07. Clanner Of The Light
08. To The Havenrod
09. The Walls Of Laemnil
10. Anmorkenta
11. In Duna
12. The Story Remains
13. Look Into Lost Years
14. Across The Endless Sea [bonus]

Fairyland hail from France and managed to return during 2006 under the friendly veil of Napalm Records with their second full-length release (third if you take into consideration the album "Realm Of Wonders" which was released under the bandname "Fantasia"). The name of the album is "The Fall Of An Empire" and this is the first time for me to come across this band, a band that left me some very positive thoughts being an old fan of both Rhapsody Of Fire (well, Rhapsody back then..) and Blind Guardian.

Why did i mention those two bands? Simply because Fairyland are highly influenced by them! Up to an extent this may be something negative, but in this case it's not; the blending of the influences coming straight from the aforementioned bands along with some personal references, the top quality musicianship and the high inspiration of the band work positively together in order to form an album that won't disappoint the fans of the symphonic power metal scene! Everything you're longing for is here and first of all i'd like to refer to the virtuozo guitar and keyboard work that lies adorned with well-conceived, but above all over the top well-expressed, lyrical solos, strong riffing, acoustic chords and atmosphere-evoking and enchanted symphonic keyboard passages that have a sense of times lost in the spectre of magic. As for the vocal lines, an exceptional work has been done on this sector, a blending of Hansi Kursch and Fabio Lione is vivid, the more emotional and intense passages resemble to Rhapsody On Fire's vocalist whereas the more sing-along polyphonic and sonically melodic ones show a Blind Guardian face, nevertheless the vocals are just fabulous, lyrical and epic, just like they have to be! A good addition have to be choir passages that create a cinema-like feeling along with the keyboard passages and the beautiful and emotional female vocals that make their appearance a few times in the album, like on "Eldanie Uelle", "Look Into Lost Years" and "In Duna"! The drumming is pretty good, keeping the tempo and lending groove to the songs, yet the bass lines are a bit buried in the production, i don't think that this is something so negative after all since the band is based on atmosphere a lot and this is what should be on the foreground!

In the album you'll find a variety of atmospheres, something very interesting if i may say, it never fails to sound epic, but the epic feeling is being expressed through various faces, it may sound melancholic, desperate, ominous, fairy-like or imposing! The only negative part i found on "The Fall Of An Empire", consisting of 13 compositions, has to be the fact that it lasts for more than 60 minutes. Something this may bore the listener a bit as the album slowly approaches the end, it happened to me, not to a big scale though, but it did happen, it could be the fact that i'm not a symphonic power/epic metal fan anymore for years now, but that's the only negative impression the album gave me.

All in all, Fairyland's "The Fall Of An Empire" is a very good album that won't disappoint the fans of this very scene, proceed and enjoy a trip through fairylands and dark landscapes!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 30.10.2006 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 89 users
30.10.2006 - 23:01
Talvi

I like a lot their first album (as Fairyland) but for me it's an album that gets old very soon. Even though, it was good because of the vocalist. Does this new vocalist do a good performance compared to the previous one?
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
30.10.2006 - 23:13
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Talvi on 30.10.2006 at 23:01

I like a lot their first album (as Fairyland) but for me it's an album that gets old very soon. Even though, it was good because of the vocalist. Does this new vocalist do a good performance compared to the previous one?

I don't know how the previous vocalist sounded like, it was the first time i listened to Fairyland, but this vocalist did a very good job on the vocals, at least for me
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
31.10.2006 - 01:06
Talvi

Written by KwonVerge on 30.10.2006 at 23:13

Written by Talvi on 30.10.2006 at 23:01

I don't know how the previous vocalist sounded like, it was the first time i listened to Fairyland, but this vocalist did a very good job on the vocals, at least for me

Yeah, but was that vocalist what made me look for Fairyland, cuz she was who made Dark Moor trully great, and I wanted more from her.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
31.10.2006 - 01:07
PyRaMaZe
Account deleted
The new vocalist (Max Leclercq from Magic Kingdom) actually sounds somewhat similiar sometimes to the first vocalist, even though the previous vocalist, Elisa C. Martin, was a woman. I really liked her voice, was quite clean and angelic. Max seems to be a good choice to continue the band IMO. Hope I can hear more from Elisa in the future with other bands,
31.10.2006 - 03:01
danzig111
Account deleted
Man I want to hear this album so bad, but i cannot find samples yet!
02.11.2006 - 06:53
Rating: 7
Susan
Smeghead
Thanks Rozz!! I didn't even know Fairyland HAD a new album, now I'll rush to the store and buy it. I loved their last album and am sure this won't disappoint.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
02.11.2006 - 07:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Could these guys have a gayer name? Like...The Rosie O'Donnell Kmart Extravaganza?

sry...I"m bored...
03.11.2006 - 10:08
Rating: 9
rlagksquf

the best epic metal album in 2006
03.11.2006 - 23:58
danzig111
Account deleted
@pyroleprechaun: i would lash out at you for being a 'smurf-metaller' insulting Power Metal......however.....I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree with you . It is a gay name they have......

But anyway, I've heard the sample and, i don't like the new singer.....ewww, they were so much better on the last album!
13.12.2006 - 08:08
Rating: 7
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2006 at 07:39

Could these guys have a gayer name?

HAHAHAH!!!!!!! No, you're so right. I am a fan and I totally agree. Probably THE "gayest" name in metal that I can think of.

Anyway, I have the album now and love it. Yes, you can definitely hear the Rhasody influence but IMO it's not prohibitive. (If you're going to be influenced you may as well be influenced by someone good!) Fairyland puts their own stamp on this rather generic style of symphonic-euro-power metal; as with their debut, this is an album I'll be listening to for years to come.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
19.04.2007 - 03:48
Rating: 9
Oracle
Orcinus
This album is so awesome. i just got it recently and i was so impressed with it. i think its one of my favourite albums atm.
28.06.2007 - 20:26
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
The Raise of FairyLand !!
23.10.2007 - 10:54
moonton
Account deleted
nice
25.09.2009 - 12:57
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Very great epic symphonic metal