Metal Storm logo
Bye Bye Music Stores?

Original post

Posted by Branzig, 14.03.2012 - 20:04
I am a collector. I love the hunt of finding that uber-rare import vinyl Darkthrone album. I like to physically hold a copy of my favorite albums; be it vinyl, cd, or cassette, and thumb through the booklet, oogle the artwork, and smell the spilt booze on the jacket (if it's used ).

But something increasingly disturbing has been happening in my hometown, all the DEVOTED record stores are closing. The internet is killing them. Between piracy and just being able to go directly to the distributor's to get your album fix, they are having a hard time keeping up. It's a total bummer.

I know that I could do the same, I could just go to Moribund or Razorback or wherever and get whatever album I really want with my Visa card....but that isn't what its about to me! I like the hunt, I like hitting 3-5 record stores a week to find those rare treasures. I guess I am just bummed that one of my fave hobbies is disappearing, and fast. Within the last year, no less than 15 independent record stores have closed here. One of them was a metal only shop that had some of the rarest and coolest albums I have ever seen (couldn't even find some of that shit on the internet).

Is the same thing happening in your home towns? Are independent record stores going the way of the DoDo where you are at too? It has been one of my dreams to open a record store/bar in my later years, but I think that by the time that comes around, collecting may be a thing of the past....At least people will always want booze and brews I guess

*Just a little extra background info, I have been collecting for about 8 years and I don't only collect metal albums. I am really into 60s era garage rock EP's and Singles. They have the best artwork IMO, plus I love the raw sound and the energy those guys had back then! I also love hard to find classic rock era albums.
19.03.2012 - 14:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Mora's comment is hilariously naive.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.03.2012 - 18:34
Branzig

I think the newspaper is kinda cool, it's a cultral reference....depends on how much she paid haha.

Because if I forked like 35-50 bucks on a collector vinyl or double rare cassette, then paid an additional 5 bucks for shipping...and it showed up in newspaper print...Yeah, I'd be bat-shit crazy mad
----
In Grind We Crust
19.03.2012 - 18:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Branzig on 19.03.2012 at 18:34

Because if I forked like 35-50 bucks on a collector vinyl or double rare cassette, then paid an additional 5 bucks for shipping...and it showed up in newspaper print...Yeah, I'd be bat-shit crazy mad

yeah me too

I hate it when the vinyls are shipped shrink wrapped. Cause in 9 out of 10 times when you remove the shrink wrap the album cover splits at a seam due to the pressuere that has been building up.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2012 - 18:53
Branzig

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 18:46

I hate it when the vinyls are shipped shrink wrapped. Cause in 9 out of 10 times when you remove the shrink wrap the album cover splits at a seam due to the pressuere that has been building up.

Oh Me too!

Or have you ever ordered something international, they don't put it in a pressurized cab so it gets super cold, then it lands, expands (Sometimes WARPS! AGHHH) and warms back up...and of course it is shrink wrapped...so you take the wrap off and then half the LP's cover comes off with it! AHHHHH
----
In Grind We Crust
25.03.2012 - 12:12
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 14:35

Written by Valentin B on 19.03.2012 at 12:47

that's nice and all, but it sounds like they didn't have anything else at hand to wrap it in so they just took some random newspaper

Indeed, cause ost distros wraps the cd's in bubbly plastic for protection.

And that is precisely why I like it

Though, bubble wrap. Dayum. I want some now.
----
7.0 means the album is good
25.03.2012 - 15:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Milena on 25.03.2012 at 12:12

Though, bubble wrap. Dayum. I want some now.

If someone created the most gigantic piece of bubble wrap... He would conquer the world considering no one would give a fuck about it because OMG BUBBLE WRAP IS FUN!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.03.2012 - 15:45
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.03.2012 at 15:14

If someone created the most gigantic piece of bubble wrap... He would conquer the world considering no one would give a fuck about it because OMG BUBBLE WRAP IS FUN!

Truer words have never been spoken.
----
7.0 means the album is good
25.03.2012 - 18:33
Branzig

When I used to work in a warehouse while going to college we would get these giant rolls of bubble-wrap in....and we had a bunch of 5-ton forklifts sitting around...

Laying bubble-wrap all over the floor, then running over it at full speed with a fork-lift...perhaps the most satisfying thing I have ever done.

It was like a fucking orgasm wrapped around a rainbow!
----
In Grind We Crust