Metal Storm logo
Shape of Despair

Original post

Posted by Vunts, 18.05.2006 - 17:33
I thought that i will let this band go in the extreme sub-forum. As will all the other funeral doom bands' threads that i will ever be making. Funeral doom is just an even more extreme doom genre than death/doom, thus this thread being here.
I really love the band. Best funeral doom i've heard. And while i haven't heard all that much, i reall really enjoy the music. The song that got me into them was Night's Dew. It isn't exactly my favourite song, but it presents some awesome melodies. The thing i like about the band is the word "doom" seems to be written all over their songs.
All of the 3 CDs are awesome. I still can't pick a favourite, but In the Mist is an awesome song. So is Woundheir.
From Angels of Distress i atm most like Quiet These Paintings Are and ...To Live For My Death
From Illusion's Play i like Sleep Mirrored and Entwined in Misery.

The named songs aren't of course the only ones that i enjoy, but they were the first that came to my head. Anyways, that thing aside, the more important thing is that they have NO songs that i dislike! Picking favourites is hard, but picking bad songs is easy. I failed to do the latter. Some songs are more key-influenced, but it's done in a doomish way to present a whole new level of soundscape. I totally appreciate that.

Poll

Yes or no

I like them
Hadn't heard of them before this thread
I dislike them

Total votes: 81
14.06.2006 - 11:23
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"Just look for their lryics on Angel's On Distress.. and I noticed how much grammar mistakes they made..

I've losted mine strenght,
I've losted mine sanity..

That is just completely crooked, isn't it? "

Also, from the Illusions Play booklet at the bottom of the lyrics for Curse Life (also my fave Shape Of Despair song) it says:

(For me... what did you really gave... life....)

14.06.2006 - 11:27
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Yes, weird too.

But well, most of the time I can't what they're hearing anyway.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.06.2006 - 20:38
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 14.06.2006 at 11:27

But well, most of the time I can't what they're hearing anyway.

ANd Shape Of Despiar is wierd...
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
15.06.2006 - 21:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
But good.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.06.2006 - 21:17
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Shape Of Despair is great despite little grammar errors , it's the feeling what counts
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
16.06.2006 - 01:06
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
"ANd Shape Of Despiar is wierd... "

Gotta love weird bands!!!
16.06.2006 - 04:19
Soliloquy
hahah, yeah, i realised that these guys cant really write all too wll. sure they have amazing ideas behind their songs. and their music is just increcible! but their lyrics...idk

like if you take that song from my sig, 'quite these paintings are'. just the name of that song gives me shivers. why? for some reason i get this picture of this loney guy walking down a dark hallway in some sort of museam, and he is looking at the paintings, and walking by them. and if i keep imagining stuff, i can imagin him being depressed becuase those paintings were his work, yet no one cares for it, and thus they are silent

errmmm..i'm not making sense. but yeah, i just realised that i absolutly love their song 'angels of distress'. its even my myspace song. maybe i should stop playing that in my head, and start listening to it again!
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
16.06.2006 - 14:46
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
@Soliloquy. No dude, it makes perfect sense!

I think 'Quite These Paintings Are' is one of the best songtitels every, simply because it's so mystique.. it is like a small clue to a big secret, which we will never find..
----

19.06.2006 - 01:07
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
And the Quiet These Paintings Are-Outro song on Shape Of Despair-Shape Of Despair totally adds to the original.
14.07.2006 - 17:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like this band, realy great but does someone know that tahy calls Raven before change name to SoD and thay olay Furneal Doom metal and does soemone had hear them, I mena thay had 2 domes ''alone in the mist'' and some tape, Just voundering how thay sounds then

About Shape of Despair I like them, lyrics are great like all doom metal bands I like album ''Angels of Distress'' but cover strange, also great song are ''...To Live For My Death...'' its what I doing now

I love them
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.07.2006 - 16:10
lordz
IzZo
I heared Entwined In Misery ... it was very good IMO... I like funeral doom but the problem is I cant listen to it all times... its tooooooooooooooooo slow songs easily get up to and over 10 minutes... but hey thats the point of being funeral doom
good band though
18.07.2006 - 16:24
Basso
Account deleted
This band is cool. Got me intressted in Funeral Doom
18.07.2006 - 16:29
Vunts
Written by Guest on 18.07.2006 at 16:24

They did the same thing for me. Even if the original song was more fast paced than their others. I discovered them thanks to MS radio where i heard Night's Dew. Then many months passed before i could actually find their works. And yea, i'm still very much interested in them!
20.08.2006 - 03:16
Anathemani@c
There isn't much time since I listened to them but I really liked them a lot! I listened to the Shades of.. I love that stuff!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
20.08.2006 - 17:38
heresiarch
Forever Dead
@Anathemani@c ok, now get your hands on Angels In Distress album , it is most depressive there is
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
20.08.2006 - 18:15
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Guest on 18.07.2006 at 16:24

Yeah, same here. I have known the name of this band for long because I'm a fan of Pasi Koskinen, but I never listened to Shape of Despair until recently. Fell in love with the album "Illusion's Play" almost instantly. I gotta get more by them soon. Wonderful stuff and shows a new side (for me) of Pasi's vocal skills.
19.10.2006 - 23:29
Soliloquy
ack! stupid stupid canada! so i went to the store the other day, just to order myself 'angel of distress'. it turns out that that is the only cd that is out of print and discontinued! arg! and i have been searching for shape of despair's songs for a while. i mean, the first time i heard of them, it was when metalstorm had its radio up and running(i think its still on, but its not on the forum anymore...so what fun is that). and that was some months ago.

anywho, is anyone willing to send me all the songs from angel of distress? i dont need that stuff online where you can download the entire album from some link. those things always took too long, and they never worked on my computer. like send in the songs through msn or soemthing?

thanks
----

-Zakk Wylde
20.10.2006 - 00:39
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
This band is one of those bands I just can't appreciate... I've heard several songs by them and they're so damn monotonous.
20.10.2006 - 05:09
Soliloquy
Written by Guest on 20.10.2006 at 00:39

This band is one of those bands I just can't appreciate... I've heard several songs by them and they're so damn monotonous.

thats actually the first time i've heard anyone say that about the band. same on you!

i know its your opinion, so i respect that.
----

-Zakk Wylde
03.05.2007 - 18:03
Maral
Account deleted
this band is good and I think it's not like other funeral doom bands, it's more melodic...well it;s just my thought
03.05.2007 - 19:11
Bitch Boy
This is a very brilliant band, one of the darkest atmospheres I've ever heard. Maybe it's in the melodic forum because it's doom taken to a clearly slower form.
15.10.2007 - 13:05
Esoptron
Account deleted
Shape of Despair are for sure one of the best funeral doom metal bands of the period...Every realease they made was so unique and carried such emotions and really drowned the listener into despair...My favourite album is for sure"Angel Of Distress"i simply love all songs and find them momentus for this genre...I noticed that some have mentioned some grammatical errors at their lyrics...It really doesnt matter,you can understand what they mean through them and simply doesnt make them a lesser good band
14.05.2008 - 19:41
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I just got into them recently, wow they're a great listen!
15.05.2008 - 16:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
they r great. better that other funeral doom bands i think
20.05.2008 - 21:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I find Shape of Despair's music so depressing that I had to move away from it. I mean, they are great but I'm too sensitive and weak because it gets to me, and its just music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.05.2008 - 21:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 20.05.2008 at 21:31

I find Shape of Despair's music so depressing that I had to move away from it. I mean, they are great but I'm too sensitive and weak because it gets to me, and its just music.

I lol'd... I mean, sorry... I don't mean that you're weak or that kind of stuff.. I just found interesting that you really feel the music.

I'm also very sensitive in the music that I hear... but not on that level that I beging to cry or something.
Poor you ...
But since I'm a masochist... I listen to that kind of music so much as it's possible.

This proves that Shape Of Despair... is indeed a hell of doom metal.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.05.2008 - 10:08
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.05.2008 at 21:51

I lol'd... I mean, sorry... I don't mean that you're weak or that kind of stuff.. I just found interesting that you really feel the music.

I'm also very sensitive in the music that I hear... but not on that level that I beging to cry or something.
Poor you ...
But since I'm a masochist... I listen to that kind of music so much as it's possible.

I don't get to the point where I cry, I usually never cry, but I get really really sad. And I cant be on that space anymore.

I had a time when I would listen to Shape of Despair everyday.

I don't think that any other band had that affect on me.
----

My Instagram
21.05.2008 - 10:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 21.05.2008 at 10:08

Poor you ...

I don't get to the point where I cry, I usually never cry, but I get really really sad. And I cant be on that space anymore.

There's always a first time... xD

Now that I read your posts... I really want the discography of SfD... They were fucking cheap... the three cds for only 25 euro!!! O.O

And the s/t song from Angels of Distress... was the first song that I heard from the band... and I really feld depressed. Awesome stuff.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.05.2008 - 13:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.05.2008 at 10:13

Written by BloodTears on 21.05.2008 at 10:08

Poor you ...

There's always a first time... xD

Now that I read your posts... I really want the discography of SfD... They were fucking cheap... the three cds for only 25 euro!!! O.O

And the s/t song from Angels of Distress... was the first song that I heard from the band... and I really feld depressed. Awesome stuff.

I recommend their albums. And 25 euros for 3 cds is very cheap indeed.

I wish they did Iron Maiden 5 cds for 25 eheh.
----

My Instagram
13.10.2009 - 06:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
So, "Shades of..." is one of my favorite releases, love reading a good book with this on in the background.

it's been, what, five years since they released anything. anyone know what they are up to?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!