Metal Storm logo
New Non-Metal Album Recommendations 2012

Original post

Posted by , 25.03.2012 - 19:09
Pretty self explanatory. A general forum for everything non-metal that you dug in 2012, be it EBM, punk, noise, jazz, hip-hop et cetera. Youtube clips definitely a good idea when possible, if not a brief description at the very least. Haven't concentrated much on non-metal stuff this year but some interesting stuff that has come my way:
04.08.2012 - 04:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Edmund Fogg on 04.08.2012 at 04:49

Yeeaaah... I kinda do that a lot. As soon as I hear a hint of Metal I class it in that category ignoring the other influences on the album. I think I should take a little break from Metal, just to refocus.

Well what's nice about Necro Deathmort is that crosses loads of genres. so I imagine it be great for listening to when you're not sure what you feel like listening to
04.08.2012 - 15:48
Uldreth

Found this russian band yesterday, they released a full length this year's january which can be freely downloaded off their Bandcamp page.

They are designated as post-punk/shoegaze but I honestly don't know what post-punk is (as in how it sounds) so to describe this in other terms, atmosphere and structure seems to be shoegazy (it uses more conventional structures than post-rock) with lots of post-rock-ish riffing (that is nontheless used in a bit more conventional way) and weird vocals. At first I didn't really like vocals but they are seeming to grow on me.

I only found live recordings on youtube and I dislike the vocals in these but here it is:

04.08.2012 - 20:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Have to say the strain of melody running through this song is wonderful. Really emotive stuff. I'm generally a huge fan of Desiderii Marginis anyway and this new album is shaping up to be very pleasant sounding dark ambient (though it's probably their least dark effort to date).

05.08.2012 - 20:06
Edmund Fogg

Isn't that breathtaking?

Fate of Uncertainity - Null Cycles

Bandcamp
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
06.08.2012 - 05:25
Edmund Fogg

Some trippy atmospheric stuff, all made by one guy. And with an album name like that, you know you'll check it out.

You Big Ox - Flowers Grow From Baby Corpese
----
06.08.2012 - 23:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.08.2012 - 04:59
oblong
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.08.2012 at 18:51

Very relaxing trance, suitable for essentially any situation that requires a sort of futuristic psychedelic ambient backdrop. Music you can fall asleep to, write poetry to, fall asleep to, or just sit back to and enjoy an excellent buildup that eventually leads to some pretty sexy almost dance-inducing beats.

Didn't mind this at all, thanks for the post.

Don't know why, but it encouraged me to blow the dust off my Orbital albums, not necessarily new but the 'Blue' and 'Brown' albums might be something you may enjoy (but I'm assuming you're already familiar with them).

This is from an Indie video game called 'Capsized' - the OST is pretty good to listen to: (again, not really new)

07.08.2012 - 15:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Hopefully this hasn't already been recommended, but Grendel's Timewave Zero is an awesome release worth checking out. Epic, dark, aggressive, and catchy - aggrotech-lite (more like futurepop) for a weekend-long rave or a simple night out at a club.

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.08.2012 - 16:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.08.2012 at 15:23

Hopefully this hasn't already been recommended, but Grendel's Timewave Zero is an awesome release worth checking out. Epic, dark, aggressive, and catchy - aggrotech-lite (more like futurepop) for a weekend-long rave or a simple night out at a club.

Meh, heard this a while back and to me it sounds somewhat watered down compared to some of the previous releases. Aggrotech bands have a horrible habit of going down the trancey/poppy route in their careers.
07.08.2012 - 16:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Personally I don't mind it, although I suppose that's because I haven't largely followed many aggrotech bands. I've been recently favoring Combichrist and Psyclon 9, but I've also been listening to some more traditional EBM so the balance doesn't upset me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.08.2012 - 16:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.08.2012 at 16:08

You need some power/rhythmic noise and some scatty IDM and breakcore in your life

07.08.2012 - 16:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Resisting the urge to play all at once, but I'll definitely give these all a listen as soon as I'm finished up listening to this other album on Youtube.
----
07.08.2012 - 16:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
To be honest the second and final tracks/bands aren't anything mindblowing but ESA seems pretty ok.

Actually you might like the new Suicide Commando single, it's pretty catchy and ideal club-fodder:

07.08.2012 - 21:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 07.08.2012 at 16:45
Actually you might like the new Suicide Commando single...

That I do. And I've only listened to Bind, Torture, Kill in its entirety, but I think it's safe to say I don't see myself really disliking anything in this discography. I'm very easily pleased when it comes to EBM I suppose.
----
08.08.2012 - 01:59
IronAngel

I have yet to get past the first track of this album, but I'm getting really excited. This is awesome. Kinda like Pygmalion-era Slowdive or Talk Talk with a healthy dose of drone and some of that Earth-like riff repetition. Might make my top 30 of the year, if this song's anything to judge by.

08.08.2012 - 12:30
IronAngel

Also, The Pirate Ship Quintet is on Spotify. Nothing groundbreaking, but exceptionally enjoyable post-rock nonetheless. Some screamo and neoclassical (read: strings) elements, too. Barring some borderline releases (Earth, Planning for Burial, Swans), it's certainly up there in my top three post-rock albums of the year.

09.08.2012 - 01:53
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.08.2012 - 07:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Kay, see that release ^

Throw it away, and listen to this.

http://librarytapes.bandcamp.com/album/sun-peeking-through
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.08.2012 - 07:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Personally I'd throw them both away. The first link was completely unsatisfying and the second one didn't have anything going on for me to even listen to.
----
09.08.2012 - 12:25
IronAngel

Oh cool, new Library Tapes. They've never really blown me away, but their stuff is consistently nice.

That Hammock album is ancient, though. It's a classic for sure. They seem to have a new album due in October.

New Mount Eerie has leaked. It's his second album this year.

09.08.2012 - 17:19
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Wow, I loved both of those :/

But Library Tapes was excellent.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.08.2012 - 16:03
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.08.2012 - 17:09
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Papa Roach's new album The Connection is set to release soon.

14.08.2012 - 17:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.08.2012 at 17:09

These recommendation threads are for albums that have already been released.
----
14.08.2012 - 18:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.08.2012 at 17:29

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.08.2012 at 17:09

These recommendation threads are for albums that have already been released.

Written by IronAngel on 09.08.2012 at 12:25

Oh cool, new Library Tapes. They've never really blown me away, but their stuff is consistently nice.

That Hammock album is ancient, though. It's a classic for sure. They seem to have a new album due in October.

Just like that, Papa Roach's new album has been leaked. May be on youtube or AOL..idk. But, surely its been leaked.

You gonna find many guys posting new album information which haven't released it yet. I'm NOT the only one.
14.08.2012 - 18:43
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.08.2012 at 18:38
You gonna find many guys posting new album information which haven't released it yet. I'm NOT the only one.

There have only been about three people to do that thus far. Most of us know that you don't recommend something you haven't even listened to. Just sayin'.
----
14.08.2012 - 18:58
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.08.2012 at 18:43

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.08.2012 at 18:38

There have only been about three people to do that thus far. Most of us know that you don't recommend something you haven't even listened to. Just sayin'.

Oh please.....Mr hoopajoo. Your "Just saying" always sucks.

I recommend only those stuffs which I have already been through and really LIKED it. Give me one example( or my recommendation) which you think that has not been listened by me and I randomly recommended here.

Now, stop acting like an obsolete elitist rotted donkey's dick.
15.08.2012 - 04:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
...Await's witty remark...
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.08.2012 - 12:24
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Boxcar Willy on 15.08.2012 at 04:22

...Await's witty remark...

Lol. How can you have a come back to this "Now, stop acting like an obsolete elitist rotted donkey's dick."
Plus witty remarks will go over his head for sure.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
19.08.2012 - 04:14
Edmund Fogg

That is probably THE ultimate non-Metal album of the year. Such a strong noble and desperate voice, backed up by a great mixture of atmospheric noise, Post-Rock and some kind of trip-hop.

Alex Tedesco - Pretty Lies

Free Download you cheap bastards
----