02. Necrolust
03. Funeral Fog
04. The Freezing Moon
05. Carnage
06. Buried By Time And Dust
07. Pagan Fears
08. Chainsaw Gutsfuck
09. Pure Fucking Armageddon

Any black metal fan knows that live album! So making the review for Metal Storm was logic. Mayhem released one of these evil seeds with Dead [in my opinion, the best singer that the band has had] and Euronymous, the guitar player and founder of this cult band.

This live album puts the emphasis on the unholy and oppressive side of Mayhem's music, the four Norwegians play as they have to, there's nothing to say about that. The track list is well done [there's always someone who would disagree but oh well?], which includes the best songs from the band and among them, the beautiful ?Freezing Moon? that is tremendous due to the tortured voice of Dead.

Everything is perfect on that live album but the hazardous recording sound. However, these imperfections strengthen the unholy dimension of Mayhem's music. Live In Leipzig is a witness of the whole intensity that only a black metal gig can produce. If you still don's have it get that album quickly and if you don's like it, well, that means that you don's like pure black metal music.

Written by N K Monarch | 21.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 127 users
01.11.2006 - 08:01
Stuart39
Account deleted
I agree. This cd should be in evrey metal heads collection. Its the darkside, and its amazin'.
01.11.2006 - 17:50
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
One of the best live albums released, IMO.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.11.2006 - 19:32
Basso
Account deleted
This album is so cool. I cant really say I love this album, but the vocals on this album will forever haunt me. R.I.P Dead
08.01.2007 - 01:37
HellRaiz0r
Account deleted
Great album, but to hear Deads voice i prefer Out from the dark, its a pretty rare vinyl so good luck finding it
08.01.2007 - 15:18
Baz Anderson

black metal has never been my biggest genré, but i have this album - and.. well its black metal isnt it. haha
the sound is great unlike some other live albums and the whole live atmosphere really makes it feel more oppressing and haunting

it isnt the stuff i listen to every day, but this album is rather enjoyable
17.01.2007 - 02:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
for me its an overrated album, I believe its overrated mostly because of Dead, it being his only official recording before he off'd himself people find that kind of cool, but standing on its own I think its a pretty weak album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.01.2007 - 02:55
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I've been searching for this on DC++ for quite a while now, but I still haven't had any luck. I'll put it on the list of the stuff I'll search for on DC++ on the weekend.
17.01.2007 - 04:57
Southern Wind
Account deleted
This is just the best black metal release ever!... cliché at this will sound, this albums captures the pure true essence of evil
23.03.2008 - 18:16
LSD-25
Account deleted
And we have euronymous in this piece as well, this is a "cult" of norwegian black metal from early 90's
28.03.2008 - 07:31
Martin_metal

This album was better then I thougt. I think dead was the best vocalist in Mayhem..
28.03.2008 - 08:33
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Written by Martin_metal on 28.03.2008 at 07:31

This album was better then I thougt. I think dead was the best vocalist in Mayhem..

I would agree. As a black metal fan, I of course was aware of the apparent importance of this Live album. But it was only apparent. If I download, I'll download something new or currently relevant, normally a studio album, so Live in Leipzig never occurred to me. Having managed to pick up the re-issue recently, I'm really impressed with the humility of Dead's voice - naked, no knob-twiddling tricks. It's powerful. Humble but powerful. Just as bm vocals should be. It's rare to come across vocal stylings that truly aren't arrogant and cheesy in bm, while still retaining the unique sound of that version of screeching. This recording, by the way, is also the grungiest black metal record I've heard. Some of that poor-sound-technician stuff and outbursts of feedback, coupled with the sufficiently fuzzy crunch of the now classically recognized Mayhem distortion could have come straight out of a Nirvana gig - fvckin' loving it.

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
28.03.2008 - 16:22
Martin_metal

The version I bought was the re-issue =)
12.07.2008 - 23:37
WinteRob
Account deleted
In my opinion this album is better than "De Mysteriis"
22.06.2009 - 17:06
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Deathcrush to the rawest level Live.

Great album. Great review.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.08.2009 - 17:55
Rating: 10
HATHOR

Great album (I could almost see Dead cut himself on stage)
22.08.2021 - 07:16
Rating: 8
BlankFile

Amazingly energetic live album, with great performances. An absolute Black Metal classic.

Hits total: 8953 | This month: 19