Metal Storm logo
Babymetal (where nu metal meets J-pop)

Original post

Posted by bj_waters, 20.03.2012 - 01:36
Because I must inflict this upon others, I give you two singles from Babymetal, the newest project from Japan for driving people like us insane.

It's like the worst parts of nu metal and J-Pop were blended together. And if you think this one was bad, watch the other one. Just wait for the "rap" segment. You'll know it when you see it.

inb4 Japan is weird. This goes beyond "weird;" this hurts. The thing is, I like some J-Pop (mostly because I like electronic music in general), and I like heavy metal (obviously), and I even wouldn't mind if there wasn't some kind of fusion between the two, but it would MOST DEFINITELY NOT sound like this. This is just painfully bad.

Nevertheless, my opinions aside, what are your reactions?
18.08.2014 - 02:52
AnnaNidstaang

Written by Guest on 17.08.2014 at 22:09

I love Babymetal, mainly due to the reactions that all of you people have when someone mentions them and for that, I think they are one of the most metal bands out there. Not too many bands can make all you hardasses freak out like little girls

I also like J-Pop so there...

EDIT: That being said, I am a firm believer that Babymetal needs to be featured on this site. The band, like it or not, has strong metal elements in its music. If this site lets stuff like Igorrr (which is not metal, its just breakcore with some metal guitars mixed in) on this site, then we can fucking have Babymetal on here.

Absolutely agree with the first part! The best part about them is making trve kvlt metalheads freak out.
And also agree with the Igorrr stuff. Both or no one.
----
Here at the edge of this world... Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone. If this grand panorama before me is what you call God...
Then God is not dead.
18.08.2014 - 02:59
Ilham
Giant robot
This is off-topic, but I still think it's pointless to argue whether or not a band has to be added because another one that happens to be less metal is already featured. For every example you will find a counter-example. This must have been said like a hundred times, sorry to be that boring person who brings it up again.
18.08.2014 - 14:12
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Is this band a metal band with J-Pop elements or a J-Pop band who likes to include some metal in their music?

Also, I find it VERY funny that some young asian chicks are making such a huge discussion on a serious metalsite
18.08.2014 - 16:52
Jtbmetal123

Im not a fan of them. its think its crap. They need to get a real job.
18.08.2014 - 17:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 18.08.2014 at 16:52
Im not a fan of them. its think its crap. They need to get a real job.

They probably have a higher annual income than a lot of posters in this thread...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.08.2014 - 17:46
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Fallen Ghost on 18.08.2014 at 14:12

Is this band a metal band with J-Pop elements or a J-Pop band who likes to include some metal in their music?

More or less a mixture of the two. Both elements are constant in their songs with the metal is usually in the background while the J-Pop is in the forefront.
19.08.2014 - 00:19
wrathchild

It's worth mentioning that the 2 songs in the OP are the two that lean more towards J-pop. The intro to the album is, for instance, leaning toward melodeath with a touch of Nevermore:

Now I'm not even sure I want them officially featured, I mean I would like to but I just don't want to see a rise of immature comments as can be seen on blabbermouth everytime they post something about Babymetal. Sadly I don't think Metal Storm's audience is open-minded enough. But yeah, I'd be happy to have them removed from the blacklist.

EDIT: and now they're featured - Babymetal
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
19.08.2014 - 01:21
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 18.08.2014 at 17:46

Written by Fallen Ghost on 18.08.2014 at 14:12

More or less a mixture of the two. Both elements are constant in their songs with the metal is usually in the background while the J-Pop is in the forefront.

Certainly not during their show.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.08.2014 - 01:36
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Guib on 19.08.2014 at 01:21

Written by Guest on 18.08.2014 at 17:46

Certainly not during their show.

Checked a live performance on Youtube out of curiousity, didn't knew they could sound that heavy actually.. That is when the girls is not singing though, then it just sounds really comic
06.09.2014 - 02:40
cipheron

This stuff isn't really new in Japan, but pop/metal fusion bands are pretty underground there. A large number bands been around doing stuff like this for years - cute japanese girls fronting metal bands of various types, usually related to the anime or gaming scene, doing metalized covers of jpop, anime music and game tracks.

It's kinda sad that Babymetal is a studio production / mass produced version and looks like it's going to become the "face" of this scene. In fact, Japanese metal bands with female vocals and some level of "cuteness" (usually perfoming in cosplay etc) are dime a dozen, going back way before these 15 year olds were signed up by their record label, but now any other existing bands of this type will now inevitably get labeled as "babymetal clones" if they start getting international recognition. And that really sucks.

07.09.2014 - 00:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by cipheron on 06.09.2014 at 02:40

This stuff isn't really new in Japan, but pop/metal fusion bands are pretty underground there. A large number bands been around doing stuff like this for years - cute japanese girls fronting metal bands of various types, usually related to the anime or gaming scene, doing metalized covers of jpop, anime music and game tracks.

You mean like touhou metal? =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.09.2014 - 05:13
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by wrathchild on 19.08.2014 at 00:19

It's worth mentioning that the 2 songs in the OP are the two that lean more towards J-pop. The intro to the album is, for instance, leaning toward melodeath with a touch of Nevermore:

Now I'm not even sure I want them officially featured, I mean I would like to but I just don't want to see a rise of immature comments as can be seen on blabbermouth everytime they post something about Babymetal. Sadly I don't think Metal Storm's audience is open-minded enough. But yeah, I'd be happy to have them removed from the blacklist.

They are blacklisted ? Lol, gosh. Well not that I care that much but yeah, you're right that doesn't sound too open-minded.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
17.09.2014 - 12:33
Skeletonryche95

Never thought babymetal would actually become a thing since this topic was created. Seen them featured in Metal Hammer uk recently. Good for them, I guess.
17.09.2014 - 19:19
BreadGod
Account deleted
I still don't understand why so many people like them so much. The actual metal is subpar and the "cute" vocals make me cringe. As far as I'm concerned, they're a novelty act that will eventually be forgotten.