Reviewer:

2 users:
Band: Malasangre
Album: Lux Deerit Soli
Style: Drone doom metal
Release date: February 2012

01. Sa Ta
02. Na Ma

Wait, did I read that name right? Malasangre? The black metal band from Italy that fell off the face of the earth after their 2005 release? Huh. I guess I did. Well this is mildly exciting.

I probably would have been more excited if this wasn't such a boring album, though. On paper I was pretty stoked to give it a listen. I mean, a black metal album with doom and sludge thrown in? Hells to the yes, gimme some of that good sir. But like the Philadelphia Eagles last year, what looks good on paper doesn't always equate to success on the field. Or in this case, the recording studio.

So black + doom makes you think early Forgotten Tomb. And you wouldn't be far off in that assumption, only Forgotten Tomb's atmosphere was far more engaging and the songs had more variation. With Lux Deerit Soli, however, the listener has to work a lot harder in order to engage the atmosphere. Which kind of defeats the purpose of writing music that envelops your audience.

Imagine slow, murky, sludgy, doom metal riffs that crawl through time and space at a snail's pace, sometimes pausing for years to rest up before leading the zombie-esque charge into the universe once more. And we aren't talking about those fabled Usain Bolt zombies. We're talking zombies that make quadriplegic's look like an X-43A scramjet. To cut through the shit, it's fucking slow. Now take that slow pace and throw in some garbled black metal shrieks. BOOM there's your formula for over an hour. Two songs. The same thing. One hour. Not good times.

The only possible explanation I have is that the band members either wanted to see if Lou Reed was still interested in fronting a metal band or they wanted to test people to see how much nothing they could handle before shooting themselves in the face. I live 10 stories above the ground. You can't tempt a guy like that.

Assholes.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 5
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 8

Written on 16.03.2012 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 53   Visited by: 163 users
19.03.2012 - 21:10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 21:08

Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.03.2012 at 21:04

Doom + Black generally equals Depressive Black metal or something similar.

No, it doesn't

Funeral doom... close enough.

Doom's depressive lyrics + black metal = depressive black metal.

Don't steal my thunder
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.03.2012 - 21:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.03.2012 at 21:10

No, it doesn't

Don't steal my thunder

depressive black in most cases has nothing to do with doom metal musically whatsoever and there really isn't such a thing as typically doom lyrics.
Genres are defined by their music not their lyrics, image, vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.03.2012 - 21:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.03.2012 at 21:14

No, it doesn't

Don't steal my thunder

depressive black in most cases has nothing to do with doom metal musically whatsoever and there really isn't such a thing as typically doom lyrics.
Genres are defined by their music not their lyrics, image, vocals.

That's how I genarlly see it anyway.

So if that's not it, whats the difference between depressive black and regular black?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.03.2012 - 21:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

No, it doesn't

Don't steal my thunder

Sorry but this is just wrong by miles. No offense but it kind of shows your lack of doom knowledge.

What Troy did wrong here imo is the genres comments, I fail to see much black on this except the vocals but that is not enough to even mention, let alone any comparison to Forgotten Tomb. While I found the ending kind of hilarious, to me this is one of Troy's lesser reviews.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.03.2012 - 21:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.03.2012 at 21:16

No, it doesn't

Don't steal my thunder

Sorry but this is just wrong by miles. No offense but it kind of shows your lack of doom knowledge.

What Troy did wrong here imo is the genres comments, I fail to see much black on this except the vocals but that is not enough to even mention, let alone any comparison to Forgotten Tomb.

You're proabbly right, I know nothing about doom

This is what I get for try to help the situation
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.03.2012 - 21:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.03.2012 at 21:18

There's nothing to do to help any situation really. The label can stand criticism but got offended mostly by the last part of the review + the genres.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.03.2012 - 21:21
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Well, now I feel dumb, as usual
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.03.2012 - 00:30
Merchant of Doom

Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.03.2012 at 21:16

No, it doesn't

Don't steal my thunder

What Troy did wrong here imo is the genres comments, I fail to see much black on this except the vocals but that is not enough to even mention, let alone any comparison to Forgotten Tomb. While I found the ending kind of hilarious, to me this is one of Troy's lesser reviews.

I didn't want to say it (because apparently, I live in la-la land and I'm a doom elitist - nothing further from the truth), but these 3 are major mistakes and, to be honest, the label has every right to feel aggravated. It just reflects the general attitude of the site towards doom. Most doom reviews are full of stereotypes and are caricatures (especially when it's funeral doom). Getting someone who actually knows the genre to review doom releases would be a good idea. Where's DenRoz when you need him?
20.03.2012 - 00:38
I, Voidhanger

Written by X-Ray Rod on 19.03.2012 at 21:20

Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.03.2012 at 21:18

There's nothing to do to help any situation really. The label can stand criticism but got offended mostly by the last part of the review + the genres.

Exactly.

I'm 39 and I professionally write for rock and metal magazines in Italy since I was 25. It would be stupid not to stand criticism when that's what I've done for some 14 years now and still do every month. You can see some of my articles here, a zine that I no longer update, but will make you understand that I'm not new to this: http://digilander.libero.it/voidhanger/sommario_due.htm

Some of you still mention that the low rating pissed me off: I couldn't care less, I don't judge a record by the rating it got. And I don't see why I should stay silent only because I'm the record label. I'm a music lover, first and foremost. I release records already knowing that they won't be appreciated by everybody, I just hope they will get accurated reviews. Malasangre got some reviews with mixed feelings (From The Dust Returned, Heathen Harvest), but they were very accurate (and certainly not offensive), and I quote them with much pleasure because of that.

Actually, I liked Troy's description, the zombie thing was funny... the rest that I didn't like.
20.03.2012 - 00:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Merchant of Doom on 20.03.2012 at 00:30
I didn't want to say it (because apparently, I live in la-la land and I'm a doom elitist - nothing further from the truth)

Oh poor you.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.03.2012 - 00:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by I, Voidhanger on 19.03.2012 at 20:35
Well, this comment indicates that you totally missed the point. The fact you "love" this situation, that you find it funny, explains that for you writing reviews is nothing but a personal show, more than a useful service for those who read. I don't care about low scores, all my releases have got some low ratings, but I didn't go around complaining about that. I did this time, because you called the band members "assholes" in the context of a superficial review where the band has been labeled as "black metal" and compared to a depressive black metal band. We are in the Internet era: you could have done some little seach before writing your review... but above all you could have thought twice before offending the band.

Alright, you probably won't sign in again to read this, but whatever. I'll just "defend" myself so you at least understand where I'm coming from.

I don't actually love the situation. It sucks that labels have a problem with my reviews. But it is what it is. And I do write for personal reasons. In fact, our entire review team is in it for... presumably their love of music and writing. We're volunteers. I try to sort out the good from the bad for my audience. And generally my audience agrees with me. (I kind of have this cult following here, so users generally know whether or not they'll like something based on what I say. It's pretty cool actually.)

And the assholes thing was obviously a joke, that for whatever reason sailed over your head. Did I honestly offend the band members? They must have pretty thin skin. I said this album was so boring it tempted me to jump off my roof. And someone who tempts me to do that is probably an asshole. It's not like I have a grudge. I won't apologize for mislabeling the band as black metal when they're doom. Why don't you call Sam Dunn and let him know Opeth aren't a goth metal band. That's how trivial this is. People will label a band according to what they hear. I heard doom riffs with black metal vocals and that's what I wrote.

Thank you for reminding me that we have the Internet, though. To nobody's surprise, I actually did some research. Didn't find much since they aren't exactly a popular band, but everything I found that was considerably relevant to my review was included. If I do receive another request from you, I'll still review it the same way I review any album - whether I give it a 2 or a 10.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.03.2012 - 00:49
I, Voidhanger

Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.03.2012 at 21:06

Aslo anybody find the titles funny?

Satanama.

What you find hilarious, it's actually Kundalini Yoga, nothing to do with Satan. Google it, and you'll find this:

"SAT NAM and its derivative SA TA NA MA are the two basic mantras taught by Yogi Bhajan to reorient the mind and thus open us up to the possibility of transformational change.
SAT NAM seeds the truth in our consciousness by waking us up to our divine identity. SAT NAM is the seed or bij mantra.

SA TA NA MA incorporates the nuclear sounds of SAT NAM. SA TA NA MA uses the primal sounds to connect us to the evolutionary nature of existence itself. It is referred to as the panch shabd, which means a mantra with five sound currents. The fifth sound is "A." When we chant SA TA NA MA we imprint the evolutionary code of the universe into our human psyche.

SA is the beginning, infinity, the totality of everything that ever was, is or will be.
TA is life, existence and creativity that manifests from infinity.

NA is death, change and the transformation of consciousness.
MA is rebirth, regeneration and resurrection which allows us to consciously experience the joy of the infinite.

SA TA NA MA is so primal that its impact on our psyche is like splitting an atom. The power of his mantra comes from the fact that it rearranges the subconscious mind at the most elementary level. It has the power to break habits and addictions because it accesses the level of the mind where habits are created."

Sorry, I didn't want to sound like a professor, but I think that this info will help some people in focusing the album much better. You miss half of the fun if you don't read the lyrics while listening to the music.
20.03.2012 - 00:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I didn't want to say it (because apparently, I live in la-la land and I'm a doom elitist - nothing further from the truth)

This is probably more annoying than this little quarrel with the label. Can you get over yourself already? You go around here acting like the fucking book of knowledge on all that is metal and when someone finally calls you out on your shit, you get all moody and back down and make passive-aggressive comments like this.

I haven't had any issues with you, in spite of you commenting on most of my reviews to tell me I got the genre and/or rating wrong. But this little side-show whinefest is honestly just a piss-off to read.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.03.2012 - 01:15
I, Voidhanger

Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.03.2012 at 00:40

Written by I, Voidhanger on 19.03.2012 at 20:35
Well, this comment indicates that you totally missed the point. The fact you "love" this situation, that you find it funny, explains that for you writing reviews is nothing but a personal show, more than a useful service for those who read. I don't care about low scores, all my releases have got some low ratings, but I didn't go around complaining about that. I did this time, because you called the band members "assholes" in the context of a superficial review where the band has been labeled as "black metal" and compared to a depressive black metal band. We are in the Internet era: you could have done some little seach before writing your review... but above all you could have thought twice before offending the band.

Alright, you probably won't sign in again to read this, but whatever. I'll just "defend" myself so you at least understand where I'm coming from.

I don't actually love the situation. It sucks that labels have a problem with my reviews. But it is what it is. And I do write for personal reasons. In fact, our entire review team is in it for... presumably their love of music and writing. We're volunteers. I try to sort out the good from the bad for my audience. And generally my audience agrees with me. (I kind of have this cult following here, so users generally know whether or not they'll like something based on what I say. It's pretty cool actually.)

And the assholes thing was obviously a joke, that for whatever reason sailed over your head. Did I honestly offend the band members? They must have pretty thin skin. I said this album was so boring it tempted me to jump off my roof. And someone who tempts me to do that is probably an asshole. It's not like I have a grudge. I won't apologize for mislabeling the band as black metal when they're doom. Why don't you call Sam Dunn and let him know Opeth aren't a goth metal band. That's how trivial this is. People will label a band according to what they hear. I heard doom riffs with black metal vocals and that's what I wrote.

Thank you for reminding me that we have the Internet, though. To nobody's surprise, I actually did some research. Didn't find much since they aren't exactly a popular band, but everything I found that was considerably relevant to my review was included. If I do receive another request from you, I'll still review it the same way I review any album - whether I give it a 2 or a 10.

I don't know who Sam Dunn is, but the fact you're in good company doesn't make me feel better! And what you call "trivial" is actually the work of a band and of a label. At this point, I'm glad you didn't hear some rap and hip hop in Malasangre, or it would have been me to jump off the roof!
As for the Internet thing, you just had to check the label homepage, all the info are there!

Anyway, no hard feelings. I released a record and you reviewed it. You wrote a review and I commented it. Surely my aim is not to make you apologize for anything... except maybe the asshole thing, it was difficult to see the irony. That's all.
20.03.2012 - 01:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by I, Voidhanger on 20.03.2012 at 01:15
That's all.

No worries then. It's understandable that people like you (labels, band members, people outside of the community here) see a review I write and immediately take offense. Because admittedly, my reviews do tend to border into controversial territory. It happens.

My goal is to please my audience more so than you, though. I want my readers to be entertained, because that way they think about looking into it for themselves or if they can take my review on faith, maybe they know they don't need to waste their time. For the most part I receive a ton of positive comments on my reviews, even when people disagree. So I'm doing my job here. Unfortunately I get some flak from people a little more "high up". You try to find balance.
----
20.03.2012 - 09:49
Merchant of Doom

Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.03.2012 at 00:57

This is probably more annoying than this little quarrel with the label. Can you get over yourself already? You go around here acting like the fucking book of knowledge on all that is metal and when someone finally calls you out on your shit, you get all moody and back down and make passive-aggressive comments like this.

I haven't had any issues with you, in spite of you commenting on most of my reviews to tell me I got the genre and/or rating wrong. But this little side-show whinefest is honestly just a piss-off to read.

I don't remember telling you you got the genre wrong before (this is the first time - but then, I wasn't the only one). The rating, yes, but that's matter of opinion. To be honest, what bugs me is the attitude of you lot. Yes, you can have attitude, but at least some reviewers could show some respect, without insulting or using a condescending tone. Having said that, sometimes I forget you are mostly young people and I am an old fart.
21.03.2012 - 03:24
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.03.2012 at 01:08

I'll be 21 soon.

I fear for those who request a review from me.

No shit. People think the reviews are bad now, can't wait to see what the reviews are like when you can legally go buy a six pack or a handle to chug off of while you listen to the albums and write the reviews...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

21.03.2012 - 03:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by psykometal on 21.03.2012 at 03:24

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.03.2012 at 01:08

I'll be 21 soon.

I fear for those who request a review from me.

No shit. People think the reviews are bad now, can't wait to see what the reviews are like when you can legally go buy a six pack or a handle to chug off of while you listen to the albums and write the reviews...

I can't wait for that day
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.03.2012 - 02:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by psykometal on 21.03.2012 at 03:24
...can't wait to see what the reviews are like when you can legally go buy a six pack or a handle to chug off of...

The drinking age in Ontario is 19, and 18 in Alberta.
----
22.03.2012 - 02:41
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.03.2012 at 02:37

The drinking age in Ontario is 19, and 18 in Alberta.

So not fair...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

22.03.2012 - 07:52
Sonic MrSumo

The review of the review by the label was hilarious! Nice!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
29.05.2012 - 13:44
IronAngel

Controversy aside, this is a likeable record. I'm not sure it justifies its length, but it's certainly not unpleasant.
30.06.2016 - 01:29
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
This is the worst review on MS made by what must a complete drone-doom noob and the comments in this thread are just Imagine the work these guys put in to be celebrated by a bunch of monkeys

Hits total: 6192 | This month: 9