08. The Strangulation Chair
09. Caged... Contorted
10. Crucifier Avenged
11. Rabid
12. Torn Through
13. Death Walking Terror [live] [German edition bonus]
14. Make Them Suffer [live] [German edition bonus]
15. Disfigured [live] [German edition bonus]

Wow! What a step forward Cannibal Corpse has made! Synthed orchestras, accordion, even some female operatic segments thrown in! This is clearly the dawn of a new era for this band, reinventing themselves into something far more intricate, dynamic and delicate than we've seen from them - or metal in general - for ages.

I'm just fucking with you. This is Cannibal Corpse being Cannibal Corpse. Reviewing a Cannibal Corpse album seems so asinine by this point I needed to give you folks some reason to read on. These guys are basically the Motörhead of death metal; the overall quality may fluctuate from album to album, but not for lack of consistency. When you buy a Cannibal Corpse album, good or bad, you are going to get a set of frantic death metal beatings.

The only thing that feels different this time around is the more linear approach in the song writing. The simple album title and the less-clever-than-usual song titles reflect the nature of Torture. The sharp tempo shifts and more technical riffs don't seem to be as frequent as their other recent works. While that makes Torture a slightly more accessible Cannibal Corpse album, it serves to give it a more natural, visceral feel.

This entire review is completely useless, though. If you are familiar with Cannibal Corpse, you already have a pretty good idea of what this is going to sound like. If for whateverfuckingreason you've just heard of them today...Well, I suppose Torture ain't a bad place to start.

Written on 13.03.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 42   Visited by: 612 users
13.03.2012 - 09:13
vezzy
Stallmanite
In other words, not worth listening.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
13.03.2012 - 09:15
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I would be SO down to hear accordions and female vocals in a Cannibal Corpse album. Instant album of the decade.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
13.03.2012 - 10:08
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Just finished listening this album twice and yeah they completely outdo their last release Evisceration Plague.
13.03.2012 - 18:16
theFIST
Seen them,enjoyed that and like the new album
it"s as expected and good
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
13.03.2012 - 22:37
Mindheist
No Longer Human
"Wow! What a step forward Cannibal Corpse has made! Synthed orchestras, accordion, even some female operatic segments thrown in! This is clearly the dawn of a new era for this band, reinventing themselves into something far more intricate, dynamic and delicate than we've seen from them - or metal in general - for ages."

Boy! This is definitely going to freak somebody out
13.03.2012 - 22:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Mindheist on 13.03.2012 at 22:37
Boy! This is definitely going to freak somebody out

The best part is that this will probably be the only thing visible from the homepage.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2012 - 22:45
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2012 at 22:40

The best part is that this will probably be the only thing visible from the homepage.

Shit! I forgot about that. I'm looking forward to it
14.03.2012 - 02:00
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2012 at 22:40

...and you were right Already took a screenshot of it, it's beautiful.
14.03.2012 - 08:02
PocketMetal
The moment I read " female operatic segments " I was like : what a brave woman =))
you got me there , I have never listened to this band since I read some of their old lyrics ... and I'm not going to .
14.03.2012 - 13:04
Moosh666
Despite not being a fan of either band, I think Global Flatline should be regarded higher because Aborted actually outdid themselves, whereas CC released another boring generic Death Metal album IMO.
14.03.2012 - 13:58
Rating: 9
JBeast666
I just received my copy in the mail, I got the special edition, came with a Tee shirt and vinyl (which looks sick btw). Loving the album! I have listened to it 2 times now and absolutely love it!
----
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
― Richard Dawkins
14.03.2012 - 14:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by PocketMetal on 14.03.2012 at 08:02

you got me there , I have never listened to this band since I read some of their old lyrics ... and I'm not going to .

I despise some of the Overkill's old lyrical stuff...that means I should hate Overkill? I suppose you can never judge any band from lyrical stuff and anybody thinks like that...person is an useless Moron.
14.03.2012 - 15:58
Berserk
You had me interested for a moment...
----
Fear the Old Blood
14.03.2012 - 16:41
PocketMetal
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.03.2012 at 14:49

I despise some of the Overkill's old lyrical stuff...that means I should hate Overkill? I suppose you can never judge any band from lyrical stuff and anybody thinks like that...person is an useless Moron.

I think who writes something like lyrics from Tomb Of The Mutilated is not human enough for my time .
14.03.2012 - 16:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by PocketMetal on 14.03.2012 at 16:41
I think who writes something like lyrics from Tomb Of The Mutilated is not human enough for my time .

What a sad, sad comment.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.03.2012 - 17:00
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by PocketMetal on 14.03.2012 at 16:41

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.03.2012 at 14:49

May be some of the words has offended you/ your religion but if you think in totality, it's not that bad either. They are bunch of Old School Brutal Death Metal dudes who heavily belongs on gore, gore,gore. excoriating human flesh and what not. you may hate this band, but they have a big following apart from you.
14.03.2012 - 17:04
Papa_Ray
Torture is a much better album than Evisceration Plague. Plague got a bit bogged down by mid-paced riffing and songs that sounded too linear. Cannibal is best when they mix up fast and slow riffs in the same song. Torture flows better, mixes up the balls-out-hauling-dick riffing with the Cannibal groove to greater effect, and Alex Webster's bass tone hasn't sounded better in over a decade. Though it is probably a bit early to say, I still probably prefer Kill. It's definitely better than Gore Obsessed, The Wretched Spawn, and Evisceration Plague.

And 'Scourge of Iron' is a pleasure to crank the hell out of while driving.
14.03.2012 - 17:24
Rating: 9
Mad Mike
Why change if you have a great formula? I mean... do you want to be like Pepsi? Or New Coke?
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
14.03.2012 - 17:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Mad Mike on 14.03.2012 at 17:24
I mean... do you want to be like Pepsi? Or New Coke?

I prefer flavored soda to be honest.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.03.2012 - 17:49
PocketMetal

May be some of the words has offended you/ your religion but if you think in totality, it's not that bad either. They are bunch of Old School Brutal Death Metal dudes who heavily belongs on gore, gore,gore. excoriating human flesh and what not. you may hate this band, but they have a big following apart from you.

I don't "hate" this band I just don't listen to them . I listen to Nile or Quo Vadis if I'm in need of some Death Metal . but it's still not the best genre for me .
whatever who cares xD
14.03.2012 - 17:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Mad Mike on 14.03.2012 at 17:24

do you want to be like Pepsi? Or New Coke?

I wanna be

14.03.2012 - 19:35
Baz Anderson
Staff
Although on a casual listen this might sound like any other Cannibal Corpse album, I'm only on my second play through now but I think this album is noticeably a cut above the others. The guitar work especially is much more adventurous... so far I think this is a really really great album.
14.03.2012 - 19:56
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I like the guitar work too, it was really fast paced heavy album with palpitation drumming has actually made a special image of itself. Not a bad work though.
15.03.2012 - 13:40
I like about three or four songs on this album and the production is definitely preferred over Kill or Evisceration Plague. But, the remaining tracks might sound different than what Cannibal Corpse has put out in the past, but it still sounds like every other death metal album coming out anymore. In other words, 10 or 11 of the tracks do absolutely nothing for me. A couple of the albums since Bloodthirst have been above average, but none have been great, and this continues that.
15.03.2012 - 18:55
D.T. Metal
Staff
Written by PocketMetal on 14.03.2012 at 17:49
I don't "hate" this band I just don't listen to them . I listen to Nile or Quo Vadis if I'm in need of some Death Metal . but it's still not the best genre for me .
whatever who cares xD

hmmmm,...no wonder you don't listen to CC if Nile and Quo Vadis are your sources for Death Metal

I thing Torture is a really good album. Do I like some of their older stuff better? Sure, but Cannibal Corpse proved once again with this release that they are still very much relevant in today's vast sea of Death Metal bands.
15.03.2012 - 20:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by D.T. Metal on 15.03.2012 at 18:55

but Cannibal Corpse proved once again with this release that they are still very much relevant in today's vast sea of Death Metal bands.

Tp me they have never ever been relevant in the vast sea of today's and also yesteryears' death metal bands. Not when their debut hit the scene and not now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2012 - 22:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2012 at 20:30
Tp me they have never ever been relevant in the vast sea of today's and also yesteryears' death metal bands. Not when their debut hit the scene and not now.

If anything... It has become only less relevant.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.03.2012 - 14:42
"Wow! What a step forward Cannibal Corpse has made! Synthed orchestras, accordion, even some female operatic segments thrown in! This is clearly the dawn of a new era for this band, reinventing themselves into something far more intricate, dynamic and delicate than we've seen from them - or metal in general - for ages."

That won't work again... oh wait, maybe
19.03.2012 - 04:43
Mattybu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2012 at 20:30

Written by D.T. Metal on 15.03.2012 at 18:55

but Cannibal Corpse proved once again with this release that they are still very much relevant in today's vast sea of Death Metal bands.

Agreed, they have basically sealed their fate as irrelevant by refusing to evolve over the years also. Could have guessed almost every point in this review 100% before reading it.

This is the only thing relevant about Cannibal Corpse

02.04.2012 - 09:48
Rating: 10
Big-Al
New album is great. best since the wretched spawn. 10/10
----

I drink moosepiss

Hits total: 12848 | This month: 23