‹‹ Back to the General music forum
Users visited: 33  
Search this topic:  

!J.O.O.E.!

19.03.2012 at 17:40
If there's any non-metal band that could give any metal band a run for their money in pure perfection it would be Boards of Canada. Neither are they made of boards or are they from Canada, they are in fact a downtempo ambient and electronic duo from Scotland. They've been around since the mid-Eighties but only have 3 full lengths and a smattering of other tracks to their name but they're pretty much universally lauded for their unique, nostalgia-driven tones. In fact I've looked far and wide for artists and outfits that have a similar approach and the closest I've come is another Scottish artist called Christ. who actually collaborated with Boards of Canada for a long while (he's quite excellent too). Tycho is the only other artist I've heard that could be compared to them and he's only moderately similar. Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works... records do bear some similarity come to think of it. At any rate Boards of Canada are amazing and you should all give them your undivided attention, forever. Music Has The Right To Children and Geogaddi are regarded as the best releases from the duo but I also hold a soft spot for The Campfire Headphase which absorbed some post-rock influence into their sound. It's all great anyway, their music is varied, clever, relaxing but also contemplative. A couple of their tracks was also in the Until The Light Takes Us black metal documentary too (as well as numerous tracks featuring in the likes of Top Gear, Spaced etc. and on David Firth's awesome Salad Fingers animations). For the more illicit of you this is the ultimate come down band.

A particularly difficult band to Youtube clips from as each album traverses a number of varied electronic textures and approaches so odd tracks might seem rather disjointed. But a few favourites:

(hugely fun song)
----
Branzig

19.03.2012 at 18:29
Thanks for sharing!

It's definitely some killer tunes...I love crazy elctropop. Almost reminds me of a live Beck show. Beck DJs a lot at his shows and plays crazy sound bits and loops noises. And his bassist is one of the most talented guys on the planet, he just improvs crazy funk all over the place while the drummer just nails the back-drop. MMM yummy...going to go listen to some now!
----
In Grind We Crust
!J.O.O.E.!

19.03.2012 at 18:55
Written by Branzig on 19.03.2012 at 18:29

Thanks for sharing!

It's definitely some killer tunes...I love crazy elctropop. Almost reminds me of a live Beck show. Beck DJs a lot at his shows and plays crazy sound bits and loops noises. And his bassist is one of the most talented guys on the planet, he just improvs crazy funk all over the place while the drummer just nails the back-drop. MMM yummy...going to go listen to some now!

The idea of calling this band "pop" hurts me inside but they are indeed very popular ;]
----
Slayer666
>----[knee]---|>

19.03.2012 at 20:12
Interesting, but a bit underwhelming IMHO. Prolly takes some time and patience for everything to properly sink in, though. Definitively a lot of potential, will be trying them out some more later.
!J.O.O.E.!

21.03.2012 at 18:22
Written by Slayer666 on 19.03.2012 at 20:12

Interesting, but a bit underwhelming IMHO. Prolly takes some time and patience for everything to properly sink in, though. Definitively a lot of potential, will be trying them out some more later.

Cool, well I know lots of people who find them flat out boring. I think I liked them from the very first song so I dunno. Could be a band you could learn to like.
----
Nosurper
Stinky Lips

28.03.2012 at 20:32
Amazing group, their beats carry a heavy dose of serenity
----
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust

28.03.2012 at 21:12
Loved them since I first watched "Salad Fingers" years ago... the haunting "Beware the Friendly Stranger" was used and I went out and picked up Geogaddi immediately. Can't get enough of the darker electronic/ambient stuff...
Demerzel

22.04.2013 at 17:37
News (hopefully) about the new record here.

An interesting marketing campaign, if it's even supposed to be that.
Can't see how they can mess up, seeing as how everything they've released to far was awesome.
!J.O.O.E.!

22.04.2013 at 17:45
Yeah I saw that earlier. Exciting stuff to say the least.
----
!J.O.O.E.!

22.04.2013 at 17:48
Written by Introspekrieg on 28.03.2012 at 21:12

Loved them since I first watched "Salad Fingers" years ago... the haunting "Beware the Friendly Stranger" was used and I went out and picked up Geogaddi immediately. Can't get enough of the darker electronic/ambient stuff...

Actually Salad Fingers / general David Firth animations were my first meeting with them. I just wish it wasn't so hard to find artists with styles exactly like this.
----
Demerzel

29.04.2013 at 21:43
Well, it's official now.
Link
!J.O.O.E.!

24.05.2013 at 18:09
New BoC song. Not sure how I feel about it. It sounds a bit standard, though of decent quality.

----
BoxCar Willy
John Doe

25.05.2013 at 00:35
Anyone else notice that most of their songs are right at the 5 minute mark?
----
Pop punk crusader
Demerzel

26.05.2013 at 22:41
It is a bit standard, but I can't say I often listen to them song by song so I won't be making assumptions based on a single song.
I usually go for one whole album or if I'm in the mood, all three of them.

Written by BoxCar Willy on 25.05.2013 at 00:35

Anyone else notice that most of their songs are right at the 5 minute mark?

Music Has the Right to Children
Geogaddi
The Campfire Headphase

Apart from a few songs, no.
!J.O.O.E.!

04.06.2013 at 23:00
While I don't think the new album is going to topple any of the other albums, it's actually satisfyingly BoC-sounding enough. I think repeated listens will be even more enjoyable. Not bad at all.

Come To Dust is a fantastic song.
----
Demerzel

05.06.2013 at 23:46
There's a bunch of stand out tracks, which is quite strange considering their previous works. Anyway, I like the album very much.
I see it like this: MHTRTC>Geogaddi>The Campfire Headphase=Tomorrow's Harvest
A great addition to their already fantastic discography.
!J.O.O.E.!

17.06.2013 at 22:59
Still my favourite track off the new one.

----

Advertise on Metal Storm

Login or register to post here.