01. One Step Beyond
02. Vicious Connection
03. Color
04. Dead End
05. Beat Hunter
06. The Bridge
07. Smooth
08. As We Dance

Christ almighty...guys...is metal allowed to be this funky? There's a buttload of talent going on here, is all I can say. This jazzy slab of prog has to be one of the most adventurous albums to come out in years.

One Step Beyond is one confusing ass album. One moment, you will be hearing some funky jazz album, the next, you'll be listening to some African style music fused into some funk along the lines of George Clinton & Parliament, maybe with a touch of some Prince. Right, so here I'm thinking "what the fuck, Season Of Mist? What have you?..." Before I can complete this thought, it breaks into some Primus-featuring-Zakk Wylde shit. Of course, there's some saxophone here and there, you can't have tr00 jazz-core without saxophone, duh! Also, turntables. Yes, turntables, yes they sound great, and no, neither Fred Durst nor Slipknot are part of this equation.

So you've got an idea of what the components are - how does it all pan out? Well, it's groovy as shit is what it is. Every instrument is played with mouth-watering precision and technical prowess, yet everything is tasteful. There's a certain emphasis on subtleties here that doesn't seem typical for a lot of prog. A certain respect is held toward the overall feel, rather than constant showing off, despite the fact all the members are fantastic musicians.

Here I thought I really didn't have a taste for prog, yet I'm blown away by this. Sure, Step In Fluid may not be for everyone. It's certainly not a "metal" record in your traditional sense, but it seems like something that would appeal to metal fans with a distinct taste for funky jazz. In fact, this seems like less of a jazz-influenced-metal album, but more of a jazz album played through (mostly) heavy metal instruments.

Written on 17.03.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 34   Visited by: 360 users
17.03.2012 - 12:36
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Three words: jazz, funky, prog --> I am sold. By the way, no vocals here?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.03.2012 - 13:31
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Whoa
----
17.03.2012 - 13:43
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Very zappa-ey
----
17.03.2012 - 15:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Seems like the kind of prog I might like specially considering that I know how you aren't exactly a prog-guy either. Thanks for the heads up.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.03.2012 - 23:11
wormdrink414
elite
I want this. Can never get enough funk.
18.03.2012 - 07:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Interesting review but it seems like with a 9.5 you'd be praising it a lot more. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.03.2012 - 07:14
Moose
The main man behind this is Trepalium's guitarist.... and I always loved that bands funky guitar riffs... gonna check this out ASAP, cheers!
19.03.2012 - 10:42
neonxaos
This is seriously good stuff, groovy all the way.
19.03.2012 - 11:06
InnerSelf
proofread free
Yeah more jazzy stuff please will probably be enjoying this
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
19.03.2012 - 14:21
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Finally, these guys get some more attention!
Completely agree with the review. I loved the album and it was great to see how funky and groovy Harun had made the whole album still incorporating metal styles into it. A brilliant guitarist along with a crazy drummer and some nice groovy bass lines.
Since there is a review now, you guys can visit the thread I made last year
Step in Fluid
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
19.03.2012 - 14:29
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Does this sound anything like Panzerballett? It seems so.
Either way, absolutely sold.

EDIT: Nothing like Panzer, but sounds good. I'm blasting it @ work and the guys are liking it.
20.03.2012 - 09:34
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
This is quite similar to Fluxious minus the vocals. Great find, Doc! Guys, you can listen to the album at Deezer (after registering with facebook).

P.S. My number of posts has reached quite a proggy number.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

20.03.2012 - 13:11
maged918
Sounds incredible, definitely trying it out
20.03.2012 - 16:54
Edmund Fogg
I am now officialy teased. I gotta get my hands on this.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
20.03.2012 - 23:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by K✞ulu on 20.03.2012 at 09:34
This is quite similar to Fluxious minus the vocals.

This could explain why I dig this but not Fluxious, wasn't too keen on the vocals. I dunno, quite annoying at times.
I don't find the music that similar though. This feels far more funky while Fluxious was more jazzy... Not to mention that Step In Fluid is far more metal based to me. Similar wavelength but still pretty different.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.03.2012 - 23:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.03.2012 at 23:28

Written by K✞ulu on 20.03.2012 at 09:34
This is quite similar to Fluxious minus the vocals.

This could explain why I dig this but not Fluxious, wasn't too keen on the vocals. I dunno, quite annoying at times.
I don't find the music that similar though. This feels far more funky while Fluxious was more jazzy... Not to mention that Step In Fluid is far more metal based to me. Similar wavelength but still pretty different.

Probably, you are right as far as one being more jazzy while the other more funky; both, however, similarly combine metal and their respective genres. Plus, both are quite groovy. Step in Fluid also sound more technical and indeed heavier, but it is interesting how similar their guitar tones are .
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

20.03.2012 - 23:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
S'pretty funky stuff. Has members of Trepalium which explains a lot. I like the mercifully short 30 minute length, I'm not sure I'd want it any longer.
21.03.2012 - 02:00
DelightfulJim
I really enjoyed this album
21.03.2012 - 11:46
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Hmmm, I'm down. As long as it's Violent and Funky, BRING IT.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
21.03.2012 - 23:59
This album is actually quite eermmmmmm over-rated (though it's really good and weird great actually)
22.03.2012 - 16:18
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Perfectly agree with the review, this is not that funky really, but very jazz-proggy indeed. Could've been more variety in the song writing. A solid 8 in my book.
22.03.2012 - 18:18
Rupert
Judging by the myspace songs, it's not that jazzy. So far one song had a jazzy solo in it, the rest was pure groovy metalfunk. That being said, good shit, thanks for the review Doc!
22.03.2012 - 21:35
Panterica
I run into a lot of jazz-infused-metal lately so I'm kinda turned off by the idea of getting to know another band which seems to fit to that genre. Nevertheless, I'm curious. I might give it a shot.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
22.03.2012 - 23:17
Sonic MrSumo
From the review, I'm thinking early Mr. Bungle; i.e. Love Is A Fist...amazing song!
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
23.03.2012 - 23:26
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Just a pity theres so much repititions within the songs...sort of goes on a loop. Funky though, its a bit of a "Pink Panther" meets "Starsky & Hutch". Thats the only way I can summarise it lol
25.03.2012 - 01:15
a MasT
Maybe im a biased jazz guy but this rocks balls
25.03.2012 - 10:20
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Sounds mostly like early Primus to me... But pretty groovy none-the-less!
26.03.2012 - 01:35
Grody2themax
Written by Guest on 20.03.2012 at 23:54

S'pretty funky stuff. Has members of Trepalium which explains a lot.

Wow, I just found two fucking awesome bands I never knew existed until now. Step In Fluid and Trepalium. I have some listening to do.
26.03.2012 - 02:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Grody2themax on 26.03.2012 at 01:35
Trepalium

They're insanely groovy, funked-out death metal and they display a ton of technicality without detracting from their ability to make you dance. Very fun band.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.03.2012 - 02:51
Grody2themax
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2012 at 02:30

Written by Grody2themax on 26.03.2012 at 01:35
Trepalium

They're insanely groovy, funked-out death metal and they display a ton of technicality without detracting from their ability to make you dance. Very fun band.

Yes, and to put it more simply than that, Trepalium is the non hipster version of IWRESTLEDABEARONCE that is actually good.

Hits total: 7247 | This month: 18