Metal Storm logo
A Year In Metal - 2011 Highlights Through The Eyes Of The MS Staff & Elite

Written by: Doc G.
Published: 10.02.2012

So that's another year come and gone, folks. A lot of laughs and a lot of tears - combine the number of each of those, double it, and you've got the accumulated hours of time we all should have spent working/studying, but instead chose to argue about metal with folks from around the world.

While you're probably re-checking your votes in the awards, and making the final adjustments on your "best of" lists, we figured we'd offer our individual 2 cents on what we on the Metal Storm team thought of 2011.

Enjoy, have fun voting in the awards, grab a cocktail weenie, and keep your eyes open for the Metal Storm Awards Staff Picks & Band feedback!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staff
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baz Anderson

Favorite Album: Benighted - Asylum Cave - brutal death metal at its finest.
Best Home-Country Album: Power Quest - Blood Alliance - British guys showing we can do power metal too.
Most-Played Song: "I Can See You" by Uriah Heep - great song from the band's 23rd album.
Most Promising Band: The reactivated Hell.
Biggest Disappointment: Macabre - Grim Scary Tales - first album for eight years, good but underwhelming.
Best Concert: Rhapsody's last show as one band at Bloodstock.
Metal Moment Of 2011: Judas Priest's Epitaph tour.
And 2012? The forthcoming Black Sabbath album and reunion shows, and new Judas Priest album.

BitterCOld

Favorite Album: 40 Watt Sun - Inside Room
Best Home-Country Album: toss up. Sleestak - Fall Of Altrusia or A Storm Of Light - As The Valley Of Death Becomes Us, Our Silver Memories Fade
Most-Played Song: 40 Watt Sun - "Carry Me Home"
Most Promising Band: Rising
Biggest Disappointment: No, not the slew of terribad albums released, but the crushing wall of sound that is Minsk going on indefinite hiatus. Oh well. At least we have A Storm Of Light to provide absurdly long album titles.
Metal Moment Of 2011: probably happened while i was passed out.
And 2012? FROST HAMMER!!! ? errr High On Fire back in the studio for a new album. And Ahab, Profetus, Ortega and Sleestak as well. Finally, maybe running in to MS staffers while desecrating the Old Continent.

BloodTears

Favorite Album: Grayceon - All We Destroy
Best Home-Country Album: Ava Inferi - Onyx
Most-Played Song: "1979" - Pain Of Salvation; "We Can" - Grayceon; "Adrift In The Ocean" - Yob
Most Promising Band: Milk White Throat and Continuo Renacer
Biggest Disappointment: Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions (it was chaos alright); the premature end of Nevermore and Pure Reason Revolution.
Best Concert: Opeth + Pain Of Salvation (Incrível Almadense) and Riverside (Santiago Alquimista)
Metal Moment Of 2011: Being made News Chief on MS, it was probably because my hair is ass length (so now you know what you gotta do, folks!)
And 2012? New albums from Riverside, Into Eternity, OSI, In Mourning and Porcupine Tree; seeing more bands live for the first time.

Daniell

Favorite Album: Symphony X Iconoclast. I'd never expect them to release such a huge slab of genius. The album is less progressive than their older releases, and definitely more thrashy, so theoretically I should be disappointed. But all the songs are so damn good, that it's hard to resist the excellence of Iconoclast.
Best Home-Country Album: Vader's Welcome to the Morbid Reich. Those guys are back in top form.
Most-Played Song: Opeth "Godhead's Lament". While preparing for the arrival of what was to be a gigantic letdown, Heritage, I decided to refresh my love for Opeth. I ended up listening to most of their albums many many many times, with Still Life, and consequently "Godhead's Lament" getting the most listens.
Most Promising Band: The same as a year before - Byfrost. I'm amazed that they haven't become more recognized with two such good releases as Of Death and Black Earth
Biggest Disappointment: Opeth Heritage. Opeth always made their songs of multiple contrasting parts, but this time those parts don't fit together. I think it's the biggest disappointment of the last 10 years for me.
Best Concert: nothing really stands out but then, I'm not a gig buff, so I don't attend too many.
Metal Moment Of 2011: Meeting Behemoth's Nergal in a lift and chatting with him for a few minutes. Definitely one of the most intelligent metal musicians.
And 2012? Hoping for new great albums for some of my favourites: Enslaved, Ahab, Skepticism, Drudkh.

Darkside Momo

Favorite Album: Lazuli - (4603 Battements), Thy Catafalque - Rengeteg
Best Home-Country Album: Lazuli - (4603 Battements), of course; honorable mentions for both Blut Aus Nord - 777 albums, Smohalla - Resilience and N.K.V.D. - Vlast.
Most-Played Song: seems it's Septicflesh - Mad Architect, followed by Lazuli - Les Malveillants. But it's easier for earlier releases, so let's add Thy Catafalque - Trilobita and Terra Tenebrosa - The Mourning Stars
Most Promising Band: Terra Tenebrosa!
Best Concert: Hellfest, of course! Particularly saturday, with four awesome shows in a row (Septicflesh, Kreator, Bolt Thrower, and Coroner); I needed about six weeks to be back on earth after that. Another noteworthy show was the great Myrath / Arkan / Orphaned Land show in Limoges.
Biggest Disappointment: Nevermore's split.
Metal Moment Of 2011: see Hellfest, above.
And 2012? The end of the world. At last.

KwonVerge

Favorite Album: Primordial - Redemption At The Puritan's Hand
Best Home-Country Album: Aenaon - Cendres Et Sang & Acherontas - Vamachara
Most Played Song: Too many to recall and/or mention.
Most Promising Band: Black metal holds all of my hopes.
Biggest Disappointment: My Dying Bride - Evinta & Draconian - A Rose For The Apocalypse
Metal Moment Of 2011: Listening to metal.
And 2012? More black metal please!

Jason W.

Favorite Album: To Cast A Shadow - In Memory Of
Best Home-Country Album: Wooden Stake - Dungeon Prayers & Tombyard Serenades
Most-Played Song: Ravenscry - "Nobody" & To Cast A Shadow - "Set Afire"
Most Promising Band: Crysalys
Best Concert: Metal Female Voices IX, where Battlelore just surprised me with such an emotional performance, and Triosphere for living up to all my expections after being my top 2010 studio release. Seeing Within Temptation for the first time, and performing all the brilliant songs from their newest album was a true thrill, as was the mind-crushing experience of Faces Of Bayon's album release gig.
Biggest Disappointment: Nemesea - The Quiet Resistance. I had such high hopes after the band was signed to Napalm, but this album just left me confused...
And 2012? Returning to Europe for the 5th year in a row, hoping to check out Dutch Doom Days and/or Metal Female Voices again, and something new altogether in North America such as female vocalist gigs such as Dame-Nation.

Doc G.

Favorite Album: Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
Best Home-Country Album: Sacred Ally - Reality Hammer
Most-Played Song: Trap Them - "Manic In The Grips"
Most Promising Band: Smohalla or The Fallen Divine. Both too awesome to choose one over the other.
Best Concert: Cancer Bats & 3 Inches Of Blood w/ Barn Burner & Waster
Biggest Disappointment: Turisas. Facile melodies & repetitive song structure with no sense of build-up or climax (like their old albums had). Dis-honourable mentions go to Protest The Hero - from going to dynamic & versatile (Fortress) to flat & forgettable (Scurrilous) and Amorphis - their latest has some cool parts, just very shoddily put together as a whole, being totally anticlimactic. Still, both bands show signs they're still alive and probably just had an off album, or one I didn't personally enjoy. Turisas on the other hand I think is done for.
Metal Moment Of 2011: Becoming Editor In Chief, then promptly burning this shithouse to the ground.
And 2012? New High On Fire? New 3 Inches Of Blood? New Cancer Bats? Bring on 2012! If it's half as ass-packed with ridiculously awesome releases as 2011, then it's going to be another great year.

GT

Favorite Album: Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Best Home-Country Album: Artillery - My Blood
Biggest Disappointment: Not seeing more shows
Best Concert: Probably the Rhapsody Of Fire concert at W:O:A
Metal Moment Of 2011: Nothing really.
And 2012? Hopefully more shows. At least I already have tickets for two...big improvement!

Ivor

Favorite Album: Personally, this year has seen a lot of good stuff, from new and old bands, either known or unknown to me. There's much to choose from but the following have been playing for a good amount of time: 1) Anubis Gate - Anubis Gate; 2) Arena - The Seventh Degree Of Separation; 3) Pendragon - Passion
Best Home-Country Album: The first of these is the real surprise. 1) X-Panda - Flight Of Fancy; 2) Kosmikud - Öö Ei Lase Magada
Most Promising Band: Fluxious, Digamma
Biggest Disappointment: Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events, Pure Reason Revolution splitting up.
Best Concert: The whole adventure to see final shows of Pure Reason Revolution. But it was important to be able to see Arena @ Leamington Spa was awesome, and Pure Reason Revolution @ Norwich & London.
Metal Moment Of 2011: 1) Hide & peek aka shooting photos of Ozzy at Hellfest and him spraying everybody from foam gun. Tons of fun that one, easily one of the best experiences of shooting a gig. Pity the the rest of Ozzy's performance was sub-par. 2) Seeing Pure Reason Revolution live.
And 2012? Hopefully some good gigs come this way, or I'll have to go out my way to seek them out myself (as is sadly the case).

jupitreas

Favorite Album: Uneven Structure - Februus
Best Home-Country Album: Decapitated - Carnival Is Forever
Most-Played Song: "Eden" by TesseracT (source: last.fm)
Most Promising Band: Vildhjarta
Biggest Disappointment: Ministry reuniting. I wouldn't be surprised if Al dies during the upcoming tour.
Best Concert: I have only gone to concerts of local bands this year and sadly, nothing really made that much of an impression on me.
Metal Moment Of 2011: What a stupid question
And 2012? Here comes the singularity

Susan

Favorite Album: Silent Stream Of Godless Elegy - Návaz. Tender Moravian folk/doom which sounds nothing like either of those genres alone. They are greater than the sum of their parts and this is their magnum opus.
Best Home-Country Album: Fair To Midland - Arrows and Anchors. A ridiculously close 2nd for the above category, this Texas prog band is clever, beautiful, obnoxiously talented, and their album left me nearly speechless.
Most-Played Song: Everything from the above two albums.
Most Promising Band: Groovy, funky, alt-jazz-metal Fluxious, symphonic black metallers Saille, or The Rain I Bleed who gave us a new and interesting take on symphonic metal.
Biggest Disappointment: Benedictum and Týr. Dudes... wtf?
Metal Moment Of 2011: Running the Clandestine Cuts feature and hearing such promising new blood in this scene.
And 2012? Getting to more shows, maybe even a festival.

Marcel Hubregtse

Favorite Album: Disma - Towards the Megalith
Best Home-Country Album: The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre
Most-Played Song: I don't have a most played song. I play releases not songs.
Most Promising Band: 40 Watt Sun
Biggest Disappointment: The biggest disappointment was also Candlemass at Roadburn but now the part with Rob Lowe on vocals. What a disgrace that was, utterly disgraceful that the man had to read the lyrics off a piece of paper.
Best Concert:Highlights concert wise were 40 Watt Sun at Dordrecht Doom Day, Winter at Roadburn, all Officium Triste gigs due to their power of expression and consolation their music offered me this year. And also the Epicus Doomicus Metallicus part with Johan Längquist doing the vocals of the Candlemass gig at Roadburn, so beautiful it gave me goosebumps on my arms and made my eyes water spontaneously.
Metal Moment Of 2011: All the support I got during the hard times of the first of half of 2011 from friends and bands.
And 2012? I am once again immensely looking forward to Roadburn, Dordrecht Doom Day, Dutch Doom Days and Hellfest.

Promonex

Favorite Album: TesseracT - One. SubRosa - No Help for the Mighty Ones and Septicflesh - The Great Mass come in a close second.
Best Home-Country Album: Dark Suns - Orange. Like Opeth's attempt at vintage prog rock, but done right.
Most-Played Song: Todtgelichter - Neon. My "most promising band" in 2010 and the most played song in 2011.
Most Promising Band: Falloch and Neurotech have both released rather appealing debut albums.
Best Concert: Primordial at midnight as very last band on the open air stages of Summer Breeze Festival. It was destined to be awesome.
Biggest Disappointment: Falling in love with Blood Stain Child's εpsilon. There goes my metal credibility.
Metal Moment Of 2011: Kyuss Lives! at Wacken was pretty rad.
And 2012? CAN I SCREAM?! Yessir, Refused are fucking back! So are The Afghan Whigs. Let's see what comes out of this.

Raiden

Favorite Album: Primordial - Redemption At The Puritan's Hand
Best Home-Country Album: Assaulter - Boundless (this band keeps delivering solid Black/Thrash releases time and time again and after such an amazing previous album they've kept it up here)
Most-Played Song: Mortal Sin - "Doomed To Annihilation" and Metsatöll - "Küü" (the first was a great song on an album that proves the band are back in business for good, the second is an instantly catchy Progressive sounding Folk song from a surprisingly good album)
Most Promising Band: I didn't hear a huge amount of new bands in 2011 but I did enjoy the debuts of Demolition and 40 Watt Sun.
Biggest Disappointment: There were a few albums that weren't as good as I was hoping but most of the worst albums I didn't have much hopes for anyway!
Best Concert: Soundwave Festival. More or less my first concert of such proportions (it was very very large!) Seeing Iron Maiden, Slayer and Queens Of The Stone Age (among others) was awesome.
Metal Moment Of 2011: Attending an open air festival...also drinking coffee at my home town's new metal store.
And 2012? Looking forward to hearing some more good albums and hopefully going to some more shows than last year. Plus hopefully seeing Iced Earth live.

Troy Killjoy

Favourite Album: Woods Of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
Best Home-Country Album: Forteresse - Crépuscule d'octobre
Most-Played Song: Before The Rain - "A Glimpse Towards the Sun"
Most Promising Band: Deafheaven
Biggest Disappointment: Morbid Angel, and another year gone by plagued by the death of several musicians
Metal Moment Of 2011: Getting a sex change, running a country, taking over the database - too many good things to choose from
And 2012? Hopefully moving across the country again, leaving the online world behind.

White Winter Sun

Favorite Album: Esoteric - Paragon Of Dissonance
Best Home-Country Album: I cannot choose only one, Benighted - Asylum Cave and Glorior Belli - The Great Southern Darkness
Most-Played Song: Without any doubt, "Rising" from Septicflesh
Most Promising Band: 40 Watt Sun
Biggest Disappointment: Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus
Best Concert: Too many attended good shows this year, so I cannot choose only one. Most of my best concerts this year have occured at Hellfest Open Air 2011: Valient Thorr (first time that I saw them on stage and I took a huge punch on my face, really), Septicflesh (very impressive as always I would say) and Swiss metal masters Coroner (this night was definitely fucking special). For indoor live shows, the Ghost Brigade's performance at Paris was my favorite
Metal Moment Of 2011: Once again, the Hellfest Open Air of course!
And 2012? Hellfest 2012 in June + some good shows already planned in Paris + to spend a lot of time here on MS.

wormdrink414

Favourite Album: Havok - Time Is Up
Best Home-Country Album: (From home-state) Toxic Holocaust - Conjure And Command
Most-Played Song: Toxic Holocaust - "Revelations"
Most Promising Band: Nader Sadek or TOAD
Best Concert: Probably would have been Red Fang with support from stand-up comedians.
Biggest Disappointment: Not getting to see Red Fang with support from stand-up comedians.
Black Metal Moment Of 2011: My grandma died.
And 2012? New Clutch disc please.

Elite

Ag Fox

Favorite Album: Terra Tenebrosa - The Tunnels. Unsettling, oppressive atmosphere.
Best Home-Country Album: Someone recommend me good metal bands from Hong Kong please?
Most Played Song: Within Temptation - "Sinéad", Blut Aus Nord - "Epitome VI"
Most Promising Band: Ulcerate, being among the forefront of the Post Death movement; Orwell, great prog that breaks the mould.
Best Concert: Pure Reason Revolution, London. Last ever show before they split and them playing their phenomenal début - The Dark Third in its entirety.
Biggest Disappointment: Serenity and Deadlock. The previous albums from those two bands were among my favourites. Their latest releases are just average at best D:
Metal Moment Of 2011: Got promoted to elite, went to my first shows, bought my first vinyl ;3
And 2012? MORE LIVE SHOWS, MORE GREAT MUSIC (from bands that I know and I don't, of course)

Dane Train

Favorite Album: Times Of Grace - The Hymn of a Broken Man. Who knew that a side project by these two would be so the closest thing to a Metalcore masterpiece that I have heard.
Best Home-Country Album: Three - The Ghost You Gave To Me. Am I the only person who heard this record?
Most-Played Song: This is not even a Metal song but the album Furthermore: From The Studio/From The Stage by Jars of Clay and with the most amazing and moving version of "Worlds Apart" and I listened to it almost everyday at some point.
Most Promising Band: 40 Watt Sun. Wow, just wow. This is what I have been waiting for for a long time in Metal.
Biggest Disappointment: Opeth's Heritage. I love Opeth's softer material maybe more than their heavier stuff. But this album was empty and directionless.
Best Concert: Albannach! 'Nough Said.
Metal Moment Of 2011: My band got to play the Bele Chere Festival. The venue that booked us for the noon show was under the impression that we were a "Christian Rock" band. After about 5 minutes of playing we had frightened away about half the folks there.
And 2012? This year I am more optimistic than I was in 2011. I have a lot of big plans this year; touring New England on motorcycle, Dragon*Con, starting up my side business, Mass Effect 3, etc. But I think the thing I am most excited about is the release of my band's first LP and a small supporting tour for it.

Dark Cornatus

Favorite Album: Septicflesh - The Great Mass
Best Home-Country Album: Paul Wardingham - Assimilate Regenerate
Most-Played Song: Septicflesh - "A Great Mass of Death"
Most Promising Band: Paul Wardingham
Biggest Disappointment: Decapitated - Carnival is Forever (their sound has become more industrial and i just didn't get into it at all)
Best Concert: Blind Guardian (the only one i have managed to see this year, both due to lack of good bands, and university commitments when good bands were out)
Metal Moment Of 2011: Having a black metal bath (or a.... BATHORY!) alone with candles and red wine...... AWWW YEAAAH!
And 2012? Seeing Iced Earth for the first time and doing a meet and greet

Music4TheSpirit

Favorite Album: Alaskan [2011] Adversity; Woe
Best Home-Country Album: Cultura Tres - El Mal Del Bien
Most Played Song: Primordial - Bloodied Yet Unbowed
Most Promising Band: Alaskan
Biggest Disappointment: Nothing in particular
Best Concert: Enslaved, they didnt dissapointed me, the show is ok, but they have great feeling performing, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra, well they have an amazing show with light and fireworks if you count this as metal related is an amazing show.
Metal Moment Of 2011: see Biggest Disappintment
And 2012? There is always lots of new stuff coming, I dont have idea what can really bring my attention, I wonder if Stam1na can surprise me again, i expect the 2nd part of Earth's Angels Of Darkness... to be superior, Soulfly? Meshuggah?... Concert like i will see who comes around here, I'm not attending any festivals and don't have plans for travelling so far.

Fat & Sassy!

Favorite Album: Pain Of Salvation - Road Salt Two (Not very metal, but whatevs)
Best Home-Country Album: Grayceon - All We Destroy
Most-Played Song: Grayceon - "Shellmounds"
Most Promising Band: Spellbound Dazzle
Biggest Disappointment: Akphaezya, Stolen Babies, and Circus Maximus didn't release their upcoming albums this year. Suicide was almost had, but then I realized that I did wanna hear these albums when they eventually do come out... and well... Killing myself would be highly counter-productive when I thought about it.
Best Concert: Devin Townsend (by far). Never seen this guy live before, but heard good things. I was blown away. More fun than listening to Ziltoid all the way through hopped up on an hour-long sugar rush.
Metal Moment Of 2011: Dancing to Blood Stain Child's album, εpsilon, in the middle of my living room wearing only parachute pants and a birthday party hat.
And 2012? I'm gonna lock the cat my sister left at my house in the basement with a guitar for the whole year, see if it'll teach itself how to play, and then have him perform at my end of the world party in December as entertainment for my guests. Also, Symphony X and Iced Earth headlining the same show? Goooooooodness.

Götter

Favorite Album: MurkRat - Drudging the Mire
Best Home-Country Album: Neoandertals - Ebu Gogo Gutting the Child
Most-Played Song: Wolfe Tones - "The Fighting Men of Crossmagle"
Most Promising Band: Esoteric (no sign of them stopping, which is awesome!)
Biggest Disappointment: None, considering I had no expectations in the first place. If anything, I was pleasantly surprised by 2011 in general.
Metal Moment Of 2011: Me trying to sell the Melechesh shirt I bought to the band's frontman after the show. Capitalism is fuckin' metal!
And 2012? Well, since 2011 was an excellent year for doom metal, I can only expect a bad year to follow it. Also, end of the world.

Introspekrieg

Favorite Album: Haken - Visions
Best Home-Country Album: (Tie) Animals As Leaders - Weightless, Blotted Science - The Animation Of Entomology [EP]
Most-Played Song: Steel Panther - "Gold-Digging Whore"
Most Promising Band: Random
Best Concert: Devin Townsend w/Fat & Sassy!
Biggest Disappointment: Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Metal Moment Of 2011: [Link]
And 2012? Hope to continue rippin' and tearin' with the likes of new Amaseffer, Augury, Devin Townsend, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Fear Factory, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects, Gojira, Gorguts, Into Eternity, The Mars Volta, Meshuggah, OSI, Quo Vadis, Riverside, Rush, Storm Corrosion, Summoning, Tool, and Watchtower.

Favorite Album: A draw between Blut Aus Nord's The Desanctification and SubRosa's No Help for the Mighty Ones.
Best Home-Country Album: Bong's Beyond Ancient Space - incredible sitar-driven drone.
Most-Played Song: That would have to be this and this.
Most Promising Band: Terra Tenebrosa, N.K.V.D. and Flourishing
Biggest Disappointment: Probably The Axis Of Perdition cocking up and choosing to rip-off Deathspell Omega with their latest album. I'm confident the next one will get them back on course though.
Best Concert: Barn Owl. Tiny Teeny venue. Very personal and very spiritual.
Metal Moment Of 2011: See Jupitreas' answer.
And 2012? Final part of the 777 trilogy, Bloodstock, lots of gigs already planned including Meshuggah, Earth, Electric Wizard etc. I dunno. We'll see. Oh of course, arguably the greatest event in the history of metal: the return of !T.O.O.H.!

Milena

Favorite Album: Subsignal - Touchstones. Took the cake in December.
Best Home-Country Album: Rain Delay - Slumber Recon, simply for getting "outside" recognition.
Most-Played Song: A song of a dear friend of mine which never got past the demo stage.
Most Promising Band: X-Panda
Biggest Disappointment: Tied between Charon kicking the bucket and Dream Theater's pathetic excuse for an album. As well as Mike Portnoy's bitchfest.
Best Concert: Judas Priest and Whitesnake in Belgrade Arena. Sure, Whitesnake were awful, but Judas Priest made up for it by giving us the ideal heavy metal show.
Metal Moment Of 2011: Being made an elite in Metal Storm and doing a review for Sonata Arctica's new DVD, as well as writing reviews for obscure bands and exchanging e-mails with their most polite members. Besides that, probably the awesome metal parties for my prom, birthdays and other celebrations, as well as some local gigs.
And 2012? Hopefully going to Metalcamp in Tolmin, Slovenia with my best buddies.

X-Ray Rod

Favorite Album: Esoteric - Paragon Of Dissonance
Best Home-Country Album: Graveyard - Hisingen Blues
Most-Played Song: Mind.In.A.Box - Change
Most Promising Band: Ulcerate because of its fresh take on death metal that hopefully will help the genre to expand a little more.
Biggest Disappointment: Shining's excuse of an album, B's death and the end of Lifelover.
Best Concert: Today Is The Day (in-fucking-tense!), Godflesh (playing Streetcleaner) and Candlemass (playing Epicus Doomicus Metallicus with Johan Längquist), all at Roadburn.
Metal Moment Of 2011: Being made elite and to be part of my first metal festival ever (Roadburn).
And 2012? Looking forward to Roadburn 2012 and the end of the world!

Nefarious

Favorite Album: Graveyard - Hisingen Blues or (if you are looking for a more 'metal' orientated answer) Esoteric - Paragon Of Dissonance
Best Home-Country Album: Nervecell - Psychogenocide
Most-Played Song: Septicflesh - Pyramid God
Most Promising Band: 40 Watt Sun Patrick Walker picks up right where he left off with Warning. One of the best releases in 2011.
Biggest Disappointment: Ozzy's performance at Wacken.
Best Concert: Septicflesh (Brutal Assault), Anathema (UAE)
Metal Moment Of 2011: Too many to mention. Highlights included meeting Septicflesh, Anathema & Katatonia in person, having long drunken conversation with Karl Sanders of Nile at Nervecell's album launch (nicest guy on the planet), seeing my close friends Nervecell open for Metallica in front of 40,000 people, spending the summer traveling Europe to go to festivals (Wacken & Brutal Assault) & getting engaged to the most amazing metalhead girl i have ever met. 2011 was an amazing year!
And 2012? Doing the European summer festival circuit again.

Written on 10.02.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 576 users
10.02.2012 - 07:40
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Awesome lists. 2011 definitely had its moments, some of them too good. Agalloch's concert in March was too good so I didn't go to any other concerts for the rest of the year
10.02.2012 - 13:06
JD
Account deleted
I don't think any of this picks would be similar to mines, anywho Momo's picks are my favorites in here.
10.02.2012 - 13:26
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Guest on 10.02.2012 at 13:06

I don't think any of this picks would be similar to mines, anywho Momo's picks are my favorites in here.

hehe, thanks!

Anyway, these list do show how varied our collective taste are
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
10.02.2012 - 13:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Darkside Momo on 10.02.2012 at 13:26

Anyway, these list do show how varied our collective taste are

I wouldn't call five mentioning 40 Watt Sun varied
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2012 - 14:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Nice lists!

My picks are waaaaaaay different from the staff/elite though.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.02.2012 - 18:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.02.2012 at 13:37

I wouldn't call five mentioning 40 Watt Sun varied

or 40 Watt Sun was just that good.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.02.2012 - 19:09
Slayer666

Written by BitterCOld on 10.02.2012 at 18:00

or 40 Watt Sun was just that good.

Speaking of which, our "most played song" matches.
10.02.2012 - 19:35
Rulatore

Biggest Disappointment: Falling in love with Blood Stain Child's εpsilon. There goes my metal credibility. - Promonex

10.02.2012 - 21:54
Sentinel65

I don't understand all the hate towards Heritage, I thought it was an entertaining album. Other than that these lists are good.
10.02.2012 - 22:43
Milena
gloom cookie
What a bunch of good looking people. Must cover my eyes not to be blinded by all this swag.
----
7.0 means the album is good
11.02.2012 - 01:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Only Lyrian's one band she probobly guess what is that and Marcel is close to mine, other bands in staff list not my cup of team ok derroz is good to, wher eis Richard list

Well

Favorite Album: Subsignal - to many
Best Home-Country Album: to many
Most-Played Song: I play records bt songs hmmm cant remeber
Most Promising Band: Non
Biggest Disappointment: Metallica and many other overated bands get more overated
Best Concert: Not a single one
Metal Moment Of 2011: cant remeber and way to many
And 2012? let there be doom and fake bands split up only true bands exist (sounds Manowar) LOL
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.02.2012 - 07:50
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I am bummed out...not one of you professionals mentioned my album of the year: Dirge - Elysian Magnetic Fields

Mora and Intro might have the closest likes...
----
rekt
11.02.2012 - 12:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by tea[m]ster on 11.02.2012 at 07:50

I am bummed out...not one of you professionals mentioned my album of the year: Dirge - Elysian Magnetic Fields

It was a good one though, I remember
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.02.2012 - 12:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Milena on 10.02.2012 at 22:43

What a bunch of good looking people. Must cover my eyes not to be blinded by all this swag.

I know, right?
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.02.2012 - 15:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 11.02.2012 at 12:44

Written by Milena on 10.02.2012 at 22:43

I know, right?

thats why i dont look to ppl I only listen metal
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.03.2012 - 22:22
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust

I always thought professional involved something with money... 0_0

Good album though.
21.03.2012 - 02:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
That and it did win our staff pick in post... it just wasn't anyone's absolute favorite album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.03.2012 - 13:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Like Craig said... It got staff picked, if that doesn't mean anything I don't know what does. It just wasn't my absolute favorite album but hell yeah I liked it and so did the rest.

I'm flattered by the professional tag though.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.03.2012 - 17:11
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.03.2012 at 13:22

Well, you're the ones that have to listen to hundreds of records every year...most qualified for sure!
----
rekt
21.03.2012 - 17:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 21.03.2012 at 17:11

Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.03.2012 at 13:22

Well, you're the ones that have to listen to hundreds of records every year...most qualified for sure!

Oh please stop it!
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 10801 | This month: 7