Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards - Results Are In!

So February, Leap Day and all, has come and gone. Your votes have been tallied and your winners have been announced. You can find the results here.

Feel free to discuss the results below.

Metal Storm Staff
Posted: 01.03.2012 by BitterCOld

Comments page 8 / 10

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 273   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 1041 users
03.03.2012 - 20:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Edmund Fogg on 03.03.2012 at 17:34

Written by theFIST on 03.03.2012 at 14:04

they use folk elements in their songs
of course you won"t see it like that if you only count european folk as such, but not the eastern asian that one should rather expect from a folk metal band there

They use elements of their own folklore in their music.

That is exactly what constitutes folk music. World music = folk music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2012 - 20:31
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 03.03.2012 at 03:28

What happened to the drama award? They were funny.

There was no big drama this year.
----
7.0 means the album is good
03.03.2012 - 22:37
Rog-Mothoth
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 03.03.2012 at 20:19

Written by Rog-Mothoth on 01.03.2012 at 02:38

Now im just glad i dont have to see Septicflesh at the top of 11' every day
(lost to MH unseprisingly but 2nd place is not bad at all and i call it a win in my book), i just didnt feel the urge or time to discover new albums....which i'll definately do this year to compensate.

Check out Havok's Time is Up and probably your taste in thrash will more grew.

I already checked out a few of thier songs and i really like it but will listen more
----
Written by Guest on 25.08.2011 at 06:44

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.08.2011 at 01:04

EVERYBODY CALM DOWN.

... I can hear your prog boners from here. D:<

Liar... Everyone knows the only way to sense a boner is by smell D:<
03.03.2012 - 22:41
Edmund Fogg
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2012 at 20:24

That is exactly what constitutes folk music. World music = folk music.

I thought (at least in the Metal scene) Folk reffered to nordic folklore and every other would count in world music
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
04.03.2012 - 02:00
ripped_bong
40 watt sun won atleast
04.03.2012 - 02:44
omjaimes
omjaimes
Written by basquetal on 01.03.2012 at 01:37

In gothic metal Draconian only won because of the fame, the second Abyss masterpiece - Heavenwood album is much better

agree with you! without doubt
04.03.2012 - 02:54
omjaimes
omjaimes
I would like to see a list of favorites from Staff Members, surely many users voted without really listening to each album, they just chose their favorite bands as expected
04.03.2012 - 03:33
Edmund Fogg
Written by theFIST on 03.03.2012 at 17:49

So you see every folk music except of the one in your area as world music?
that doesn"t make sense

Even the one in my area (Canada) I consider as world music and not folk. I'm not saying it makes any sense, just the way I see it. Just like it doesn't make sense to have a genre named after a city, but Gothenburg still exist.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
04.03.2012 - 10:03
theFIST
Written by Edmund Fogg on 04.03.2012 at 03:33

Written by theFIST on 03.03.2012 at 17:49

So you see every folk music except of the one in your area as world music?
that doesn"t make sense

Even the one in my area (Canada) I consider as world music and not folk. I'm not saying it makes any sense, just the way I see it. Just like it doesn't make sense to have a genre named after a city, but Gothenburg still exist.

well, i"m not for calling it gothenburg either.....
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
04.03.2012 - 12:01
Abattoir
Staff
The post-metal battle was pretty close one as expected...unfortunately the winner is not my favourite, but still
04.03.2012 - 12:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Abattoir on 04.03.2012 at 12:01

The post-metal battle was pretty close one as expected...unfortunately the winner is not my favourite, but still

Who did you want to win?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.03.2012 - 13:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 10:03

Then what? And please don't say melodic death because that one is totally different to Gothenburg, seeing Gothenburg has nothing to do with death metal
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2012 - 13:29
theFIST
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2012 at 13:10

Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 10:03

Then what? And please don't say melodic death because that one is totally different to Gothenburg, seeing Gothenburg has nothing to do with death metal

well, why not call melodic bands that are clearly not death metal simply melodic metal?
that would describe their sound in a way that someone who hasn"t heard any of it would already roughly know what to expect
----
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
04.03.2012 - 13:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 13:29

well, why not call melodic bands that are clearly not death metal simply melodic metal?
that would describe their sound in a way that someone who hasn"t heard any of it would already roughly know what to expect

I don't see the problem with calling band Gothenburg sine the bands lumped in there more or less share the same sound (which, suprise surprise, originated in Gothenburg) whereas when you look at NWOBHM the sound varies way too much too lump them in together, and of course originally the NWOBHM tag was only used to describe British band that came to the fore in a certain period of time (hence Judas Priest, Motorhead not being NWOBHM)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2012 - 13:49
theFIST
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2012 at 13:32

I don't see the problem with calling band Gothenburg sine the bands lumped in there more or less share the same sound (which, suprise surprise, originated in Gothenburg) whereas when you look at NWOBHM the sound varies way too much too lump them in together, and of course originally the NWOBHM tag was only used to describe British band that came to the fore in a certain period of time (hence Judas Priest, Motorhead not being NWOBHM)

if you apply that to other genres it gives you weird results, for example most of the well known early thrash bands were from the bay area, why not call the genre bay area metal?
----
04.03.2012 - 13:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by theFIST on 04.03.2012 at 13:49

if you apply that to other genres it gives you weird results, for example most of the well known early thrash bands were from the bay area, why not call the genre bay area metal?

There is such a thing as Bay Area Thrash which includes those bands and also Artillery because they clearly had their sound from that area.
And from the biog four of thrash not a single band originated in the Bay Area Although Metallica relocated there early on when Cliff joined
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2012 - 14:21
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Neurotech should win the cyber and debut MS award, that was a real dissapointment that they didn't.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
04.03.2012 - 15:33
s_t_s
Glad to see In Flames back after releasing some crap (it's not up to Soundtrack to Your escape yet but I don't expect them to come back to that style).

SeptiFlesh and Amon Amarth grow stronger with every new release, just love them !

Big up to Fleshgod Apocalypse Agony, an album and band I have recently discovered and that I REALLY enjoy a lot !!

I think All Shall Perish could have been in the results too :/
04.03.2012 - 17:16
The Galactician
Written by omjaimes on 04.03.2012 at 02:44

Written by basquetal on 01.03.2012 at 01:37

In gothic metal Draconian only won because of the fame, the second Abyss masterpiece - Heavenwood album is much better

agree with you! without doubt

Very much agree as well. I love that Heavenwood album and really don't get Draconian at all.
04.03.2012 - 17:57
Reaper_Redeemer
I was very dissapointed about melodeath category. I am tired to see Amon amarth winning there , even now that an excellent album "one for sorrow" in front of surtur rising, was in the 2nd seat...
04.03.2012 - 18:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by omjaimes on 04.03.2012 at 02:54

I would like to see a list of favorites from Staff Members, surely many users voted without really listening to each album, they just chose their favorite bands as expected

those will be forthcoming.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.03.2012 - 18:51
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 04.03.2012 at 17:57

I was very dissapointed about melodeath category. I am tired to see Amon amarth winning there , even now that an excellent album "one for sorrow" in front of surtur rising, was in the 2nd seat...

agreed about amon amarth, though I was pulling for Mayan to get 1st.
04.03.2012 - 19:43
Czerny Reiter
Another MS awards come and gone. Found some really good bands to sink my teeth into (Sleestak, Glorior Belli and Obscure Sphinx stand out). Was disappointed with some of the results but not the ones where it was a foregone conclusion anyway, rather categories like Metalgaze and Post-Metal where the winners didn't have that much star-power to pull them through and whose efforts I thought were really nothing special.
05.03.2012 - 10:35
DeathSlyzer
NO FOR FUCKS SAKE! NO!! Machine Head is NOT Thrash! Are you MetalStorm people total idiots? How the fuck does MH classify as thrash? You guys are fucking retarded as hell, and I hope you all die!
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
05.03.2012 - 12:12
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2012 at 13:32

and of course originally the NWOBHM tag was only used to describe British band that came to the fore in a certain period of time (hence Judas Priest, Motorhead not being NWOBHM)

Finally, someone doesn't lump Motorhead in the NWOBHM. They pre date it, yet most sources keep putting them there. Thank you.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.03.2012 - 12:14
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by DeathSlyzer on 05.03.2012 at 10:35

NO FOR FUCKS SAKE! NO!! Machine Head is NOT Thrash! Are you MetalStorm people total idiots? How the fuck does MH classify as thrash? You guys are fucking retarded as hell, and I hope you all die!

Taking it all a bit too seriously, aren't we?
----
05.03.2012 - 12:57
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Cock is Intruder on 05.03.2012 at 12:18

Written by M C Vice on 05.03.2012 at 12:14

Taking it all a bit too seriously, aren't we?

You have to accept that those intelligent guys all have been banned, and only left a bunch of obidient student members here.... What can you expect from these students ? This site should be called "student metal storm".

I've noticed that about 80% of the comments on this site are negative. People always bitching about a song/album/band. My favorites are the ones where people keep complaining about how much a band sucks, yet they keep listeneing to their music and talking about them.
----
05.03.2012 - 14:43
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Milena on 03.03.2012 at 20:31

Written by M C Vice on 03.03.2012 at 03:28

What happened to the drama award? They were funny.

There was no big drama this year.

Apart from the dramatic quality of Heritage of course.
05.03.2012 - 14:44
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite

Not sure if trolling or a real moron...
05.03.2012 - 16:11
Fleabag
Once again staff at METALSTORM, congratulations on a brilliant job done collating and producing the yearly awards. I always look forward to listening and voting on the best metal albums from the previous year. The two bands that I have really got into already, from listening to them for the first time from their nominations in the awards are: Vallenfyre and Rudra. Vallenfyre are a welcome return too old school death metal from an all star line up, whilst Rudra are an amazingly talented technically black metal band from the most unlikely country, with the best album cover.

Hits total: 15184 | This month: 17