Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica - Reveal New Album Details

Finnish power metallers Sonata Arctica have announced that their new album will be titled Stones Grow Her Name. The album was recorded in several studios throughout Finland, mixed by Mikko Karmilla at Sonic Pump Studios and mastered by Svante Forsbäck at Chartmakers. It will be released on May 18th via Nuclear Blast Records in a limited edition digipak, standard jewel case, vinyl and download. The artwork can be seen below.

Stones Grow Her Name tracklist:

01. Only The Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)
02. Shitload Of Money
03. Losing My Insanity
04. Somewhere Close To You
05. I Have A Right
06. Alone In Heaven
07. The Day
08. Cinderblox
09. Don't Be Mean
10. Wildfire II
11. Wildfire III

Source: sonataarctica.info
Band profile: Sonata Arctica
Posted: 20.02.2012 by bokimaniac

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 66   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 368 users
20.02.2012 - 22:55
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 20.02.2012 at 22:36

I don't really blame him for going soft, he had vocal problems and seems to have a good handle on his voice these days but he can't keep writing songs like Wolf And Raven or else the set list will become more demanding for him.

Nah, it's not about the vocal problems or anything, that has been fixed for two years now, it's just that, as dudes get older, they lose interest in playing a lot of metal. And having a stable position in life could mean you have less negative and angry emotions to release in music. And the same old thing really bores you too, on Unia, they were pretty much sick and tired of the old style.

Since they've got that boredom out of their system through a crazy album, and then played their softer aspects into all the crazy... dunno, I don't think this will be similar to either of the previous two albums. A slight return to the older style might occur, but in a softer mode and more playful. But I'd still like to see them going for something completely new. What I'd REALLY like to see is something totally metal and awesome, but I know you can't expect that from them now. So I'd settle for sickly dark and twisted but whatever it is, if it is good, I'll be pleased.

What I wouldn't like to see: Playing the symphonic aspect of TDoG further. That would be pretty crap, we don't need Nightwish part two.
----
7.0 means the album is good
20.02.2012 - 23:08
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by LordFezzington on 20.02.2012 at 22:43

I also can't believe Ecliptica wouldn't make everyone smile just a little bit...

I'm the biggest Sonata fan here but it doesn't make me smile a lot, though I admit it's quite a nice album... there are even a couple of (hit) songs I most strongly dislike on Ecliptica, which many consider a blasphemy, but their identity wasn't quite their own back then and I don't like that
----
20.02.2012 - 23:09
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 20.02.2012 at 22:55

Written by Guest on 20.02.2012 at 22:36

I don't really blame him for going soft, he had vocal problems and seems to have a good handle on his voice these days but he can't keep writing songs like Wolf And Raven or else the set list will become more demanding for him.

Nah, it's not about the vocal problems or anything, that has been fixed for two years now, it's just that, as dudes get older, they lose interest in playing a lot of metal. And having a stable position in life could mean you have less negative and angry emotions to release in music. And the same old thing really bores you too, on Unia, they were pretty much sick and tired of the old style.

Since they've got that boredom out of their system through a crazy album, and then played their softer aspects into all the crazy... dunno, I don't think this will be similar to either of the previous two albums. A slight return to the older style might occur, but in a softer mode and more playful. But I'd still like to see them going for something completely new. What I'd REALLY like to see is something totally metal and awesome, but I know you can't expect that from them now. So I'd settle for sickly dark and twisted but whatever it is, if it is good, I'll be pleased.

What I wouldn't like to see: Playing the symphonic aspect of TDoG further. That would be pretty crap, we don't need Nightwish part two.

That makes the most sense, it can happen to the best of them. Not me, though, I intend to kick ass to the grave Some sickly, dark and twisted thrown in there could be nice too.
20.02.2012 - 23:17
JakeTheSage

Written by Milena on 20.02.2012 at 20:50

To quote a person who is also a long-term Sonata fan, the titles are worse than ever, which means it will be a good album...

This is a lot more accurate than I like to admit. <_<

Anyway, this is a decent shot for my most anticipated 2012 album, so I'm excited to see where this goes considering the band's multiple shifts in style over the past few albums.
20.02.2012 - 23:18
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by Milena on 20.02.2012 at 23:08

there are even a couple of songs I don't like on Ecliptica, which many consider a blasphemy, but their identity wasn't quite their own back then and I don't like that

And you shall be cast into the lake of fire, to suffer eternal torment...

Seriously though - not really being much of a power metal aficionado these days, it's the only album of their's I ever really listen to anymore (in fairness the only other 2 I have are Reckoning Night and Unia). I still think the songwriting is v.good on Ecliptica.

Which songs are you not so keen on?
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
20.02.2012 - 23:21
blackend

OH MAN! THIS IS What I was longing for so much!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!
Sonata are back, they are fucking back!!!!
20.02.2012 - 23:24
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by JakeTheSage on 20.02.2012 at 23:17

This is a lot more accurate than I like to admit. <_<

Well, seriously, I mean... god, I'm going through their songtitles now, 50% of them is just... plain eow
----
20.02.2012 - 23:51
farfaramir

Don't trying to be rude, I love sonata and everything... But those names are waaaay to gay.

There, I said it.
21.02.2012 - 00:00
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Is anyone else excited but still said oh shit when hearing the title and seeing the art?
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
21.02.2012 - 00:08
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by LordFezzington on 20.02.2012 at 23:18

I really hate Kingdom and Destruction Preventer. I also dislike Blank File, but on the DVD it was excellent.
----
21.02.2012 - 00:10
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 21.02.2012 at 00:00

Is anyone else excited but still said oh shit when hearing the title and seeing the art?

Everyone is. But this is the third album I've done it so I'm not worried in the slightest
However, the titles are just the worst on this one. They've really outdone themselves
----
21.02.2012 - 00:14
Vombatus
Potorro
Being the only power metal I really care about nowadays, I'm interested in see what they do. Cover and most titles are awful, but part 2 & 3 of Wildfire gives hopes... the first part was one of my favs of Reckoning Night
21.02.2012 - 00:37
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by Milena on 21.02.2012 at 00:08

I really hate Kingdom

You're right about Destruction Preventer though!
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
21.02.2012 - 01:11
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Look at this appleheaded bitch on the cover. Sitting there all one-armed and whatnot. Awful.

Anyway, I will remain preemptively unimpressed until a sample song persuades me otherwise.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
21.02.2012 - 01:13
Promonex
Cathemeral

Written by Milena on 20.02.2012 at 23:08

there are even a couple of songs I don't like on Ecliptica, which many consider a blasphemy, but their identity wasn't quite their own back then and I don't like that

And you shall be cast into the lake of fire, to suffer eternal torment...

Seriously though - not really being much of a power metal aficionado these days, it's the only album of their's I ever really listen to anymore (in fairness the only other 2 I have are Reckoning Night and Unia).

Check out Winterheart's Guild. "The Ruins of My Life" and "Gravenimage" are two of their most somber songs while still having that power metal vibe of their early albums. "The Cage", "Victoria's Secret" and "Abandoned, ..." are very nice up-beat songs, the rest are fillers, but anyway, "Gravenimage" and "The Ruins..." alone make this their best album IMHO.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
21.02.2012 - 03:16
bamahammer
Account deleted
Very excite.
21.02.2012 - 05:29
Uller

Wow! no Name named song
----
21.02.2012 - 06:50
Void Eater
Account deleted
Shitload Of Money (ft. Lil Wayne)
21.02.2012 - 07:35
Dronewolf

The only SA album I really couldn't get into was Unia. I don;t know why, but I really did not like it. Everything else is amazing so I am looking forward to this!
21.02.2012 - 08:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Promonex on 21.02.2012 at 01:13

Check out Winterheart's Guild. "The Ruins of My Life" and "Gravenimage" are two of their most somber songs while still having that power metal vibe of their early albums. "The Cage", "Victoria's Secret" and "Abandoned, ..." are very nice up-beat songs, the rest are fillers, but anyway, "Gravenimage" and "The Ruins..." alone make this their best album IMHO.

Oh yes, WHG is the best "old" Sonata album... really great songs. Though I wouldn't call Champagne Bath and Draw Me fillers, they're among my fave songs.
----
21.02.2012 - 08:57
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by Dargor on 20.02.2012 at 21:15

A Wildfire trilogy? Veeeeeeeery interresting!

indeed!
21.02.2012 - 14:42
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Irritable Ted on 21.02.2012 at 09:53

So there are a lot of comments/guesses made on this thread with no evidence at all.

Well, just like on 50% of album news. I can tell you that most of Sonata's comments are pretty much vague anyway when Tony comments on it, he usually doesn't go much into detail, or they are mostly plain wrong when the journalists ask Henkka, because he's not very good at describing things

A weird theory just surfaced on their forum: "stones" is one of the names for seeds of peach trees. That thing on the cover is actually a peach. So there's the whole "growing" symbolism and pretty peach flowers and pastels and stuff. Quite a nice way to describe a girl. And of course there are wolves hidden on the cover just like on the previous one, I have yet to find the "small" wolves but the whole thing assumes a vague shape of a wolf's head.
----
21.02.2012 - 16:02
Constantine

I have a bad feeling about this. I don't expect much, but maybe there is a suprise on the way.
21.02.2012 - 17:20
Bocata Calamares

Wildfire was never one of my Reckoning Night's favourite songs, but I admit that the lyrics have always puzzled me. It will be interesting to hear the trilogy and dig deeper into the story.

On a side note, I am only posting because yesterday I dreamt that I was posting on MS...
21.02.2012 - 17:26
Enissa

Awesome cover, looking forward to it, especially "Shitload of Money"
21.02.2012 - 17:35
Baz Anderson

Looking forward to this of course!
21.02.2012 - 22:11
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Milena on 21.02.2012 at 00:08

I really hate Kingdom and Destruction Preventer.

IF I ONLY HAD A HEEEAAARRRT!

(or a good fashion sense)

(Duh fuck? Who let you dress yourself this morning, Tony?)
21.02.2012 - 23:44
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 21.02.2012 at 22:11

(or a good fashion sense)

He's a lot better now, this was in 2005. Or worse, depending on which period of "now" are we talking about

His ironic Hot Topic phase (fuck, I'm starting to think he's some sort of a proto hipster ) was often referred to as his "pyjama" phase. So he technically didn't dress himself, just roll out of a bed like that according to legend

Btw, since they're known to name their shit after weird shit anyway (yes, I do mean weird shit, almost every album name of theirs has some weird story behind it), maybe it's not a poetic way to describe a female by comparing her to peach flowers or growing nature, but some sort of a Mario reference they developed further on in the cover and title itself.
----
22.02.2012 - 00:09
John Shock

Nice cover there...
23.02.2012 - 23:38
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Milena on 21.02.2012 at 08:56

Written by Promonex on 21.02.2012 at 01:13

Oh yes, WHG is the best "old" Sonata album... really great songs. Though I wouldn't call Champagne Bath and Draw Me fillers, they're among my fave songs.

Ah, finally someone who does think WHG is their best 'old' album...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"

Hits total: 8122 | This month: 11