Metal Storm logo
Your response when people insult your music taste

Original post

Posted by Zombie94, 06.02.2012 - 19:49
I often encounter people who either see me listening to metal, hear me talking about it, wearing a shirt etc. and have nothing better to say than something ignorant like "all that metal music sucks" or metal is shit etc., you can fill in the gaps.

Anyway I think this is one of the universal annoyances metalheads have to suffer at least every now and then. And I've noticed that everybody seems to have a different approach to responding. Some people get into music taste bitching battles, some call each other gay, some even claim that metal takes more talent to play than other genres. I'm at the stage where I just ignore it and let them get whatever dumb remarks they want to off their chest.

So what do you guys do when people say this to you?
10.04.2012 - 17:23
People usually do not insult my musical taste, especially when I am wielding my sword.

Seriously though, if someone questions my musical taste I will just laugh and play along. I do not take that kind of personal insults so seriously as some people in here do. I am not musically eclectic myself, so I would actually understand why someone is making remarks about what I listen or not. I also wonder why people listen to certain musical genres which I think that are a total crap. At the end of the day we all listen to what we actually like and that differs from person to person.
----
"All is worthwhile if the soul is not small" Fernando Pessoa
10.04.2012 - 18:09
arwestromen
Depending on the one who's doing the insult....but I usually turn into a 5 yo kid and start to argue against it
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
15.04.2012 - 05:01
Xytraguptor
If I encounter someone who wants to argue but politely, I will try to discuss it.
If it's just blatant insults then I will not react in the first place.

Life's too short to waste it with close-minded persons.
15.04.2012 - 13:58
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I've been thinking about my reactions, and most of the time, I just tried to get away with a simple smile while in my mind, I had already killed the Guy.
It's a hobby and an entertainment for me...it's not worth it to ruin friendships and relationships because of "different musical tastes."

You can see it among metal-heads too.
20.04.2012 - 18:37
FOOCK Nam
My response is nothing. I usually insult all other's music taste, so I now I feel used to be them insulting on mine. My golden metal time is all other type of music non metal suuuccckkksss
20.04.2012 - 20:29
Fritillaria
Account deleted
: I don't talk about music with ppl who are supposed to insult
20.04.2012 - 21:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
They are just usually surprised but I don't think I was ever insulted because I listened to certain style or band. Maybe because I am a girl and inside they just think "Oh, okay... as if that was true."

But then I start talking about my geeky stuff and that usually makes them believe me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.04.2012 - 21:14
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by BloodTears on 20.04.2012 at 21:00

They are just usually surprised but I don't think I was ever insulted because I listened to certain style or band. Maybe because I am a girl and inside they just think "Oh, okay... as if that was true."

But then I start talking about my geeky stuff and that usually makes them believe me.

Oh yeah, you always have to "prove" yourself when you're a girl. The most recent example of it that I've seen - my best friend's ex posted a picture of herself wearing a Death shirt on Facebook, and then some dude started asking her all sorts of questions about Death, their members, lyrics and stuff so she could "prove" she's a fan, and I just couldn't believe it. I mean, first, she's on the internet, she could just google it anyway so no point in asking in the first place. Second, there are many ways to be a fan of a band - maybe a person doesn't get their kicks in knowing bits of trivia or every band member's name - as if, if you're listening to 50 bands on a regular basis, you're automatically obligated to know 250 musician names and their respective positions in bands? Maybe she doesn't speak English and doesn't know the lyrics?

And why the fuck does one need to prove themselves anyway, if you believe that the person you're talking to is the type that wears band shirts just to be cool, why are you talking to the person about music in the first place?

Shit
----
7.0 means the album is good
20.04.2012 - 21:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Milena on 20.04.2012 at 21:14

Oh yeah, you always have to "prove" yourself when you're a girl. The most recent example of it that I've seen - my best friend's ex posted a picture of herself wearing a Death shirt on Facebook, and then some dude started asking her all sorts of questions about Death, their members, lyrics and stuff so she could "prove" she's a fan, and I just couldn't believe it. I mean, first, she's on the internet, she could just google it anyway so no point in asking in the first place. Second, there are many ways to be a fan of a band - maybe a person doesn't get their kicks in knowing bits of trivia or every band member's name - as if, if you're listening to 50 bands on a regular basis, you're automatically obligated to know 250 musician names and their respective positions in bands? Maybe she doesn't speak English and doesn't know the lyrics?

And why the fuck does one need to prove themselves anyway, if you believe that the person you're talking to is the type that wears band shirts just to be cool, why are you talking to the person about music in the first place?

Shit

It's really ridiculous, tbh. Unless the person already knows me, they usually assume I'm some sort of poser or that I'm bluffing. It might be my face because I look so young and they probably think I'm 16 and just going through a phase or discovering Metallica. Even so, people shouldn't assume but the truth is that they do.

Girls don't do that though because probably they have been through that before. Having said that, many people wear T-shirts just to look cool and when you ask them: "Do you know that bonus track from X album?" they obviously don't know.

You have to be geeky over those things to know, people shouldn't expect you to know certain things because maybe you might be the kind of person who simply doesn't care.
----

My Instagram
20.04.2012 - 21:44
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by BloodTears on 20.04.2012 at 21:29

It might be my face because I look so young and they probably think I'm 16 and just going through a phase or discovering Metallica.

I feel you, sis. Try to casually bring up you review albums for a large metal webzine, I thought of resorting to that once or twice but never actually did it

Anyone who knows me a little better also knows I'm "the weird one" among my friends and that I usually don't get asked to play music when we gather which is kind of ironic since I rarely listen to underground or even really weird music when I compare myself to you guys - but it's too weird for most people here my age and younger it seems.
----
20.04.2012 - 22:07
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Shit

It's really ridiculous, tbh. Unless the person already knows me, they usually assume I'm some sort of poser or that I'm bluffing. It might be my face because I look so young and they probably think I'm 16 and just going through a phase or discovering Metallica. Even so, people shouldn't assume but the truth is that they do.

Girls don't do that though because probably they have been through that before. Having said that, many people wear T-shirts just to look cool and when you ask them: "Do you know that bonus track from X album?" they obviously don't know.

You have to be geeky over those things to know, people shouldn't expect you to know certain things because maybe you might be the kind of person who simply doesn't care.

Ladies, apparently I've been in the same boat with you.
20.04.2012 - 22:33
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Guest on 20.04.2012 at 22:07

Wish we actually had a boat now.
----
20.04.2012 - 22:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 20.04.2012 at 22:33

Written by Guest on 20.04.2012 at 22:07

Wish we actually had a boat now.

*Gives birch bark canoe*
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.04.2012 - 23:01
Zombie94
Written by Vikingr on 08.04.2012 at 06:45

and it always helps to remember that women seem to be more attracted to scary, tattooed metal heads than some little shit who digs country or pop

Note to self: MUST VISIT CANADA.
21.04.2012 - 00:13
Vikingr
Written by Zombie94 on 20.04.2012 at 23:01

and it always helps to remember that women seem to be more attracted to scary, tattooed metal heads than some little shit who digs country or pop

True there isn't as much selection seeing as most people are terrified of death metal, but I find that women are intrigued by it since to those who are naive about it your seen as a corrupter xD I'm personally quite ok with being perceived as a dark, poetic individual with long hair and tattoos, and to think I used to be such a nice guy
21.04.2012 - 06:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff

Make sure you drop by during the summer, it's nice and warm.

Just kidding, we still get snow.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.04.2012 - 07:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.04.2012 at 06:05

unless you come to Thunder Bay, seriously it's the only place where you can go from -20 to plus 30 and back again in one day.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.04.2012 - 07:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by BloodTears on 20.04.2012 at 21:00

That's like you taking a stab. i don't understand why girls are so "fine" with changing the subject when other has actually insulted you for something( like take your favorite music) or they just go offtopic and prove the point like "yeah, now people gonna believe me what i'm saying" kinda shit. Why you guys just dont bash on their fucking face when something in your regime is been insulted by someone unnecessarily?

it's not you, I've seen many girls accepting that cheap smile, look somewhere else, change the topic and talk about some random crap.
21.04.2012 - 13:08
Zombie94
Written by Vikingr on 21.04.2012 at 00:13

True there isn't as much selection seeing as most people are terrified of death metal, but I find that women are intrigued by it since to those who are naive about it your seen as a corrupter xD I'm personally quite ok with being perceived as a dark, poetic individual with long hair and tattoos, and to think I used to be such a nice guy

Well in Ireland if you're a metalhead with long hair and tattoos women tend to be quite scared of you..except for the occasional goth girl I guess. However I don't look like a typical metal head (except if I'm wearing a band t-shirt) so unless I end up getting into a conversation with girls about music, being a metal head doesn't tend to get in the way.
21.04.2012 - 13:09
Zombie94
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.04.2012 at 06:05

Snow in summer? Sounds kvlt as fuck
21.04.2012 - 13:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.04.2012 at 07:16

That's like you taking a stab. i don't understand why girls are so "fine" with changing the subject when other has actually insulted you for something( like take your favorite music) or they just go offtopic and prove the point like "yeah, now people gonna believe me what i'm saying" kinda shit. Why you guys just dont bash on their fucking face when something in your regime is been insulted by someone unnecessarily?

it's not you, I've seen many girls accepting that cheap smile, look somewhere else, change the topic and talk about some random crap.

Oh, I don't change the subject but I see why some people do that. What I meant with my geek talk is when I start talking about my bands, then people know I'm serious.

Also, when people start assuming a lot of things about me, my attention focuses elsewhere.
----

My Instagram
21.04.2012 - 14:21
SSM
Massacred
A decent smile.
22.04.2012 - 06:46
selken
Irreligious
As a general rule, people with this ideology doesn't have the musical intelligence to understand an argument that defends metal...
I'm not saying people with musical intelligence will listen to metal... there are dumb people that listen it
People like this are either:
- people who plays songs in their radio for the sake of not having silence: meaningless listeners
- people who are closed minded and associate metal with evil and stuff: stigmatizers
- very old, grown up or highly orthodox people who doesn't like intense music: boring people

Anyway, I play them some dark funeral or cannibal corpse shit to freak them out xD
----
22.04.2012 - 07:19
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I insult their family, their heritage, fallow them home, and kill them.... To each his own. Question them further, all you need to prove is their ignorance to yourself, they will figure it out eventually, hopefully.
----
Coldgrits
22.04.2012 - 18:09
Thrashette
The people who insult my music taste are one of the following: people who are completely ignorant about metal music and probably about music in general, or hardcore metal elitists who find the need to insult everyone's taste in music even fellow metalheads. In either case, I don't find it worthwhile to do much and usually ignore them. The first case is probably too stupid to argue coherantly or hasn't even heard real metal before, and the second probably just wants to feel better about themselves by bullying others. Arguing about music is something I've already done often enough that it's just gotten old. Now if someone says something like, "I don't like metal because...." and gives me a legitimate reason or admits that they haven't heard much of the genre, then I might try to find them some metal bands that they'll like. It may not turn them into metalheads, but it at least gives them some respect for metal and the people who listen to it.
23.04.2012 - 04:39
Hylia
I guess I dont really try and argue much because anyone who just flat out says metal sucks is a tool anyways, im not going to try and convince someone like that. As much as I HATE rap and other music I dont go up to people and just be like rap sucks!
01.05.2012 - 09:40
Igeldude
Back in high school a classmate, who was obviously into rap, asked why I listened to metal, stating metalheads worship Satan and evil or whatever. Upon denying his claim I got a confused look of disbelief from him. I then told him, "doesn't rap just talk about shooting people and having sex with everyone?" He just shook his head and walked away.
02.05.2012 - 01:43
MetalFan2012
Last December 24,2011! I started listen to Metal Music. Now 5 Months Later , Metal is my Favorite Music! I love Metal Music! My Friend at Northwest High School tell me to listen to Metal Music. I also like Rap Music too. Rap Music also got me into Metal Too. My Favorite Band is Slipknot and Asking Alexander. I'm going to listen to Metal Music Everyday. I live in Ohio. I'm 17 Years Old and I'm a Senior at Northwest High School. I also like to Head Bang When I Listen To Metal. My Name is Cameron Lute! Listening to Extreme Death Metal Right Now.
02.05.2012 - 06:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
^ SO HARDCORE.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.05.2012 - 06:04
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bitchy Angel on 08.02.2012 at 10:37

Written by Angelic Storm on 08.02.2012 at 10:10

Written by Guest on 08.02.2012 at 06:35

Why dont you answer : What"screaming shit" are you talking about ? Whitney Houston ?

Now I've got an image in my head of someone Nergal-esque screaming "AND IHHHIHHHHHHHHHHH WILL ALLWAAAYS LOOOVE YOOOOUUU!"
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"