Metal Storm logo
Multi-Genre and Genre Defying Bands

Original post

Posted by thewaytonever, 23.02.2012 - 23:15
I am very interested in bands that break the genre barrier or lack a genre to truly classify them.
Examples:
Unexpect, In Vain, Into Eternity, and Akphaezya

If you know of any bands that fit this criteria please post a suggestion.
27.02.2012 - 16:24
moe5512
Shining [NOR] mixing jazz with prog and black metal
Wintersun playing some sort of "Winter Metal"
Kvelertak, nothing new with mixes of black metal and Hardcore punk but I think they do it more clearly than other bands
28.02.2012 - 03:24
Mad Arab666
Pulse by spiritual mixed new age music. Not sure if any other band has done that.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
29.02.2012 - 13:41
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Perfect examples would be:

Meshuggah
Ghost Brigade
Rosetta
01.03.2012 - 00:59
thewaytonever
I do enjoy strapping young lad from time to time. Perhaps I checked into the wrong Todtgelichter album because what I found was straight forward black metal. I have been meaning to look into Shining for quite a few years just haven't yet perhaps I should pursue that avenue.
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
02.03.2012 - 19:45
Children Of Bodom have been classified as: Black Metal, Melodeath and Power Metal. In reality, they created a new genre called Extreme Power Metal.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
03.03.2012 - 01:23
thewaytonever
Written by Infernal Eternal on 02.03.2012 at 19:45

Children Of Bodom have been classified as: Black Metal, Melodeath and Power Metal. In reality, they created a new genre called Extreme Power Metal.

Yeah I'll pass I liked 2 songs by them but that was it
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
03.03.2012 - 01:47
Savopipo

I would call COB finnish power metal with a punk attitude .. how's that for a genre?
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
03.03.2012 - 01:52
Savopipo
Written by thewaytonever on 01.03.2012 at 00:59

I do enjoy strapping young lad from time to time. Perhaps I checked into the wrong Todtgelichter album because what I found was straight forward black metal. I have been meaning to look into Shining for quite a few years just haven't yet perhaps I should pursue that avenue.

"Strapping young lad"??? sounds a bit kinky to me. What about GG Allin and the murder junkies?
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
04.03.2012 - 14:17
Written by Savopipo on 03.03.2012 at 01:47

I would call COB finnish power metal with a punk attitude .. how's that for a genre?

I don't really care about their genre. I like their music, especially their first 2 albums.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
04.03.2012 - 14:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Savopipo on 03.03.2012 at 01:47

I don't see any punk attitude in CoB at all
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.03.2012 - 17:46
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Lamb of god is kind of generic but i saw someone mention it Alternative thrash. That is quite appropriate. Gojira and Devin townsend are in equal parts, very hard to label as well.
30.10.2013 - 23:37
coldwithin
I know this thread is kind of dead but i just happened upon it. A band that has been rather a success for me is Twelve Foot Ninja. They have a very unique sound and switch genres flawlessly. A great example of this is the song "Coming for you".