04. Beggars & Hangers On [Slash's Snakepit cover]
05. Patience [Guns 'n' Roses cover]
06. Godfather Solo [Andy Williams cover]
07. Sweet Child O' Mine [Guns 'n' Roses cover]
08. Slither [Velvet Revolver cover]
09. By The Sword
10. Mr. Brownstone [Guns 'n' Roses cover]
11. Paradise City [Guns 'n' Roses cover]

Now, I'm not one to gauge my music tastes according to popularity or lack there of. There's some really great mainstream music out there, believe it or not. Unfortunately, when I see/hear things like this, I begin to wonder what's going through the heads of people who religiously follow mainstream rock. Why is music like this put on a pedestal? Is it the name? It's gotta be. Is the same mentality that your poor uncle has? You know the one who has to change grandmas diapers because he was the only one with objections to putting her in a home? Is it something like that? This live album from former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash is a testament of how some rock stars need to be put out to pasture.

To be honest, Slash has never really been able to quite crack it on his own. Duff made mildly amusing punk/garage rock on his own, his only major flaw was it being over polished. Axl made his entertaining, albeit bloated Chinese Democracy. Slash? Slash has seemed comfortable making the most bland series of radio rock albums. Snakepit? Somewhat boring, a few good moments. Velvet Revolver? Was anyone not taking a nap, during, you know...their entire existence? Now it comes to this. A combination of all these mundane failures, plus a few Guns N' Roses songs performed live.

This whole thing would have been acceptably generic was it not for Myles Kennedy. Has anyone else heard this guy? Am I the only one hearing this shit? He sounds like an even worse version of Vince Neil for Christ sakes. Nasally and grating. In fact, there are some cool moments; the Godfather solo would have been pretty entertaining if it were cut down a bit, and "Been There Lately" didn't prove to be a bad opener. Myles Kennedy was just a colossally bad decision to bring in as a singer, especially for the GnR moments. Basically this live album proves that between Axl & Slash, who the more easily replaceable Gunner is.

Boring radio rock. Now with even worse vocals!

Written on 14.02.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 28   Visited by: 302 users
14.02.2012 - 14:08
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
I heard some bootleg of one of the Slash + Myles shows and Myles didn't sound bad on it at all I must say... I wonder how does this sound like.
----
7.0 means the album is good
14.02.2012 - 14:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Myles kennedy is the best thing to happen to Slash solo. Without Myles it would all be even worse. My God Slash solo is so goddamn mediocre it's not even funny.
Axl without Slash is mediocre as is Slash without Axl. Both need echa other, which has been proven by Chinese Democracy and by everything Slash has done since leaving GnR
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.02.2012 - 18:43
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.02.2012 at 14:22

Axl without unlimited drugs and booze is mediocre as is Slash without unlimited drugs and booze.

Am I doing it right?
----
15.02.2012 - 01:44
Enissa
Weird, I always thought of Myles Kennedy as one hell of a vocalist, I was shocked by this review...
15.02.2012 - 03:10
Baz Anderson
staff
Stoke isn't the first place that jumps to mind when I think of rock 'n' roll...
15.02.2012 - 04:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I like Kennedy's vocals a lot but that's still not going to make me check this out.
15.02.2012 - 04:13
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Finally, thank you for saying it out loud.
15.02.2012 - 05:37
davidehc
I respectfully disagree. I think Slash has made a better job alone than Axl. I saw Slash on his Latin American Tour, in Venezuela, and the live sound was good, maybe not as good as the studio album, especially without all the vocalist (Ozzy,lemmy, etc). The way I see it, Slash create some good songs that fit great with the vocalist of each song. The concept works great in the studio, but obviously not so good on tour, because Myles Kennedy can't sing as Lemmy or Ozzy for example. The songs that sound good live with Myles, are the ones who he recorded originally in the studio album. That's what I felt in the concert in Venezuela anyway. I will check this out to compare. Maybe the sound on this live recording does sucks.

Still, I prefer a thousand times the "Slash" album over the "chinese democracy". I do agree about a couple of things, wath made GNR so great, was the combination Axl/Slash, apart, they will never be that great again. And I really didn't like any of the works from Slash untill the "Slash" album.
15.02.2012 - 09:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Since this lookes like turning into a "Slash or Axl" debate, am I the only one who recognises the input Izzy and Duff had in GnR?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
15.02.2012 - 12:27
Kwis
Thought Myles was one of the best rock vocalists around...
15.02.2012 - 18:38
thehondo
Written by M C Vice on 15.02.2012 at 09:58

Since this lookes like turning into a "Slash or Axl" debate, am I the only one who recognises the input Izzy and Duff had in GnR?

No. Your not. Theres really not alot of people here who even care about mainstream, but Izzy wrote most of Appetite. Myles is good, especially with Alterbridge. The majority here prefer a different vocal. I dont even know why they bother with hard rock reviews, since this is not the venue for it.
----
No time like the present
16.02.2012 - 01:13
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by thehondo on 15.02.2012 at 18:38

I dont even know why they bother with hard rock reviews, since this is not the venue for it.

Well, I know for a fact that there is a lot of people here who enjoy hard rock, and the reviewer is one of them
----
16.02.2012 - 05:52
Rating: 4
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Milena on 16.02.2012 at 01:13

Written by thehondo on 15.02.2012 at 18:38

I dont even know why they bother with hard rock reviews, since this is not the venue for it.

Well, I know for a fact that there is a lot of people here who enjoy hard rock, and the reviewer is one of them

Hence why I'm so hard on this.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.02.2012 - 10:07
frankeli
Account deleted
This is a good album. I didn't like that much most of his solo songs, but the rest is really good work. Honest, good rock and roll. You don't like it? Do I like it? Who cares?
Quorthon once told me that "Opinions are like arseholes..." ... no hard feelings
18.02.2012 - 23:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 18.02.2012 at 22:45

long post with poor grammar.

Doc is one of the most open-minded people on MS.

And pretty much aybody can see this is just a feeble attempt to make some money.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.02.2012 - 17:28
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 19.02.2012 at 17:15

Quote:

Number 1: Someone who writes "And pretty much aybody..." should think before open it's mouth and say i write with a very poor grammar! lool! (by the way i'm a languages major, so enough said about that)

Damn, that's what I get for trying to be a smartass.

Language major eh? sounds a lot like a guy we MS'ers used to know.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.02.2012 - 18:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 19.02.2012 at 17:57

Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.02.2012 at 17:28

Written by Guest on 19.02.2012 at 17:15

Quote:

Number 1: Someone who writes "And pretty much aybody..." should think before open it's mouth and say i write with a very poor grammar! lool! (by the way i'm a languages major, so enough said about that)

Damn, that's what I get for trying to be a smartass.

Language major eh? sounds a lot like a guy we MS'ers used to know.

Man, i was not bragging about that, you were the one who put my writing abilities in question.

And i don't know and don't care about that guy you "MS'ers used to know", i'm a member of MS like you or anyone else and i'm here just to share and enjoy good music \m/

I guess you weren't here for the whole "Ponderer" thing.

let's stop spamming up the Doc's review
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.02.2012 - 22:20
TheLostChord
Fuck Slash. He sucks.
25.02.2012 - 15:05
Exciter0870
I have to think some of you people miss the point on writing a review. You're supposed to be objective - even when you don't care for the type of music played. I think the people who would disagree with me are the same ones who would bash me for this post and a negative review on one of your favorite bands. I happen to think Slash's post-GnR career took a few steps back and started going forward with his cd "Slash" in 2010. Slash is a blues-influenced rock guitarist who helped influence a whole new generation of players. I find his guitar work very melodic and soulful. Rock on, Slash!
25.02.2012 - 15:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Exciter0870 on 25.02.2012 at 15:05

I have to think some of you people miss the point on writing a review. You're supposed to be objective - even when you don't care for the type of music played.

Doc cares immensely for the sort of music played here.
I think you are missing the point what a review is, there is no such thing as an objective review.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.02.2012 - 15:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
About reviews and their objectivity I urge everyone to read this http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=920
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.02.2012 - 15:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Reviews being objective? Hhahahahahahah nice joke dude.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.02.2012 - 21:35
Rating: 4
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Exciter0870 on 25.02.2012 at 15:05

I have to think some of you people miss the point on writing a review. You're supposed to be objective

No. No it isn't. At all. I suggest you look up the word "objectivity" in the dictionary before batting that word around with any review you disagree with. There is no way to make any kind of critical assessment of any kind of art objectively.

I swear to God, I lose more and more faith in humanity every time someone bitches about lack of objectivity in a review.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.02.2012 - 22:07
Winterthrone
Quote:
I swear to God, I lose more and more faith in humanity every time someone bitches about lack of objectivity in a review.

Well Doc, you are perfectly right on this one... The most objective reviewer is the one who admits his subjective bias in the first place and that's what you did. People can disagree with you on the rating and on musical tastes, but your review is legitimate and well explained so there is no problem here...You fanboys should realize taht Slash's golden years are far behind him IMO...
25.05.2012 - 11:31
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I seem to be the only one totally liking Myles on this CD I think the whole live CD is pretty swell, good car music and I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with Myles; even the opposite, I love hearing him do old GNR stuff.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
25.05.2012 - 12:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by AnGina-- on 25.05.2012 at 11:31

I seem to be the only one totally liking Myles on this CD

Not really, check other people here and you see some others enjoy his vocals, just not this album.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.05.2012 - 12:56
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.05.2012 at 12:39

Written by AnGina-- on 25.05.2012 at 11:31

I seem to be the only one totally liking Myles on this CD

Not really, check other people here and you see some others enjoy his vocals, just not this album.

I dig the album. Just got the DVD and I totally dig it too. I like it aaaalllll, Myles in general, Myles & Slash, this CD, DVD and Apocalyptic Love.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
24.07.2012 - 15:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Saw them last night, it was terrible, bored me to tears, Myles voice DOES NOT fit here.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 5640 | This month: 5