Metal Storm logo
At The Gates

18.05.2006 - 14:17
__Az__
At The Gates and Thomas Lindberg are one of the pioneers of the melodic death metal genre... IMO they released one of the greatest metal albums of all time: Slaughter Of The Soul... Im sure many people would feel the same...

Its just a shame the band decided to split and go their seperate ways, what does everyone else think?
18.05.2006 - 17:40
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Yep. 'SOTS' is a pretty damned good thrashy melodeath album indeed. It kinda overshadows 'Terminal Spirit Disease' though which is a shame as it's just as good in my opinion. It has an epic and melodic feel that is lacking on SOTS. Tomas Lindberg has never really topped the heights of At The Gates unfortunately, Nightrage probably come closest.
18.05.2006 - 17:48
__Az__
Written by Guest on 18.05.2006 at 17:40

Yep. 'SOTS' is a pretty damned good thrashy melodeath album indeed. It kinda overshadows 'Terminal Spirit Disease' though which is a shame as it's just as good in my opinion. It has an epic and melodic feel that is lacking on SOTS. Tomas Lindberg has never really topped the heights of At The Gates unfortunately, Nightrage probably come closest.

Yeh, Nightrage did release two pretty decent albums with Lindberg, not up to ATG standards though...
18.05.2006 - 17:54
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Indeed, Sweet Vengeance was actually quite a good album, some of the songs were fantastic (such as 'Glow of the Setting Sun') but there seemed to be alot of filler. It was even more the case with their second album, couple of really great songs (mostly near the start of the album <3 the song 'Frozen') but then lots of really bland tracks.
18.05.2006 - 17:58
__Az__
Written by Guest on 18.05.2006 at 17:54

Indeed, Sweet Vengeance was actually quite a good album, some of the songs were fantastic (such as 'Glow of the Setting Sun') but there seemed to be alot of filler. It was even more the case with their second album, couple of really great songs (mostly near the start of the album <3 the song 'Frozen') but then lots of really bland tracks.

I disagree, i think the filler was mostly on the first album... I really liked 'Desent Into Chaos'... There may have been some filler... but not as much... I loved the tracks Drug, Being Nothing and Phantasma...
18.05.2006 - 18:04
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Fair enough, the first album still gets my vote however. The second album was certainly the more aggressive of the two but lost some of its harmonies and melody in the process.
18.05.2006 - 18:17
ylside
Staff
One pillar album : The Red In The Sky Is Ours. I prefer it over all the other albums. I used to worship SOTS at the beginning but I soon discovered that the older the better . Now SOTS seems quites weak to me compared to their previous work.
18.05.2006 - 18:32
Gardens Of Grief
Account deleted
They are my favorite band at all but I don't like SOTS that much. It's boring imo and sounds like stuff by In Flames etc... But the early albums are a blast and I recommend it.
18.05.2006 - 19:45
Southern Wind
Account deleted
There is only one album I like by them: "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness"... very schizophrenic shit, mad vocals and a very electric ambient... it's my favourite Melo-Death album.
18.05.2006 - 20:28
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
IMO they a the creators of the Goteborg sound.I liked all their albums but IMO slaughter of the soul is their best moment.
18.05.2006 - 23:16
__Az__
Written by Guest on 18.05.2006 at 20:28

IMO they a the creators of the Goteborg sound.I liked all their albums but IMO slaughter of the soul is their best moment.

Yeh, they are the creators of Gothenburg metal... IMO, they are also one of the founders of melodic death...
20.05.2006 - 02:41
Deucehound
Account deleted
I've never heard this band before, yet on MS I've seen the name thrown around. I need to check them out, but what do they sound like if anything? In Flames? I'm guessing the older In Flames sound?
20.05.2006 - 03:02
ylside
Staff
No, they aren't exactly like In Flames, all At The Gates' releases are more into a "full-riffage" guitar style and more aggressive. In fact, it's not like In Flames at all.
However, against the others, I STRONGLY recommend you to check the albums "Gardens of Grief", " The Red in the Sky..." and "Terminal Spirit Disease" first. Slaughter of the soul comes after.
20.05.2006 - 09:27
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
^^I disagree with you. Look at it from your point of view. You heard SOTS first(im presuming) and you used to worship it until you heard the others. Let him try SOTS first, enjoy it, and then move onto the others.

Anyhow, At The Gates are an awesome band, who have influenced a LOT of bands over the years. My fav. album still remains SOTS, but I like The Red In The Sky a lot too.
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
20.05.2006 - 18:01
__Az__
Yeh definately... SOTS remains the best album... There needs to be a poll on this, would make for a good thread...
22.05.2006 - 20:09
ASiema113
At The Gates was an awesome band but their music lives and i've been listening to them longer then I realized when I first heard
Slaughter of the Soul it was covered on a BTS album(when i was just creeping out of punk mode) it was my favorite song on the whole cd and then i learned it was a cover and listened to some of their ofther stuff.
Shame I didn't figure that out sooner but I guess that there's not much to do about that. Good bands, Good music, never dies.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
01.06.2006 - 17:49
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
At The Gates - 'Making Of' Slaughter Of The Soul Dual Disc Trailer Available Online :

A 3 minute teaser for the forthcoming 'Making Of' Slaughter Of The Soul Dual Disc from At The Gates has been posted online at this location.

Earache Records has announced plans to reissue the legendary Slaughter Of The Soul album as a Dual Disc (release date to be determined).

The CD side of the Dual Disc will contain the original 11-song album. The DVD side was filmed on March 5th. Earache arranged for the old members of ATG (Tomas Lindberg - vocals, Anders Bjorler - lead guitar, Martin Larsson - rhythm guitar, Jonas Bjorler - bass, Adrian Erlandsson - drums) to gather together at Fredman Studio in Gothenberg, Sweden to be filmed for a documentary style DVD by acclaimed video director Patrick Ullaeus (Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Evergrey).

An Earache representative has stated, "At The Gates are not scheduled to actually 'play' anything (sadly) - but instead will talk on camera about the making of the legendary album and the band's history. Original producer of the album, Fredrik Nordström, will be playing back songs from the multi-tracks masters for the fans to hear and band to reminisce about. It should be essential viewing for any fan, and a history lesson in the making of a groundbreaking CD which set the Gothenberg scene alight on its original release in 1995."

To clarify, the Dual Disc reissue will not contain the six bonus tracks that were featured on the initial Slaughter Of The Soul reissue in 2002.

(Source : http://www.bravewords.com/news/45526)
----
Your favorite band sucks.
01.06.2006 - 23:12
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Pretty interesting Thryce. Sounds like a cash grab. That's Earache for you I guess. Still cool to see At the Gates banding together, if even for a short while.
----
The force will be with you, always.
10.06.2006 - 14:39
__Az__
Yeh, If only theyd be smart enough to make another album... Im sure It'd definately go down well, as for this... As you say C-Dub looks like a money grabbing scheme, shame...
10.06.2006 - 18:16
ylside
Staff
Written by __Az__ on 10.06.2006 at 14:39

Yeh, If only theyd be smart enough to make another album... Im sure It'd definately go down well, as for this... As you say C-Dub looks like a money grabbing scheme, shame...

Why do people just think this way... Why can't you think of it like a big gift to the fans ? I mean, I like stuff like this, the behind-the-scenes of an album and such. Sure they will make money with it, I don't see where is the problem in gaining revenue from some material that ATG fans would love to get.
11.06.2006 - 02:45
__Az__
Dont you think though, If they really wanted to make some money and please the fans they'll rejoin and release a new album...
11.06.2006 - 10:01
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by ylside on 10.06.2006 at 18:16

Written by __Az__ on 10.06.2006 at 14:39

Why do people just think this way... Why can't you think of it like a big gift to the fans ? I mean, I like stuff like this, the behind-the-scenes of an album and such. Sure they will make money with it, I don't see where is the problem in gaining revenue from some material that ATG fans would love to get.

Well, you must always be aware when someone is pulling your leg. Even if you are a big fan of the band. Anyway, I'm pointing a finger at Earache, not At the Gates. It stills seems iffy anyways.
----
The force will be with you, always.
11.06.2006 - 20:30
ylside
Staff
Written by __Az__ on 11.06.2006 at 02:45

Dont you think though, If they really wanted to make some money and please the fans they'll rejoin and release a new album...

Well, THAT is what I'm calling a money-grabbing opportunity. They will just reform to please the fans, and not themselves ?

@C-Dub : Well yes you may be right, but still I want to consider it as a good gift to the fans.
11.06.2006 - 21:35
__Az__
I agree with C-Dub, the blame should be pointed at Earache rather than the actual band...
14.06.2006 - 11:38
mvikred
i was listening to 'the slaughter of the soul' ... and man !!!... it is an amazing album .
----
I'm addicted to Technical Death Metal ... Somebody save me
14.06.2006 - 19:04
Stigmatized
Written by ylside on 18.05.2006 at 18:17

One pillar album : The Red In The Sky Is Ours. I prefer it over all the other albums. I used to worship SOTS at the beginning but I soon discovered that the older the better . Now SOTS seems quites weak to me compared to their previous work.

I agree. I would take The Red In the Sky Is Ours over SOTS any day. How do you feel about With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness?
14.06.2006 - 19:12
ylside
Staff
Written by Stigmatized on 14.06.2006 at 19:04

Written by ylside on 18.05.2006 at 18:17

I agree. I would take The Red In the Sky Is Ours over SOTS any day. How do you feel about With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness?

With Fear I Kiss The Tralala and Terminal Spirit Disease are also great albums in my eyes, (better than SOTS also hehe) I don't have anything to say about them beside that they contain some great rythm guitars. I conceive it as a trademark of At The Gates, cunning rythm guitars.

I don't like Gardens of Grief (and the grostesque demo) that much...
27.06.2006 - 19:09
Taranis
Account deleted
That's true, their work means a lot to me, and they will continue to inspire me (in fact when I'll be able to blast beat).
Most of the people think Slaughter Of The Soul is their greatest album, It is an opinion and I respect it, but did they took the time to listen to The Red In The Sky Is Ours? For me, this one is the best.
27.06.2006 - 22:56
Endoftherainbow
At the Gates were an amazing band it's to bad they had to split up when they were at the top of their game. Slaughter of the Soul is an amazing album for me the melodies on it are what makes it their best album. The Red In The Sky Is Ours is my second favorite album by them but for me it just doesn't have the great melodies in every song which can be found on SOTS. There is one At the Gates album which I have always had trouble getting into which is With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness for me it just didn't have everything that I wanted in an At the Gates album but for a Melodeath release it is still great. Any fan of Melodic Death Metal should listen to this band because they started it all IMO.
22.07.2006 - 09:32
Robstar
Brutal Band 4 sure they are! At the Gates is one of my favorite bands!
Great Death Melodic Metal! This is what I call an unique band!
Favorite album, of course... Slaughter of the Soul...
Favorite tracks are ...
1) Cold
2) Slaughter of the Sol
3) Nausea
----
Nothing is unreacheable