Metal Storm logo
Shadows Fall

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 27.10.2006 - 04:14
One of My Favorite bands, as I am sure those who have become familliar with my posting have learned pretty Clearly, and one of the bands responsible for getting me into Metal, I feel that they Deserve a disscusion. Go ahead, talk about Former members, Current members, albums, Likes, Dislikes, whatever, as long as it pertains to the Subject.
20.01.2008 - 10:48
deadset61
Account deleted
This band is ok but its like a lot of metalcore its boring and unoriginal and same with the new "melodic" thrash style they have taken. Probably wont be getting anything by these guys for awhile.
15.03.2008 - 17:46
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
So, what does everyone think about the re-releasing/remastering of "Of One Blood"?
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
15.03.2008 - 23:52
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think it's a good idea. The production on that album could use a boost, but I'm not planning on buying it.
16.03.2008 - 02:58
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Dangerboner on 15.03.2008 at 23:52

I think it's a good idea. The production on that album could use a boost, but I'm not planning on buying it.

Eh, I thought it was fine the way it was, and besides, even remastered it doesn't sound that different anyway. All they're doing is removing Dave Germain's parts and replacing them with Jason Bitner on the recording (though germain of course will always have credit for the writing of it.)
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

15.11.2008 - 03:36
Gigginova
Account deleted
Wow, haven't listened to these guys in years but wow they're so good and so skilled! Nice sound!

to call them Metalcore is almost like an insult.
15.11.2008 - 09:02
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Great band. Way to rep USA!!

Fav song: The Light that Blinds
15.11.2008 - 14:56
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
This band has potential with me. They have great musicians. The only problem for me is the vocalist. I just don't like his vocal style.
----
Coldgrits
20.11.2008 - 23:24
enemy_within
Account deleted
I was really into them until they released Fallout From The War. Ever since that sucky album (IMO), they've gone down hill.
21.11.2008 - 01:40
thefadedline
Their first couple were pretty good. nice and raw sounding. technically the first metal band i ever watched live too as they were the first support at my first concert. the last album i heard from them was 'the war within' which i thought was ok but a bit of a let-down.
----
Relax and let the seat take the battery
25.01.2009 - 22:36
Gigginova
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.01.2008 at 10:48

This band is ok but its like a lot of metalcore its boring and unoriginal and same with the new "melodic" thrash style they have taken. Probably wont be getting anything by these guys for awhile.

They are clumped into the Metalcore scene, but they don't really sound like Metalcore though.
27.01.2009 - 04:20
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 25.01.2009 at 22:36

Written by Guest on 20.01.2008 at 10:48

They are clumped into the Metalcore scene, but they don't really sound like Metalcore though.

Frankly, it depends on the classification. While there is no denying that they were majorly influenced by thrash and melodic death metal (Which is actually what their first two albums were) they also were very influenced by the hardcore/crossover scene in massachusetts, and that infleuence began to show on their second album, and became even more appearent of their next two. It doesn't mean that they're a bad band, or that Metalcore is even a bad subgenre of metal, it just means that Shadows Fall is living proof that in any genre or subgenre, there are always those bands with potential that you Just need to look for. Shadows Fall, God Forbid, All That Remains, and Darkest Hour are all great bands, especially with their early to mid career releases, and they are all metalcore, whether or not other influencs show through with the unique quality of their sound.

I dunno, long story short, who gives shit. Shadows Fall kicks ass
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.01.2009 - 04:25
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 20.11.2008 at 23:24

I was really into them until they released Fallout From The War. Ever since that sucky album (IMO), they've gone down hill.

Fallout from the war was pretty "meh" for me. It was definitly a letdown, but then again, it was a bunch of B-sides from The War Within, which as was awsome. So of course the songs that didn't make the cut weren't going to be quite up to par. Deadworld also in my opinion is an amazing song, granted that it was actually on the Demo they submitted to get on Century Media and they released it earlier in their career on a live EP (Which is now out of print.) But what really killed it for me was threads of life. All i gotta say to describe that album is "Biggest letdown of 2007".
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

13.09.2009 - 22:39
Meep
Account deleted
New album is so good it hurts.
14.10.2009 - 08:30
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 13.09.2009 at 22:39

New album is so good it hurts.

From what i've heard from it, it's a big step up from the last album, and it's pretty tight. Unfortunatly, the single "still I rise" has a bunch of shitty winy vocals on it. The way the first track leads into the second is pretty good though....I think I feel a review coming on.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

14.10.2009 - 08:45
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
But their cover of "Bark at the moon" is pretty shitty. Well, instrumentally they didn't really botch it or anything, but Brian Fair (especially new, shitty Brian Fair) doesn't really suit to well to ozzy's voice.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.11.2011 - 03:18
second_coming89
Account deleted
I can't see howcome "The War Within" sold more copies than "The Art Of Balance"......I own them both and "The War Within" cannot hold a candle to "The Art Of Balance"! Like, to me it's not even a question, The clean vocals ruin alot of the album for me.

.....Maybe it's because it's more Metalcore that it sold more (hey, I just answered my own question!)
23.11.2011 - 06:08
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
The Art Of Balance is a great album. It is probably Shadows Fall's finest hour.