Style: Doom metal, Folk metal
Release date: March 2012

01. Intro
02. Deadwood
03. Midwinter Burial
04. Nectar Of The Spirit
05. Solemn
06. Swept Across Time
07. I Wish You Were Here (To Feel My Pain)
08. On The Verge Of Collapse

Somber Eyes is a newly formed project spearheaded by 15-year-old Canadian Tanner Huotari, perhaps better known as local Metal Storm user BoxCar Willy. Unfortunately, this release feels like it was written by a 15-year-old.

Erroneously tagged as a black metal release, Deadwood is in actuality more of a contemporary folk release with hints of singer/songwriter attributes. The songs are relatively short and extremely simple, oftentimes maintaining one or two basic riffs from start to finish. This forces the listener to expect something to happen, as if the first half of a song is a major build-up to something grandiose. You will be disappointed to find out that the second half of each song plays out exactly the same as the first.

Tanner relies solely on the guitar as his weapon of choice, although for a brief moment a few solitary beats of a drum can be heard in the foreground. The only thing more out of place than this oddly placed instrument are the dismal vocals, which are way too high in the mix. It's as if Alexi Murdoch started writing music when he was 15 and tried grunting over his compositions. Simply put, the best part about the vocals is that about 90% of the album is instrumental.

This is essentially a 300-page novel that only tells the beginning of a story. You're introduced to the main character on page one and by the end of the book, all you know is the main character's first name. The lack of substance is enough to drive a listener crazy.

It isn't all bad, though. As simple and uneventful as the material is, there is plenty of potential to be seen here. At the end of the tunnel exists a light, and that light resembles the morose atmosphere created by minimalism and a lack of technicality. But that doesn't leave the listener feeling very good about spending 30 minutes listening to what is essentially five minutes of riffs repeated over the course of eight tracks without any backing instruments.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 5

Written on 15.03.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 59   Visited by: 530 users
16.03.2012 - 02:12
Rating: 10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Before you judge this album, people remember...

Lulu.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.03.2012 - 03:57
Rating: 4
strade
Written by Boxcar Willy on 16.03.2012 at 02:11

Written by strade on 16.03.2012 at 01:43

Haters, man. Haters be bitches.

2012 BM album of the year...

Amirite?

Yep, it's right up there with Black Vulture's latest masterpiece.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
16.03.2012 - 19:27
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Well, here we go:

I expected something, based on the review and comments ... worse.

The vocals were not a problem, on my side of view. The problem for me was the sudden way you changed the instruments without a "warning" and the same riff the whole song. Could be better if you played other different riff sometimes... or maybe highlighting the drums, as the guitar is used too much. You could have played for a few more hours to find some "harmony" in the riffs.

I rated this album with a 5, for the sake of simplicity at all. But they are very skilled for a 15 year old kid. Good luck with your project man!
17.03.2012 - 06:03
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Wow, you already got reviewed here.
I'll check out your album sometime soon.

I read the comments and it's nice to see that you are not taking it too seriously. If I had released an album with the songs I composed when I was 15 I would get a 2 .
You'll get better at it, just don't stop making music.
17.03.2012 - 06:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Unhealer on 17.03.2012 at 06:03

Wow, you already got reviewed here.
I'll check out your album sometime soon.

I read the comments and it's nice to see that you are not taking it too seriously. If I had released an album with the songs I composed when I was 15 I would get a 2 .
You'll get better at it, just don't stop making music.

Thanks

I'm actually Currently working on some drone/industrial/noise stuff.

We'll see how that goes
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.03.2012 - 06:40
Branzig
You know how I feel about it bro...Keep writing and have fun with it!

I just hope that when I put out my album that I get a front page review!

JEALOUS!!!!!
----
In Grind We Crust
17.03.2012 - 06:58
Void Eater
Account deleted
Ouch. The one person who might have given it a merciful review butchered it.

(no but seriously, this is mediocre as hell, but everybody has to start somewhere. Keep it up, you may wind up doing something great someday)
17.03.2012 - 08:49
Vikingr
You know for a kid who's only 15 I'm impressed as hell that he made it on to Metalstorm and released even an album like this, yeah it's simplistic but i have to cut him slack Plus I can't play any instruments or sing so I'm doubly impressed xD Best of luck and I can't wait to hear some more of your stuff
17.03.2012 - 09:01
Kuroboshi
I'll be honest, I have'nt listened to it. But I think it's great that your courageous enough to put yourself out there. If you can take the criticism, you will most likely improve a lot as a musician, and grow as a person. Good luck.
17.03.2012 - 10:04
I'm coming out of my la-la world , to give BoxCar a 9 for courage...
17.03.2012 - 11:04
Rating: 6
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Reminds me a bit of Gallhammer (I'm a Gallhammer fan, Willy, before you start frothing over that comment). The 3rd and 4th songs should have been one song - I didn't even notice it changing over. I agree that it's not black metal, maybe a sort of folk-doom ( a drone/ambient sound might be the way to go based on this) with some rock influences here and there. The vocals aren't that bad, I've heard better and also heard worse (see Gallhammer and Hellhammer's first 2 demos).
Basically(?), flesh the sound out a bit and you're on to something good.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
17.03.2012 - 14:21
Branzig
Written by Merchant of Doom on 17.03.2012 at 10:04

I'm coming out of my la-la world , to give BoxCar a 9 for courage...

I give it a 10+ on courage.

Anyone who hasn't put their art out there for the world to criticize really has no idea how nerve racking it really can be.

Kidz gotz balllz.
----
In Grind We Crust
17.03.2012 - 22:18
TrollandDie
I'm only 17-with no merits to my name as of yet-so I have no right to sound condescending.

However, I will say that at 15 the very fact that you released something is outstanding!

Everyone starts out somewhere, and it's never at the top.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
18.03.2012 - 04:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.03.2012 at 20:18

Just waiting for somebody to accept the band edit, and my profile will be complete.

Done. You should really try to come up with a more Somber pic of yourself kiddo. I am going to DL the album and check it in full but your image doesn't fit what little of your music I have listened to so far nor to the imagery of your album.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

18.03.2012 - 04:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by psykometal on 18.03.2012 at 04:13

Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.03.2012 at 20:18

Just waiting for somebody to accept the band edit, and my profile will be complete.

Done. You should really try to come up with a more Somber pic of yourself kiddo. I am going to DL the album and check it in full but your image doesn't fit what little of your music I have listened to so far nor to the imagery of your album.

Well the one I had that didn't work was a good one, I'm going to edit it again once I find it.

Don't get your hopes up either
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.03.2012 - 15:29
Rating: 5
Dogsbreakfast
OK, I decided I just had to have this album. I admit to paying only $1 on Bandcamp but I have been to Thunder Bay before and, strangely enough, that somehow factored into the decision.
----
dogsbreakfast@hotmail.com
18.03.2012 - 16:20
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Dogsbreakfast on 18.03.2012 at 15:29

OK, I decided I just had to have this album. I admit to paying only $1 on Bandcamp but I have been to Thunder Bay before and, strangely enough, that somehow factored into the decision.

well thanks but I can't imagine you being too impressed with this...
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.03.2012 - 18:19
Rating: 5
Dogsbreakfast
I think this album should be celebrated for how it came to be. It's great that a 15 year-old kid can create something original in his parents' basement and put it out there, over the heads of the record companies and music media. This is a prime example of the democracy of choice that's available today: Unrestricted access to product for consumers and unlimited access to consumers by the artists. Almost anyone can now be part of that fabric and an influence on what follows. Sure, that might create a lot of flotsam, but I prefer that to someone trying to hoist the Sheepdogs on me.
----
dogsbreakfast@hotmail.com
22.03.2012 - 09:18
Rating: 1
Vermoorden
It.....Wasn't awful? I mean Ive heard way worse... 4 or 5 out of 10. Props for making a full length album at your age though! get some more members and this could be a half way decent project!
27.03.2012 - 21:01
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Boxcar, Please tune your guitar properly next time.
28.03.2012 - 04:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by BaneConall on 27.03.2012 at 21:01

I found out after the fact, that my neck wasn't straight, thus creating the tuning issue. I was hoping nobody would notice
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
28.03.2012 - 16:11
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.03.2012 at 04:42

I found out after the fact, that my neck wasn't straight, thus creating the tuning issue. I was hoping nobody would notice

Lol one of my guitars has the same problem. It starts to go out of tune on the higher frets. I feel your pain.
30.03.2012 - 04:57
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by BaneConall on 28.03.2012 at 16:11

Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.03.2012 at 04:42

Lol one of my guitars has the same problem. It starts to go out of tune on the higher frets. I feel your pain.

Yeah, I've got it fixed since then, so it's all good now

Now what can I blame?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.05.2012 - 16:54
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Written by Boxcar Willy on 30.03.2012 at 04:57

Now what can I blame?

Lulu. You can blame Lulu for everything.
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
13.05.2012 - 17:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by ?apleee on 13.05.2012 at 16:54

Now what can I blame?

I object( may be). If you talking about Lulu, I'll thump you. (ignoring Metallica's Lulu ridiculously).
14.05.2012 - 17:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

Now what can I blame?

Well, when I was recording I saw the cover of Lulu, and it must have screwed up my "musical genius" XD
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.05.2012 - 18:02
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Written by Boxcar Willy on 14.05.2012 at 17:12

Now what can I blame?

Well, when I was recording I saw the cover of Lulu, and it must have screwed up my "musical genius" XD

Lulu killed my grandparents years before it was even made. That's how it affected me, what's your story?
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
14.05.2012 - 18:11
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by ?apleee on 14.05.2012 at 18:02

Lulu killed my grandparents years before it was even made. That's how it affected me, what's your story?

It came through my window in the night, and it... did things to me...
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.09.2014 - 18:12
Reaper_Redeemer
Hhahahaha what a drama, rofl rofl rofl...

Hits total: 7050 | This month: 21