Metal Storm logo
New Non-Metal Album Recommendations 2012

Original post

Posted by , 25.03.2012 - 19:09
Pretty self explanatory. A general forum for everything non-metal that you dug in 2012, be it EBM, punk, noise, jazz, hip-hop et cetera. Youtube clips definitely a good idea when possible, if not a brief description at the very least. Haven't concentrated much on non-metal stuff this year but some interesting stuff that has come my way:
24.10.2012 - 21:12
The Turbanator

Written by R'Vannith on 20.10.2012 at 18:49

Apparently I've been living under a rock as I've never heard of this group before, but I'm really enjoying "Godspeed You! Black Emperor's" latest (their most recent output in a while it seems):

Good stuff. You should check out the rest of their albums, especially "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" and "F♯ A♯ ∞"

Both are my favorite of theirs.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
31.10.2012 - 22:21
The Turbanator

Not sure if this should be in here or the Metal thread, but this guy is a friend of mine. Released his stuff last night. Ambient/Experimental/Electronic metal? No idea what this is, but worth checking out both these records.

marsmodule.bandcamp.com
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
05.11.2012 - 20:10
Unhealer
Eclecticist
A band where a friend of mine plays just released their first EP as well, some sort of alternative/progressive band with a heavy touch. You can hear some Mars Volta, Deftones, Mastodon (maybe just in the riffing) and Jane's Addiction. I really dig it, not just recommending because my friend plays there
Band is called Verticalia, EP called "Utopía". It's steaming here: http://verticalia.bandcamp.com/
13.11.2012 - 06:08
Edmund Fogg

The game sucked, but the soundtrtack is golden. Must Buy!

Jessica Curry - Dear Esther

Bandcamp
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
19.11.2012 - 03:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Rather stunningly haunting piano minimalism:

Whole album: Bandcamp
19.11.2012 - 05:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 19.11.2012 at 03:38

Rather stunningly haunting piano minimalism:

Whole album: Bandcamp

Awesome stuff, but damn, I don't understand why "composers" charge so much for their albums, I can't afford $10 Euro's plus shipping, that's insane. It's the same for Library tapes.

/rage
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.11.2012 - 22:44
IronAngel

Old news is old! But yeah, I dig that album quite a bit. In a similar vein, try the new Greg Haines. Moments Eluding, not the orchestral Digressions.
19.11.2012 - 23:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Fair enough =P How about some new Jodis? (Aaron Turner / James Plotkin project)

Bandcamp
20.11.2012 - 10:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
This is pretty good stuff. It's advertised by the label on Bandcamp as "metal", and it certainly sounds like there's metal in there however after watching this video it's pretty evident there aren't any guitars so I figured it should probably go in the non-metal recs...

----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

20.11.2012 - 16:26
Vombatus
Potorro
Two weeks left before the album comes out.... but this already sounds great ! Praise The Goat !

21.11.2012 - 21:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Amazed how little fanfare this has received. Noise/Industrial pioneer Boy Rice's first recording in over 10 years:

22.11.2012 - 04:47
Edmund Fogg

New Experimental project from a French friend of mine. It's oniric as hell. Reccomended for fans of wierd unorthodox use of many musical styles.

I beheaded the Cosmos - I used to Fuck with Eva Braun

Bandcamp
----
22.11.2012 - 14:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Edmund Fogg on 22.11.2012 at 04:47

New Experimental project from a French friend of mine. It's oniric as hell. Reccomended for fans of wierd unorthodox use of many musical styles.

I beheaded the Cosmos - I used to Fuck with Eva Braun

Sounds quite excellent to be honest.
26.11.2012 - 17:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New song from the upcoming Igorrr record. It may not be out yet but Igorrr have never failed to disappoint ('Moisissure' was easily my album of 2008):

29.11.2012 - 20:33
Edmund Fogg

Never loose the Pulse!! New minimalist groovy electronic by Almeeva
----
30.11.2012 - 16:32
IronAngel

Holy fuck that Igorrr song is amazing. Gotta remember to check out Jodis later, hadn't heard of them before.

New Jessica Bailiff is sweet, if pretty tame.

Also fell in love with Anna von Hausswolff. Art Pop with some ambient sections. At times she sounds so much like Kate Bush it's uncanny. (Not too much on this track, though.)
01.12.2012 - 21:30
Demerzel

Another new song by Igorrr.
02.12.2012 - 18:31
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Edmund Fogg on 22.10.2012 at 04:05

Instrumental Post/Prog Rock that's pretty trippy

Syberia - Drawing a Future

Bandcamp

I checked this out and sounds really promising! I have been looking for some new prog/experimental/alternative rock bands now and this is really good stuff.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
03.12.2012 - 04:11
Edmund Fogg

Written by AnGina-- on 02.12.2012 at 18:31

I checked this out and sounds really promising! I have been looking for some new prog/experimental/alternative rock bands now and this is really good stuff.

Then you absolutly have to check out Mono. Pretty unique Post Rock.

http://monoofjapan.bandcamp.com/
----
03.12.2012 - 12:28
Apatheria

New Austrasian Goat! The Goat has completely strayed from all metal roots, this time sticking with a martial industrial/neo-folk sound. Admittedly a few tracks are a tad on the subpar side of the spectrum, and the album isn't as strong as his doom-metal offerings have been, but there are some truly engrossing tracks, like this one.

Paradoxical Injunction
----
Heavy metal is the law.
14.12.2012 - 04:28
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Some nice mentally-deranged, aggressive jazz-fusion. Of course, they are Japanese.

14.12.2012 - 15:20
Urs Blank

Written by Unhealer on 14.12.2012 at 04:28

Some nice mentally-deranged, aggressive jazz-fusion. Of course, they are Japanese.

Nice find; Very experimental, complex yet accessible, I'll probably dig this a lot, thanks

Seems they don't have a bancamp page but here is their myspace.
14.12.2012 - 22:43
Edmund Fogg

Written by Urs Blank on 14.12.2012 at 15:20

myspace

Wait What? Some bands continue to update their Myspace page? Whoa!
----
14.12.2012 - 23:08
Urs Blank

Written by Edmund Fogg on 14.12.2012 at 22:43

Wait What? Some bands continue to update their Myspace page? Whoa!

I'm not even sure it's updated, but that's the only page where i could find more of their music And maybe it's some kind of vintage artistic statement
15.12.2012 - 04:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well, this sounds like it might be a bit fantastic. Occult/hard rock, female fronted. Only listened to couple of songs but I'm defo going to like this.

15.12.2012 - 04:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.12.2012 at 04:14

Some good material, but overall? No-nononono No No-no-Nono No. It's a MS invisible band.

Good but no? Makes sense.

Glad to see it's here, will be my next staff pick methinks. Excellent stuff.
15.12.2012 - 05:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Love that album. Awesome cover too.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.12.2012 - 00:51
Uldreth

Did a quick search, found nothing, so sorry if it was already posted. This is probably the best hip-hop album released this year.
20.12.2012 - 02:21
IronAngel

Written by Guest on 19.11.2012 at 23:57

Fair enough =P How about some new Jodis? (Aaron Turner / James Plotkin project)

Bandcamp

Surprised by how much I liked this when I finally got around to listening to it, by the way. As I said on RYM (in one of my worse reviews, but nobody else had written anything about it):

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of Aaron Turner. I'm generally skeptical when a project is advertised with his name: another slice of boring man's metal, no doubt. Maybe it's some unfounded prejudice in the back of my mind, but Mamiffer, Greymachine and Old Man Gloom all sound extremely derivative within the framework of their genres. I'm lukewarm even about most of Isis's discography, despite their undeniable high points.

Imagine my surprise when I actually liked this album. And not just "yeah it's okay" liked, I mean really liked. Minimalistic guitar motifs repeated ad nauseam, some hushed drones humming in the background, and fairly bland but sonically fitting clean vocals. The album sounds cold and detached, but not so much so that you couldn't enjoy the experience. It sways along lazily, the sharp distortion of the guitar echoing in the silence.

I'm of the school that thinks comparisons are usually central to a good review. In some ways it's lazy, but the real basis of our talking about music or comprehending it internally is in relation to what we know. Behind flowery words and pseudo-intellectual posturing, reviews really boil down to two things: "I like/dislike this" and "Sounds like X". I'm going on this tangent because I have very little more to write about Black Curtain. But to stay somewhat on topic: the album sounds something like a cross between Codeine and 21st century Earth.

I can't say any particular tracks stand out as my personal favorites. Overall, it's a solid and (given one of the creative minds behind it) surprisingly original album. I probably won't return to it often in the long run, but I'm sure at some point I'm happy to rediscover it.
22.12.2012 - 18:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
http://djmatduke.com/album/the-project-mayhem-ep

MEGARAVE.

(2010, but he has new stuff out, I just like this a lot)
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS