Metal Storm logo
New Non-Metal Album Recommendations 2012

25.03.2012 - 19:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pretty self explanatory. A general forum for everything non-metal that you dug in 2012, be it EBM, punk, noise, jazz, hip-hop et cetera. Youtube clips definitely a good idea when possible, if not a brief description at the very least. Haven't concentrated much on non-metal stuff this year but some interesting stuff that has come my way:
25.03.2012 - 19:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Mind.In.A.Box's new album seems to have done a full 180 from the chiptune stylings of R.E.T.R.O. back to the sombre, understated sound of the first album. It's pretty decent I think but not sure it matches some of their best work.

Liquid Stranger, perhaps a kind of ambient dub. Either way I think I love this album, totally relaxing yet constantly interesting. Dig that cover art too.

Now, Monolake's new one, 'Ghosts' is something else. Minimal techno is apparently what this goes by, somehow that doesn't seem to sum it up. It's creepy, strange but generally awesome. Probably best if you just check the track out.

Daniel Menche's new album, 'Guts', is some rather excellent noise. Not so much on the ultra grating high end of the spectrum rather he concentrates on a wider variety of textures, sometimes even deep pulsating death industrial approaches. Could give it a go if you're feeling brave. No youtube clips but you can find samples of it here.

Mulm's new one is your pretty standard swirling dark ambient record, albeit effective at what it does. If you like ominous soundscapes then it's probably your thing. No clips but there's samples here.

25.03.2012 - 21:28
IronAngel
Oh dear, now you've done it. I'll have to exert considerable self-control not to flood this topic. :S

I like Mulm, too. Daniel Menche I don't have much to say about, I listened to the album but it's pretty hard (for me) to rate noise. I haven't gone back to it as it didn't strike me as particularly special, but it was a pleasant enough (if you will) experience. Wasn't that interested in Monolake. The two first recommendations are totally new to me, I'll check them out. I'm not going to post a video, but I suggest you check out Aidan Baker's The Spectrum of Distraction, an interesting piece of noise (rock) apparently meant to be played on shuffle.

Susanne Sundfør's The Silicone Veil is probably my favorite album of the year so far. Amazing Norwegian singer-songwriter mixing electronics, chamber music and piano balladry. Not quite as monumental as 2010's The Brothel, but three listens say it's very nice.

Hanne Hukkelberg is another Norwegian singer-songwriter with some similarities to Susanne. She's more experimental and jazzy, less electronic. The chorus on this great song reminds me a lot of early Cocteau Twins.

Mirrorring is a collaborative project of Grouper (Liz Harris) and Tiny Vipers (Jezy Fortino). Nice ambient folk that plays on both their strengths.

Tindersticks play some dark baroque pop. They've made a bunch of film soundtracks and stuff, but their latest album The Something Rain is a solid, straightforward album again. Some sleek jazz rock influences there, too.

25.03.2012 - 21:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah I figured you'd be the one to exploit a thread like this to its maximum potential ;] Will checkout the stuff you've posted.
26.03.2012 - 00:06
Slayer666
Creating awesome and, above all else, useful threads: you're doing it right. Like I've said already, metal is fairly easy to keep track of- it's the non-metal shizz that needs to have a place of its own. I especially suck at finding new non-metal stuff myself.

tl;dr
Moar industrial, EBM, post-rock and goth rock, pleez.
26.03.2012 - 00:58
IronAngel
Written by Slayer666 on 26.03.2012 at 00:06

post-rock and goth rock, pleez.

Sieben - No Less Than All: Violin-lead one-man neofolk band in the vein of Sol Invictus or Spiritual Beggars. Kinda close to goth rock, not the kind of flute wankery Tenhi or something does.

The Beauty of Gemina - Iscariot Blues: Pretty vanilla Gothic rock, nice deep vocals that remind me of Brendan Perry a bit.

A Whisper In The Noise - To Forget: Wrote a RYM review for this one, really pretty blend of post-rock, slowcore, dream pop, ambient and chamber music. Soft, lush, lots of strings, some piano, dreamy vocals. Maybe not what the typical post-rock fan is looking for, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Dustin Wong - Dreams Say, View, Create, Shadow Leads: A rather unique post-rock album taking cues from the repetitive minimalism of Steve Reich or Terry Riley.

Crippled Black Phoenix - (Mankind) The Crafty Ape: postish progressive rock. Not their best album, not their most post-rock album, but nice enough.

Dirty Three - Toward the Low Sun: 90s post-rock legends, back with a fairly strong album. None of that sleek wall-of-sound crescendo stuff you get from most modern acts, but an organic and intimate sound. Songwriting could be more memorable I guess.

Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat - Weltuntergangsstimmung: I haven't heard this yet, but it's supposed to be a move into more electronic darkwave/gothic territory from their neofolk past. Good band so I imagine it will be good.

Caravels/Gifts From Enola split - Well Worn: I haven't actually heard the Caravels side, it's supposedly screamo, but the Gifts side has two really nice, rather aggressive post-rock tracks.

There's also a new Caspian live album. If These Trees Could Talk. Powder! Go Away. A new A Silver Mt. Zion album coming up too (the band from GY!BE's ashes). Haven't heard any of these, but they're the bigger post-rock names and buzzed albums that I imagine are worth checking out.

Gonna actually post two A Whisper In The Noise tracks, because it's goooood. The first one is leaning more towards post-rock, the second reminds me of Slowdive:
26.03.2012 - 02:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

Creating awesome and, above all else, useful threads: you're doing it right. Like I've said already, metal is fairly easy to keep track of- it's the non-metal shizz that needs to have a place of its own. I especially suck at finding new non-metal stuff myself.

tl;dr
Moar industrial, EBM, post-rock and goth rock, pleez.

It's only in the past couple of days I'm seeing the immense usefulness of RYM, being able to make your own custom charts is awesomes. (though it is lacking sometimes)
26.03.2012 - 03:40
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
This thread will be very handy, I'm definitely hopeless at finding non-metal stuff outside of prog rock
I've been enjoying these so far, Pepe Deluxe (crazy mix of stuff like psychedelic pop and surf rock) and Gazpacho (some nice Celtic folk influenced prog):
26.03.2012 - 19:39
Edmund Fogg
GOA Hop bitches. GOA psycho electro meets Hip-hop

http://fivepee.bandcamp.com/album/voltronn
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
28.03.2012 - 01:02
IronAngel
I haven't managed to get a hold of the new Ilyas Ahmed album yet, but this track sounds great. He plays drone/psych folk that falls somewhere between Grouper and Forest Swords, or something. If you dig bands like Expo '70, Barn Owl or modern Earth, I imagine you'll like it.

28.03.2012 - 01:10
Milena
gloom cookie
staff

I especially suck at finding new non-metal stuff myself.

Me too. Threads like these are most welcome.
----
7.0 means the album is good
28.03.2012 - 01:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 28.03.2012 at 01:02

I haven't managed to get a hold of the new Ilyas Ahmed album yet, but this track sounds great. He plays drone/psych folk that falls somewhere between Grouper and Forest Swords, or something. If you dig bands like Expo '70, Barn Owl or modern Earth, I imagine you'll like it.

Not too shabby. One of those bands I Spotified and realised the new album wasn't on there so I gave up. Might track it down though.
28.03.2012 - 18:49
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
28.03.2012 - 18:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Introspekrieg on 28.03.2012 at 18:49

video

Have that downloaded, will try to get round to listening to it later. Hopefully will be as good as the first.
28.03.2012 - 19:00
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by Guest on 28.03.2012 at 18:55

Written by Introspekrieg on 28.03.2012 at 18:49

video

Have that downloaded, will try to get round to listening to it later. Hopefully will be as good as the first.

It's like a time machine... how do they do it? Just as good, if not better.
28.03.2012 - 19:10
ravendeath
28.03.2012 - 19:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ravendeath on 28.03.2012 at 19:10

Amazing dark ambient industrial :

Yeah that's not a bad album, kinda martial industrial. Haven't listened to it that much yet.
28.03.2012 - 19:44
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I second Crippled Black Phoenix.

Mars Volta's latest also delivered
28.03.2012 - 19:54
ravendeath
Written by Guest on 28.03.2012 at 19:30

Written by ravendeath on 28.03.2012 at 19:10

Amazing dark ambient industrial :

Yeah that's not a bad album, kinda martial industrial. Haven't listened to it that much yet.

Yes, it's taged martial industrial, but it's more into dark atmostpheric ambient this time. Highly addictive release which must be listened as a whole. The atmospheric orchestrations are somehow similar to ones from Summoning (Michael Gregor as the main composer!).
28.03.2012 - 20:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Making my way through the new Aaron Dilloway album. Possibly the most irritating song ever (but quite nice in a bizarre sort of way):

28.03.2012 - 20:07
ravendeath
29.03.2012 - 05:09
Edmund Fogg
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
29.03.2012 - 21:08
(((O)))
Minimalistic ambient/drone, theres something really mysterious about their sound.

http://owwldrone.bandcamp.com/album/dark-places
29.03.2012 - 21:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by (((O))) on 29.03.2012 at 21:08

Minimalistic ambient/drone, theres something really mysterious about their sound.

http://owwldrone.bandcamp.com/album/dark-places

Dark ambient artists seem to love the idea of using coordinates as part of their theme in recent years. Sleep Research Facility did it, then Thomas Köner did it shortly after, now these guys.

Not bad stuff though, very droney.
29.03.2012 - 21:19
(((O)))
Quote:
Quote:

Dark ambient artists seem to love the idea of using coordinates as part of their theme in recent years. Sleep Research Facility did it, then Thomas Köner did it shortly after, now these guys.

Not bad stuff though, very droney.

Yeah, I have noticed that too. ..btw have you heard the new SRF album "Stealth"?
29.03.2012 - 21:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Speaking of Sleep Research Facility, that post alerted me to a new album on the way. Exciting times. Well, as much as you can get excited over the minimalist of ambient music:

[edit]

Oh shit, it's all happening now. There's a new Sutcliffe Jugend record, which can be listened at their Bandcamp. Seems like a very different approach, like an abstract dark ambient/experimental, spoken word record. Sounds great so far. It's on Spotify too.
29.03.2012 - 21:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by (((O))) on 29.03.2012 at 21:19

Yeah, I have noticed that too. ..btw have you heard the new SRF album "Stealth"?

I didn't see this post before I posted mine. Probably looked a bit rude of me. Like when a woman comes up with an idea, then the guy ignores her and proclaims he had the idea by himself. If you get what I mean. Not that I'm calling you a woman >.>
29.03.2012 - 21:39
(((O)))
Written by Guest on 29.03.2012 at 21:35

Written by (((O))) on 29.03.2012 at 21:19

I didn't see this post before I posted mine. Probably looked a bit rude of me. Like when a woman comes up with an idea, then the guy ignores her and proclaims he had the idea by himself. If you get what I mean. Not that I'm calling you a woman >.>

I wont forgive you, ya stole my recommendation

EDIT: ..and called me a woman!!
29.03.2012 - 21:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by (((O))) on 29.03.2012 at 21:39

I wont forgive you, ya stole my recommendation

EDIT: ..and called me a woman!!

Damn... I'm in the dog house =C
29.03.2012 - 21:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Looks like someone's sleeping on the couch tonight.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."