225 have it
14 want it
1 trades it

01. Nowhere
02. At Last
03. Inside The Fall
04. Untrue [2013 reissue bonus]

Additional info
Recorded at Sunlight Studio, Stockholm, Sweden 1997.
Engineered by Tomas Skogsberg & Fred Estby.
Mixed by Tomas Skogsberg.
Released on Avantgarde Music.
The front cover is a screenshot of a decrepit god, taken from the movie Begotten.
Produced by Katatonia.

In the sleeve of 2013 reissue Anders Nyström confesses that the first version of this EP sounded too raw (the reason for which is that it was recorded in a drunken state), and so they decided to re-record it. The only song left from the first version is Untrue, which is a bonus track on the reissue. Also, actually it was Nyström who recorded all the guitars and bass for this record, but Fredrik Norrmann got his credit anyways.

Guest review by
Allen
Rating:
This three song EP sees Katatonia staying true to the formula found on their previous album, Brave Murder Day, where the band relied on minimalist song structures as a foundation for their themes of solitude and isolation.
The same lineup is present here, with Mikael from Opeth once again handling harsh vocals, which would mean all of the vocals on this EP. For the first time Katatonia would record outside of Dan Swano's Unisound, namely Sunlight Studios with Tomas Skogsberg. And it is the production that really makes an impact on first listen of this disc, as Katatonia's sound would be given a healthy amount of power and heaviness, most noticeable in the drums, where the bass drum can actually be felt as well as heard. The guitars are given a thickness that they've never really had and the whole presentation is very live sounding and heavy.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (2)

Found in 5 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 237 users
25.02.2012 - 23:08
musicalkaratekid

There may only be three songs here, but this is one hell of a good way to follow an album as ambitious and atmospheric as 'brave murder day'. Mikael Akerfeldt does vocals (which may prove to some as a distinctive highlight), but i believe the real talent here is found within the guitar work.
17.06.2013 - 01:06
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Very good EP, lots of great guitar work and excellent growls courtesy of Mikael Akerfeldt. "Inside the Fall" is a highlight for me, I especially love the intro and outro to the song specifically.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.08.2014 - 16:13
Rating: 9
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Some more of that delicious music from Brave Murder Day. Inside the Fall is a true highlight for me. But Nowhere and At Last also sound great. And the reissue bonus track sounds a bit raw but pretty cool too.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
18.09.2014 - 23:02
Rating: 9
Erik M.

Yeah, initially I thought these songs belonged to Brave Murder Day itself, which only goes to show how similar in style and quality these songs are. Might be my favourite EP ever seeing as Brave Murder Day is a masterpiece and even improves due to the addition of these songs.
21.03.2016 - 22:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Erik M. on 18.09.2014 at 23:02

Yeah, initially I thought these songs belonged to Brave Murder Day itself, which only goes to show how similar in style and quality these songs are. Might be my favourite EP ever seeing as Brave Murder Day is a masterpiece and even improves due to the addition of these songs.

I have to agree, anyway this is last I like from this band, when I heard this I knew its sad story somehow, it has feeling even we know future but still
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.03.2016 - 22:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Erik M. on 18.09.2014 at 23:02

I have to agree, anyway this is last I like from this band, when I heard this I knew its sad story somehow, it has feeling even we know future but still
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 8650 | This month: 10