Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards - Results Are In!

So February, Leap Day and all, has come and gone. Your votes have been tallied and your winners have been announced. You can find the results here.

Feel free to discuss the results below.

Metal Storm Staff
Posted: 01.03.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments page 6 / 10

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 273   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 1041 users
01.03.2012 - 23:25
Nunzie 69
Written by Unhealer on 01.03.2012 at 22:10

Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 21:35

November's Doom in the melodeth category,Symphony X in the prog,Machine Head in the thrash........I'm not saying where to place them all,but is Iconoclast more of a prog album then Deconstruction? Is Mastodon's The Hunter a true sludge album?

I believe Deconstruction belongs in avant-garde, that was correct.
And SyX is prog even if they have this heavy metal approach now, I which other category would you put it?

And Mastodon is in a fine line between prog and sludge, but I really don't mind them being in sludge.

Written by DraconionDevil on 01.03.2012 at 21:50

How on Earth is Machine Head ahead of Vektor on the best thrash of the year? Machine Head is barely thrash. I wouldn't even classify them as thrash in the true sense of the word. They're a pretty worthless band if you ask me.

I won't question MH's quality as a band. But yeah, my opinion (and of a lot of users, for what I've seen) is that they don't fit thrash at all.
And their current style on their MS profile is "Progressive Thrash".

Mastodon and Symphony X are only in those categories because of prior albums.Mastodon hasn't made a sludge album since "Blood Mountain".I would put Iconoclast in the Heavy/Melodic Metal category as well as Iced Earth.Amorphis belongs in the Folk metal spot.......o.k I'm getting a headache !!!
01.03.2012 - 23:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

November's Doom in the melodeth category,Symphony X in the prog,Machine Head in the thrash........I'm not saying where to place them all,but is Iconoclast more of a prog album then Deconstruction? Is Mastodon's The Hunter a true sludge album?

No offence dude, none at all believe me... but that part of your comment kind of takes away any credibility I would give to your comment.
It's like those activist running on the streets wanting change of some sort but without any suggestions.

Also... Please note that the category is sludge/stoner. I personally hear a good chunk of stoner in Mastodon's latest that doesn't take a lot to hear. There's no sludge, true... But the basic stoner sound is pretty much there to be heard.
There are some albums there that are mostly stoner too.... Because the catecory is for both stoner and sludge bands.

I don't see any problems with the other bands for example. It's really obvious that Novembers Doom has changed style over the years (just like you said Mastodon did!)...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.03.2012 - 23:34
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 23:25

Mastodon and Symphony X are only in those categories because of prior albums.Mastodon hasn't made a sludge album since "Blood Mountain".I would put Iconoclast in the Heavy/Melodic Metal category as well as Iced Earth.Amorphis belongs in the Folk metal spot.......o.k I'm getting a headache !!!

Nah, those albums have tendencies to those styles but I believe the essence of the band is still there.

Probably Crack The Skye wasn't sludge at all, but The Hunter has a decent amount of sludge.
And SyX is heavy/melodic now as it was power metal in the past, but the prog factor rules over both.

And I have zero knowlegde on Amorphis, so that one shall pass.
01.03.2012 - 23:47
theFIST
How could chthonic win the melodic black category?
do they have any black elements?
had they won the folk category i"d accept it, but melodic black?????
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
01.03.2012 - 23:51
Nunzie 69
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2012 at 23:33

No offence dude, none at all believe me... but that part of your comment kind of takes away any credibility I would give to your comment.
It's like those activist running on the streets wanting change of some sort but without any suggestions.

Also... Please note that the category is sludge/stoner. I personally hear a good chunk of stoner in Mastodon's latest that doesn't take a lot to hear. There's no sludge, true... But the basic stoner sound is pretty much there to be heard.
There are some albums there that are mostly stoner too.... Because the catecory is for both stoner and sludge bands.

I don't see any problems with the other bands for example. It's really obvious that Novembers Doom has changed style over the years (just like you said Mastodon did!)...

It's not where to place these bands that was the original argument,it was to keep the categories ,but also have a overall favorite,since lots of these bands cross genres anyway,it would be nice to know what album stood out,Why can't there be a METAL ABUM OF THE YEAR?
01.03.2012 - 23:54
jsoft
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2012 at 23:25

Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 18:49

Talking about Aphotic, in my opinion their sound is clearly doom. I don't hear much symphonic parts, comparing to Surtur Rising or New World Shadows.

So you are saying that melodeath bands must have symphonic elements in thir music?

Not exactly. Melodeath bands, if they want, could incorpore any kind of elements in their music.
But to me November's Doom is doom with some other elements. To you, NB probably is a melodeath with doom elements.
01.03.2012 - 23:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Nunzie 69 on 01.03.2012 at 23:51
Why can't there be a METAL ABUM OF THE YEAR?

I personally don't like that idea at all tbh. I wouldn't be able to compare a Black Metal album with a stoner/sluge one, or grindcore with doom metal... And no one wll in general. That will also turn up to be an even more biased category because people would just vote for the band that comes from the genre they like the most. Extreme Metal isn't as popular as the melodic ones so I can't even imagine a doom, grindcore or black album ever winning that category.

Written by jsoft on 01.03.2012 at 23:54
Not exactly. Melodeath bands, if they want, could incorpore any kind of elements in their music.
But to me November's Doom is doom with some other elements. To you, NB probably is a melodeath with doom elements.

Well, matter of different opinions, what can you do about them?
____

PS: Thank you both for not being assholes about it. Makes discussions so much better.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.03.2012 - 00:27
Nunzie 69
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2012 at 23:58

I personally don't like that idea at all tbh. I wouldn't be able to compare a Black Metal album with a stoner/sluge one, or grindcore with doom metal... And no one wll in general. That will also turn up to be an even more biased category because people would just vote for the band that comes from the genre they like the most. Extreme Metal isn't as popular as the melodic ones so I can't even imagine a doom, grindcore or black album ever winning that category.

____

PS: Thank you both for not being assholes about it. Makes discussions so much better.

Example:I went to high school in the late 80's(yeah I'm old ).Metal was in it's prime.Every year an album would come out that stood out amongst all others no matter the category,"Master Of Puppets" one year."Piece Of Mind" before that.Most fans listen to multi genres of Metal anyway so why can't we vote for a favorite and let the the cards lie where they fall.Kind of reminds me of American college football,there is never a true champion.I consider my self mostly a thrash fan but personally Devon Townsend's album topped my list.Just think it would be interesting.
02.03.2012 - 01:18
SelfXPlanetOrE
Wolves in the Throne Room shouldn't be ahead of Fen. WITTR is from the U.S making them inferior to Fen, who are from Europe. True black metal fans know that the U.S is successful at freedom and obesity, but not always black metal.
02.03.2012 - 01:32
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by SelfXPlanetOrE on 02.03.2012 at 01:18

Wolves in the Throne Room shouldn't be ahead of Fen. WITTR is from the U.S making them inferior to Fen, who are from Europe. True black metal fans know that the U.S is successful at freedom and obesity, but not always black metal.

You're adorable.

Edit: In case you missed the tone of my post, I just reacted instinctively to the extreme stereotype you pulled out of your ass - that is a load of crap, sorry.
----
7.0 means the album is good
02.03.2012 - 01:59
Jay M
Well I am New here but I just wanted to Congratulate Whitesnake / David Coverdale and the Fine Gents of the Band on winning Your Wonderful "Hard Rock Album of the Year" Award!! ALL the Guys worked Very Hard on this Album, and are Deserving of such an honor! I personally saw them in concert last Summer in my "Neck of the Woods" and it was Indeed a Marvelous Show! As I have told David many time at His official web site. If You haven't had a listen to this album "Forevermore" yet, I Highly suggest You Do! 'Tiz ALL the GREAT things that have made Whitesnake the Band that it is today! 1,000 Thanks to ALL the fine folks who made this possible!
So, in Closing, I say, CHEERS!!! To a Job WELL Done!!
Thanks, I'll Catch Ya Later, Jay.
02.03.2012 - 02:15
Moonpie3
AWESOME news about Whitesnake- Forevermore. They really deserve this, they are my favorite!!!:thumbup:
02.03.2012 - 02:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

you're a hoot just because WITTR are from the US they don't desreve to be voted over Fen please crawl back under you rock and die very slowly. So NOW FUCK OFF AND DIE you intolernt FUCK
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2012 - 02:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

simple Novembers Doom has nothing to do with doom anymore it is purelt melodeath, Symphony X is still as prog as they used to be and Machine Head is thrash IS thrash albeit modern thrash now you betere go back to your metal 101 classs and learn about subgenres. Mastodon is still sludge albeit totally sludge lught but now Mastodon has mor e stoner in their sound than before so totally stoner/sludge.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2012 - 03:14
Nunzie 69
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.03.2012 at 02:55

simple Novembers Doom has nothing to do with doom anymore it is purelt melodeath, Symphony X is still as prog as they used to be and Machine Head is thrash IS thrash albeit modern thrash now you betere go back to your metal 101 classs and learn about subgenres. Mastodon is still sludge albeit totally sludge lught but now Mastodon has mor e stoner in their sound than before so totally stoner/sludge.

Learn my subgenres? Metal 101? You don't even know who your talking too.Iconoclast is as prog as Metallica's black album was thrash.Really can it be possible that Symphony X and Leprous are in the same category.To reduce The Hunter as simply a stoner/sludge album is just silly,there are so many elements going on there,can you really say that album is in the same genre as say Fu Manchu.Anyway maybe try proving a point without insulting people.Later
02.03.2012 - 03:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Nunzie 69 on 02.03.2012 at 03:14

Learn my subgenres? Metal 101? You don't even know who your talking too.

Yes I do, somehone who clearly doesn't know know Novembers Doom moved on from doom to melodic death with some slight doom influences and that Symphony X is still prog and that Mastodom is sludge light mixed in with some slitght stoner and even some slight prog.
Still seems you need to learn about your subgenres and get back to metal 101
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2012 - 03:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Saying USBM is flat out inferior to european BM is akin to saying US beer is flat out inferior to European beer. it's the company line for the know-nothing.

no one region is better or worse. all have mediocre bands, and i imagine all have some awesome acts.

i'm not going to bother listing the US acts here, as it has been done ad nauseam all over this website whenever someone espouses that tired viewpoint.

i will say it is hilarious to read a 15yo talk about "true black metal fans"

troll or moron - not sure which, but full o fail either way.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.03.2012 - 04:09
@gent_-_orange

I would think a "True Black Metal Fan" wouldn't give a shit where the band was from, As long as the music is good, Or is this just a troll that has went over my head?
02.03.2012 - 04:51
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
The results are mostly predictable. Though, I'm a bit surprised that 5 of the albums I voted for won in their respective categories. I expected much less, given that almost half of my votes were write-ins.
I'm especially happy for Chthonic and Vallenfyre. Those bands deserve attention.
And I'm also glad that Opeth's "Heritage" still made it into top 8 in Progressive Metal category despite not being nominated. I don't care that lots of people hate this album. My personal opinion is it's more progressive than most of the albums that got nominated this year.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
02.03.2012 - 09:09
Evican
Ann O'War
Strongly disagree with: Devin Townsend - Deconstruction. Unexpect should have won it, or if not at least come in a VERY close second.
02.03.2012 - 09:09
JCJen7
Written by NocturnalStalker on 02.03.2012 at 04:51

The results are mostly predictable. Though, I'm a bit surprised that 5 of the albums I voted for won in their respective categories. I expected much less, given that almost half of my votes were write-ins.
I'm especially happy for Chthonic and Vallenfyre. Those bands deserve attention.
And I'm also glad that Opeth's "Heritage" still made it into top 8 in Progressive Metal category despite not being nominated. I don't care that lots of people hate this album. My personal opinion is it's more progressive than most of the albums that got nominated this year.

I guess musically so. But, stylistically, it was nearly the opposite of progressive, considering it pushed nearly no boundaries, and was a slightly altered take on music bands were making 40 years ago. I still really enjoyed it though.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
02.03.2012 - 09:41
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 02.03.2012 at 03:46

Saying USBM is flat out inferior to european BM is akin to saying US beer is flat out inferior to European beer.

I'd have to agree with the second part of this sentence
02.03.2012 - 10:37
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by JCJen7 on 02.03.2012 at 09:09

But, stylistically, it was nearly the opposite of progressive, considering it pushed nearly no boundaries, and was a slightly altered take on music bands were making 40 years ago. I still really enjoyed it though.

There comes the difference between progressive music and prog music... in the root of prog music is this so called progression, but if you play something equal to any prog bands from 40 years ago, you're still a progressive rock band... only a really unoriginal one
----
02.03.2012 - 10:41
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Nunzie 69 on 02.03.2012 at 03:14

Anyway maybe try proving a point without insulting people.

In Marcel's defense, he was drunk but still, Symphony X and Leprous are two different kinds of prog. They both have some "outside" genre influences, SyX maybe has more of them, but... it's prog. It just is, primarily, it is prog. Don't know how can't you see it.
----
02.03.2012 - 11:20
Svneatr
Vitharr
Written by Nunzie 69 on 02.03.2012 at 00:27

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.03.2012 at 23:58

____

Example:I went to high school in the late 80's(yeah I'm old ).Metal was in it's prime.Every year an album would come out that stood out amongst all others no matter the category,"Master Of Puppets" one year."Piece Of Mind" before that.Most fans listen to multi genres of Metal anyway so why can't we vote for a favorite and let the the cards lie where they fall.Kind of reminds me of American college football,there is never a true champion.I consider my self mostly a thrash fan but personally Devon Townsend's album topped my list.Just think it would be interesting.

You could just look at the highest voted album of year, In this case, Septic Flesh's "The Great Mass". You could make the arguement that as the highest rated, it is regarded as album of the year.
02.03.2012 - 11:39
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Daniell on 01.03.2012 at 12:57

Written by Slayer666 on 01.03.2012 at 12:04

I'm either an oracle, or the MS Awards are predictable as fuck.
Seriously, the only winner I didn't see coming was Falloch (expected Alrakis or Lantlos).

If you posted a list of your predictions a week ago, your words could have had some merit. Now that the results are in, anyone can claim that they predicted them. And all such claims are equally preposterous.

To balance such claims, let me tell you that I guessed only 3 winners

I did. And apparently had 12 right. I would have had 13, but I thought people didn't like In Flames anymore.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.03.2012 - 11:58
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl

no one region is better or worse. all have mediocre bands, and i imagine all have some awesome acts.

i will say it is hilarious to read a 15yo talk about "true black metal fans"

Regon/country doesn't mean shit these days, anyway.
15 years old would mean that he wasn't even born when black metal was "true", right?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.03.2012 - 12:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by DraconionDevil on 01.03.2012 at 21:50

How on Earth is Machine Head ahead of Vektor on the best thrash of the year? Machine Head is barely thrash. I wouldn't even classify them as thrash in the true sense of the word. They're a pretty worthless band if you ask me.

Look disappointments are mutual bor. I was also expecting Vektor/Havok having a winning crown on them(although i voted for Havok!) but Unto the Locust wasn't that bad album too. you temme....How could a mainstream band having a great discography history and then ruling US charts with their latest output couldn't have knocked off?! they bound to getta lot of votes and they did get it. Matter of fact, I think people didn't listen much Thrash in 2011...they just came in that cate. saw the Machine Head names...and baaaam! they went for that. i think that is utter bullshit if this happened. but.... disappointments heavily prevails.
02.03.2012 - 12:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Daniell on 02.03.2012 at 09:41

Saying USBM is flat out inferior to european BM is akin to saying US beer is flat out inferior to European beer.

I'd have to agree with the second part of this sentence

then you clearly have no clue about American beers. I'd dare say currently they are superior to European beers. Of course not talking about Budweiser and such but then again Heineken and Grolsch, Jupiler etc suck just as hard at being beer.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.03.2012 - 12:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by theFIST on 01.03.2012 at 23:47

How could chthonic win the melodic black category?
do they have any black elements?
had they won the folk category i"d accept it, but melodic black?????

Well, i was waiting someone to point a finger on this and yeah they won the Melodic Black category. so what? Strike 1: to be brutally honest they gotta very weak nominees this year, Strike 2: Takasago Army was an exceptional album portraying anger, hate towards bastardized politics and little corruption prevailing in encroaching few songs...made that album very unique and innovative. Chthonic came a long way to give a justice to their fans that they are(upcoming?) real players of Meloblack scene. and wait...Folk? Are you serious?! I think you need to listen that album again. IMO they deserves it. Well, close to that I think it was supposed to be "Thurisaz - The Cimmerian Years" but psst..they landed on 3rd spot..which was to me like Meh. Anyways, Strike 3: it was a great win for Chthonic.

Hits total: 15187 | This month: 20