11. Inner Self [drum tracks] [remaster bonus]
12. Mass Hypnosis [drum tracks] [remaster bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1989: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 64
Featured in "Getting Into: Sepultura"

Guest review by
tomeku
Rating:
Mid and late '80s were the best times for thrash metal. Most of bands like Slayer, Metallica or Megadeth recorded their best albums then. It was golden times for thrash metal. Among the best there was a Brazilian band called: Sepultura (which means: grave). One of the most important thrash bands.

All Sepultura's album from "Schizophrenia" to "Chaos A.D." are great. They play great, fast and brutal although simple music. Max Cavalera was great as leader of the group. He influenced the rest of the band to do their best. "Beneath The Remains" is their second fastest album after "Arise". It feels like travelling at the speed of light. Whole album is filled with simple but already classical riffs (just look at "Inner Self" and "Mass Hypnosis").

Read more ››
published 04.03.2004 | Comments (9)

Found in 81 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 49   Visited by: 1462 users
01.03.2012 - 19:40
Rating: 10
Korah

THE revelation for me. The Thrash Metal get his highly level on Stronger Than Hate. The intro's arpeggio on Beneath the Remains is just majestic, how could we start a fantastic thrash album by a better way ?
----
Don't cry for my English
01.03.2012 - 20:47
Pelagial

The best of Sepultura
01.06.2012 - 02:10
neiluria

Assuredly one of the best thrash album of all time!
01.09.2012 - 19:38
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Their best album definetly
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
10.11.2012 - 16:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Wtf is the death thrash tag doing above this album? This album has nothing to do with death metal at all. Pure thrash. Hell, if this is called death thrash then Slayer is also death thrash because it is clear that Sepultura tried to be Slayer on this album
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2012 - 22:10
megadeath13
Account deleted
Thrash til death!!
06.01.2013 - 07:15
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.11.2012 at 16:01

Wtf is the death thrash tag doing above this album? This album has nothing to do with death metal at all. Pure thrash. Hell, if this is called death thrash then Slayer is also death thrash because it is clear that Sepultura tried to be Slayer on this album

Yeah, no idea what death thrash is supposed to mean. Sounds like somebody hedging their bets. Or having a bit each way, as we say.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
23.03.2013 - 17:32
The Galactician

Arise was pretty great too, but they never did better than this album. I miss the band that Sepultura was.
23.03.2013 - 22:22
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
All arguements about "death thrash" aside, this is one of the all time classic thrash metal albums for sure. Although I do slightly prefer "Arise", this is still an amazing album with many classic songs featured on it. The title track itself has to be one of the greatest album openers of all time, the riffs on that song are insane!
24.03.2013 - 02:44
camilord

Written by Korah on 01.03.2012 at 19:40

THE revelation for me. The Thrash Metal get his highly level on Stronger Than Hate. The intro's arpeggio on Beneath the Remains is just majestic, how could we start a fantastic thrash album by a better way ?

my favorite song too
21.05.2013 - 00:09
LordHypnos
Account deleted
In my opinion, this is Sepultura's definitive masterpiece. All tracks are perfect, no exceptions.
02.06.2013 - 12:09
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Reality03 on 01.06.2013 at 23:17

A good choice for my favourite Thrash Album of all time. Perfect on every Level, Sepulturas definitive hour.

Agree with you - for me this is the best release by Sepultura.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
15.11.2013 - 21:06
NorthernDickhead

Does it matter that there is "Death Thrash" title? :
16.11.2013 - 04:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by NorthernDickhead on 15.11.2013 at 21:06

Does it matter that there is "Death Thrash" title? :

yes, because there is totally no death in their music
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.11.2013 - 18:25
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Good thrash metal record. I consider it one of the best of Sepultura. And I completely agree with Marcel that there is no death metal traces on this album.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
16.11.2013 - 21:51
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Apart from death thrash tag and an amazing record, we finally got to know that one of MS user "Inner Self" got his MS name from track no. 2 of this record. We caught him.
13.02.2014 - 15:59
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.11.2013 at 21:51

Apart from death thrash tag and an amazing record, we finally got to know that one of MS user "Inner Self" got his MS name from track no. 2 of this record. We caught him.

In all seriousness though, this album alongside Chaos AD are still amongst my all time Metal favorites.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
07.03.2014 - 19:30
pkillerjp

It was called death thrash back in the day because of the vocals, obviously. Sub genre arguing is ridiculous anyways. This is Sepultura's best by far, and I disagree with the Slayer rip off comments as well. These riffs stand out in their own right, and really have little to do with what Slayer was doing at the time or on previous albums. And let's remember, Sepultura debuted in 85 with Bestial Devastation, which borrowed absolutely nothing from Slayer, and was more Celtic Frost. Beneath actually reminds me more of early Metallica in spots. This album has many genuine stand out riffs and excellent drumming.

# I'd give it a 9.5 #
12.03.2014 - 19:13
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
After long time like 2-3 years I was listening my fav Sepultura album, yes this one and it feels weird, yes still Inner Self is my fav song but after teenage years old tape days when there wa snot i net, seems I overplay this and now I cant get it so much, its little bit boring(dont get me wrong here) I know each song, and so on maybe random button on MP3 player(I was listening it on the road) would be great, well now band is trash then they were thrash and its still good, classic powerful album , but seems I am over played it as teeneger .........i live my life for my self
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.08.2014 - 11:03
Dr. Strawberry

The tag is 100% correct !
Sepultura is not pure Thrash, labeled them as Death Thrash is more accurate.
Pure Thrash vocals are fast and in a higher pitch, and more into guitars riffs...whereas Sepultura mixed with different styles, blended with death-low-pitched vocals, heavier death-bass, guitar solo pop-up suddently sounds like progressive style.
11.08.2014 - 11:39
raveneffect

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 11.08.2014 at 11:03

Pure Thrash vocals are fast and in a higher pitch, and more into guitars riffs...whereas Sepultura mixed with different styles, blended with death-low-pitched vocals, heavier death-bass, guitar solo pop-up suddently sounds like progressive style.

by this POV, the whole German scene was death thrash as well...

Sepultura is Thrash. period.
11.08.2014 - 13:11
Dr. Strawberry

Written by raveneffect on 11.08.2014 at 11:39

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 11.08.2014 at 11:03

by this POV, the whole German scene was death thrash as well...

Sepultura is Thrash. period.

You're a fast thinker...
initially I wanted to bring out German Thrash as an example but I thought no one would care as Sepultura has been wrongly comparing with US Thrash all the time.

I personally don't recognize Kreator's style as (pure) Thrash or what-so-ever stupid German Thrash.
Kreator and Sepultura are both Death Thrash, under same category but Kreator is closer to Thrash and Sepultura is closer to Death.

If you don't want to make thing difficult, I don't see it's a big deal to bring Death Thrash under Thrash label, simply call them Thrash Metal.
11.08.2014 - 13:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'll never know where this death metal supposedly is in Sepultura. It doesn't exist.
11.08.2014 - 13:19
Dr. Strawberry

Written by pkillerjp on 07.03.2014 at 19:30

It was called death thrash back in the day because of the vocals, obviously. Sub genre arguing is ridiculous anyways. This is Sepultura's best by far, and I disagree with the Slayer rip off comments as well. These riffs stand out in their own right, and really have little to do with what Slayer was doing at the time or on previous albums. And let's remember, Sepultura debuted in 85 with Bestial Devastation, which borrowed absolutely nothing from Slayer, and was more Celtic Frost. Beneath actually reminds me more of early Metallica in spots. This album has many genuine stand out riffs and excellent drumming.

# I'd give it a 9.5 #

This is exactly the point !
It's more reasonable to discuss Sepultura was a rip-off of Kreator or otherwise...they are both early 80's metallers.
11.08.2014 - 13:25
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Guest on 11.08.2014 at 13:13

I'll never know where this death metal supposedly is in Sepultura. It doesn't exist.

Usually I don't like to confuse simple minded people...you may call them Metal or Heavy Metal.
11.08.2014 - 13:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 11.08.2014 at 13:25

Usually I don't like to confuse simple minded people...you may call them Metal or Heavy Metal.

I do enjoy reading your nonsense, I have to say
11.08.2014 - 15:48
raveneffect

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 11.08.2014 at 13:11

I personally don't recognize Kreator's style as (pure) Thrash or what-so-ever stupid German Thrash.

Then you are, personally, an idiot...

no ofense...

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 11.08.2014 at 13:11
Kreator and Sepultura are both Death Thrash, under same category but Kreator is closer to Thrash and Sepultura is closer to Death.

The only factor that brings them "closer to Death" is the unclean vocals that isnt a Death Metal thing, its just how they sing. Annihilator has the same style, can you label them as Death Thrash?

Death/Thrash or deathened thrash, whatever you want to call it, is something on the nature of Dew-Scented, Energetic Krusher or some phases of Entombed or Bolt Thrower. It keeps the clear DM elements but also, usually, plays it mostly under a more typical fast paced Thrash Rythm. Obviously, back in the days, they werent doing this type of sound since the Death genre was still a child, but bands like Possessed, Slaughter or Morbid Saint were already playing a more brutal type of Thrash that was, obviously, transforming into what could be called Proto-Death. Sepultura had that bit in their first works but after Schizophrenia they turned into a more Teutonic type of Thrash Metal as we can clearly listen in Beneath the Remains, which is purely Thrash, obviously.

This discussion is a waste of time and I dont really now why Im wasting time arguing with such unvalid arguments....maybe I am, personally, an idiot.
11.08.2014 - 16:58
Dr. Strawberry

Quote:

The only factor that brings them "closer to Death" is the unclean vocals that isnt a Death Metal thing, its just how they sing.
- Nope, also their music compositions as I mentioned earlier.

Annihilator has the same style, can you label them as Death Thrash?
- Nope, Annihilator is pure Thrash all the time in every details.

Death/Thrash or deathened thrash, whatever you want to call it, is something on the nature of Dew-Scented, Energetic Krusher or some phases of Entombed or Bolt Thrower. It keeps the clear DM elements but also, usually, plays it mostly under a more typical fast paced Thrash Rythm.
- Nope, Bolt Thrower, Entombed...are pure Death metal, their music is not fast at all, nothing to do with Speed/ Thrash Metal.

Possessed, Slaughter or Morbid Saint were already playing a more brutal type of Thrash that was, obviously, transforming into what could be called Proto-Death.
- Nope, Morbid Angel was considered Death + Grindcore...there is no "brutal" or "proto" at all. Proto was used to label some early raw punk...analogue age...we don't use it for modern metal.

Sepultura had that bit in their first works but after Schizophrenia they turned into a more Teutonic type of Thrash Metal as we can clearly listen in Beneath the Remains, which is purely Thrash, obviously.
- Nope, in fact Schizophrenia is closer to Thrash compares with their later work. Beneath The Remains started to change direction and became more Death style. Totally in opposite. I totally agree if one says Accept is German Thrash/ Teutonic Thrash but not Sepultura.

This discussion is a waste of time and I dont really now why Im wasting time arguing with such unvalid arguments....maybe I am, personally, an idiot.
- Yes, Could be.
11.08.2014 - 17:57
raveneffect

Theres no point in keeping up with this conversation, since you pretty much raised the bar saying Kreator is Death/Thrash. Also, Accept being Teutonic Thrash, that was good as well.

You remind me of dead one: Has a very specific deffinition of what a genre is....and I say very specific because he's the only one who sees it that way, despite everyone else saying it otherwise.

touche.
11.08.2014 - 18:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by raveneffect on 11.08.2014 at 17:57

Theres no point in keeping up with this conversation, since you pretty much raised the bar saying Kreator is Death/Thrash. Also, Accept being Teutonic Thrash, that was good as well.

Plus the fact he said Morbid Angel where you mentioned Morbid Saint and him saying Morbid Angel were considered death metal + grindcore when in fact not a single soul at the time considered them to have anything to do with grindcore.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 33862 | This month: 118