Metal Storm logo
Martyr

Original post

Posted by CrypticMyth, 18.05.2006 - 15:39
Martyr are probably one of the most technical bands in existance in the Metal Realm. Never have I ever seen so many aspects of music theory incorporated into Metal let alone Death Metal.
Coming to the band, they've released two studio albums, Hopeless Hopes and Warp Zone and one live album, Extracting The Core. They are due to release an album this year, most probably in September called Havoc.
Dan Mongrain is the frontman of the band. Well if you are unfamiliar with who this genius of a man is, you should know that he also plays/played for Gorguts, Quo Vadis, Capharnaum, and Cryptopsy. And yes, Martyr hail from the tech. death capital, Canada.
Both of their albums are really well done. Hopeless Hopes was what you may call an ordinary tech. death album (if there is such a thing ); but in Warp Zone, they stepped the technicality up by several notches. (notice the underline ). For me, Warp Zone is a better album, but just barely. Both albums are really catchy in a good way, and are filled with amazing bouts of musicmanship. This is an essential band for any technical death fan(-atic) like me, or people who are generally interested in Music Theory. I suggest even Prog-sters to give a go at this band.
31.07.2006 - 05:41
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i didnt know much about martyr until my bf showed them to me...i knew this was one of his favorite bands but i haven't stopped and heard them...im glad i did, because i actually began to like them alot...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
04.10.2006 - 13:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by miss_d on 08.06.2006 at 09:08

the only band named Martyr I know of are (or were?) from the czech republic
and are not so technical at all.

Actualy I know this band too I had hera them live songs and video in OCKO TV so ist death metal but about this Canadian band I had hera only ''Hopeless Hopes'' lets say Quo vadis was bette rin those days
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.10.2006 - 23:22
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Yeah a killer band no doubt .... all the albums are killer , the best IMO is hopeless hope ... one hell of a album ......
07.11.2006 - 02:35
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Well, their new album 'Feeding the Abscess' came out on October 31st. I didn't even realize it until today. They have a few tracks up on their myspace. Pretty killer if you ask me. Anyone?
----
The force will be with you, always.
07.11.2006 - 12:40
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
^ Yes , the new album is awesome. I was searching for the prototype kinda feeling in the album ( dumb me ) ... its not as brillaint as Hopeless Hopes but yes its another masterpiece by Martyr , with top notch solos and awesome riffing. Worth listening for all death metal lover , go go go and grab ur CD as soon as possible.
07.11.2006 - 23:33
rebelos
Account deleted
i only got Warp Zone but it's really good and unique
24.01.2007 - 02:33
Stigmatized
I think my favorite is Hopeless Hopes. The new album is great, but my least favorite.
05.02.2007 - 23:54
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
Martyr is fucking incredible. They are easily one of the most exciting technical death metal bands in the scene right now. 'Feeding the Abscess' is near the top of my list of CDs to pick up.
11.03.2007 - 00:28
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Ok, since I haven't visited this place in a while, I forgot about this thread. But anyhow, Feeding The Abscess is fucking brilliant! I don't know yet if it matches up to Warp Zone's flair and songsmanship, but it definitely does pack a lot of technicality! Perpetual Healing is one of my favorite songs.. The thing with Martyr is they manage to have a perfect formula for mixing the correct amounts of catchiness and technicality...
I have to give this album a lot more spins despite the fact that it has gotten almost constant rotation in my playlist since the day I got it...
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
04.05.2007 - 03:49
Stigmatized
Warp Zone review here.
03.03.2008 - 19:28
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
These guys are truly among the leaders of tech. death right now. I still have to purchase one of their albums, i love their stuff so much. I had the priviledge of seeing them in concert opening for Quo Vadis . I must say that the mosh pit for Martyr was one of the biggest and brutal i've been into, you would get out there wrecked. I'm very impressed with what this band has accomplished, and i agree with mvikred and cryptic myth, Man Must Die are a good band, but they still have a long path to go until they reach the potential of Martyr. I'm proud to live in a province where so many good bands come out of
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
04.03.2008 - 13:18
Cynicalatheist
Account deleted
After going through this thread , I decided to give " Hopeless Hopes " a listen. And boy, wasn't I in for a surprise ? What a supreme "tech-death" album it is ! Though I am finding it quite difficult to get accustomed to the vocals of Dan Mongrain, the work in the guitar department by this genius is really out of this world.
06.03.2008 - 23:32
totaliteraliter

There's only one band where I've actually fallen asleep at a concert... Martyr.
06.03.2008 - 23:37
ß
Problem?
I think this bands alright imo they sound good instrumentally but im not a big fan of the vocals.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
08.03.2008 - 20:42
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by totaliteraliter on 06.03.2008 at 23:32

There's only one band where I've actually fallen asleep at a concert... Martyr.

Ihave trouble believing you there, these guys are pretty fucking energetic live. When i saw them,they got the crowd going, everybody was going insane in the moshpit, Martyr knows how to kick it playing live.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
04.07.2015 - 23:23
drogarito

Http://agoraphobicnews.com/dan-mongrain-martyr.html interview with Dan Mongrain