02. Reborn
03. Fictionating The Present
04. Beyond The End
05. Theater Of Faith
06. Remains Of Reality
07. Leaving My Root
08. Hunting Sinners
09. Violentango

Reborn is the second album from Argentinian metallers Thabu, which clearly have set their sights on the heavy/power metal tradition.

In terms of their ability as musicians, it is undeniable that they are a capable group but that is rarely fully materialized in the form of good songs. It just goes to show that technical prowess isn't enough to create strong albums. There is a misconception that you need to impress with impossible riffs or tempo changes but, at the same time, there is a fine line between showing versatility and just trying too hard or exaggerating. For instance, the vocals are too exaggerated and too similar to Symphony X's Russell Allen for their own good. Some bands aren't very original but still manage to write passionate songs which spark an interest, something that is lacking in Reborn. The band would benefit from a little bit more individuality.

But not everything is bad. The band seems stronger on their instrumental and mellower side, and when they incorporate their Latin roots into their songs like they do in "Violentango", which is a roller coaster of dynamics. "Beyond The End", a ballad, shows their softer side and is one of their shiniest songwriting moments where the vocals are more controlled and subtle. Thabu typically use galloping heavy riffs, anthemic choruses, energetic solos and try to have a progressive edge, and all of this actually flows well together. "Remains Of Reality", an instrumental track, is one of the few songs which manages to grab our attention instantly and hold it without demanding much of an effort to keep listening. The bass assumes the lead and takes the song to new heights. Unfortunately, that is all very little to get us excited about. You're not getting much juice out of this orange.

Most of all, the problem with this album is that it ends up being more on the generic side of things. While we find good ideas here, it lacks imagination and more quality songs that aren't predictable, as simple as that.

Written on 24.03.2012 by News chief, random reviewer, professional progger and wannabe surfer.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 73 users
25.03.2012 - 15:42
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Strange, never even heard about them O.o
Let's see...
26.03.2012 - 01:04
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Hmmm...I hear very well executed Prog Metal here. I do agree with the Symphony X/Russel Allen reference, yet it is probably as intentional as Jorn Lande trying to flat out imitate Ronnie James Dio (which we know isn't the case, as he just embraces the similarities)...That being said, I do recognize a very apparent Evergrey influence, as well, and do not think it is attempted duplication. I don't mean to seem adverse to to your review. You make some good points. I was just fairly impressed with what I've heard of this release so far.
26.03.2012 - 10:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Tristus Scriptor on 26.03.2012 at 01:04

Hmmm...I hear very well executed Prog Metal here. I do agree with the Symphony X/Russel Allen reference, yet it is probably as intentional as Jorn Lande trying to flat out imitate Ronnie James Dio (which we know isn't the case, as he just embraces the similarities)...That being said, I do recognize a very apparent Evergrey influence, as well, and do not think it is attempted duplication. I don't mean to seem adverse to to your review. You make some good points. I was just fairly impressed with what I've heard of this release so far.

That is perfectly fine, of course. People have different opinions all the time. And I also said it was well executed, they are good musicians, no doubt. Two of my favourite songs were instrumental. The vocals put me off though as well as some repetition.

Interesting that you mention Evergrey, I didn't hear them at all
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.03.2012 - 10:42
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Written by BloodTears on 26.03.2012 at 10:33

That is perfectly fine, of course. People have different opinions all the time. And I also said it was well executed, they are good musicians, no doubt. Two of my favourite songs were instrumental. The vocals put me off though as well as some repetition.

Interesting that you mention Evergrey, I didn't hear them at all

Well, to be fair, I'm not extremely educated on this release yet. I'm not really as qualified to make grand statements as you, since I have spent minimal time with it. Yet, from what I heard, it was kinda unique in an Evergrey way, due to the bottom-end chunk of the riffs, which gave it a refreshing darkness that a lot of Prog and Power releases seem to be devoid of.
26.03.2012 - 16:59
Ag Fox
Angel No More
You love your orange juice, don't you?
----
loves 小巫
26.03.2012 - 19:46
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Ag Fox on 26.03.2012 at 16:59

You love your orange juice, don't you?

ahah that is true, but I really wasn't thinking about that when I made that metaphor!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 3582 | This month: 4