Metal Storm logo
Catamenia

Original post

Posted by FOOCK Nam, 24.10.2006 - 08:50
I found no topic for Catamenia, a band once I found on radio and got impression. Can u tell me what u think of this band and what good album of them?
17.02.2008 - 05:40
Raabjørn
Account deleted
I love Catamenia. I respect their older work, but I think Location: COLD is their best album so far. It maintains a great balance between the heavy brutal metal sound and very elegant and majestic keyboard and guitar melodies. The Day When The Sun Faded Away, The Tribe of Eternity, Gallery of Fear and Location: COLD are all full of such catchy amazing riffs.
17.02.2008 - 12:01
FOOCK Nam

Written by Guest on 17.02.2008 at 05:40

I love Catamenia. I respect their older work, but I think Location: COLD is their best album so far. It maintains a great balance between the heavy brutal metal sound and very elegant and majestic keyboard and guitar melodies. The Day When The Sun Faded Away, The Tribe of Eternity, Gallery of Fear and Location: COLD are all full of such catchy amazing riffs.

Glad to hear, that album has bunch of good songs as you mention above. Sadly it is more of bad appraised. It is good one but in other way to compare to thier older stuff. Both new and older are good,. But Location:COLD is appreciate low than their older stuff, sadly
20.02.2008 - 07:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by FOOCK Nam on 17.02.2008 at 12:01

Written by Guest on 17.02.2008 at 05:40

Glad to hear, that album has bunch of good songs as you mention above. Sadly it is more of bad appraised. It is good one but in other way to compare to thier older stuff. Both new and older are good,. But Location:COLD is appreciate low than their older stuff, sadly

Thats because to be a tr00 metalhead you can only like a bands older material.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.02.2008 - 23:15
Rituale_Satanum

Going to see them on Metal Camp in Slovenia this year and i cant wait to see the little drinking finnish bastards
----
No-one is closer to the Devil than me
17.07.2008 - 07:40
Umideath

Catamenia Covers (Wolf & Moon) Is The Best
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
18.07.2008 - 15:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
aah, gonna put on some Catamenia and play Bloodmoon... good mix lol.
01.04.2009 - 03:02
Lord_Regnier

Catamenia is a great band, imo. Among my favourite melodic BM bands.

I love all their albums, apart from the new one (VIII-The Time Unchained). Music is great as usual but they incorporate clean vocals in every song and those vocals suck, they sound pop-ish. The cleans destroy the atmosphere, imo, and ruin the album completely. I strongly hope they will scrap the idea of using clean vocals for the next album.

By the way, the guys are very cool. Riku and Ari visit their own official forum almost every day when the band is not on tour. Nice guys really, not arrogant or cocky at all. You rarely meet musicians who are so friendly on the internet.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
02.04.2009 - 17:16
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
It's a little strange, but Catamenia's vocalist just annoys me. The strange thing about it is that I love Dani Filth's vocals, and almost all kinds of shrieks and growls, but there's something unbearable about the voice of Catamenia's vocalist. But their music can be very catchy and technical, it sounds like blackened Kalmah. I especially like the song Gallery of Fear.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
06.04.2009 - 03:12
Mongoose2557
Account deleted
I just got into them. I really enjoy them.
06.04.2009 - 04:07
Lord_Regnier

Written by MétalNoir on 02.04.2009 at 17:16

It's a little strange, but Catamenia's vocalist just annoys me. The strange thing about it is that I love Dani Filth's vocals, and almost all kinds of shrieks and growls, but there's something unbearable about the voice of Catamenia's vocalist. But their music can be very catchy and technical, it sounds like blackened Kalmah. I especially like the song Gallery of Fear.

Are you talking of Olli-Jukka Mustonen or Mika Tönning here?

Mika was their vocalist from "Halls Of Frozen North" to "Chaosborn". Olli was their vocalist on "Winternight Tragedies" and "Location:Cold". Their main vocalist on the new album is Ari Nissila, though this one also incorporates lots of clean vocals that ruin it.

Since you mentioned the song "Gallery Of Fear", I believe the vocalist you don't like is Olli-Jukka Mustonen.

By the way, this band is quite melodic but the musicianship level is impressive. We're far from the general mediocrity you can see in many Powermetal bands nowadays.

Concerning the fact "Location:Cold" seems to be a bit less appreciated than Catamenia's older albums by some people, I don't know why. This album is awesome, imo. One of their best.
It's another story for "VIII-The Time Unchained", however. I utterly dislike it, even if there is not a single song I don't like on all the other albums (I love all of them). Blame those shitty pop-ish clean vocals for it.
----
07.04.2009 - 18:37
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Lord_Regnier on 06.04.2009 at 04:07

Written by MétalNoir on 02.04.2009 at 17:16

Are you talking of Olli-Jukka Mustonen or Mika Tönning here?

Mika was their vocalist from "Halls Of Frozen North" to "Chaosborn". Olli was their vocalist on "Winternight Tragedies" and "Location:Cold". Their main vocalist on the new album is Ari Nissila, though this one also incorporates lots of clean vocals that ruin it.

Since you mentioned the song "Gallery Of Fear", I believe the vocalist you don't like is Olli-Jukka Mustonen.

By the way, this band is quite melodic but the musicianship level is impressive. We're far from the general mediocrity you can see in many Powermetal bands nowadays.

Concerning the fact "Location:Cold" seems to be a bit less appreciated than Catamenia's older albums by some people, I don't know why. This album is awesome, imo. One of their best.
It's another story for "VIII-The Time Unchained", however. I utterly dislike it, even if there is not a single song I don't like on all the other albums (I love all of them). Blame those shitty pop-ish clean vocals for it.

I guess it's Olli I was talking about, since the only albums I heard from them are Winternight Tragedies and Location: COLD.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
07.04.2009 - 18:56
DarkMistress

I´ve been listening to this band from not so long time, but they´re rather nice, unfortunately didn´t know them before
----
Wait in fire
24.10.2009 - 20:23
FeskarN

I have been listening to the Location:COLD album, witch is quite good. What album/albums should I start listening to after? Witch album got the most easy-listening songs etc. I have read here in this thread that their latest album is not that good so I will not pick it up.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
24.10.2009 - 21:05
Lord_Regnier

Written by FeskarN on 24.10.2009 at 20:23

I have been listening to the Location:COLD album, witch is quite good. What album/albums should I start listening to after? Witch album got the most easy-listening songs etc. I have read here in this thread that their latest album is not that good so I will not pick it up.

I would recommend any other album from this band, except "VIII-The Time Unchained". Especially "ChaosBorn", "Morning Crimson" and "Winternight Tragedies".

Just be sure to avoid their last album, "VIII-The Time Unchained". This album sucks big time. Musically, it could be ok, but they had the 'brilliant' idea to put those fucking pop-ish clean vocals on all songs, and it trashed everything.
----
24.10.2009 - 21:47
FeskarN

Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.10.2009 at 21:05

Written by FeskarN on 24.10.2009 at 20:23

I would recommend any other album from this band, except "VIII-The Time Unchained". Especially "ChaosBorn", "Morning Crimson" and "Winternight Tragedies".

Just be sure to avoid their last album, "VIII-The Time Unchained". This album sucks big time. Musically, it could be ok, but they had the 'brilliant' idea to put those fucking pop-ish clean vocals on all songs, and it trashed everything.

thx for the tip!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
01.05.2010 - 00:26
Jiri

They are somewhat mediocore. Nothing real original. They have solid releases. IMO.