03. Wings Of Death
04. Iron Coffin
05. Bloodfeast
06. Slavish Obedience
07. Opus Putrescence
08. Black Paled Elegy
09. Crowned In Darkness
10. Subconcious Error

Has Dan Swanö always buried everything in drums like this? Honestly, can anyone tell me? He's world renowned for producing, mixing, and mastering death metal, yet I can't recall ever hearing something so unintentionally drum-focused as this. Sure, he just did the mastering on this typical old school death metal release, but there's something remarkably incongruous about this sound.

It's strange, really strange. The buzzsaw guitars give off the impression Revel In Flesh were going for some raw, old school DIY type recording, while the percussion sounds like it was targeted for something a little more modern and hi-fi. Oh well, at least it gives this album a certain character it otherwise wouldn't have, as Deathevokation is another one of those old school death metal records that sounds great while you're in the midst of listening to it, but otherwise ain't anything special. It's got grooves, it's chunky, it's fast and vicious...but you've heard it before. It's been proven that you can have character while still playing a bread-and-butter style form of death metal, hell, take a look at Martin Van Drunen as a grand example of that being done well. Unfortunately, Revel In Flesh don't have a single member who comes anywhere close to giving this thing some character...And no, having mismatched recording sound shouldn't really count as having "character".

Deathevokation is another middle-of-the-pack death metal record. They know what they're doing, and they do it well, better than a lot of bands, in fact. Put these guys in a line-up with any number of other "ok" death metal bands, however; differentiating them is harder than completing a Where's Waldo? book while going through a severe onset of epilepsy.

Yeah, fellas, this is another "check out if you like death metal, but don't expect anything great" sort of reviews. Sorry to waste your time.

Written on 23.03.2012 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 86 users
23.03.2012 - 21:02
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Yes, very unoriginal. That is something I can't stand in death metal.

5 for me.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.03.2012 - 23:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.03.2012 at 21:02

Yet you give Cannibal Corpse's second to last album an 8.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.03.2012 - 00:34
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.03.2012 at 23:30

Written by Boxcar Willy on 23.03.2012 at 21:02

Yet you give Cannibal Corpse's second to last album an 8.

They are an exception to the rule
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 3286 | This month: 5