Metal Storm logo
Your favorite videogame(s) for each genre

Original post

Posted by Darth Satanious, 30.10.2006 - 03:38
The idea of making this thread came to me while playing in my Playstation 2, thing that I rarely do nowadays. Here you will mention the videogame or videogames you hold in higher esteem for each videogame subgenre. Being it the subgenres of Fighting, RPG, Shooting, Action, Platform, Stealth, Racing, Adventure, Sports, Puzzle, Simulation, Strategy, Survival Horror, Beat 'em up, etc.

Note that there may be some genres that I have mentioned above that, in reality, would come to be a subgenre of another genre of videogames; I just felt that it would be right to put them separately. You are free to categorize them as you wish in your own list. In addition, feel free to suggest other genres of videogames that I may have left behind so that I can put a more complete list up there.

Regarding my list, I have to say that I am not a hardcore videogames player; there was this moment in my life that I was pretty into videogames but I didn't download videogames but instead I would pay $20, $30, $40, $50 and even $60 for the videogames I bought; depending in how new they were at the time I purchased them. Thus, I couldn't play much videogames back then because that meant that I would have to pay big amounts of money for each videogame. Therefore my list will have some videogames listed as favorites when there would certainly be some videogames that I would have liked most with the chance of playing them. Anyways, here is the list:

Platform - Super Mario World

This game would come to be my favorite Mario videogame. It has not so crappy visuals in comparison to other Mario games, several secrets, well made levels and addicting-as-fuck gameplay. You know, people can argue that videogames such as this are too old to be played anymore but then, after some time, this people are the ones who take the control out of your hands to play themselves. Mario's games never grow old and even me, a not too supporting gamer of Nintendo, have to agree with that.

Shooting - Perfect Dark

I have to admit that this genre is not my cup of tea; I can only enjoy it while playing multiplayer with some friends. Still, this game got my attention enough as to play it by myself and train to become a better player at it and beat the crap out of my rivals. The Nintendo 64 console wasn't even mine.

Action/Adventure - Shadow of the Colossus

In this game, you take the role of a young man trying to bring life back to his dead love; the only way to do it: kill defeat sixteen giants which make you feel as a cockroach fighting off human beings. This game has beautiful landscapes with a vast territory and of course: a very addictive gameplay which demands you to use your logic in order to defeat the colossi in their own unique way.

Stealth - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Although Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Espionage Action was the one to set great standards of the game and even when Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater surpassed all the previous games in terms of gameplay, I will have to say that Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty would be my favorite Stealth game. This game was like the point between the previous games; giving a first glimpse of what this franchise could do with a videogame console such as the Playstation 2. Additionally, it had a complex storyline, with several plot twists that blur the barrier between fiction and reality (do the Patriots really exist? lol). It is definitely one of my favorite videogames.

In second place I would mention Tenchu: Stealth Assassins. In this game you would take charge of two ninja assassins: Tenchu and Ayame, in a feudal Japan. The game isn't as complex as any Metal Gear Solid videogame but it had its particular gameplay and storyline. For example, you would climb roofs with ropes, walk and jump over them and spot enemies that would be put to face their deaths by throwing shurikens to the unsuspecting fools or by "dying by the sword" with several killing techiniques like slitting their throats (what made a blood fountain pierce the air vertically as a geyser), piercing their stomachs and other I can't remember right now because it has been centuries since the last time I played this game. I should look for it again.

Fighting - Tekken 3

This game would be the first game I bought willingly, not only the first fighting game but the first game in general. I remember playing that game until dawn the first days after I bought it. In this game, each character had its own design with what were great visuals to that time. The little brief stories were enough to create an idea of each of the characters' personalities. I also spent several hours playing the addictive mini-game of Tekken Ball. I had the chance of playing Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament but I still prefer the third one over those. I preferred this games over Mortal Kombat (in fact, I only enjoyed the storyline of these games), Street Fighter and other fighting games I have played.

Beat 'Em Up - The Bouncer

This Squaresoft (for those ancient enough to have witnessed the days when Square-Enix were known as such) game presented the "beat 'em up" gameplay mixed with RPG elements. You had the chance of playing as three characters Sion, Volt and Kou who had their own scenes in the story; depending in which character you would use you would get to know more of the story since each one of them had their secrets. The story would advance through video sequences, similar to a movie, which would stop when they faced enemies that crossed their paths. And here is where the fun starts: each character has their own techniques that you learn through ability points or experience (I can't remember right now) and there is this technique made in concordance with the rest of the group that, when triggered, results in a coordinated attack of the three towards a poor enemy. The games outstanding visuals are eye candy even today.

Action - Grand Theft Auto III

The controversy around these series reached its peak once this game was released. Turning the series into a 3D experience brought more much realism all because of the new found power of the Playstation 2. After playing this game I finally could see the real difference between the previous generation of consoles and the new one for you were able to do so many things in things in this game: kill pedestrians, hijack cars, make missions, enjoy from the ho's offerings, almost anything.

Racing - Smuggler's Run 2

What makes this game stand out from the other racing games that I have played would be how you are compelled to do the "racing" in this game. You are a smuggler and your goal is to pick a delivery by passing over it with your car, then an arrow will indicate you were the delivery should be sent but careful because there are other smugglers in the field that can take the delivery from you by just hitting you. The battles that take place when all the cars fight for a delivery are both an enjoyment and a frustration (just imagine what it is like when playing multiplayer). The race takes place in a 3D world with houses, trees, animals, cars, rocks, mountains, etc. what makes the route to the delivery completely up to the player for there is no forced road that you must follow; you can take several minutes to deliver the package and still win. This game is a must in multiplayer.

The first game was an enjoyment and even through I liked the locations (which are huge) of the first one more than the second, I prefer the sequel of the first because it added the new feature of special weapons that made the "race-battle" even more fun. These weapons include: smoke screen which blinds the rivals, oil that leaves the other cars rolling in the same place, a boost that leaves everyone behind and, my personal favorite, a bomb which explodes the ones that get near it and even sends them flying over the air. Additionally, there was this game that you could play in multiplayer that consisted of several cars picking up deliveries; the new feature was that among the several deliveries that appear at the same time, two of them would be bombs that would erase your bomb count to zero if you do not give it to another player. Just imagine the battles that this game generates.

Sport - Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

After being introduced to the series through the second one, I decided to buy the third installment to the series. I spent hours playing and replaying this game trying to beat my higher scores each time and bringing them to a height that would be hard to achieve for anyone. I had the chance of playing other sequels to this game but they kind of got too complex and polluted with so many things that it took the fun out of the gameplay which was pretty simple, how I wanted it.

Simulation - None yet

I have played some pieces of games such as SimCity, Roller Coaster, and Theme Park but not as to have a favorite by now.

Puzzle - Puzzle Bobble (Bust-a-move)

Although I didn't actually play the whole game, by playing the demo of this game I completely got hooked by it. You have this arrow which points to the direction where you will launch the color balls, this color balls are meant to be shoot at the balls found in the upper part of the panel which have the same color. All balls that stand by each other and that have the same color will explode once they are hit by a ball of their same color. After some seconds, balls will be added to the panel and you have to maintain the panel with little balls without allowing the panel to be completely filled with balls. The first to have their panel filled with balls lose. I used to make tournaments with my sisters playing this game.

Strategy - Command & Conquer

This genre I would give to Command & Conquer, a real time strategy game that dealt of a war between two groups: the Global Defense Initiative (the good ones) and the Brotherhood of Nod (the evil ones). You could play with either of them and battle against each other. In the game you would harvest to sell plants and gain money in order to build buildings for both defense and offense. I remember how joyous was when you got to build the satellite which could send a ray and easily destroy the infidels. :[

Survival Horror - Silent Hill 2

The throne of survival horror games I give to Silent Hill 2 hands down. No other videogame that I have played has had atmosphere of decay, the bizarre happenings that leave us clueless leaving us with those three special words: "What the fuck!?" and the dark, tragic storyline. Unlike several horror videogames that I have played, Silent Hill relies in psychological horror which becomes far more memorable than plain happenings such as dogs jumping out of nowhere and zombies grabbing you by surprise through holes in windows (see Resident Evil), though Silent Hill relies in this too but with a focus in scaring the shit out of you through compelling to use your mind and create and idea of what could happen rather than getting scared for surprising things that come to the screen. And, as I have said in the franchise's official thread here, their use of symbolism helps them to stand out even more from the rest.

Konami has both Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill under their lines, aren't they genius?

RPG - Final Fantasy VII/X

Final Fantasy VII was one of the first RPGs that I ever played along with Alondra. This game introduced all other videogames to the CGs (just thought I should point this out). Playing this game made me fall in love with the characters, the storyline, pretty much everything. There isn't much to say about this game for we all know it. It has one of the most memorable moments within videogames: Aerith's assassination. In sum, this game will be remembered as one of the pillars of RPGs in these days and even in the future for certain.

Regarding Final Fantasy X, I would have to say that it is the strongest RPG I have played concerning storyline with an ending that could even tear apart the grimmest of heart. The only complaint I had was how linear it was but this is something that cannot shadow the greatness of the rest. It is a pity that they decided to make a continuation for it didn't live up to the expectations I would say. The sequel had its moments, I must admit, but they were just those moments elated to the first for the new story, the plot didn't shine much.

I also have to make mention of this Action RPG game from Squaresoft called Vagrant Story. Even when this game is one of the two RPGs I never got to finish (I got stuck before the final boss because I didn't find the fukken key to the fukken room where he/she was) this RPG left a great impression in me due to its gameplay and visuals. The battle system consisted in pressing a button near an enemy (I think it was circle) and then a circle would appear with a size that depended of the range of the weapon carried (you could build a limitless amount of different weapons and shields); what was inside of this circle would be available for hitting, being it arms, head, legs, etc. After a hit you could continue doing combos by pressing the rest of the buttons (to which other techniques would be assigned such as inflicting poison, confuse? you have the idea already). And of course you were able to cast magic spells too.

The other aspect, the visuals, was another thing that caught my eye. This game appeared in the last days of the Playstation One and in those days we were able to see the full capabilities of the system being used. Thus, this game had outstanding visuals with very beautiful landscapes and buildings (I read that the cursed city Leá Monde was modeled after a real city of France so you can imagine). The visuals are just amazing.

In terms of storyline there isn't much complexity in that aspect but there is certainly enough to keep you interested. Still, character models were made spectacularly with there own attitudes and personalities. I just loved that game and I plan to someday finish my unfinished business with it.

Now, this epic post comes to an end. Which are your favorite games?
18.02.2007 - 15:08
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Warman on 17.02.2007 at 19:43

Written by Guest on 17.02.2007 at 17:14

And Silent Hill is really great! My favorite is the first one! I have it on my Playstation.. It's dark, terrifying, it's a damn good Survival Horror game!

I've always wanted to play this remake!!! But I don't have a gamecube..

What remake are you talking about, there is no remake of any Silent Hill game.

He is talking about the resident evil remake for gamecube.

And @ Metal Messiah: Resident Evil 5 will be atleast as much action oriented as RE4, it might even be more since they talked alot on playing with the ingame physics etc during combat and so on. But Im just happy about it, since I loved RE 4
18.02.2007 - 16:23
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@Basso: Ah damn! Really?? But at least it will have zombies.. And I hope to have a good story too. Well, RE4 it wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I expected from a game of the RE serie..
18.02.2007 - 16:27
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.02.2007 at 16:23

@Basso: Ah damn! Really?? But at least it will have zombies.. And I hope to have a good story too. Well, RE4 it wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I expected from a game of the RE serie..

its true it is going to be very action oriented. atlest there are shitloads of zombies
18.02.2007 - 17:43
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@Basso: Damn!! I want a scary RE!!!! With that terros atmosphere of the past... hehe!
18.02.2007 - 21:38
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.02.2007 at 17:43

@Basso: Damn!! I want a scary RE!!!! With that terros atmosphere of the past... hehe!

I highly doubt we will ever experiance that again. Silent Hill is the future of survival horror... But it doesnt look to bright, The 4th installment sucked bigtime
19.02.2007 - 01:29
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Guest on 18.02.2007 at 17:43

I want that too, I want Resident Evil 1 or 2. I don't want action game!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
19.02.2007 - 17:35
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@Basso: But as you said, the last Silent Hill was pure shit! hehehe! I know that someday, RE will be back to the terrifying path of Survival Horror.. I have hope!

@Aronax: Let's send our opinions to Capcom! eheh! I have some friends that also want that..
19.02.2007 - 19:28
APOHAKC
The Bard
@Metal_Messias - Let's do it!
----
19.02.2007 - 19:41
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
@Aronax: Nice!! They will have to listen to us! Or I wii kill them all! heheh!
20.02.2007 - 00:42
APOHAKC
The Bard
With a chainsaw!!! hahahahahaha
----
21.02.2007 - 19:00
Metal_Messias
Account deleted
Written by APOHAKC on 20.02.2007 at 00:42

With a chainsaw!!! hahahahahaha

HauahaauahaUAah! That is the spirit, my friend!!!
25.03.2007 - 04:57
FrOsTmOuRnE
Account deleted
i knew youd choose 7 & 10 cause they are the best Final Fantasys
25.03.2007 - 12:19
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.03.2007 at 04:57

i knew youd choose 7 & 10 cause they are the best Final Fantasys

I dare say that IX is better than X, Tidus' horrible voiceactor and his stupid as fuck dialog really ruins FF X a little for me. And lets not forget the Laugh scene he had with Yuna... HA HA HA HA HA ... *gets antidepressants*
03.07.2008 - 21:49
Infurnace

IMO, Final Fantasy IX is the best one of the series. I've been playing it over and over again, and I don't get bored with it. The graphics are pretty amazing for a PS1 game.
03.07.2008 - 22:04
Hamird
Lieutenant
I'm not into all genres, I just play strategic games and sports!

In sports I like NBA old versions and old Fifa's as well. and also Virtua Tennis 3 and Pro Evolution Soccer series.
then, In Strategic games I like Age of Empires II, Stronghold Crusader and Civilization's last version.
04.07.2008 - 17:41
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Fighting-haven't played that many, but my favorite is still mortal kombat 4

RPG- oh boy.. overall it's hands-down TES 3 Morrowind, but as far as character development/story i'd say Knights of the Old Republic 2 is equal to Morrowind. but MAN did the combat system suck in KOTOR2.

Action/Adventure- a tie between Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Jedi Academy. the combo's you can do in both games kick so much ass..
Sports- probably Fifa 99 or Pro Evolution Soccer, PES because while it's definetely hard to 'get' through the unusual gameplay, it's soo much harder than Fifa, but really it's the most realistic football game in history.

Strategy- Civilization 3 or 4, tied with Warcraft III Frozen Throne and Medieval Total War 2(the first was great but the second one was almost perfect!)

Simulation- The Movies that game!

Racing- probably Crazy Chicken Kart 2(aka Moorhuhn Kart 2)
15.10.2008 - 18:13
Yossarian

Hi,

Strategy: an old one that really hooked me...TZAR.
Action: Marvel Ultimate Alliance or another oldie: Vampire, the Masquerade.
Sports: Nba Live 2003, though I have only play besides the 2000 and the 2007 ones.
RPG: Baldur´s Gate forever.
15.10.2008 - 18:18
Yossarian

Hi again,

I forgot to mention a quite unknown title for racing: Motocross Madness II that I bought as a bonus for a crappy strategy animal game for just 5 pounds, but.... it hooks, men.
17.10.2008 - 14:58
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
Fighting - Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES):
Just got great memories of this game from my childhood, even though I was crap at it. I've never really been into fighting games but there's just something about this that I love and the characters were great.

Platform/Adventure - Super Mario World (SNES):
Mario was and always will be the best platform game, and this was the best of the series.

Strategy - Command And Conquer Red Alert (PC):
Again, I've got lots of great memories of this game from the 90s, like the little troops firing animation. Just great. As for gameplay it's very well balanced and the cheap cutscenes are class.

Shoot 'em up - Doom/Doom II/Final Doom:
Just a classic. Nothing beats this one for pure fucking carnage and hellish atmosphere. Despite the graphics being absolute pap by todays standards this is still the most playable game ever (IMO). It's weird that graphics have improved so much yet there's still something very satisfying about the watching those 2D demons collapse into a pulp on the floor after you chainsaw them down.

I guess I put these old ones down partly for nostalgic reasons, but once you dig them out of the loft (or wherever they've been tucked away) and start playing you just get addicted to them. It's a bit like films though, they just don't make them like they used to.
18.09.2009 - 12:28
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Here's mine, based on how much time I've spent playing them in my life:

Platform:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

FPS:

Medal of Honor

Fighting:

Street Fighter 2

Beat 'Em Up:

Streets of Rage

Action:

GTA IV

Racing:

Gran Turismo 2

Sport:

Football Manager 2008

Simulation:

Transport Tycoon

Puzzle:

Puzzle Bobble

Strategy:

Total Annihilation

Survival Horror:

Obscure

RPG:

Oblivion
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
19.09.2009 - 06:02
Geist

My all time favorite game is Golden Axe II for the Sega Genesis. After that i'd have to go with Super Street Fighter II. I basically grew up playing'em as a kid, amongst other oldschool games.
04.10.2009 - 13:32
Solstafir!

Street Fighter II was so darn addictive during my childhood days...
17.10.2009 - 18:07
GuitarVillian

Platform:

Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master

FPS:

Don't know

Fighting:

Mortal Kombat vs. DC

Beat 'Em Up:

Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance

Action:

Metal Gear Solid 4

Racing:

Don't know

Sport:

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010

Simulation:

Don't know

Puzzle:

Dr Robotnicks mean bean machine

Strategy:

Don't know

Survival Horror:

Don't know

RPG:

TES 4 Oblivion
28.10.2009 - 19:43
Angelic Storm
Melodious
It's really hard to narrow this down to just one game per genre, but here goes!

Beat Em' Up:

Samurai Shodown II

Platform:

Super Mario 64

RPG:

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past

Survival Horror:

Resident Evil 4 (Haven't played the 5th yet )

Racing:

Mario Kart Wii

FPS:

Perfect Dark

Shoot Em' Up:

R. Type

Sports:

Pro Evolution Soccer

Action:

Farenheight

Puzzle:

Super Puzzle Fighter