genius and rider of the music system

i love them and i think i can see them for what they are
14.07.2006 - 20:46
Gothya

well, they're not too bad at all, they have nice style and as many of you say, the vocalist is pretty good too, but even all those reasons BG posted before me, there's missing somenthing on them, i feel them just like every nu metal band or maybe their music is not my style or something like that; despite all this, i guess toxicity, sugar, aerials, and a pretty few song from them are good ones...
but as i said, there's something missing on this band
----
OUR HEART MAKES THE PLANS,BUT IT IS THE LORD WHOM DIRECTS OUR STEPS