Metal Storm logo
Cynic

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 18.05.2006 - 13:47
Their only album 'Focus' blew me away... They are such an original band and are so technical... IMO, the album is a masterpiece and its such a shame that they didnt release another...

Im surprised a topic hasnt been created about them yet, So... what does everyone else think?
21.07.2006 - 22:45
ylside

Written by Konrad on 21.07.2006 at 16:32

Which album or albums did Death do with Cynic, does anyone know?

On Death's Human, check here for more details --> http://www.cynicalsphere.com/discography.html
21.07.2006 - 22:45
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Konrad on 21.07.2006 at 16:32

Which album or albums did Death do with Cynic, does anyone know?

I know at least that Paul Masvidal and Sein Reinert played on the awesome 'Human'.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.08.2006 - 18:20
Markku
Account deleted
Check recent this interview with Paul Masvidal. The last lines are worth gold

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=56200
13.08.2006 - 23:03
Endoftherainbow

Holy shit if Cynic actually gets back together that would be the happiest day of my life there's nothing I want more then another album from them or to see them live. They are such a great band it's a shame they don't get anywhere near the amount of credit they deserve.
13.08.2006 - 23:14
abraxas
Account deleted
Written by Endoftherainbow on 13.08.2006 at 23:03

Holy shit if Cynic actually gets back together that would be the happiest day of my life there's nothing I want more then another album from them or to see them live. They are such a great band it's a shame they don't get anywhere near the amount of credit they deserve.

yeah, same here. at least we have gordian knot and aghora, though
14.08.2006 - 17:46
Valar
IndianSteel
Magical is how one should describe "Focus". I know crap about technicality and stuff all i can about is the musical prespective and this album is one of the best.
Veil Of Maya and Textures are the standout tracks IMO.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
18.08.2006 - 08:07
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Guest on 13.08.2006 at 23:14

Written by Endoftherainbow on 13.08.2006 at 23:03

yeah, same here. at least we have gordian knot and aghora, though

mmm....yes but it's not the same, they are very different...
i would actually love another cynic album, if it does go out i expect it to be as good as focus...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
18.08.2006 - 13:26
abraxas
Account deleted
yeah, i know they're different (although there are definitely some similarities with aghora), i'm just glad that the ex-members of cynic haven't stopped playing music entirely.

if a new album ever does materialize, then i'm almost certain some people will hate it at first, as it's pretty much impossible for a band in this position to top a record like "focus", especially after such a long hiatus. but we'll have to wait and see...
18.08.2006 - 13:59
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.08.2006 at 13:26

if a new album ever does materialize, then i'm almost certain some people will hate it at first, as it's pretty much impossible for a band in this position to top a record like "focus", especially after such a long hiatus. but we'll have to wait and see...

That's the reason why Atheist won't think of making a new record, Kelly has sayed many times it's not worth messing the legacy of such a band.
19.08.2006 - 00:34
ylside

Anyway the band members took a whole different direction from their early Death Metal. Like Abraxas said, we have (the completely AWESOME) Gordian Knot. I totally love their selft titled but Emergent fails a little bit :-/

Oh yeah, eventhough I think I already said it before, Cynic fans, PLEASE check Wayd. You may find in it what you thought was missing in Cynic's sound.
19.08.2006 - 12:03
Markku
Account deleted
I listened to a clip of Wayd, but it had this modern metal metal sound(I really have to deal with that issue ) . I should give 'em another chance, they used a saxophone, right?
19.08.2006 - 13:02
ylside

They sure have a modern sound, but sometimes it just get more powerful than Cynic by times (I'm not saying they are better) oh and yeah there's some cool Saxophone lines here and there !
19.08.2006 - 21:43
tattootildeath
Account deleted
it is so refreshing to see so many people relish in the music created by cynic! i live in a big city, and i don't know really anyone who has ever heard of them, let alone heard them. urorbic forms is the most ripping song ever!!!!!! musicianship par excellence!
27.08.2006 - 01:13
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Hell...what a perfect band.Combining Death metal, Jazz/fusion and Electronica into one style is almost incredible...Fortunately, i've read that Cynic and Atheist members will reunite to record their upcoming album.No doubt, it will be a perfect masterpiece.
27.08.2006 - 08:25
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Yeah they were great , and we have Focus and few EP's ... its a gift !!

Period.
28.08.2006 - 13:25
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
I heard Cynic a while ago and all I can say is that it was certainly some of the most experimental metal I've ever heard... However, a majority of the material was good.
17.10.2006 - 14:16
Markku
Account deleted
Strange that this thread is so quiet, as there is going to be a reunion tour and possibly some old cynic material re-released and maybe even some new stuff. So everyone let's hear your thoughts and hopes.
27.11.2006 - 23:46
Markku
Account deleted
Cynic will be performing in Maryland Death Fest.
28.11.2006 - 01:32
ylside

Written by Guest on 27.11.2006 at 23:46

Lovely...although I won't be like going there or something so I'm not that enthusiast.

Do you happen to know if Cynic actually recorded their cover of The Meeting of the Spirits by the Mahavishnu Orchestra (I love that band...!!! and Cynic covered their best song imo) I can't seem to get my hand over it, that's why I think they didn't recorded it, any hints ?
28.11.2006 - 01:43
Markku
Account deleted
I don't know about that, but You can check the official cynic forum http://cynicalsphere.proboards26.com/
28.11.2006 - 03:15
Stigmatized
Written by Guest on 27.11.2006 at 23:46

Is this the only show they're doing?
28.11.2006 - 05:02
Markku
Account deleted
It is VERY likely there will be more shows, nothing confirmed so far.
15.01.2007 - 08:52
drum fiend
Account deleted
I got the album focus a couple weeks ago and cynic is such an amazing band. they were so unique and original.
23.01.2007 - 05:29
DeadHands
Account deleted
I learned about Cynic through Deron Miller of Cky and I recently picked up Focus. I think Textures is one of the best songs I've ever heard. It's such a good mix of heavy and technicality and time change and everything about it just rules.
23.01.2007 - 19:23
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ you missed 'Veil Of Maya' ??
15.02.2007 - 15:45
Etn_KlrJ
Account deleted
Cynic is such an amazing band
16.02.2007 - 21:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Markku: They're back together and touring? I just checked their website and there is no information yet...do you think that they'll come to Canada?
17.02.2007 - 02:14
Markku
Account deleted
@Kapn'N

Yes. it seems so, but nothing is for sure until it happens(it seems to bea rule that talented bands always run out of luck).
And yes, the homepage doesn't have any information yet but they are listed in 2007 Maryland Deathfest lineup. I have no idea if they will visit Canada, I've only heard of possible European gigs.
17.02.2007 - 02:37
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well...if they play in the states hear where I live, there is a good chance that I will see them live...
01.03.2007 - 22:58
Markku
Account deleted
A recent interview with Paul Masvidal, conatain some pretty juicy information for Cynic and Portal fans

http://www.vampire-magazine.com/article.php?aid=39440