Metal Storm logo
Your response when people insult your music taste

Original post

Posted by Zombie94, 06.02.2012 - 19:49
I often encounter people who either see me listening to metal, hear me talking about it, wearing a shirt etc. and have nothing better to say than something ignorant like "all that metal music sucks" or metal is shit etc., you can fill in the gaps.

Anyway I think this is one of the universal annoyances metalheads have to suffer at least every now and then. And I've noticed that everybody seems to have a different approach to responding. Some people get into music taste bitching battles, some call each other gay, some even claim that metal takes more talent to play than other genres. I'm at the stage where I just ignore it and let them get whatever dumb remarks they want to off their chest.

So what do you guys do when people say this to you?
08.05.2012 - 00:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
My response:

dude, ur shirt sucks and you're ugly... nice to meet you too
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.05.2012 - 16:16
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
When someone deliberately insults my music taste my response is: ooohhh look! there goes the fuck i gave!
08.05.2012 - 22:05
Darkfiber
Vomit blood in their face. I guarantee they will never bother you again.
08.05.2012 - 22:55
^^^lool
08.05.2012 - 23:30
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Darkfiber on 08.05.2012 at 22:05

Vomit blood in their face. I guarantee they will never bother you again.

Best answer I've heard yet.
09.05.2012 - 06:44
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
The only people who insult my music taste are my friends, and I don't really care. Most of them like Nickelback, so I just insult them back for that.
09.05.2012 - 08:28
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Bloody Rain on 09.05.2012 at 06:44

The only people who insult my music taste are my friends, and I don't really care. Most of them like Nickelback, so I just insult them back for that.

If they don't know about these facts, they aren't a true Nickelback fan.

They are not meant to be funny..okay? it's a true facts. Accept or just ignore it.
09.05.2012 - 10:15
Bones222
Man... if I had a dollar for everytime someone has said "I think the music is ok, but I just dont understand the vocals, how can you listen to someone shouting like that?" or "Yeah I used to listen to metal, but that was when I was younger and I have mellowed " WTF?

Once a fan always a fan if your true to the cause, metal isn't something you just grow out of, it's not about posing or keeping up with the latest trend, it isn't a faze man... it's life!
09.05.2012 - 10:27
Zombie94
Written by Bones222 on 09.05.2012 at 10:15

Man... if I had a dollar for everytime someone has said "I think the music is ok, but I just dont understand the vocals, how can you listen to someone shouting like that?" or "Yeah I used to listen to metal, but that was when I was younger and I have mellowed " WTF?

Once a fan always a fan if your true to the cause, metal isn't something you just grow out of, it's not about posing or keeping up with the latest trend, it isn't a faze man... it's life!

Well evidently it is a phase for some teenagers, much like the whole emo thing. I guess it's just young kids who are frustrated, or are trying to stand out from the crowd or just fit into a scene. Those sort of people feel the need to let everyone know they're different and tend to not be in it for the love of metal.
09.05.2012 - 17:57
roguestar5
I usually don't pay any attention to what people say. Oh there is the usual ''satanist'' or '' your music is shit'' but I don't care about opinions of people who listen to Lil' Wayne or techno. People like that just aren't worth the effort.
09.05.2012 - 18:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by roguestar5 on 09.05.2012 at 17:57
I don't care about opinions of people who listen to Lil' Wayne or techno. People like that just aren't worth the effort.

People who listen to different music than you don't have valid opinions?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.05.2012 - 20:08
roguestar5
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.05.2012 at 18:10

I don't care about opinions of people who listen to Lil' Wayne or techno. People like that just aren't worth the effort.

I didn't say that they don't have a valid opinion, I said that I don't care about it. Maybe I expressed myself wrong. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, I only meant that some people are close-minded. If they insult my music why should I care about them? I only used those examples because that's what the people who insult my music usually listen to.
09.05.2012 - 20:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by roguestar5 on 09.05.2012 at 20:08
I didn't say that they don't have a valid opinion, I said that I don't care about it. Maybe I expressed myself wrong. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, I only meant that some people are close-minded. If they insult my music why should I care about them? I only used those examples because that's what the people who insult my music usually listen to.

Ah, that makes more sense (and is much less hypocritical/elitist than how I interpreted your first comment). Carry on!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.05.2012 - 20:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha

I only meant that some people are close-minded. If they insult my music why should I care about them? I only used those examples because that's what the people who insult my music usually listen to.

What if it says " don't care about opinions of people who listen to Motorhead, Manowar, AC/DC or Slayer. People like that are just don't worth of what music is?"
It's my opinion? ....yes. Like everyone has. It's very easy to say they are close minded but difficult to prove it.

If people do insult our music taste, they are ample of pretty good redemption to backfire it. That one bro was just like "spit on some and gets backfired".
09.05.2012 - 20:42
roguestar5
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.05.2012 at 20:33

I only meant that some people are close-minded. If they insult my music why should I care about them? I only used those examples because that's what the people who insult my music usually listen to.

What if it says " don't care about opinions of people who listen to Motorhead, Manowar, AC/DC or Slayer. People like that are just don't worth of what music is?"
It's my opinion? ....yes. Like everyone has. It's very easy to say they are close minded but difficult to prove it.

If people do insult our music taste, they are ample of pretty good redemption to backfire it. That one bro was just like "spit on some and gets backfired".

By saying they aren't worth the effort I meant that they aren't worth responding to. When I do try to explain to some people, they usually just roll their eyes and go on about how their music is so much better. Those same people didn't listen to a metal song in their entire life. I don't go telling people their music sucks if I never listened to it. I'm sorry if my post created some confusion.
10.05.2012 - 02:45
Zealot644
I think the people who say metal sucks simply havent found the right style or appreciation of it.

Honestly, it's better to just tell them "Whatever" and let it go. Pointless argument in the end.
16.05.2012 - 16:39
The_Warcult
Well, usually only high school deathcore/metalcore kids talk shit about me listening to black/death/thrash. I pay these kids no mind. They listen to Enter Shikari, Chelsea Grin, and Emmure. Fucking jokes.
16.05.2012 - 17:25
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
It depends, I suppose. When someone insults a band he/she knows nothing about, I take them on and reveal their ignorance to my amusement. When someone simply states that my favorite music sounds like crap, I let it go. What could I possibly say in response to such inadequate "criticism".
19.05.2012 - 16:29
MetalSpider
When people insult my music taste...I usually begin with a swift kick to the head that usually knocks the person out. I than proceed to lay a bigger beating on their unconscious body. Then I break all their fingers and kneecaps. I then cut an openining in their belly and drink their fluids. And finally I skull fuck them while their body burns.

I've only done it twice...the second time was to simply prove a point.

Seriously though....no one really bothers me about metal music because no one thinks or knows that I listen to it. And I don't really make it known to people. I don't dress like a metal head so that's part of it.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
19.05.2012 - 17:08
Thrashette
Written by MetalSpider on 19.05.2012 at 16:29

I don't dress like a metal head so that's part of it.

Most people I encounter aren't going to insult someone wearing combat boots and a "scary" band shirt. They're quite intimidated by the stereotypical metalheads. Even if they stare, all you have to do is stare back and they'll look down and keep walking... I guess it's different if someone's your friend or knows you well enough to insult you, but at that point they probably accept your taste in music and won't insult it unless it's for jokes. My friends who insulted my music taste either grew the fuck up, or they know it's an argument that they won't win and listening to me rant about how much their taste in music sucks for 30+ minutes is the last thing they want to spend their precious time on...
19.05.2012 - 17:17
BlueMobius
Account deleted
If people insult the music I enjoy, I generally brush it off, turn the other cheek, ... whatever you want to call it. It doesn't really bother me because I know that those people are just into radio garbage anyway.
19.05.2012 - 18:48
MetalSpider
Written by Thrashette on 19.05.2012 at 17:08

Written by MetalSpider on 19.05.2012 at 16:29

I don't dress like a metal head so that's part of it.

Most people I encounter aren't going to insult someone wearing combat boots and a "scary" band shirt. They're quite intimidated by the stereotypical metalheads. Even if they stare, all you have to do is stare back and they'll look down and keep walking... I guess it's different if someone's your friend or knows you well enough to insult you, but at that point they probably accept your taste in music and won't insult it unless it's for jokes. My friends who insulted my music taste either grew the fuck up, or they know it's an argument that they won't win and listening to me rant about how much their taste in music sucks for 30+ minutes is the last thing they want to spend their precious time on...

I guess it depends on the type of people. I have seen people who look at the stereotypical metalhead (with the clothes and all) and they not only make fun of them but they also make fun of "the screaming shit" that they listen to (followed by faking growling imitations). My friends never really made fun or make of the music I listen to because we generally don't talk about it much.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
19.05.2012 - 19:18
Thrashette
Written by MetalSpider on 19.05.2012 at 18:48

I guess it depends on the type of people. I have seen people who look at the stereotypical metalhead (with the clothes and all) and they not only make fun of them but they also make fun of "the screaming shit" that they listen to (followed by faking growling imitations). My friends never really made fun or make of the music I listen to because we generally don't talk about it much.

Ah true, and it depends which metal stereotype the person represents lol And I think strength in numbers also plays an important part. No one's going to insult a group of metalheads (unless they have at least as many people with them) but if it's one or just a few metalheads surrounded by people who listen to other shit, it will happen.
20.05.2012 - 02:29
Grey Wind
Personally I try to talk only with open minded people. If I know someone is not open minded or that he dislikes metal, I usually won't bring up the subject.
If an argument does happen, I might explain why I connect to the music, but I won't try to convince people that they are wrong. Its their loss, not mine.

Frankly I don't remember being insulted this way since highschool where insulting is practically a hobby .
----
wimps and posers leave the hall lol
11.03.2013 - 16:58
Skøllgrim
Northern
This is not so typical where I live now, but was very typical where I used to live, back there I used to tell people I couldn't care less, and polite as always I'd tell them to go fuck themselves.
I have no problem with people having different music tastes, but when they step over that line and start bothering people...
14.03.2013 - 20:57
Jpageforever
I'm twelve, so my friends can be immature pricks about my taste because I'm the only metalhead in my group of friends. I usually have them listen closely to their own music. I point out Lil' Wayne (ugh), Justin Bieber (ugh), etc. and that usually shuts them up for awhile.
15.03.2013 - 15:02
Jtbmetal123
Honestly, where I live it gets insulted everyday. You cant under stand the vocals, or thats evil or some other crap. You just have to not give a dam and just believe in what you believe because we all know metal is the best. Or I just turned the music up louder.
18.03.2013 - 04:07
nasmith
Written by MetalFan2012 on 02.05.2012 at 01:43

Last December 24,2011! I started listen to Metal Music. Now 5 Months Later , Metal is my Favorite Music! I love Metal Music! My Friend at Northwest High School tell me to listen to Metal Music. I also like Rap Music too. Rap Music also got me into Metal Too. My Favorite Band is Slipknot and Asking Alexander. I'm going to listen to Metal Music Everyday. I live in Ohio. I'm 17 Years Old and I'm a Senior at Northwest High School. I also like to Head Bang When I Listen To Metal. My Name is Cameron Lute! Listening to Extreme Death Metal Right Now.

Extreme death metal? Death metal IS extreme.

And before I even got there, obvious troll is obvious.
19.03.2013 - 15:09
helofloki
I honestly usually describe the metal I listen to as fairly heinous to most people. Sometimes it works like reverse psychology and gets them interested. I use the disclaimer 'you probably wouldn't like it' and you know how people love challenges.

Sometimes I throw jibes if people mock. But it really doesn't bother me all that much. Metal's not for everyone.
21.03.2013 - 06:22
Well, what I do is if someone insults my music tastes and is male, I just simply fire a crossbow into their ballsack. It tends to loosen things up and gets a friendly rapport going.