Album: Tort
Style: Sludge metal
Release date: January 2012

01. Vallaha
02. Cannibals Of Ma'arrat
03. Gnosis Of The Dead
04. Fire Rose Vampira
05. Earl Estruch

So you all got into Lurk, right? Yeah, same label. Coincidence? I think not. This is some more very interesting doom metal. Granted, it's not quite as great as Lurk, but comparing Tort to what might turn out to be one of the most beastly albums of 2012 is really unfair, and frankly irrelevant, as Tort's approach is vastly different. Either way, the Total Rust label really needs to start slowing down with these awesome releases, lest someone start suspecting this reviewer might just be on the take.

The press release read something like this; "Old school doom metal mixed with sludge and thrash..." Ok, doom + sludge = easy...then...wait, did they say thrash? That can't be possible, can it? Well, it turns out it can. It's all in the riffs. Some bands say "let's play thrash", other bands say "let's play doom". Tort, on the other hand, said "let's make totally evil music, and let it go where it wants". Some times you'll see some Bolt Thrower moments, other times you'll be hearing a sort of crusty death metal fused Sleep. The album is pretty seamless to boot. They never sound uncomfortable or out of their element with whatever they decide to play, whether it be bouncy, catchy doom, furious death metal, or those more trancey out-there moments. When taking this baby for a casual spin though, the change ups seem so natural it's not something that's noticed at first glance.

That's where the problem lies. Sure, Tort never sound particularly uncomfortable or inexperienced at their variation of styles, but they do sound a bit bored or aimless at times, as if they spread themselves a little too thin. The couple of tracks on here that play over 10 minutes are oddly the least noticeable in this aspect. Usually, long-ass songs means there are going to be moments where you'll want to hit fast forward, but those moments seem to arise more during the 3 shorter tracks in this case.

Honestly, a totally awesome album, if for nothing else, the ability to conquer this variety of styles so smoothly. Sure, a little more direct execution would have been appreciated, but I suppose you can't have it all.

Written on 14.02.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 192 users
14.02.2012 - 14:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Doom, Sludge and Thrash? Sounds like it could be a bit like Minotaur. Sounds interesting though (and cool cover artwork) and would be a nice accompaniment to that great Lurk record.
14.02.2012 - 16:50
Lokaeda
Account deleted
It could be nice to add some links where we can check the music, instead of just adding the band on MS and writting a review :3 just my opinion though
14.02.2012 - 17:54
Paz

Several of their songs are on yt, pretty good stuff.
14.02.2012 - 20:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 14.02.2012 at 14:39

Doom, Sludge and Thrash? Sounds like it could be a bit like Minotaur. Sounds interesting though (and cool cover artwork) and would be a nice accompaniment to that great Lurk record.

Iwas just going to mention Lair Of The Minotaur Definitely checking this out.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.02.2012 - 20:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
"Tort" means "Cake" in Romanian, so yeah, I might just enjoy this haha.
14.02.2012 - 21:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Valentin B on 14.02.2012 at 20:51

Adding an "a" on the band's name makes the spanish worf for cake as well This should be delicious.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.02.2012 - 21:48
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
The mentioning of it sounding like LOTM is enough to makle me want to check this out, not to mention the great review
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.02.2012 - 00:16
strade

I've been singing this label's praises forever, and now everybody's jumping on the bandwagon

No, but really, this band and small record label are both great. Can't wait to see what else Total Rust has in store for us...
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
16.02.2012 - 05:13
Enoch
Account deleted
Lurk might have a slight edge over Tort, but this is only a beginning of this rivalry.
17.02.2012 - 04:58
Rating: 9
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Another to check out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.02.2012 - 18:58
The Brown Umber

Where can i get a LEGAL digital copy of their album?

(edited by Bitter to include that all important adjective. )
17.02.2012 - 19:07
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Valentin B on 14.02.2012 at 20:51

In french it means "Wrong". May be you are picking it up a wrong stuff. so by that...never ever go with a mean of the word in any language.
19.03.2012 - 20:03
Slayer666

Contrary to my expectations after reading the review, I actually dig this shit. A lot.
Gonna have to check out Lurk as well, ASAP.
13.07.2012 - 05:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Tort means "twisted" per the band and an interview with Lords of Metal... the interview also revealed this gem,

Pim B - Right, that's it from my side. Anything else you want to add?

Tort - Thanks for the interview. We hope the album will be appreciated by most people. Others can get fucked by Matt Pike riding a mammoth.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.07.2012 - 10:52
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Man, I only remember to check these guys out when I'm at work.
Everything is fucking blocked at work!!!
Anyone kind enough to find me a non youtube/myspace/facebook link ?
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
30.12.2014 - 20:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
New album out very soon. oh happy day.
----

Hits total: 5201 | This month: 5