Metal Storm logo
At The Gates

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 18.05.2006 - 14:17
At The Gates and Thomas Lindberg are one of the pioneers of the melodic death metal genre... IMO they released one of the greatest metal albums of all time: Slaughter Of The Soul... Im sure many people would feel the same...

Its just a shame the band decided to split and go their seperate ways, what does everyone else think?
10.08.2008 - 07:07
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.08.2008 at 07:08

Written by Guest on 16.06.2008 at 01:11

Yeah SotS was a great album-- still under-appreciated to this day!!

How the bleep can you say this? SotS is without a doubt the most overrated At The Gates album. Anything before that album by ATG is sooooooo much better.

HELL NO!!
"Slaughter Of The Soul" is BEST!
it set the standards for melo-death!
11.08.2008 - 16:24
MathC
Account deleted
Gateway band. And I blame them for the birth of metalcore.
12.08.2008 - 22:20
MetalISTasty
Account deleted
The red in the sky is ours is one of the best albums of all time, Stands up with albums such as Obscura, Slumber of Sullen eyes, Nespthe, A velvet creation and Beyond Sanctorum
21.08.2008 - 17:50
Abattoir

Written by Guest on 10.08.2008 at 07:07

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.08.2008 at 07:08

Written by Guest on 16.06.2008 at 01:11

Yeah SotS was a great album-- still under-appreciated to this day!!

How the bleep can you say this? SotS is without a doubt the most overrated At The Gates album. Anything before that album by ATG is sooooooo much better.

HELL NO!!
"Slaughter Of The Soul" is BEST!
it set the standards for melo-death!

I agree, for me this album is also the best one. It sounds better than anyone of those before this one.
21.08.2008 - 19:02
totaliteraliter

Slaughter Of The Soul is garbage, death-metal-for-dummies. It's like one IQ point above Pantera, but Pantera is at least fun. Red In The Sky, on the other hand...
21.08.2008 - 21:12
Rémi
Account deleted
Written by totaliteraliter on 21.08.2008 at 19:02

Slaughter Of The Soul is garbage, death-metal-for-dummies. It's like one IQ point above Pantera, but Pantera is at least fun. Red In The Sky, on the other hand...

It's not ''garbage'' its still a good album, death metal for dummies? Maybe, it's actually the first album that got me into DM with Cannibal Corpse, so i kinda agree with that. But still great to me, just not as much as the other albums.
22.08.2008 - 01:13
Galar
Wicked Mung
I had the pleasure of hanging out with Mr. Lindberg at the Palladium in Worchester MA a couple months ago. Real nice/humble guy....

I was curious though what he does nowadays since he told me "At The Gates is done after this tour". Any one have any idea?
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
23.08.2008 - 00:24
Tango2150
Account deleted
terrible that they split, but the reunion tour is amazing, i saw them at bloodstock last week, epic show, played at least one song off every release
23.08.2008 - 06:14
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted

wow, i try hard not to disrespect people and be rude to others.......

but i have to say, what a dumb comment :

P.S. Pantera are a Groove/'90's Thrash, not so much DM.

because it sold more than other At The Gates albums, you feel "cool" hating on it? FUCK man, "Slaughter Of The Soul" ain even MTV-related, so why bother?
23.08.2008 - 21:07
totaliteraliter

Written by Guest on 23.08.2008 at 06:14

because it sold more than other At The Gates albums, you feel "cool" hating on it? FUCK man, "Slaughter Of The Soul" ain even MTV-related, so why bother?

Perhaps you can calm down and try that again without the strawman arguments? I did not imply that Pantera were any genre; I was only comparing them to At The Gates in terms of how moronic the music they create is. SotS is garbage because of its content, if it had sold three copies I would say the same thing. A dumbed-down sellout album is a dumbed-down sellout album whether it succeeds or not. And the mention of MTV just seems like a whiny red herring. Try again.
23.08.2008 - 21:15
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by totaliteraliter on 23.08.2008 at 21:07

Written by Guest on 23.08.2008 at 06:14

Perhaps you can calm down and try that again without the strawman arguments? I did not imply that Pantera were any genre; I was only comparing them to At The Gates in terms of how moronic the music they create is. SotS is garbage because of its content, if it had sold three copies I would say the same thing. A dumbed-down sellout album is a dumbed-down sellout album whether it succeeds or not. And the mention of MTV just seems like a whiny red herring. Try again.

Wow......

Sorry I reacted that way dude, I seriously had a little much to drink last night. "Strawman arguments" lol. We're all entitled to our opinions, I still think it's a damn good album, even though the ATG release I own is "With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness". I thought "Slaughter...." set the standards for '90's Melodic-Death Metal.....and today look at how many Metalcore bands rip them off haha.

But anyway, please forgive me, I really regret flaming you like that.
01.10.2008 - 17:24
SK921
Account deleted
Written by Galar on 22.08.2008 at 01:13

I had the pleasure of hanging out with Mr. Lindberg at the Palladium in Worchester MA a couple months ago. Real nice/humble guy....

I was curious though what he does nowadays since he told me "At The Gates is done after this tour". Any one have any idea?

He's in different bands. Not of which are a metal I think. Apart from Nightrage but he left them.

Oh you.
02.10.2008 - 04:42
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Well Slaughter of the Soul is good for it's time....paving the way for melodic death to come but I think it's had its time its very dated and sort of bland now compared to more recent melodic death bands
31.03.2009 - 00:26
bard

I just recently got my hands on some of their material, and I have to say that I enjoyed Slaughter of the Soul very much, simply just because it was much more playful than work by In Flames and Dark Tranquillity, whose albums tend to be more serious and can loose my attention halfway through an album. I also listened to With Fear I kiss the Burning Darkness, which I found a little heavier and closer to actual Death Metal. Hopefully The Red In the Sky is Ours will be even better. Awesome band, really too bad they broke up...
----
04.04.2009 - 00:25
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
It is good that they broke up. We don't need new SotS and TSD because those albums are crappy.
26.04.2009 - 21:41
symbolic727

The red in the sky is ours is my personal favorite but slaughter of the soul is a close second.
08.08.2009 - 08:50
wormdrink414

The only At the Gates album I have listened to is Slaughter of the Soul. Must say, some of the riffs are cool (simple, but cool nonetheless) but overall the album is boring as hell. I am not a big fan of melodeath in general, developing an affinity for early Black Dahlia Murder and Amon Amarth in ways unknown, but can see the clear influence At the Gates has had on the genre (some of the riffs off of TBDM's Unhallowed are practically stolen straight from Slaughter of the Soul).
29.08.2009 - 15:26
GamlaSonn

SotS is good, but yeah dated because the sound has become really generic now. I actually think TSD is their most interesting peace of work. "And the world returned" is a great acoustic song and the intro on "The swarm"..
04.04.2010 - 11:40
Lachy
Account deleted
The thing is I love at the gates but i totally hate metalcore, but when you think about it with metalcore there it weeds out many of the followers of metal because they think it is cool so now we have a community that is seriously interested in metal and all have there own opinions. Just a thought
22.10.2012 - 02:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 21.10.2012 at 23:33

The making of SotS (2006):

probably the single most overrated and also overporduced album around. Way too slick sounding for its own good.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2012 - 12:43
Aristarchos

Their first two albums are my favourites.
22.10.2012 - 18:34
@gent_-_orange

Written by Aristarchos on 22.10.2012 at 12:43

Their first two albums are my favourites.

Same here SOTS cant touch their earlier stuff.
18.11.2012 - 17:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.11.2012 at 16:28

Great band but it sounds a little bit like metalcore

*Facepalm*
18.11.2012 - 19:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 18.11.2012 at 16:28

Great band but it sounds a little bit like metalcore

Well they are pretty much the forefathers of the genre.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.11.2012 - 20:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.11.2012 at 19:14

Not really =P Metalcore was around before ATG existed, rather modern day melodic metalcore bands ripped off every ATG / Slaughter of the Soul riff they could, leading people to believe that somehow ATG are metalcore.
18.11.2012 - 20:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 18.11.2012 at 20:23

Written by Boxcar Willy on 18.11.2012 at 19:14

Not really =P Metalcore was around before ATG existed, rather modern day melodic metalcore bands ripped off every ATG / Slaughter of the Soul riff they could, leading people to believe that somehow ATG are metalcore.

Well, by forefathers I mean that they have influenced a lot of metalcore bands today. Pretty muich every modern band sights ATG as an influence.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.11.2012 - 22:00
megadeath13
Account deleted
Slaughter of the Souls remains as one of my favourite Melo Death albums, but i dont care for the others albums, in their discography.
18.11.2012 - 22:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.11.2012 at 22:00

Slaughter of the Souls remains as one of my favourite Melo Death albums, but i dont care for the others albums, in their discography.

I don't mind SotS, but I prefer all their other ones more than it.
19.11.2012 - 05:07
Mattybu

Slaughter of the Soul is my favourite of their albums. And I think part of that is the thrash fan in me talking cause it's a bit thrashy. But just tight and awesome.
22.11.2012 - 05:37
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Mattybu on 19.11.2012 at 05:07

Slaughter of the Soul is my favourite of their albums. And I think part of that is the thrash fan in me talking cause it's a bit thrashy. But just tight and awesome.

I feel like their earlier albums are more "thrashy", even though none of them are really all that thrashy... thrashy