03. Rampant Micro Life
04. Warring Tribes, Eventual Demise
05. Single Sided
06. Surreality
07. New Beginning
08. Tide In, Mind Out
09. Eclectic
10. Escape From The Black Hole

Organasm is the 4th full length album release from Australia's most talented metal outfit, Alchemist, and is somewhat of a juxtaposition of progressive metal, in that the tracks are relatively short for a progressive style whilst still being progressive.

Confused? Let me explain. Alchemist has managed to achieve on this record what few other bands can, a near perfect mix of complexity and accessibility. The 50 minute journey into audio progressive bliss is laden with crunching guitar riffs, heavy drums, guttural vocals and what can only be described as the best scream in metal. Yet, somehow avoiding the clichés of the tried and true formula of heavy-soft-heavy, interwoven into the heavy mix are beautiful melodies, ethereal guitar leads and keyboards, expansive breakdowns and thought-provoking lyrics.

Whilst tracks only range from 3 to 5 minutes, the progressiveness of the album is also assisted by tracks 2, 3 and 4 blending into each other as one, titled "Evolution Trilogy". This flow of music is very intelligent in that it feels like a single song, however the band never returns to, or repeats riffs, melodies or choruses (in fact, there are is no such thing as a chorus in this flow) throughout the 15 minutes. On an album I admire and love so much, it's very difficult to pinpoint standout tracks or moments, but if I had to, these three tracks strung together would form the highlight(s) of Organasm.

Musically, the album is like no other I've heard before, and it's very difficult to relate it to other bands, and even to other Alchemist releases. Sure, there are elements where you could draw direct comparisons to other music, but that's not what this album is about. Organasm is an experience, a journey; a 50 minute masterpiece that demands your attention and leaves you thinking, that was awesome, and life is good... something where the totality of itself far exceeds the sum of its parts.

Do I recommend Organasm? Hell yes... but I make no promises that you'll like it or even appreciate it; I just think that metallers looking for that something special should give it a try. C'mon, you've nothing to lose but 50 of the 42,048,000 minutes of your time on this planet.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Sonic MrSumo | 10.03.2012

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 49 users
11.03.2012 - 05:11
Rating: 10
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Nice review, this is Aussie prog at it's finest. And how you describe the music as 'flowing', that's exactly how I feel about it, well put.
11.03.2012 - 06:37
Rating: 10
Sonic MrSumo

Written by R'Vannith on 11.03.2012 at 05:11

Nice review, this is Aussie prog at it's finest. And how you describe the music as 'flowing', that's exactly how I feel about it, well put.

Thanks mate. I love this album...one of the finest in my collection.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.

Hits total: 3218 | This month: 7