12. Garden Of Eden
13. Don't Damn Me
14. Bad Apples
15. Dead Horse
16. Coma

Guest review by
Death To Posers
Rating:
When I was in 4th grade most of the kids in class were into grunge, metal or rap; unless of course you were one of those sheltered kids who still sang along to "Old McDonald" on the way to school when you were 10. I still remember getting into heated arguments with my best friend who as a grunge fan over who was better: Guns N Roses or Nirvana. Even though Use Your Illusion I was released in '91 it was still insanely popular at the time. The members of GnR epitomized the rock star cliché; into hard drugs, booze, fast women and trashing hotel rooms. Despite the lifestyle factors and all the drama they were dealing with at the time; they put out a refined and complex album that holds some of the most memorable songs ever made in not just Hard Rock, but across all music released in the past 30 years.

Read more ››
published 10.02.2011 | Comments (6)

Found in 19 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 603 users
04.03.2012 - 22:07
Korah

Good album even if there are too many songs. Better than his brother.
----
Don't cry for my English
04.03.2012 - 22:12
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by RetardedByMetal on 04.03.2012 at 22:08

Written by Korah on 04.03.2012 at 22:07

Yes, I feel like kicking your little brother !

@RetardedByMetal: what's up with this reply; if you wanna complain about the album, do it, don't be rude to the other users.

The first Illusions album is frustratingly uneven and got boring with repeated listens, at least for me.

The second Illusions is better in my opinion, still uneven though
04.03.2012 - 22:22
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by RetardedByMetal on 04.03.2012 at 22:18

Written by Guest on 04.03.2012 at 22:12

Written by RetardedByMetal on 04.03.2012 at 22:08

Written by Korah on 04.03.2012 at 22:07

Yes, I feel like kicking your little brother !

@RetardedByMetal: what's up with this reply; if you wanna complain about the album, do it, don't be rude to the other users.

The first Illusions album is frustratingly uneven and got boring with repeated listens, at least for me.

The second Illusions is better in my opinion, still uneven though

I am not talking about this album, but this guy Korah. He is quiet annoying....I think he is the one being rude by sending meaningless posts.

You have not suggested me one album which you think is the best after Iron Fist.

yes, I did; go to that thread.
04.03.2012 - 22:42
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by RetardedByMetal on 04.03.2012 at 22:29

Yes, I did; go to that thread.

You suggested 4-5 albums, but I am not going to buy 4-5 albums at the same time....I just need "ONE" which you think is their best after Iron fist.

all right, I will, but not on this thread, we are seriously off topic.
08.04.2012 - 02:16
Rating: 8
musicalkaratekid

Although i marginally prefer the second installment of 'Use your Illusion', this is a pretty strong set of songs. It has 16 songs, running at a total time of 75 minutes, but there is a lot to be taken in here.Ballads, punk-fuelled rockers, disturbingly sex-oriented lyrics and some really outstanding imagery floods 'Use your illusion I', keeping it going right until the very end. Two weaker track-'Back off Bitch' and 'You ain't the first'-but on the whole this is proof that Guns N roses wasn't all but demolished after 'Appetite for destruction'.
21.04.2012 - 20:11
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
First off, Gliby Clarke is listed in the line-up for this album, (and Illusion II) and he shouldn't be! Gilby didn't join the band til 3 months after the Illusions were released when he replaced Izzy Stradlin. He didn't play on either album.

I've always marginally preffered Illusion 1, mainly because there's less filler even though it contains 2 more songs, and the fact that it's more rooted in their more aggressive Appetite style than the overall lighter, more introspective nature of the 2nd Illusion album. "Bad Apples" is a weak song, and so is "You Ain't The First", but pretty much everything else is Guns' at their absolute finest. The last track "Coma" is my fave Guns' track of all time and is extremely underrated. Not just in GnR's catalogue, but also in the history of rock music.
22.04.2012 - 11:05
Nemo Atkins

Don't understand why everyone says "You Ain't The First" is a weak song: I think that it's one of the best songs on the album, as it has great harmonies, convincingly folk-sounding music and feels like a casual song which the band were having some fun with while recording (having said that, I did pretty much grow up on folk music, so I acknowledge that my opinion would be a bit biased). Honestly, I find both of the Use Your Illusion albums a bit overrated, as the memorable songs are too few for me to sit and listen to them all the way through without getting bored, but just about all the songs are undeniably well written and hard to just call filler. Push me for a rating and I'd probably give a high 7 for both of them. Maybe an eight just because of their good reputation (which, despite my criticism, I still agree with) and the fact that I don't listen to them that much and, as such, might not have fully clicked with them yet.
24.04.2012 - 00:49
Rating: 8
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Overall, I is better than II. Both albums contain the share of filler, failed experiments and... bad songs, but that's part of their appeal. This is the band doing pretty much everything they can think of, which results in inconsistent but interesting albums. Izzy Stradlin is extremely important here, grounding the albums with his bluesy hard rock and giving Axl space to go crazy with his ambitious epics. In this context "You Ain't The First" is a charming little ditty, sounding like it was recorded at the end of the day before the band went to the bar, exhausted after working on something like "Coma" all day. This ragged, Stonesy track could be considered filler but to me it represents another, equally important, side of the band.

I as a whole has some of GnR's finest moments and not as many horrible ones as II does. Highlights: "Don't Damn Me", "November Rain", "Coma", "Don't Cry", "Dust N' Bones".
23.09.2012 - 01:53
Death_95

Under-rated album..
16.02.2013 - 22:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
My 1th one , my secend orginal CD (Edge of saniuty - The spectral sorrows was 1th)
so it wa soverplayed in some years ago when I was teenager ,,,, i shamly will addmit Axel and Alash was my idol, I like his attoo and probobly rha he cant get all chiks what he wantrs, Slash because of cigaretes ... well I get over it asap, I still like Dusnt n Bones lyric and also Right Next dorr To Hell. Dead Hourse is also OK, good album, somehow band changed, in all waysexelent masterpiece, this is best doble album 8I cosnider both parts like one) ever wtitten
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.09.2018 - 07:30
Rating: 9
DeathMetal

Really enjoyed this one, Don't Damn Me is such a great song. This was a little on the long side though...

Hits total: 11975 | This month: 40