05. Icarus' Dream Suite Op.4
06. As Above, So Below
07. Little Savage
08. Farewell

Top 20 albums of 1984: 11

Guest review by
Joey Jo Jo
Rating:
In the early years of metal, while it was still rooted in Blues/Hard-rock, there were many influential guitarists such as Jimmy Hendrix, Ritchie Blackmore, Glenn Tipton, etc. These guys are credited for shaping the metal scene throughout all its years and formations, but nothing could prepare the music-listening world for Malmsteen. At first Yngwie never really took to guitar or any other musical instrument. It wasn't until the age of 7, when his musical idol Jimmy Hendrix died, that he realized he wanted to play guitar. Now his style was really something to behold, a mix of the flamboyant playing of his idols with classical which he had learned through his sister. Throughout the years he played with many bands from school, perfected his craft, joined Alcatrazz and really made a name for himself and his unique style. After all this, he had realized that he could reach his vision only by doing it on his own, going solo.

Read more ››
published 29.07.2005 | Comments (4)

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 685 users
05.03.2012 - 21:00
Rating: 10
Korah

A masterpiece through the ages. The great, the unique, the invincible, the eternal.
----
Don't cry for my English
01.06.2012 - 02:32
neiluria

It transports us into a magical musical world, or malmsteen alone knows the secret.
A pure jewelry !
23.12.2012 - 14:22
Death_95

Amazing.
15.10.2014 - 15:30
Shinkirō
Account deleted
From a technical standpoint this is the perfect guitar work I've ever encountered so far in metal. It is just mind blowing.
05.01.2019 - 21:46
Rating: 5
Joppe
Steelemeister
In some way I can see the appeal in this kind of music, but this particular album's music just doesn't cut it for me. I heard this album the first time many years ago and I was asking - and still am- that what is the point? To showcase some technical mastery and neglect other aspects in songwriting? Well, appreciate it if you can, me I can only find some meaning in 'Now Your Ships Are Burned' and 'As Above, So Below' because it seems the songs with added vocals had a needed positive effect. A wise man (Lao Tzu) once said: "The great way is easy, yet people prefer the side paths." To me it appears that Yngwie is a side path man...

My slant - a Freudian style explanation, if you will - is that Yngster displaced his dingus with a guitar, and consequently, instead of choking his chicken, an innocent Fender StratoCaster was the object of wankery
----
My vision is augmented
13.07.2021 - 20:06
Rating: 8
Metal Rasputin

This is such a great album, Yngwie had very weak and thin guitar tone around this time but otherwise everything is here. I feel like the maestro himself was still careful enough to include some actual music and composition here instead of just shredding mindlessly all day, it might not be always that clear, but it's there. Yngwie studied baroque music in his youth and applies it here, like that's the whole point of "neoclassical" metal. Studying the songs more closely reveals lots of funny sounding soloing ideas for anyone patient enough to learn them, they're mostly not as difficult as they might sound.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
06.08.2021 - 22:27
Redel

Written by Metal Rasputin on 13.07.2021 at 20:06

This is such a great album, Yngwie had very weak and thin guitar tone around this time but otherwise everything is here.

I agree, the mixing of the guitar is not perfect here. But technically this album is brilliant, and I think guitar techniques is not overdone here, since the songwriting in total is quite balanced and really good.
12.08.2022 - 14:28
majormalfunction

Really cool debut. It's rare for a (mostly) instrumental album to be this memorable and fun all the way through. I'm even tempted to put a 9, maybe next time I revisit the album.
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands

Hits total: 15005 | This month: 41