06. Wishing Well
07. Damages
08. Losing Battle
09. Dead Beat
10. Cutter
11. Slave Driver
12. Cruel Bloom
13. Wretched World

Converge has been around for a while, longer than I've been alive, so they know they don't have to beat around the bush. These guys play a mix of hard-core punk and metalcore that is absolutely delightful, with crazy riffs and shrieking vocals.

I actually downloaded this for my sister, believe it or not, as she is a fan of post-hardcore and hardcore punk, when it finished downloading I played the first track, just to see what it was like? Boy was I surprised, I actually enjoyed the music? I liked it a lot.

The bass and drum intro to the first track intrigued me, enough to give the entire album a listen. Upon further listening I found myself right in the middle of a headphone mosh, pushing and shoving imaginary scene kids in my room. This album consists of amazing guitar work, both in the high and the low range, with shredtastic mini-solos and crushing chorus breakdowns. The guitar backed by the drums makes a great combination; both are crazy technical and crazy fun to listen to.

One thing I noticed was that the vocals are like the bass in most other bands. No, they aren't deep and gurgling like some Finnish goregrind band, but they fade into the background; this I feel adds to the "full band" effect and you hear every instrument clearer than you would a normal album. The vocal work in particular isn't spectacular, but it sure as hell makes me want to headbang.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this album, considering the stuff that my sister usually listens to.

Highlights- "Dark Horse" and "Effigy"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Boxcar Willy | 15.02.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 46 users
15.02.2012 - 23:18
Rating: 10
Sonic MrSumo

Nice review...although I would've given Performance a 9 or 10 due to the sheer technical ability to play such relentless aggression. ;-)

I love this album...I think it's their finest work to date.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
16.02.2012 - 18:06
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Well, I personally believe there's a lot more to comment about this album. I would definitely give it a higher rating in terms of performance, they guys are almost untouchable nowdays really one of the bands that give Metalcore/hardcore a great name.

What I also love about this album which I think needs mention is how energetic everything begins but step by step get s a bit slower... ending with the beautiful and sometimes downright creepy last two songs (beautiful vocals by Steve Von Till of Neurosis fame on the track "Cruel Bloom). For some reason Wretched World gets me on the low side... There's an unheard heaviness on that track that brings me down.

I salute your sis for liking this.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.02.2012 - 21:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.02.2012 at 18:06

I salute your sis for liking this.

She actually didn't like it...

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.02.2012 - 21:38
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.02.2012 at 21:32

...Sorry pal, she can't be part of your family now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.02.2012 - 21:39
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.02.2012 at 21:38

Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.02.2012 at 21:32

...Sorry pal, she can't be part of your family now.

I'm fine with that.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 3073 | This month: 9